[DISCUSSION] Tales of Pendor (V3.7)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jocelyn and Boadice inched closer to each other as they walked, chatting animatedely about Veccavian traditions. Upon reaching the embracing Alyssa and Alistair, Jocelyn was about to utter something but Boadice clutched onto his arm and in a silent manner urged him to walk on. They were closer than they had ever been. Her heart beat loudly filling her ears, her face reddened and a wave of excitement arose in her body. Jocelyn did not fight the pull, he was however surprised by her body being so close. He savoured the moment and suddenly felt hot under the armour.

Alistair rose unhurriedly to his feet while Alyssa looked on, humored by his movements. Though the effects had waned, his body had recovered not. With Alyssa under his arm, the two staggered towards the Captain's tent.

Sara ran out of the tent laughing as she put on a battered Silvermist Helm. While she adjusted her Noldor Ranger armour around her hips, she said out loudly, "Siggy, we ought to leave." At her words the large figure of Sigismund made even larger by the Ebony Platemail and Bear Claw helm he wore, warped out of the tent saying, "I wanted you to come take me." Sara burst into laughter saying, "I do not know who would take whom." In a tight embrace they sauntered to the Captain's tent.

Hatakir's mind drifted back to Barclay, he could hear the children's voices cheer as the rocks hit him. "Get him!" "Yes, kill him!" He saw his smaller self trying to run away but to no avail. They had him surrounded and at the mercy of their kicks and hits. All of a sudden the children shouted complaints as they were being shoved away by two knights in grey armour. From where he lay on the chalky earth of Barclay, they seemed as giants with Morningstars sitting on their buckles. In his bloodied view came the radiant face of a little girl, younger than himself and from her appearance he judged that she was one of the nobles. There was something he saw in her eyes as she asked, "Are you alright?"

Hatakir's eyes cleared and his mind took in the interior of his tent with Julia asking whether he was alright. He noticed his fist was clenched and Leth had moved a step away, his hand on his blade's hilt. Most of the commanders had already entered and they wondered what it was that ensued between the three. Sara and Sinclair entered into a space full of blank stares as Leth said, " Captain Sir, I await your answer." Julia explained to the others what Leth wanted to know and their curiosity was raised, thus all eyes were on Hatakir.

He began, "Leth what you have said is somewhat of a shock for I knew not my real parents and I only stumble upon the heritage they left unto me. Most of all, I was persecuted and hunted just for being different." With that he ran his hand through his dreadlocks, brown as his skin, holding them at the back of his head. The commanders saw his ears bore a slight tip and twist smaller than those of Leth. They inched closer to have a better look and true to day, they were as they saw.

Hatakir continued, "Their constant attacks only served to be the pillar of my strength for I gave them the fight they were looking for." He let go of his hair, shaking his head and letting it droop over his face. Turning to Leth he said, "Your revelation clearly beckons I reconsider my standing with the Noldor ..." Before he could finish, Leth let out another question, "What of the Numero Codexa you so enthusiastically chant?" Hatakir paused, looked across the commanders' faces and said, "I do not know what it is but, it is power beyond Pendor, it even is the Valdis Charta for my founded order of the Nox Reapers and Raiders." He continued, "Is there any objection to continuing with the matter at hand?"

All were silent, what they had heard sank deeper in their minds. They grabbed the leather stools and sat down, whispers running amongst them. Hatakir minded them not. Leslie started stating the amount in the inventory. This quelled the private discussions.

Small favours

Qaggoth-Shaal moves and her pure white robe shifted around her when she rose from her bench. All murmurs and small talks stopped and all heads turn to her.
“Qaggoth-Jeag, you brought disturbing news to my court. I`ll send a few of my personal servants to check it right now. Meanwhile I`ll grant you the private audience you asked for. Come.”
They went toward her private chambers but when the slave creature tried to enter first the guards stopped it.
“What does that mean?” Qaggoth-Shaal spoke with surprise. “Aren`t you capable to train your own slaves any more?”
The little creature turns toward her and look at her in such a way as she was a simpleton. Finally it said on rough Baatetsu language: “I must check the room first. For her security.”
Qaggoth-Shaal stares at it.
“Insolent …”
“Forget it, we need to talk, Mistress.” Qaggoth-Jeag snaps two taloned fingers to the slave creature. “Shut up and stand aside.”

It wrinkles savagely but bowed and did what it was told. Inside, Qaggoth-Shaal moved toward the nearest window showing great view toward impressive lava lake. She spoke with low voice.
“You risked a lot with that gamble in Pendor. Your lies may give you a few moons of time to check it, but in the end I`ll know the truth.”
Qaggoth-Jeag stood stiff and still on the place for visitors.
“I did not liеd, my mistress. Your servants will be here shortly with confirmation.” She made a short pause and Qaggoth-Shaal notices that she was somehow distracted, as the accusations were barely a minor thing. “I … I have a personal matter that I`d like to discuss, if you allow me.”
Tracing her favourite carving of Edali-spider over black Nether wood Qaggoth-Shaal gave her permission.
“Lets suppose that someone offers you a … thousands slaves to spend a night with a Baatetsu female from your court. What would …”
She shivers in fear when Qaggoth-Shaal suddenly appears in front of her. Fire surrounds hew body and her eyes brightened with magical power.
“Who told you that? SPEAK!”

“I … I … It is only a suggestion …”
“So it was your father! I`ll kill the wretchet little mongrel and I`ll eat his liver!”
“Kill him, if you want.” Qaggoth-Jeag cowered in front of her. “But … what could he possibly have in common with my question?”
“FUC.!” Qaggoth-Shaal roars in fury looking at her daughter`s surprise. “You know nothing!”
“To know what? I don`t understand, mistress!”
“Stop playing with me and speak plainly, little girl! You`ve barely reached 4187 years and you are too young to play cunning with me!”
And she spills everything. For the conquest. For Mreedvaardu and his lover from Nearga family. For the suspiciouness about her sisters’ interference …
“… I put my fingers inside her and she smelled of him! I thought that he is really interested in me only but … but …”
“Reun is too stupid to create a convincing plot.” Qaggoth-Shaal nods and saw how Jeag`s face tremble. “Are you telling me that your sisters are still alive? Really?”

“Yes, yes, of course they are.” Jeag confirmed somehow distracted.
“And your invasion turn out to be successful in the end?”
“PENDOR MAY FALL INTO THE PITS OF OBLIVION!” Jeag finally lost her nerves. “Someone is offering a price for me and you are only asking for …”
“What about it? Shaal spoke with such a calm, reasonable tone that Jeag could only stare.
“But … but that means that I – a Princess from the rulling Baatetsu family …” She barely found enough strength to pronounce it aloud. “… am just a slave girl for sale!”
Qaggoth-Shaal pointed calmly.
“You are a devouted servant of our goddess. She took a decision. Do I sense an intention of disobedience? Or you intent to obey your goddess only for what is convenient for you personally?”
“You know something! And it is connected with my father! If you don`t tell me I`ll drain it from him. I have the right to know! Am I a whore for sale? Your own daughter!”
The power of the strike sent her flying back toward the door. Jeag hit the heavy door with her whole body and fell on the black stones like a bag of rice. Somebody began to hit the gate from the other side.

“MISTRESS! Let me go, you filthy rats, I`ll mmmfff!”
Shaal used her magic to strangle her daughter.
“Your own father purchased me from Erida for 1830 slaves. You should be proud that you`ve managed to reach higher price than me!”
Gasping for air Jeag murmur, half-choked.
“Father?!?”
“Do you really belive that I can have the slightest interest toward a little male with no extraordinary magical ability, no great fighting skills or unique talent?” Shaal roars furiously. “What in the eight hells can attract me toward HIM? The goddess spoke and I obeyed.”
“But you are the QUEEN!”
Shaal releases her power and left the stunned Jeag to breath.

“Erida is capable to block all my magical talents, not to mention everything else. I felt it … almost within my reach but still unable to use it, even the slightest spark … Can you live without your magic?”
“As ordinary unGifted creature???”
“Unless you can, you WILL obey our goddess. And you will not speak about it to anyone, or you will feed the Edali-spiders. You may go!”

Alone in her chamber Qaggoth-Jeag nerviously touch her loose saphire-blue night robe. The nearest candle was burned almost to its end and she knew that the little creature waited just behind the door. She could smell its eagerness and anxiousness. The candle`s flame trembles and faded and at the same moment a knock came from the door.
“Enter.”
Gaduilm came inside and bowed.
“Your slave, Rambulhwa, is here for personal audience, my mistress.”
“Yes.” She whispers barely.
Gaduilm retreated and other steps came forward. The gate closes behind it. The little creature spoke with a bow.
“It is a pleasure to see you, mistress.”
“The pleasure is all yours.”
“Nevertheless, it is a pleasure.”

The steps came closer. She shivers in anticipation.
“I`m tired. Do what you want and leave me.”
“To leave you?” Its voice came with stunned disbelieve. “Not a chance. Mistress.”
She removes her night robe, feeling almost physically its eyes upon her.
“What must be done it will be done.” She whispers barely.
“A whole continent is in your feet, your sisters are defeated, the Benazi cur is dead and the Hero of Pendor is your personal slave. I thought that you will be happy.”
Her eyes opens and she looks at him carefully. Dressed in light kaftan and strangely, wearing thick metal boots, the little creature stood immobile right next to her, arms crossed at its thin chest.
“And since when you care about it?”
“Since the moment I saw you in the mirror, many moons ago. It was the day when Gaduilm sold me the red polearm, I do remember it as it is was yesterday. Your beauty …”

“I hate you so much!”
The words slip from her mouth and the little creature smiles, revealing its small, blunt teeth.
“Everybody hates me. I find it … amusing. But you seem a bit … disturbed. What bother you, mistress?”
“YOU! I want you out of here!”
“That could be arranged. If you grant me another boon.”
“What?” She stares into it with disbelieve. “Whatever you wish, just get out of here!”
“I want the animal you thrown me into it.”
“No!”
“As you wish.”
The creature began to unlock its kaftan and Qaggoth-Jeag swells fron tension.
“Fine! Fine, you can have her! Just … go away.”
A few moments later another thought strikes her.

