Make the bot AI better.

Users who are viewing this thread

:facepalm:
This has been something that's been a problem with the M&B games for too damn long now.

The bot AI in these games is dumb as dirt.

Here's two examples of what I'm talking about.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/924793784747856312/C291465B7F728E0DF8C3F2BB2EA071AB782D1594/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/924793784747856469/17A73E16A2EDA1280496D403F590A2F873271498/

This is ridiculous.

I'm ok if the AI bots not exactly being geniuses, but the fact that these bots could just get stuck on almost anything is just down right lazy on the part of the developers. There are many mods I've been able to try, but many of them are lessened by the AI's complete lack of any pathfinding and or the slightest bit of "thought" other than to just charge straight at the enemy, god forbid whatever might be in the way.

Now, I have no idea if you dev guys are ever going to finish Bannerlord, but the least you could do is make the AI not so ridiculously braindead. Just give the bots some basic pathfinding AI to where they're at least able to figure out how to go around stuff.

NW was never meant to be a single player game, so the NW bots aren't too clever. I guess bots are just meant to serve their original purpose of running around plain maps with a few trees in native campaign. My only advice would be to give them commands so they go around things...?

~Olaff~ said:
NW was never meant to be a single player game, so the NW bots aren't too clever. I guess bots are just meant to serve their original purpose of running around plain maps with a few trees in native campaign. My only advice would be to give them commands so they go around things...?

Dude, it's no better in the other versions of the game either. And I've seen this in many mods as well. The AI IS garbage.

Oliveran has already modded the bots to be alot better and smarter. Here is his Youtube link where you can see it for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7AcuzZr0t9x2cG4ps2RdA

It's called making a navigation mesh for your scene. There's no navmesh generation in a 2010 game like Warband, so you'll have to craft your own. I'm pretty sure they confirmed there will be navmesh automatization in Bannerlord.

The AI from an Indie 2011 fighting sim isn't going to be tactically competent. Just be glad Bannerlord's looks slightly less braindead.

Well guys, I'm more so talking about the bot's ability to handle basic pathfinding. Like being able to just go around a fence or something like that.

And yes, I know that you can make pathfinding mesh, but there are times where I see the bots just go up the ladders or siege ramps just perfectly. But then there are times where the bot AI can't even go up a single siege tower, when it's the only real way into the castle.

Not to mention how there have been some mod maps that aren't exactly a labyrinth that the bots just get stuck on the smallest of things. Like in the screeshots I posted in the OP of this thread.

I just think there can be a lot of strategy to this game as well, but the problem is that the AI is so dumb, not just the pathfinding, that it's extremely hard to properly pull off a lot of the time.

chubbyninja89 said:
Well guys, I'm more so talking about the bot's ability to handle basic pathfinding. Like being able to just go around a fence of something like that.

And yes, I know that you can make pathfinding mesh, but there are times where I see the bots just go up the ladders or siege ramps just perfectly. But then there are times where the bot AI can't even go up a single siege tower, when it's the only real way into the castle.

Not to mention how there have been some mod maps that aren't exactly a labyrinth that the bots just get stuck on the smallest of things. Like in the screeshots I posted in the OP of this thread.

I just think there can be a lot of strategy to this game as well, but the problem is that the AI is so dumb, not just the pathfinding, that it's extremely hard to properly pull off a lot of the time.
They just answered it by saying, it's made by MAP MAKERS, not by coders. I've personally made an attempt at writing a scanner for the whole map, save all positional data of the whole map (by a 3000x3000 scanning size, roughly), load in and calculate the best pathway between two points, dodging objects etc; for this to work, my code needed (after being optimized) about 90 seconds to just get the most easy path for one bot - in Lua, multithreading. Obviously it didn't use any other programming solutions to realisticly calculate real-time pathing, like splitting up the map into zones, creating breadcrums and making 'exit routes' between zones. Thus, making your complain on the AI in this game 'being dumb' pretty much ruled out. It's much more complex than you think, and there's a reason why companies need several years to create a lot of games; even with several extremely skilled coders, all leagues above my own skills in programming.

The only other way for this to work, is to use the one written by Taleworlds. Go into Edit Mode, learn to use AI meshes, and create some yourself. The AI isn't "dumb", you just need to learn to use the already built-in mechanics to properly make the pathing work. Whether you like it or not, it's your problem that you refuse to learn how to use meshes, not the AI or anyone else.

See this link to solve your issues. Nobody said mapmakers will 100% guaranteed fix all AI meshes for their maps, so either you do it yourself, or just simply don't play the map.

I know that there's ways to do it. But we shouldn't have to resort to editing such a basic thing in the game.

I'm just pointing out the fact that the devs of the game didn't make the AI a little more flexible than it is. And seriously dude. Trying to use that whole path finding thing you talked about seems more like an excuse.

These bots seem to have the programming of Goombas from the original Super Mario Bros. Just walk straight forward and never stop. End of story.

I'm not talking about making path finding so good that the bots can find their way through a giant labyrinth, I'm talking about simply being able to go around a fence or some rocks, or finding their way out of a trench or something. Just some basic path finding would make these games a lot better.

chubbyninja89 said:

I know that there's ways to do it. But we shouldn't have to resort to editing such a basic thing in the game.

I'm just pointing out the fact that the devs of the game didn't make the AI a little more flexible than it is. And seriously dude. Trying to use that whole path finding thing you talked about seems more like an excuse.

These bots seem to have the programming of Goombas from the original Super Mario Bros. Just walk straight forward and never stop. End of story.

I'm not talking about making path finding so good that the bots can find their way through a giant labyrinth, I'm talking about simply being able to go around a fence or some rocks, or finding their way out of a trench or something. Just some basic path finding would make these games a lot better.
If that's your opinion, you're not aware of the complexity of programming when producing whole games, where everything must work within the system and world creates - flexibly, and dynamically. You're also not aware of how an amazing, free, simple-to-use solution you been given. I'll drop out of this conversation, as you're both in denial of how the world works.

For for your information:
By definition and by way of solution, a code that can recurse itself through a labyrinth, past objects in it's way (rocks, walls, trees) works the same on a fundamental level, so it's already in place.

That's why I put my own pathfinding script as an example. Because it's not just about putting time in it, but to make it work within the system - I already got the system handed to me, so I didn't have to do anything other than write the pathfinding itself.

Back
Top Bottom