“Why do you want her?”
“She said that she possess the gift of a Seer. I don`t believe in such noncence but I will put it to a test. If she fail, I`ll kill her. I she speaks true however, I think that she could be of help to us.”
“There is no way she could agree to help me!”
“If I`m able to persuade her, what you will give me for that?”
“What do you want?”
“I will think of something of equal worth, don`t worry about it. One day you will invite me into your bed by your own will. But not today. Before I leave however, you may want me to kiss your fine round arse.”
“I can`t imagine any reason to let you touch me!”
The slave sighed with obviously boredom.
“Look at it from the good side, mistress.”
“There is no good side in that!”

“Tomorrow I will kiss Erida Occisor herself. And only you will know that it will happens after I`ve kissed your magnificent arse, don`t you think?”
In a heartbeat Qaggoth-Jeag turn over her stomach in her wide bed.
“Go on!” She orders with scruffing voice. “Kiss away! And don`t miss a spot! I want you to cover my arse with kisses!”
“I`m at your orders, mistress.”

After midnight a knock from the inside came, and the guards opened the double door. The new slave appears, holding his mistress`s night robe in hand and bows.
“With your permission, mistress, I`ll take my leave.”
Qaggoth-Jeag`s voice came from her bed.
“You may go. I`m tired.”
“Yes mistress.”
The slave nods to Gaduilm.
“By the order of our mistress you must release a prisoner under my care. Let’s go.”
The lock suddenly opens and Qaggoth-Amas`Ne cower in the backside of her cell. The blades or the hot iron this time? Suddenly the smell of roasted meat came to her noistils and she urged forward. The inquisitor never brought food.
Rambulhwa enters and step close to her. She barely suppress the urge to tear him alive and drink his blood.
“It is done. Her religious fervor suddenly suffered a considerable crash, if I may say so.”

“YOU LIE!”
“Can`t you sense her smell over me? She is so beautiful! Her breasts are so finely round and I covered her arse with kisses! She smells delicious!”
“IMPOSSIBLE! But … I really sense her intimate smell upon you!”
“Just as I told you. You and I must speak again. But you stink, so I`d prefer to continue our conversation in the bath. What will you say?”
Her eyes flooded. A hot water … maybe soap … A real bath after all that time was like a dream.
“Don`t lie to me … it is too cruel.”
“I never lie. Here.” The little creature gave her a wide cloak. “Cover yourself and let`s go.”

Fathers

Into his quarter Engeddu-Gaatsekth broke the seal of the dusty amphora with old teedshe* and fills the bronze cups of his guests. They smelled it and praised his exquisite taste and the rare vintage. After the slaves went outside the feast began.
“I offer the first toast in honor of Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor. You saved my daughter from terrible death. We had our differences and I admit, that I underestimated you for I didn`t believed that you will use your influence over Jeag for me. I came from a small Family and we all know that I have no great magic talent or fighting prowess. What little I possess however is at your service, for I`m in your debt.”
His guests knew it well, for Qaggoth-Shaal choses him for her consort for no other reason but his extraordinary skills as a carpenter. The figurines and carvings he made were almost as alive by itself and he had received the great honor to furnish her personal chambers. That, and his sculptured body.
Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor drank his cup and bowed with gratitude. Why Jeag spared her sisters was still unknown for him, but he wasn`t the one to let such opportunity to pass.

“I did what I believed to be the best for her. After all, we are family. And family members supports each other against outerthreats, even when they aren`t always in agreement with each other.” He made a gesture to the other two at the table. “I did only what any of you would do in my place.”
“I was sured that you won`t move a finger to save the life of my child, Chetoor. And for once I`m very happy that you proved me wrong!” 
Reshmdrut-Ableddu drank his cup and hit the table with it.
“How in Erida`s own tits you`ve made it? I thought you so weak, that your own child despises you.”
“It is called “affection”, Ableddu. Something that you aren`t able to inflict into another person. My daughter care for me enough to heed my council.”
“And yet I`ve heard the rumor, that it was actually a Benazi plot to turn our children one against the other.”

Brotmhesh-Ilmenekkad moved a finger and his cup lifted in the air and he open his mouth, just in time to swallow the alcohol from it. His covered with sigils robe brightened for a moment when he sat more comfortably. Even with his smallest gestures he intrudes to his companions how great his arcane powers were.
“How much is the truth into that particular rumor I wonder. Enough that your reckless and overly spoiled offspring to show a spark of so atypical of her common sense.”
“I won`t listen to your insults, Ilmenekkad!” Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor rises from his seat. “At least I did something, while you did nothing!”
“You won`t be able to hide yourself behind Shaal`s wings, you little …”
“ENOUGH!” Engeddu-Gaatsekth spoke with stern voice. “No matter of his reasons, Lorgdgaesh-Chetoor succeeds where we all failed. So we all owe him some gratitude. If you aren`t agreed with that, you won`t be welcome here, Ilmenekkad!”
The others look at him with disapproval, clearly visible all over their faces and Brotmhesh-Ilmenekkad bows to them.

“I … wish to apologize for my harsh words. Despite my personal opinion for you Chetoor, you still achieve a favourable for me result. And for that …” Hes jaws tightened and it was clear that he fight with himself to finish. “… I … am … … grateful.”
Chetoor felt great satisfaction, that the proud bastar. was forced to show gratitude, but decided not to rub his horns into the dirt. It was never a wise decision to humiliate mages, especially one so powerful.
“I do understand your tension, Ilmenekkad, and I forgive you. Let bygone be bygone. I will share with you what I`ve learned and we all may decide what could do with it.”

Lethaldiran heard nothing that ensued, his mind remembered the Noldor court where he trained for the first time. At 75, he was the youngest recruit but his prowess with his blade earned him a place. Initially their first sessions made no sense. They practised the same movement, steps to the front, steps to the right or left and back to the start. The trainer, Aoltrined, a 255 year old Twilight Knight, gave no orders, only telling them the movements once and in such each recruit moved at whim. Some collided with others, others ended up farther from the group while some like Leth stood still. One morning, tired of all the dullness, Leth asked out, the purpose of the drill. Aoltrined looked squarely at him then to the other recruits, "Young one, how eager to prove your skill, you fail to hear," he said as he walked away. Leth would have sworn he heard his voice in a manner like never 'fore. When he noticed some of the recruits had started their regular mismovements, he called unto them to regroup. "Have we not tried that path to no avail? I beseech all of you to hold this line, there is more to this drill than it is." After regrouping Leth closed his eyes, the others followed suit. Silence descended all around. The wind gently swept around, raising scents of Earth. Out of the silence a voice clearly called out, "10 steps forward." It was Aoltrined. His voice nearer than he was. Leth moved as directed, opened his eyes to see the group had moved as well.

Leth in scrutiny, eyed Hatakir, wondering if he unwillingly knew of this. It would explain the tactic he employs against the Noldor. The voices became sharp as Leth walked out of his memories. Leslie explained, "The men shall fight better after meat and wine, those will be saved for the siege." Hatakir nodded and turned to Donavan saying, "Center the recruits you are training to be our main infantry." He then addressed the whole, "The rest shall polish the main army, bring out the best soldiers out of these men."

Welcome back

Into another part of the spacious palace Naskaarch-Erkkhau waive to the little Tenari to rise. He stood on respectful distance, holding his hands in front of his body.
“You promised me that you can bring Mreedvaadu down, and you did it. I alone saw his head atop of a blade, hold from Jeag`s slave.”
She paused, watching for his reaction. He bows again.
“He was a fool, unable to evaluate properly what he had into his own hands. He had your benevolence, yet he saw the same from my mistress. He insulted your beauty greatly, and for that he deserves his pitiful fate. Now his hide will become armor, and his head will become a helm for the miserable slave who slew him in duel. Stories for his disgraceful downfall will spread wide and far and no one will be able to suppress it.”
Teeth as sharp as daggers brightened when Naskaarch-Erkkhau smiles, watching how the lesser demon tried to look at her thighs imperceptible. It never sees to amaze her that the males has illusions that she wasn`t completely aware.

“Somehow I was under the impression, that Qaggoth-Jeag herself had intention to keep him for herself. She even neglected the fact, that he came from Family not amongst the Queen`s trusted supporters.”
“IF my misress truly had such intentions, she never shared it with her lesser slave.” The slave spoke with calm voice and betrayed not a hint of his emotions. “And even if she did it, I would never reveal it to anyone. What I KNOW is that a member of another Family claim to be a bond-mate of his. My mistress was … displeased.”
“I see.” Erkkau thought a few moments before to speak again. “So you arranged everything. Why?”
“You don`t deserve such humiliation, my lady. To be cast aside as an old dress because of your youngest daughter …”
She gnarls and the slave froze. So the wretched little slave knew even THAT!? And yet it seems than no one knew about it. The little pet kept it in secret, so he wanted something from her.
“So you used his seed that I gave you to convince Jeag that he is involved with another.”
The black lips curved slightly and she saw that her guess was right.

“The question is “Why did you do it for me?”. What do you want from me, for such a service?”
The slave looks at her, his lust written all over his face.
“Only what you decide to give me by your own will, my lady.”
“Well … I will think of something … appropriate.” She looks at him with evaluating gaze and tried to calculate his possible value. “Could he become a useful tool in my hands? And he is close to Jeag too. Certainly it will prove useful to have someone so close to her … if she survives her recent problems.” She came closer to him.
“I`d like to have Mreedaardu`s remains. My reasons are only personal. When I can expect it?”
Gaduilm bows again and inhale deeply her fine scent.
“I`m afraid that it isn`t possible, my lady. The other slave claimed his head and hide as trophies. He will wear it as a personal armor. Somebody told him that it is a sign of his valor and battle prowess. To defeat an opponent so much more powerful than himself in a duel is a rare achievement.”
“Why would he? Does he understand that he merely challenge the whole Benazi family? They will kill him!”
“Well …” Gaduilm tried to look discreetly into her exposed breasts. “Somebody may forget to mention him such small detail.”

Shavaar bey looks at his daughter. For the moment, he chooses to ignore the Snake Cult Priestess who stood at her side as if hiding into her shadow.
“It`s been a while since your husband died. I`m concerned about you. You need a decent man at your side and more children. Look at your sisters. Almost all of them had at least three children already while you have only one. Fortunately for you Chogmak came to me and asked you for his son.”
“Disgusting little rat!” Sharab erupted as a new volcano. “He is good for nothing weakling! He can`t use properly nor spear, nor sabre! Even his archery is pathetic! If he dares to look upon me again I`ll kill him!”
Shavaar bey sighed. It was just that. Still he had something in mind.
“What about Murba, son of Haskutt? He is decent warrior. And he fought in the last two wars.”
“He is so ugly that I`m afraid to imagine how his children may look.” Sharab cut it short. “I won`t let him to touch me!”
“Purah lost his wife recently. He has 73 horses and …”

“And the belly of a woman in the ninth moon! No! Bigger one! Who will gave birth – me or him? He will eat all of his horses and them probably me!”
“Fine! Oburad is strong warrior and and ...”
“And he drowned his first wife! Do you think that the women doesn`t know? He wanted to marry Balar, but her father wasn`t stupid enough to agree.”
Shavaar bey tried his last and best arrow.
“Abedai is a decent man and capable warrior. Surely at least him …”
“FATHER!” Sharab shouted infuriated. “He is a ****in* drunkard! I won`t be able to suffer such man for long before to kill him!”
“DAUGHTER!” Shavaar bey wrinkles at her. “You have obligations to your tribe! Are you going to find yourself a decent husband or you are going to play only?”
Sharab felt the unspoken reproach.
“I`m warrior! I have the right to choose my husband alone!”

“Fine, fine. Do you have someone in mind?”
“I … well …” She hesitates for some time before the inspiration kicks her. “Ehrani!” She shout loudly.
Sound of sabre drawn from its scabbard came from outside and the stocky tribesman came in haste, weapon in hand. When he saw the bey and his daughters he lowered the wespon and bow to them.
“You called, Behichi?” He spoke directly to Sharab.
“Yes, I did.” Sharab spoke stern. “I need a decent man for a husband. And he must marry Marissa too.”
Ehrani tried to suppress his sigh. The best warriors took the best horses and the most beautiful women. The lesser ones share the remains. Such was the way of the world. Everybody knew that Rambulhwa slept with his female bodyguards. The warlord always took the best from everything. He bows again.
“I`ll bring the warlord, Behichi. Just wait a little …”
“I was thinking for you.”
“For me?” Ehrani felt his legs weak from the sudden turn of his fortune and smiles happily. He was waiting for it for so long. “I agree!”

Shavaar bey boils him with stern gaze.
“Who are you? From which tribe do you hail? Are you capable to …”
Sharaz came in haste with furious grimace and spoke with angry tone.
“Father! I need to speak with you!”
She notices her other sisters and the others but she was too angry to care.
“Bethesh demands from me to went back to the tribe since the war is over and I have my duties as his wife! I have obligations toward HIM! For Vata`s own hooves he can`t even ride and he …”
As she continue her father kept face expressionless but it slowly turn red.
“A common Blademaster have DEMANDS to MY DAUGHTER!” He hissed trought gritted teeth. “I`ll feed him with his own balls for that!” He shouts enraged: "Rambulhwa!”.

When Rambulhwa came back to his warband along with his cloacked fellow his companions already gathered along with other chieftains. They watched him with guarded expressions while he dismounted. He saw it and inclines his head ironically.
“I`m overjoyed from your happiness to see me alive and well. It warms my heart to see that you are so glad to have me back. Truly!”
“We saw how you die!” Sara spoke first, unable to step closer to him. “We all saw how he impales you on his blade! You are dead!”
“Sorry to disappoint you then, but I still expect from you to finish the new song for my sister. And to sing it while playing with your new Noldor lyre.”
She smiles uncertain. Syla Uzas hold the hilf of his sword.

“Why did you run away from me near Ethos three years ago? I was ready for fight!”
The tribesman raises an eyebrow.
“Let me think … You are the best military mind in Baccus. Your warband is the largest one in Pendor. All of your men are elite warriors. They have heavier armors and weapons than most of mine. They are trained to fight together as a single unit.” He snorted entertained. “Choose whatever you like to believe. Personally, I don`t believe that I`d be payed enough to defeat you. So why bother?” Rambulhwa sighed heavily. “Do try to pay more attention to your rivals. It was the seventh time when I put my infantry over the spare horses and we all ride away from you.”

“This is demon magic!” Sigismund made his old village gesture to ward himself against the evil. “You are not my warlord!”
“You`d wish.” The warlord holds his weapon stronger. “I had my eyes on a strong blond Valkyria, and yet I accidently saw her to exit from your yurt. YOU PIG! I thought that we are friends!”
Sigismund waives a hand dismissively.
“Oh, come on! Be reasonable! Our women doesn`t like short men like you anyway.”
“I`M MIDDLE HEIGHT!” Rambulhwa`s teeth creacked. “YOU ARE A BLOODY GIANT!”
“Middle height but barely. Why the small tribesmen are always so touchy about height!” Sigismund smiles broadly. “Welcome back!”
The other companions and warlords asked him different questions to prove his identity. Each time Rambulhwa gave them the correct answears but most of them remained skeptical. No man ever survived with such wound.

Rambuhwa came in haste when he heard his master`s call and bows. His companions and the other warlords came after him.
“Bey, we aren`t sure that it`s him!” Kassim spoke first. “It could be just a demon covered with magic!”
“I`ll see to that right away!” Sharas spoke with poisonous voice and her hand holds her sabre. “How many times you slept with me?”
The rusty-red polearm fell from his trembling hand and Rambulwa bows deeply to Shavaar bey and remains in that pose.
“I didn`t do it, Master! I swear in Vata`s own mane.!” He stutters with trembling voice. “Plese, believe me!”
Shavaar bey looks at the gathered commanders and warlords.
“It`s him.” He said with disgusted expression and his voice hardened when he spoke to him.
“Still the same stupid Turkmani rat! She asked you how many times you slept together. You remember what “sleep” is, I hope? You are closing your eyes, you snoring, you may even have some dreams …” He suddenly adds with far sharper tone. “What did you had in mind?”

“NOTHING!” Rambulhwa looks up to his master`s face. “I don`t know the exact number, master. We often slept together; the northern lands are so cold! No wonder why they wage war with us for so long – they surely want to live in a warm place!”
“I didn`t asked you that. Since you are here anyway go and drag Bethesh here!”
Rambulhwa reach for his fallen weapon.
“Of course, master. May I ask why?”
“He have some demands to Sharaz that I`d like to discuss with him.”
Rambulhwa`s face turn red and he hissed with barely restrained fury. “A common Blademaster have DEMANDS to SHARAZ?!” His teeth creaked. “I`ll feed him with his own balls for that!”
“No, you will not.” Shavaar bey said fiercely. “I will do it! You stay here.”
He marched outside and the others went with him to watch the rare spectacle. Then Rambulhwa steps closer to Sharaz.

“If you start with “I told you …”
“I …”
He stop and pretent that he should have said something else.
“If you need something, anything, I`m here for you.”
“Uh-hu.” She pretent that she didn`t notice. “I want you to remove the child in my belly.”
“In what moon you are?” He began carefully but she didn`t care any more.
“I`m close to the end of the third one.”
“It will be dangerous!”
She grabs his kaftan tight.
“I won`t have a child from a shi* like him! I`d rather die!” Her face stiffs in hard determination. “And my father will never learn for it!”
He only nod in silence.

The same night, before Sharab to sleep in Marissa`s hands she spoke, gliding her long hair.
"You were right."
Sharab close her eyes and set herself more comfortable.
"I`m always right. For what exactly this time?"
"About the warlord. He really is too much like your father."

Kiss from a goddess

Therbeddt-Centtbasia watched carefully the long column of captives. More and more moved past him and his slaves while she counted them. “The goddess will be pleased!”, she thought with pleasure. She began to write at the parchment placed over into her other hand. Suddenly an aged female rush forward from the crowd.
“MY SON!”
The nearest guard shoves the man when he tried to stop.
“Move on.”
“Master!” The woman cried toward the warlord who watched the procession with stone face. “Please, Master, release my son, I beg you! I`ll pay you ransom for him, I`ll give you everything I have, just let him free!”
The tribesman look at her impassively.
“I see that your son wears the remains of Ravenstern Ranger garment. So he was one of those who fought against me. Why should I spare a man who tried to kill me?”

“I`ll pay you 5000 denari!” The woman busted in tears. “Please, I beg you!”
The warlord snorted with despise.
“I`m a D`Shar! What use I have for your coin? We are using it only when we trade with the other nations.”
“8700 is all I can get, take it! Just release him! What a single life means to you?”
“The coins are all you “civilized” people care for. You forgot, that they have no value. You will learn it again.”
“May Ullr Vetr to curse your soul to oblivion, you cruel savage!”
The man looks down at her with the same impassive face.
“Yes, yes, I`ve heard it already. All defeated ones say such words. But if I was defeated, your master would have killed me. Begone!”
Desperation hold the woman`s soul and she cried.
“Take my life then, you bastar* and go in hell!”
“I`m not bastar*.”

The warlord pointed at her with indifference.
“Take her with the others. If she wants to die so much.”
The nearest guards hold her roughly and began to bind her hands. She screamed for help but the crowd remained silent. They all could see too well the armed warriors around the tribal warlord and the demons around the former seat of the last Koningur. No one raise his voice to defend the desperate woman or her son, no one draw the weapon from his or her belt. Even Fjorl Breenson, the huge blacksmith, whose fingers turn pale from the strong hold over his axe, said nothing. All watched in silence the last march of the doomed souls.
“What is it? Therbeddt-Centtbasia raises her gaze from her parchment.
“This female said that she wants to die and the other mortals took her for sacrifice.” Narmassk bows to her mistress.
“Oh? A volunteer? Very well then. Go on, we have a schedule! Move!”
After the last captive enters through the palace`s gate the warlord closes to the demon quartermaster.
“I do believe that everything is in order?”

“Don`t forget who are you talking with, lesser mortal! I`m High Priestess of the One True Goddess! Show respect!”
The little male dismounted and close to her.
“I`ve met three gods already, Erida included. And I wouldn`t say that they don`t exist in your boots. They could be … vindictive.”
“YOU DARE?” Therbeddt-Centtbasia hold the hilt of her sabre.
“You do know who am I, Priestess. I`m the one who will receive Erida`s benevolence today and not you. Do you dare to defy her will?”
Therbeddt-Centtbasia swells under her robe and large drops appear over her stern face. If the goddess looks in that way … She gulps with tied throath. The creature stood patiently waiting for her decision. She bows slightly.
“Uh… yes. Yes, everything is in order, we are plus one victim.”
The little creature bows too.
“Very well. Her new servants are ready to meet her. We may begin. If you are so kind?”

The palace`s gates opens and two falanks of armed Baatetsu exit and form tight ranks to the newly build platform. Tens of thousands people hold their breath.
Erida Occisor came out from the darkness of the gate and all demons knelt. Towering over demons and mortals both with her three meters height and her impressive horns she stops for a moment under the bright sun. Small flames dance over her skin with the color of fresh red blood.  When she walks forward her clawed feet began to melt slightly the stones covering the large square. When she reaches the platform she stops and looks around the mortal crowd before to spread her four strong arms.
“Hear my will, all of you. I, Erida Occisor, give the conquered land from Pendor to my first children – Baatetsu, to rule it in my name. Those who follow my laws will not be harmed. The criminals will feel my wrath.”
“Bitc*!”
Fjorl Breenson hissed it through clenched teeth. His brother hushes him for silence.
“Shut up, you fool!”

Erida continue without pause.
“Your taxes will be increased immediately …”
“Dirty, greedy demons!”
“… to one tenth of your annual productions during peace. During war times in will be doubled!”
Fjorl`s brother, Hrotga, stares.
“But the Koningur took two of five …”
Fjorl gnarls.
“Shut up, you fool!”
Hrotga didn`t heard him and continue to wither.
“… and up to two of three parts during war or even more if you can`t hide …”
Fist with the size of a cooking pan hit him in the head and Hrotga fell stunned on the hard stones. It took the attention of the nearby people and even few demons started to look toward them. Fjorl`s thought run furiously. He took the axe from his belt and rise it over his head.

“Glory to the goddess! May she rule us forever!”
Powerful roar followed his shout as all Fierdsvain men and women raised their weapons with joyful shouts.
Erida raises a hand for silence and the crows silenced.
“The law and order must be upheld. You will not receive priviledges because of your father or grandfather. If you want something, you need to work or to fight for it alone. No matter of your origin or gender. Such is my will.”
Another burst of applauding and shouts of approval came.
“In such a day it is a tradition for benevolence to be shown. One of you, mortals, made a favour to me and I decide to grant him a boon. Step forward, slave.”
Covered with wide green robe with the sign of his warband, Rambulhwa came forward. He gave his rusty-red polearm to the nearest demon and close to the goddess with deep bow.
“I`m here, Divine One.”

“Come closer.”
Two clawed hands took him under the arm and lifted him until his lips met hers. The crowd stares in stunned silence. Shortly the goddess let the human to reach the land and one of her hands supported him until he came fully to himself.
“I may grow accustomed to that, Divine One. I`m looking forward for the next opportunity to serve you.”
“MALES!”
“But right now I`d like to beg you for another boon.”
His warriors brough forward eighty four tall and tough build males and female with terrible wounds, missing limbs and eyes.
“I`m asking you to show your mercy today and to heal these brave mortals.”
She look down to them and it wasn`t hard to guess that they fought against her invasion force.
“Why should I do that to warrior who fought against me?”
“Not against you, but against your minions. Still it will ensure their loyalty to you and it will show to all that you may be kind when you decide to be.”

“KIND? I – THE DEMON GODDESS??”
“You can, if you decide to be, is it not?”
“What do you have to … “ She stop and sigh deeply. “You still have some captives, are you not, little slave? And you didn`t told me before.”
He smiles at her.
“You don`t think that I conquered Pendor with my beauty only, no? I always keep something in reserve. A thousand captives may be appropriate gift to meet your generousity.”
“TWO thousands!”
“You are very good when it came to bargain. Fifteen hundreds.”
“Done!”
Erida came closer to the crippled ones and touch each one of them. In a blinding flash of light they found themselves completely healed and staring at her, stunned from the miracle. When she finish she returns to the palace with her Baatetsu. The crowd slowly began to disperce, muttering and arguing between themselves.

The proof of our ambitions

Boadice came closer and the warlord turns his eye upon her. He smiles and invited her to sit. She nod in negation.
“I want to ride with you for a time. I wish to talk with you.”
“The war is now over and you came to claim your due. So it must be and so it shall be. Let`s go.”
He stands and walks toward the horses and his bodyguards followed him. Accompanied from ser Jocelen only, she walks next to him. But when they approaches the horses a single warrior`s helmet left in the grass caught their attention. A deep dent marked the helmet. Sharaa lowers and took it.
“Mace strike. Someone hit him and dragged the body aside. I see the marks over there, towards the trees.”
She led them toward the nearest trees. As soon as they approached they all saw a man`s body hanged for his legs. One thin, weary and wrinkled old tribesman with pure white hair stood near the hanged man and hit him in the ribs with short footman`s mace. The hanged man screamed.
“I didn`t tried to steal the horse, I swear in Vata`s name!”

“Of course, that you don`t!” The old man agrees with readiness. “You just cut the hobbles to help them, no?”
He strike at the hanged man and his ribs ckreacked even through the chainmail.
“Attempting to steal a horse under the care of Pashani horsemaster is extraordinary stupid, even for a Yusafsai whelp. Does your father teach you something at all? Anything?”
The hanged man, a lad barely reached adulthood tried to protest despite the big bloody lump over his right eye.
“I didn`t tried to steal that shi* of a horse! I just …”
Another strike hit him with enough force to stop his breath. The voice of the old man came again with a hint of entertainment.
“You won`t taught your grandfather how to steal horses, do you hear me? I stole horses before your father to be conceived, you little brat!”
The lad screamed.
“I`m sorry grandpa, please forgive me!”
"That`s better!"

The old man heard the incoming people but by their even pace and the lack of any attempt to disguise their presence he knew that they had the right to be there. And he was right. The warlord spoke with mild surprise.
“A horse thief? Here?”
Otagai turns toward him and made a short bow.
“The lad has some balls chief, I`ll give him that. It’s been … how long … thirteen years since someone tried to steal one of my horses.”
“Well, kill him if you want. But I need a horse now.”
“They are over there. Help yourself. I`m busy right now, you see. Someone must teach the young generation what they could do and what they could not do.”
The warlord bow to him in agreement.
“Of course, horsemaster. I`ll leave you to your duty then.”
They rode away and for a time there was nothing but the wind into their hairs and the overwhelming feeling of the freedom to ride where they wanted. Finally, far enough from the camp Boadice push her horse closer.

“Chief, the war is over. Pendor is conquered. Your army is free for new battles. There is no better time to sail to Veccavia. My sister will not expect me back with such force as yours.”
“And your wish is to retake your place as a Queen.” Rambulhwa smiles at her with warm, friendly gesture. “You are persistent in your ambitions, and I respect you for that.”
“Veccavia is mine by right! I`m their rightful Queen!”|
“The strength gives all rights and your sister proves herself more capable than you, taking your yurt right under your own arse. You are alive and with no small herd of fine horses. Your name is known through all Pendor as great strategist and fine warrior. Is that not enough for you?”
Boadice didn`t flinch.
“No. Now I`m asking for my share of the victory and the loot too. It must be enough to hire enough warriors to back my claim.”
“We shall ride back then, and you will receive your share.”

Rambulhwa agrees with readiness that didn`t surprise her. After all, he never tried to cheat her. Not even once. Then Sharak, who had the eyes of an eagle pointed behind them.
“Horsemen! With platemails! We are surrounded!”
They stood in the open until the intruders came closer and Boadice cursed when she recognize the banner of her sister.
“Eleanor`s banner! I`m a dead meat!”
“If I start to kill, take her and run back toward the camp.”
Sharaz nod and her sister surround Boadice.
They didn`t wait for long. Soon the cirle of horsemen came closer and one heavily armored figure came closer.
“Boadice. Finally we are face to face again.”
“Verante! You dare to show your traitorous face to me!” Boadice erupted is such anger that she never showed in all her years during her service in the “Honourable Guards”. “YOU BETRAY ME!”
“Really? Eleanor is the eldest. By the customs she is the rightful Queen.” The woman under the standard raises her faceplate revealing tanned beautiful face.

“Our mother Queen pointed me for her successor before she died!”
“Only you claim that, Boadice. No one else saw or heard it. And most of the ladies of the land supported Eleanor for she had better claim.”
“She took you between her legs and you can`t see that she is using you, you stupid whore!”
“Come on, I`m not a slave girl. I`m quite capable to join her by my own free will, Boadice. Do try to think about it before I kill you.”
“You will kill no one.” Rambulhwa spoke with stern face and lifeless voice. “You will take your people and leave Pendor while you are still alive.”
“Your pet speaks?!” Verante was truly surprised and her shock was unpretentious. “You are losing your grip with the age, I can see that.”
“I`m her warlord, not her pet. She is a commander into my warband and she is under my protection.”
This time the foreign woman stare in open astonishment and her jaws fell in surprise.

“Boadice Veccavia to serve under a MALE??” Her expression twisted in deep disgust. “How low you can fell into your exile!”
“Her fame is known in Pendor for her skills and abilities, no less than my own. But I conquered Pendor and you are now in my domain.”
“Last I heard some stupid tribal male dared to claim the title of Hero of Pendor.”
“That is me, Rambulhwa, son of Burzubai from Turkmani tribe of D`Shar.”
Verante Kruus was visibly unimpressed.
“I expected something more … impressive than a rugged slave. But alas you are here, encircled from my warriors. Stay aside, and I may even let you live. I`ll take Boadice and …”
“And you will die before to reach your ships. All armies of all nations of Pendor now serve me. You have no chance to leave Pendor alive.”
She laugh.
“D`Shar are riders not sailors. You have no ships … male.”

“Did you saw any ships on your way per chance?”
“Just some strange escadre with the banner of the Snake Cult.”
“The Dread Legion of my first wife, Maltise, Champion of Azi Dahak herself. She and her army are on camp nearby along with many other.”
“But if I kill you I may reach my ships before they know it.”
“With the power of her goddess at her disposal Maltise WILL know about you. You may kill us, but then Veccavia will fall and all survivors will die on the Cult`s altar.”
Verante smiles charmingly.
“Males. All talks and nothing else. I`ll bargain with her.”
“The Baccus emperor tried it. The whole army saw him dancing for her. And now he is nothing more than a barking cur on a leash. A show of power and nothing more. He is old and ugly, but you are looking good. I imagine that many males will mount you to hear how loud you will bark.”

Sharaz and her sister busted in laughter and Verante Kruus pale in anger. But before she order them killed one of her knights came closer and began to whisper in her ear. Slowly the hand over her sword softened.
“I`m under strict order to bring Boadice to justice. Dead or alive.”
“But you can`t. She is part of my warband. Kill her, and you are dead. And Veccavia will be invaded for sure, with or without me. Nearly fifty thousands veteran varriors are encamped nearby after the final battle. Surely your scouts could count our number from our fires, no?”
Verante look upon one of ther people. She wrinkles but only nod in confirmation.
Rambulhwa gave her a little time to consider it before to speak again.
“I do understand that you are send here to ensure that Boadice will not take arm against her sister?”
“I was sent to kill her.” Verante spoke without hesitation. “Only if she is dead Eleanor will be free of her.”
“Perhaps there is another way. What if she swears that she will not try to hurt Eleanor or rise against her rule as long as Eleanor rules Veccavia?”

Verante snort in disbelieve but before she was able to speak Boadice shouted.
“I will not do such a thing!”
Rambulhwa look her into her eyes and spoke with even voice.
“You followed me for thirteen years without hesitation. Do you trust me?”
Boadice was ready to shout her thought when she hesitates. Truly he was true to his word and she knew that he was cheated no one for all the years she served him.
“I trust you.”
“So?” Rambulhwa turns toward Veccavia woman warrior. “I do believe that these terms are sufficient?”
“I don`t know. The Queen told me to kill her.”
“But surely you may send a messenger or a bird with the news. If she agrees, we may part as friends. If she insists to kill her, well, she will die too, along with all Veccavians.”
“And why should I believe you, pathetic male?”

“I don`t care if you belive me or not. It is up for you to decide.”
Verante thought for a time.
“And how do you intent to secure that offer of yours?”
“You will not try to sail until you receive Eleanor`s answer. For that time Boadice may remain with you, as long as you treat her as an important hostage. If Eleanor insists to hear that oath herself, Boadice will sail with you to Veccavia, but Eleanor is completely responsible for her safety. If she don`t came back to me safe and sound I will ensure that not a single Veccavian will escape the Snake`s sacrificial altar. Your second in command will come with me now and if Eleanor decide to accept my terms you will remain with me, while Boadice returns from Veccavia.”
Verante bite her lips in consideration.
“I … will send message to the Queen. But Boadice will remain with me.”
“Very well. And Boadice?”
“Yes, chief?”
“Do be sure to swear in every word I told you, do you understand? It is for your life.”

Boadice understood. He would not lie to Verante, but the oath may not mean exactly what she imagines. He had a plan.
Boadice, Sharaa and Sharak went with Verante while her second, Trenatia Felean came to Rambulhwa with dozen guards and servants.

The price

"Mr Assassin, I need your help."

Says the infirm little boy in rages, with wounds over the body, he barely but still stand and walked to the Scorpion Assassin in the tarven.

"Yes? Little man, what's your trouble?"

"I want to kill someone, I want the rogue knights in Azgad die."

"- chuckle -"

"I'm serious! Mr Assassin. My father was tortured and killed by them, and I turned help to many people, but they all refused me and just told guards to put me away! Lords, Knights of Lion do not care about the life of little peasant boy's father. They said they will protect us, they are liars"

"I see, little man, so why you turn to me, a foreigner when your knights refused to help?"

"I heard people said Scorpion Assassins could help people with problems, but it was too far for me to go to D'shar, till I see you sir."

"Yes, we do "help" people solve problems..."

"With money, I know! Here is my money."

The little boy searched all his bags, and put all 5 denars in the hand to Assassin.

"Before mama was taken by sick she gave these to me, she wanted me to use these to live, but I can live without them! I never use it because I know one day I will see you, Mr Assassin. So do we have a deal?"

The Assassin looked the boy up, ended at the money in boy's hand.

"Yes, you had a deal, little man."

The Assassin smelled again.

The winner`s harvest

The warlords sat into Rambulhwa`s yurt and bowed to each other. Rambulhwa himself pours them kumis and invite them to try the various delicacies.
“My friends and allies,” he began “We achieved much together and the final victory is ours. I`m not a man who forget who`s saber helped him to achieve his goal, not that each one of you had his or hers goal of your own. Today is the time for that. Today each one of you will receive what you desire most.”
The huge Mystmountain chieftain spoke with grave grimace.
“You are a stinking piece of shi*! Do you really believed for a moment that I won`t see how you used my people as a bait for the demons? That you lured them to us and let them to feast upon my clansmen?”
The other warlords holds their weapons but Rambulhwa just pours again Bejatir`s cup.

“You are great hero, Bejatir, but you are a poor warlord. Do I need to remind you how many of yours you lost at the stupid assault of Pointsbruk? The weakest soldiers are send first in battle to blunt the enemy`s strike, then the better one took advantage over the weakened and tired enemy. Your people and mine are the weakest amongst all our combined horde and we gave the most victims. We slowed the demons not with our bravery or weapon prowes but with our bodies. The demonic horses are unstopabble on the open ground so we stopped them with the corpses of my D`Shar kinsmen and their horses. While your clansmen were torn apart from the flying Baatetsu the Noldor archers had enough time to kill most of them. Warlord Ithilrandir knows what he is doing, and he has hundreds of years of expertise. Any of us would have tried to preserve our warriors and the enemy knew how much I value every one of my handpicked chosen ones.”
He stopped and look at Bejatir`s furious eyes. His expression was calm and neutral.
“I won every battle until now because I knew when to retreat and which battles to avoid. I wound`t throw my favourites to sure death so I gave the command to a warlord, who had not my weakness. He knew that the victory must be won at any cost and he was ready to sacrifice all of us to achieve it. I am not sure that I could do that.”

The other warlord nods with understanding. Each one of them had reports for his careful treatment toward the Omen Seekers, the Doomguides, the Singalian Temptress and the other female warriors into his warband. They were his weakness. Surely he had hesitations to use the women who he had slept with as fodder in the battlefield. As any other man.
Bejatir saw that he would have gain nothing and change the theme.
“There is one more matter then. I want one of your companions. Diev.”
All stare at him and then look at the warlord to watch his reaction. He slowly met his gaze.
“Why? What did he do to you?”
“He killed a Vejovis`s messenger. Our god demands his death. Up to now he avoided his fate but today our god is here! And he demands his blood!”
Bejatir stand and went outside. The others followed. Mighthy roar came from the remains of the clans when a towering cat moves between them. Walking at his four claws the cat was nearly three meters tall at his four claws. Vejovis came closer.

“You killed my messenger, the mountain cat, mortal! You skin her and sold her hide on your marked for mere coins, and her meat you gave to your tribesmen. But now I came for you and you have nowhere to hide! YOU ARE MINE!”
Diev Wodenssen shivers.
“Divine One, my tribesmen were hungry. I …”
“SILENCE!” The god`s voice thundered above them and the muzzle came closer. The huge teeth glistened with bloodlust. “You could have kill a boar or a deer, but you killed my child! YOU ATE HER!”
“Is that true, Diev?”
Diev Wodenssen turns his pale face toward his warlord.
“It is true, warlord. I did it. But I only wanted to feed my townsmen! They were starving!”
“Divine One,” Rambulhwa bow to the great cat-god. “My companion made a terrible sin and he does not deny it. But I beg of you, give him a chance to redeem himself. Show mercy and allow him a chance, just one chance.”
“Insolent creature!” The teeth cloded just in front of Rambulhwa`s face. “What if he slew a black horse in the Principalities?”

The god issued short dark laughter, full of delight.
“Ah, I`m sensing it! You’re hiding your feelings well, mortal. Do tell the others what is the punishment for that sacrilege into your homeland.”
Rambulhwa slowly spoke, forcing each one out of his mouth.
“Whoever harms a black horse in my land will be skin alive and given to feed the worms while he is still alive. And his family with him.”
“Indeed. My followers managed to capture all of those who fed upon the flesh of my child. Those still alive are here.”
Several shamans drag forward eight Ravenstern men and women literally trembling in terror.
“Every mortal in the North knows that the mountain cats are my messengers. Some yet hunt them and I always find them. Your friend is the last one.”
Diev turn his pale face toward his warlord. If there was any hope for survival, the warlord would have found some solution.
“Can you help me this time, warlord?”

“I beg you one more time, Divine One.” Rambulhwa bow deeply. “Have mercy.”
“DID HE SHOW MERCY TO MY CHILD?” The god thundered above them.
“No, Divine One. We are cruel creatures and we hunt not only to feed but to enjoy the chasing and killing alone. As a god, I hope that you are better than us, the mere humans.”
“Clever trap you place upon me, mortal.” The vertical pupils lowers to level Rambulhwa`s face. “Very well, I will give him one chance. But it will cost you the life of your own child.”
Not a muscle move over Rambulhwa`s face when he respond.
“But I do not have any childrens alive, Divine One.”
“You have two, mortal. Some of the whores you slept with in Singal gave birth to a boy and a girl of your blood. I want one of them in exchange of your plea.”
Diev hold his shoulder.
“Don`t! I will …”

Rambulhwa did not hesitate.
“I agree, Divine One.”
The god spoke again.
“And so it shall be! If someone amongst the last eight offenders agrees to sacrifice himself or herself for your friend, he will live!”
Rambulhwa did not allowed any expression on his face.
“Divine One, it is the same death penalthy. They will not face your wrath to save another.”
“Your friend boasted that he fed the starving ones of his tribe, does he not? Saving their lives with the flesh of my own child, no?” The cat muzzle somehow manages to express curiousity. “He fed them and save all their lives. Now one of them may sacrifice his own life to save him. Isn`t it fair?”
“It is, Divine One.”

The first into the ragged line of captives, a fine featured young woman with dark brown hair and terrified expression manage to spoke.
“Wwwwhat will happen with the one?”
The god was upon her in a moment. A huge talon pierces her stomach and her screams filled the air when the god bite off her limbs one by one and swallows them. Then the muzzle moved toward her stomach dragging her innards outside until the limbless body hanged onto it while the god chews it. After the last part of her was swallowed the giant red tongue clears the huge muzzle.
“That will happen.”
Pissing and ****ting themselves the other captives screamed in terror one through the other.
“We didn`t asked for the food he brough! None of us did! He alone decides to do it! We would never dare! We are innocent! Plese, let us live!”
Diev`s face turn grey and his hands began to tremble.

“You lie! You all lie! You, Romul, asked for food! You Nerisne, begged me and offered me your daughter for exchange of the meat I brought you! Verat, you and your children survived the entire winter only because of me! All of you!”
“He lies!” The captives shouted back. “We didn`t asked him to harm your children because of us, Great One!”
“I do not lie!” Diev spoke to Rambulhwa. “I gave them the meat to feed themselves and their children. The hide I sold and with the coins I purchased medicine, for Abar and Senal had sick lungs! Please, believe me!”
Rambulhwa raise his face toward the god.
“I do believe him, Divine One.”
“Me too.” Vejovis spoke with dark amusement. “I was told that your friend asked them for nothing and even refised to use their female children despite that he saved all their lives.” The muzzle came closer. “But they refuse to pay their debts to him and so he must die. And one of your own children too, mortal. Which one?”
“The boy.”

“So be it! Bring me his wife and children too! They will share his death!”
“NO!” Diev shouted and step forward. “I will not …”
Vejovis fell upon him as cat over the mouse and blood spreads the bystanders while shreds of his body flied left and right. None dare to move until the god slowly swallows the last part.
“You will not tell me what to do, mortals. Or not to do. Now bring them to me!”
“Divine One,” Rambulhwa bow again. “By the time of the crime, Diev wasn`t married to Lesle. She has no part of it.”
“Are your trying to provoke me on purpose, mortal?” Vejovis hissed low. “My patience grows thin!”
“I will not do such a thing, Divine One. His stepparents are guilty for they taught him not enough to respect you properly, Divine One.” Rambulhwa met his eyes calm and sincere. “And his children share the guilt of their parents too. But Lesle met him long after that and she isn`t related by blood with that grave crime. I beg you to turn your wrath aside from her.”

Still trembling from the terrible death of her husband, Lesle came to herself when the warlord spoke for her children. She opens her mouth to protest. Before to pronounce a single sound Sharam and Sharad hold her and quickly bind her and put a leather glove into her mouth.
“I do wonder how Vata didn`t trample over your bones, mortal. You are so annoying!” Vejovis hissed angry at him. “I may spare her. But it will cost you your other child! Are you willing to do that for her?”
“I am, Divine One. I will not forget your generousity.”
The great cat came closer.
“Are you mocking me, mortal?”
“I do not, Divine One. I`m not able to stop you if you decide to kill her. But you agree to spare her and it shows to me that you can be merciful and generous.”
“Am I?” The great cat inclines his head with curiousity. “I will take your children!”
“I will bring them to you myself, Divine One.” Rambulhwa bow again. “She killed bravely for me in battle and she saved more than a few wounded warriors of mine too. She deserves my sacrifice for her. The price will be pay. You will have your due.”

It was convincing, and Vejovis throw a glance toward the woman who trashes helplessly on the ground.
“I suspect that she will not be grateful to you for your sacrifice, mortal. I hope that she is worthy for that high opinion of yours.”
“You are right, of course, Divine One.” The tribesman bow again. “Perhaps in time she will understand.”
“Maybe.” Vejovis lost interest toward the woman and pointed toward an old one-handed shaman. “Verkat will come with you for your childred. He will bring them to me and I will kill them myself.”
“As you wish, Divine One.”
The god turns back and returns to his followers. The warlords came back into the yurt. Warlord K`Juda spoke first.
“I`m sorry for your children, Rambulhwa.”
The warlord bow to him with respect and responds with calm voice.
“It was worth it.”

“Very well then. Tell me now, how I could save our way of life?”
“As you remains the first warlord between your people, cousin. You will oversee that the new generation is taught just the same as you, and their children too and their grandchildren and so on and so forth. Our people will work hard, train hard and they will not live the easy life of our enemies. Our nations will live on.”
“As long as I am alive, sure. But when I die?”
“But you will not die, warlord K`Juda. You will not grow old. The demon princess saw that we defeated her forces in battle and she was impressed. She offers you immortality in exchange of your services. If you agree, you will remain powerful warlord at her side and you will participate into the future wars as her commander. She offers the same to all of you – the greatest warlords of Pendor.”
Bejatir was unable to hold himself any longer.
“And what you will receive from all that? A kingdom of your own? Will you rule over the Principalities forever?”
“No.” Rambulhwa met his eyes with unshakable easiness. “I already sold myself for her slave.”

Tale of my character.

I, Turnain Azrael Cavalas, am fond of old Pendorain culture and legend. I come from Barclay, where I resided and grew up. Through my childhood, I was told that I was being raised by my birth parents, and I believed it, living my life and spending my time as a squire throughout the land, I made my coin by living off those who paid me to resolve quarrels between the lords. I also owned my very own estate, passed down to me through my foster parents, to which I made tremendous profits. The main crop I grew was tobacco, and it was the finest of my area. Growing up, my name was Turnain Joshinea, my surname from my so called birth parents. I loved the wondrous hills and forests of barclay, and I would constantly compare it to the folklore and legend I heard of Pendor, a Land far to the west. I bought books from a local merchant of the ancient war almost a Millennium ago regarding the most powerful users of magic in existance. "The ancient elder races" I read "where the old Titans who laid the foundation for the ascension of Man." I read of the old races and became particularly fond of the valor and culture of the Noldor, known today as the Elves. I read of a hidden city, the only remaining, of the ones destroyed by the great Titans, and I became very curious as to how it was hidden. I was drawn to the story of the Noldor. I learned the complex language of the Noldor from an old, wise man who resided in Barclay. A linguist of sorts, who knew all languages of Pendor. From him I sought the knowledge of the tongue spoken by the Noldor as well as the men who rule in Pendor. The tale of the five kingdoms once united is all but tragic. It was inevitable. The cultural sects that divided them could not coincide, and their split was almost planned, it would seem. The man taught me the languages I needed to learn to fill my curiousity, and decided I would head for Pendor in attempts to interact with the Elves. Just before then, my father struck illness and died with an infection of cholera, but before his death he handed me a mysterious letter with the seal I recognized as that of the old Pendorian kings. "The Great Old Kingdom of Pendor. Letter directed to Turnain Joshinea." I broke the seal and read the letter. "Dear Turnain, You may have heard of me from the old tales of Pendor. I am King Cavalas, once a ruler of Pendor and am now deceased. I am writing this because the Kingdom is breaking apart, and it is my duty to inform you that you are my great, great grandson. Or at least you should be. This letter was passed down from my son, Turnain, who I told to head to Barclay and take up the task of safely making your return to Pendor. I told him of a family, calling themselves the Joshinea family. Turnain passed on your name. Your real name is Turnain Cavalas IV, named afther my son. By this title, I pass to you the rights and holdings of the great first order of knighthood 'The Order of the Griffon.' There should be followers of the order left, and would most likely be returning to Pendor at this time. May the order serve you well. Your Great, Great Grandfather, King Cavalas." With this knowledge, I carried out my trip to pendor. I took up as my middle name, Azrael, that of the greatest Knight of the Griffon. I landed on the east coast, The Empire, in the year 354. I headed north, to the Noldor and encountered a party that just about killed me. They held back after I spoke their language, and took me to one of their lords, and very luckily, the fairest of them. Ithilrandir was not particularly fond of me, as my Great, Great Grandfather had shunned his kind in his wake. I explained to him how I studied them and was very fond of them, and it was then that they realized my potential. They trained me in the art of firing a bow and arrow and using a bastard sword, with ancient rune text written upon it. They trained me in many categories, and there I lived for 3 years. They told me this was their chance to revive their once great kingdom, and told me they would support me as long as I stuck to the oath I made to recognize them. They gifted me some of their finest enchanted equipent and horse and sent me on my way. I became a tournament master, betting on my rounds, and I quickly became a rich merchant, owning at least one enterprize in every town in Pendor. I ran a mercenary company under the employment of Ravenstern and King Gregory IV. I kept my kinghood secret through all of this. One month, in a war with the Fierdsvain, they had taken Senderfall and Ravenstern. I pronounced my loyalty to Gregory as a vassal and retook the towns. From there, I created a chapter of the Order of the Griffon in each town, which raised suspicion under Gregory, and he attempted to exile me. He marched with his army of 2,500 men against me at Ravenstern, pleading my surrender. And then legend and myth became a reality as the new King of the old started his Kingdom in the north after defeating Gregory with a band of 250 Griffon Knights. Ravenstern fell quickly and later that of the Fierdsvain. The Noldor assembled four war parties under Aeldarian, Ithilrandir, Faergwethanir and Caelvanir, to assist me. And, my people, that is where I stand today, as your King! Long may he live!

From the Kingdom of the Old,
The Ravenstern North grows cold,
As the new king rises up to take,
All will fall within his wake,
The 5 kings that will once be myth,
Will most definately not be missed,
The 5 kings will always have strife,
But in the Kingdom of Azrael,
King Turnain swears he will not on his life.
Now the Griffon grows strong in the North,
As the the new kingdom will come forth.

-Poem by Seneschal Gaelwulf of Senderfall and first Constable of the new Griffon Knights.

Folly
Upon the beginning of the new month, the King rode once and once again out of between the trees at the edge of the Larian Woods. To Cez, his knights now followed their King for the realm's weekly feast; and all the Lords were in attendance. For it was an anniversary of sorts this time here. It was the last city to fall to the King in the wars past. He only showed briefly for the feast yet he made time to speak with everyone present. The King allowed everyone to take in the beauty of the shiny new Dragon Tear he'd somehow obtained from the depths of the wood.

Wonder and loyalty of the nobles captured,
Land, towns and all the fiefs conquered,
with Pendor secured and reunited
A new period of peace
with a realm barren of threat;
its Lord grows bored

And so inevitably, the Knights of the Realm were gathered.
The Windriders, the Dragons, Lions, Griffons, Falcons, Valkyries, Raven Spear, Dawn and Eventide.
The Immortals, the Shadow Legion, the Wolves and even a legion and a half of Scorpions and all the other knights in between.
The Silvermist and Ebony Gauntlet, however, were the first the show
From all the land's four corners the King's ranks swelled with Knights starved for battle.

The King's Knightly legions stretched across the rolling plains as far as the eye could see.
The ground gave a gentle rumbling to those on the other side of the mountain.
Into the woods beyond Laria the Knights and their King sojourned
And once past the trees on the hill their march faded
Only to never again ride out from between the trees once more.

Sin of the father

Sharam stops Rambulhwa before he was able to enter Lesle`s yurt. The scars over her left cheek moves when she smiles at him.
“Let me speak with her first.”
“She wanted to die. She lost her beloved husband and all her children just a moment ago. She does need our support. She is our comrade and friend. We must …”
She saw his sincere concern for her and pats his shoulder with friendly gesture.
“I know. But I do believe that I can manage. She will come to you tomorrow alone.”
“Are you sure? If you need anything …”
“I`ll be fine. Go.”
He went further into the camp and she sends him with sight until he disappears between the yurts before to enter inside. Two Blademasters hold guards inside, mostly to prevent her to commit suicide. She sends them away and unplug Lesle`s mouth.
“Let me die!”

“Why, for Vata`s sake?” Sharam smile was cruel and her voice heavy with irony. “You lost only a husband that ment next to nothing for you and you will keep Cheina alive.”
The mentioning of her firstborn suddenly clears Lesle furious grimace. When she spoke, her expression was cold and calculative, her voice even.
“How so?”
“You are so … so very talented.” Sharam sat next to the fireplace and sip herself a cup of kumis. “You are capable to convince anyone that you love Diev and his children. But I do remember how I stitched your torn skin when Alyssa finishes with you, for she learned that you are pregnant from her husband. I convinced her that you lost the child and she let you live.”
“Vejovis himself asked for all my children! How you will be able to save her?” Lesle hold her neutral demeanor with such calmness and Sharam smiles with approval, truly impressed. 
“He asked for your and Diev`s children. Cheine is Alistair`s daughter so she can`t be accounted for his crime. I will explain it to His shaman.”

“And you think that he will accept it?”
“He will. None of them care to harm Alistair`s child so they will understand.”
“And what of my unborn one?”
“I`m afraid that you must sacrifice it.” Sharam`s face hardened. “You were quite clever, meeting him over his bills after you took Sharag`s duty.” Sharam look at her with uncovered admiration. “Vata! You cursed him so passionately that all warriors tried to stay away when he was called to give explanation for his oversized expenses! You are such a naughty girl! Even Sara may take some private lessons from you!”
Lesle`s expression softened and she nod in acceptance of the compliment.
“You can`t prove anything. I will be so devactated that even the warlord will try to protect me.”
“He isn`t someone who care for pleas or tears. I will not say anything to him but to Alyssa. You do remember Dirava Nakar, don`t you?”
Lesle`s eyes thinned.

“The Maiden Adventurer?”
“The same one. She lay with Alistair right after her promotion to Maiden in hope to win faster promotion to Heroine, but Alyssa found her first. How long did she scream, eh?”
Lesle kept her cool demeanor but she felt herself anything but cool. Large drops of swell appear over her face and Sharam smiles charmingly.
“As you wish. I`ll speak with her.”
“NO! Don`t do it!” Lesle saw with relief that Sharam sat back over the furs and took a deep breath. “I accept your terms. Will you kill it now?”
“Killing it now will kill you too. You will give birth, and I will give the baby to the shaman myself.”
“And nobody will knew?”
“Nobody needs to know.”
“Why? Why are you doing this for me? Where is the catch?”

“Hahahaha …” Sharam`s laughter was so sincere that Lesle stare at her with disbelieve. “Girl, I`m in awe with your talent for deceit and manipulation! For such a tall girl with really ordinary features your only advantage is the large breasts. And you use it so well, that from one ruined merchant you`ve become one of the Rambulhwa`s Twenty of the “Hororable Guards”, his trusted companion and a personal friend! You must be proud with yourself. I would be in your boots.”
“Does anyone else but you knows?”
“No. You are truly amazing one. I found it by pure accident and kept an eye of you just in case.”
Lesle thought about it shortly before to ask her a single question.
“And you aren`t angry?”
“Your personal affairs doesn`t concern me, as long as you are discreet about it. And your support for us seems genuine.”
Sharam finishes her kumis and stand. Lesle saw that she hesitates for a moment before to speak again.
“Don`t answer if you don`t want to, but I`d like to ask you something for some time. Do you love him?”
“You doesn`t seems to care from the start, why asking me right now?”

“I don`t care. It is something personal for you only. I`m only curious. See you later.”
When Sharam lift the hide at the yurt`t entrance Lesle`s voice came from inside, just enough to be heard from her only.
“I do love him.”
Sharam turn back and spoke with deep concern in her voice.
“Do try to have some rest. We will visit you again tomorrow.”

When Sharam enters her own yurt she immediately notice the tall figure next to her fireplace and the smell of roasting meat.
“You`ve been busy.”
“It kept my handss busy.” The other female didn`t turn herself toward the entrance and her scales and eyes reflected the flames.
Sharam sat against her and took herself a morcel and a bit of bread.
“She will give the unborn one.”
“Sso it wasn`t hiss.”
“She can`t challenge you and she knows it. It seems that she still hold her word, after all.”
“And I will hold mine. It sseems that I ssusspected her for nothing. I`m ssorry.”
Sharam offer her a cup with kumis with friendly smile.
“That`s the friends for. I`m glad to be of help.”
“Do you trusst her? For real?”
“She knows that her life depends of it. And she is still afraid from you so I do trust her.”
“It iss ssettled then. Thank you.”
“Forget about it. Now tell me about …

Lord and master

Nearga-Reun knelt in front of Qaggoth-Shaal and bow deeply. She nods to her and gesture to her to rise and spoke with gentle voice.
“I heard that Jeag hurt you, Reun. You know that I do care for you. Please, child, tell me what is going on.”
“She is … was envious, because Miri wanted to mate me and not her. Yes, he bowed to her and made appearance that he has interest toward her, but he told me that it was only to satisfy her enormous ego. She obviously believes that all males fell for her when she snaps her fingers, while they only fear her.” Reun`s wings shifted nerviously and she step from one foot to another before to continue. “She was furious when she finally realize it and I`m sure that she killed him just to make me to suffer. She is just the type, my lady. IF she can not have him, then nobody will be able to have him.”
Qaggoth-Shaal watches her carefully, still barely able to believe in her own ears. Nobody dares to speak so blunt and openly to her for centuries, and to accuse one of her daughters in open murder in front of her … Was it possible only because that girl was so stupid?

“I`m so sorry for your loss, my dear. Are you sure? Completely sure, child?”
Reun`s face twisted and her lips curved downward as a child, spanked for something that she didn`t stole from the kitchen.
“I`m sure! Jeag`s villanity knows no borders! When she wants something she doesn`t care who or what will be destroyed on her way! The only thing that matters for her is her own desires!”
Her face wrinkles in such sorrow that even the hardened hearts of Qaggoth-Shaal trembles for her.
“You`ve always been so kind to me, mistress, that`s why I can tell you everything.”
Qaggoth-Shaal smile was forced but fortunately Nearga-Reun was so busy with her complains that she didn`t notice. Still she took it for encouraging and continue.
“I do believe that when Jeag finally understood that she can`t have my Miri, she chooses one of the lesser creatures instead him.”
This time Qaggoth-Shaal wasn`t able to hold herself.
“Ugh?!?”

Unable to understand anything but her own misfortune Reun look at her with childish perseverance and nod in confirmation. Shaal manages to take back her jaws from the floor and murmur with shocked disbelieve.
“It can`t be! It`s impossible!”
“Then how a simple lesser creature under 100 years was able to defeat a proven Benazi warlord nearly 1000 years old?” Reun continue to insist with stupid confidence. “How such lesser creature manages to defeat a whole invading force of Benazi minions amongst Baatetsu, Tenari and the lesser creatures of this land? Just like that? Or someone told him his battle plans?”
“NO!” Shaal cut it flat.
“And then how a 174 santimeters tall creature with weight of 86 kilograms was able to defeat 223 santimeters tall and 224 kilograms weight an experienced Benazi warrior, almost a lord himself in duel? Somebody must have weakened him before the battle, for everybody on the field was able to see how stronger and faster than the lesser creature my poor Miri was!”
This time Qaggoth-Shaal actually spent some thoughts about it. It was not to believe, but there was something inside all of it. Reun continue with her sad litany.

“Who would have given her personal weapon to any lesser creature? Who would make a trusted personal slave from one unproven newly captured lesser creature for no reason? And who will give to any lesser creature the head of one Benazi for helmet, and his skin for armor? She chooses this miserable lesser creature and killed my Miri! Now she will tortures me, forcing me to see his his head and skin any time I`m moving around her! She is a vile, sadistic, shameless stealer of males!”
Qaggoth-Shaal almost bites her tongue on two in pure shock and mooed painfully. Reun misunderstood her and knelt before her.
“Please, forgive me, mistress! I didn`t want to upset you! You are so kind and compassionate, you are nothing like the evil seductress Jeag! Please, don`t be sad!”
Shaken to the bottom of her boots, Qaggoth-Shaal made some efforts to calm the poor, naive Reun and send her back to her own quarter with instruction to come back on the next day. But after Reun left the chamber her compassionated expression fade as drop of water over a lava lake. She was able to see tiny pieces from various reports suddenly into a new, and very different light. She suppresses her fury and forced herself to think calm. It wasn`t possible, it just wasn`t! It was all the imagination of saddened stupid girl, unable to see anything past her own dreams of mating with someone too high above her own lesser status! Yes, it was just that!
She took her decision and gave orders to her personal minions. Spies have been send, new reports has been requested, innocent question would have been asked. The truth was somewhere there, and Qaggoth-Shaal was determined to reveal it.

With the first light of the morning Asterbaath-Nalkaadst exit Qaggoth-Jeag`s personal chamber very pleased with himself. The night events surpassed all his expectations and the triumph over his old rival from Benazi family fills his hearts with joy. He went through the corridors without noticing anything or anyone, until just at the outer gates of the palace a single lesser creature wearing some tray, stood on his way and bow to him.
“A word, lord Nalkaadst, if you please?”
“What is it, slave?”
“My mistress, Princess Qaggoth-Jeag, commands your presence tonight, my lord.
He stares at the small creature with disbelieve. From the surprise, his voice came out with far less authority than he intended.
“SHE commands ME?!?”
The lesser creature snaps his fingers and suddenly the inner balcony of the hall fills with creatures, armed with bows. The corridor behind him and around him fills with more armed creatures. He saw the wet arrowheads and smells the familiar scent of tissurk. Such potent poison was definitely able to fell even a powerful Baatetsu like him. The armor was durable enough to protect him from the tiny arrows, but his wings were unprotected.

The lesser creature hissed.
“My Lady possesses you, body and soul. When she commands, you WILL obey. Or you will die.”
Nalkaadst`s veins almost cracked all over his powerful neck. Still he knew that they got him. The lesser creature hissed again.
“I`m waiting! I won`t ask you again!”
“I … will obey.”
“Does this slave bother you, my lord Asterbaath?”
Hazzlit-Ilaar gracefully came down from the nearest staircase and her fine embrodied robe whisper when she bows to him with all due to his rank respect. Nalkaadst gnarls.
“They dared to …”
“They?” Hazzlit-Ilaar looks at him with concern. “But there is only one slave here, my lord!”
Asterbaath-Nalkaadst pointed at the balcony and Hazzlit-Ilaar follows his finger with sight. Just as he pointed, he realizes that the hall was empty. All lesser creatures were gone as if they never existed.

“Are you feeling all right, my lord?”
Her concern startled him, but there was nothing he could do. Her eyes narrowed.
“What are you doing here, slave?”
The lesser creature bows.
“I brought the lord some shookt.”
“They had arrows, covered with tissurk!”
Hazzlit-Ilaar took the large goblet and drank small gulp. She hold it into her mouth and slowly swallows.
“It is just shookt, my lord, year 76906 of Jaelbaoth. Your favourite vintage. But you look a bit pale! Are you sure that you are all right? I could bring you a healer?”
Pale from fury, the demon lord took the goblet and drank it on a single breath.
“I just need some time to recover after the night, honorable Hazzlit-Ilaar. Please, excuse me.”
“Of course, my lord. You are always welcome here.”

She sends him away with confused sight, until she remembers the presence of the slave.
“Move, you slave! Do your duty!”
He bows to her.
“Of course. If you excuse me, I`ll do that.”
She didn`t waited any longer and walk toward the dining hall. The slave remains on his place. When she disappears, an armored figure came from the same corridor, wearing thin tabard with green snake over his armor of Knight of the Dawn. He stopped next to the slave and waited patiently for orders.
“You saw him. Wait a candle time and went outside. One servant with our sign will wait for you. He will lead you to his temporal residence. You will enter with some letter as a messenger. Kill him and use his head to infiltrate your Order.”
The knight considers his chances and found it as non-existent. Yet he was deeply obliged to the tribal warlord.
“My life is yours.”
“I didn`t asked for your life. I asked you to kill for me.”

“I can`t possibly defeat him in combat.”
The tribesman giggles.
“You are a smart man, you will figure it quickly. I do need someone inside your ex-Order. After you kill him, bring his head into their temple and just throw it over the altar. Don`t speak with anyone and just go home after that. They will find you.”
“They will never trust me. And I hate them all!”
“They left you to die, without to spend a handful of silver for your life. I do understand you. You were completely loyal and devoted to them until you were forced to realize that your life is nothing for them. But I will not ask you for your life. Your life belongs only to you since the day you alone choose to kill for me.”
“But now you are sending me to a suicide mission!” Tragan Amsert thought dark, yet he spoke only.
“What do you want me to do?”
“I told you already. Kill the demon lord, throw his head on Astraea`s altar and go home. No doubt some of your old comrades will contact you soon with request for your aid.”

“And how do you think they will trust my sudden interference?”
“You will ask for nothing and you will reject any attempt of theirs to recruit you. After all, you really want nothing from them.”
“But … you said that you need a man inside the Order?”
“My spymaster believes that you could do nothing to make them to believe you. But she is willing to bet that they separate your loyalty to their Order from your loyalty to their goddess.”
The knight froze.
“She abandoned me just like them! I`ve seen the Snake goddess speaking with her followers! I saw the demon goddess to heal mortal warriors who fought against her! Astraea doesn`t lift a finger for me or anyone else! I won`t forget! I won`t forgive!”
The tribesman spoke without changing his pose.

“We knew that. When a loyal and reliable servant like yourself is abandon like a dirty rag it could bring only shame and pain. But your squire wasn`t captured with you. He wasn`t put with you in that mine. Riva believes that he is still loyal to them more than to you. She is betting that he will spy you for them, so you don`t need to convince them for anything. When they came for you, tell them the truth – that you despise them and want nothing from them any more.”
“Talk is cheap!” The knight thought still convinced that his final moment is close. “You are speaking is such a way to make me forget that the demon will tear me apar soon.” Still Tragan swore to him that he will follow to the hell, if he commands him, so he bow and left.

One candle later Tragan was replaced from another guard and he went into the guard post to exchange his armor with casual clothes. At the outer palace gate another Knight of the Dawn in disguise of a stable hand waited for him.
“Greetings, fellow countryman!” Ser Vasand Lierma shouts at him. “Come on, the beer is on me!”
The new gate guards scold him.
“Get away from here, you drunk! We are on guard duty! Move!”
“Come on!” Tragan hold Vasand`s shoulder and dragged him forward. “You are already drunk.”
“And with good reason, my friend.”
Vasand kept his appearance and even support himself on his fellow knight, exaggerating his drunken status just a bit. When they came out of the guard`s viewpoint he strengthened himself and took the lead.
“I`m sorry for you, Brother. The miserable savage sends you on a suiside mission. I kept a spare horse and some supplies ready near the town gate. You can be far away from here up to the evening.”

Tragan Amsert holds his hand is strong grip.
“I will always remember you, my friend. And I`m grateful that you are willing to risk your head to save mine. But I gave my oath and I will hold true to it.”
Vasand hold his shoulders and look him right into his eyes.
“Don`t be a fool! You can not possible defeat a demon in single combat! The stinking tribal dog that boasts so much left and right wasn`t able to do it! You will die in vain only because of your stubbornness!”
“I owe him my life. Without him, I`d still be in that rotting pile of …” Tragan tries to smile. “And besides, you know that he will send people after me. How long the last one manage to evade them?”
“Thirteen days.” Vasand add in haste. “But Nassik survived for fourty seven days and …”
“And his own daughter stabs him in the guts when he tried to take his family away. The warlord kills the whole family of the deserters. And anyone else caught to help them. I don`t want you to die because of me. I will do my duty, and you will do yours. Let`s go.”

Vasand saw his friend`s determination and gave up. He led him toward an imposant house not far away from Koningur`s palace, owned to some noble Fierdsvain noble and turned to a temporal residence of the demon lord they were after. Two huge Baatetsu were on guard at the gates. He spoke to his friend.
“It is time.” He tried to smile. “Hey, since you will die anyway, why don`t you leave your fine warhorse to me?”
“Sure, why not? He is yours.”
Tragan went forward. When he came closer one of the guards raise a hand to stop him. Tragan put a hand under his simple garment and showed him large parchment.
“I`m a messenger of Lady T`lluak Anbarddsual. This is for you lord.”
The big demon shouted something. The gate opens and smaller black demon came outside.
“Why don`t you bow to your superiors, lesser creature? Give me that letter and begone!”
Tragan already accepted the thought that he would have die today. With his casual arrogance of Knight of the Dawn he raises his shoulders and spoke with open disguise in his voice.

“Strange. Somehow I thought that the great lord Asterbaath-Nalkaadst is a Baatetsu male, not some lesser Tenari female slave.”
The black Tenari actually turn gray in anger.
“YOU DARE …”
“Or you suddenly become a Baatetsu lord?” Tragan spits at her feet. “Do you know the punishment for impersonating of a superior one, you slave?”
“I didn`t …”
“And YOU DARE to reach for a letter sent for YOUR MASTER?”
The black-skinned demon cowered under his shout.
The two bigger Baatetsu guards look down at the Tenari female. One of them gnarls.
“What is going on?”
“This slave refuses to give me the letter for our master! He deserves to be punished!”

The srike throws her onto the stone floor.
“You aren`t the one to touch a letter for our master! Know your place, slave!”
She bows and murmur some excuses and the guards searched carefully the messenger before to lead him toward her master`s chambers. She knock on the door.
“A letter for you, Great One.”
Weak, almost bored voice came from inside.
“Let … him, aahhh, come.”
She opens the door and welcomes the messenger inside. He snorted at her with the superiority of a higher ranked servant before to march inside.
Even sitting, his horns came higher than his own head. The demon nods and Tragan knelt in front of him and offered him the parchment. Meanwhile he manages to throw a quick glance at the spacious room and notices some axes hooked on the walls. If only he could move closer enough to reach one…

The demon lord doesn`t took the letter and Tregan felt annoyance, but kept his posture. The time goes on and he coughed. No reaction came other than weak snuffling and he tried to look the axe with a sight. The tension become unbearable.
“My lord?”
Slight gnarl came from above and Tregan accept it for allowance to look up. The demon lord stood sitting on his place, his head low on his chest, his eyes closed. Tregan tried again, this time louder.
“My lord?”
Still no reaction follows and he reaches for the axe, expecting the demon to tear him apart any moment. He almost took one when the door opens and he stands still, cursing himself or the missed opportunity.
The incomer, an old Fierdsvain slave came with a low bow.
“Why is he still alive?”
Tregan assumed that his mission is revealed and look at the demon lord. Yet no new sound or movement came from his side and he look at the old slave. His wrinkled face twisted in annoyance and he spoke again.

“I asked you: Why is he still alive?”
“Are you talking to me?”
“Aren`t you the one send to kill him? I`m too old to swing that axe with enough strength to kill!”
“But he …”
“Are you blind, youngster?” The old one hissed angrily. “He is obviously drugged with something! Move your lazy arse and do something!”
In a short moment Tregan remember the warlord, wearing tray with some goblet onto it and understood everything. The warlord was also a healer and most probably tricked the demon lord to drink something – drug or sleeping powder. “Kill the demon lord, throw his head on Astraea`s altar and go home.” That was his exact order and Tregan took the nearest axe. He chooses the neck as the most suitable target and slashes with all his strength. The blade burrows deep into the demon`s neck but the issued sounds were too weak to be heard outside. Blood spreads all over Tregan and he swing for another hit. This time the thick backbone fell under the heavy blade and the head fell forward, hold only to some muscles and skin.

Another strong hit and it fell completely severed. Covered in black blood from head to toe, Tregan started to look around for something to cover the head. The old man snorted, opens a chest and gave him a large bag made from thick leather.
“Use that. Outside, under the window there is a cask large enough to cover the head. Walk right forward and at the third crossroad turn left for the new temple of Astraea. Now clear yourself in that bucket and exchange your bloodied dress with mine.”
Tregan did what he was told. Doing it, he asked the old man.
“What about you?”
“When they took the town they ate my whole family in front of my eyes but kept me alive for slave because I was the most powerful nobleman in the town.” The old man spit on the lacquered floor. “A trophy! ME! I will show them!”
“You can come with me.”
“No, youngster. I have other things to do and you have your duty. Now help me to secure that rope ladder!”
Tregan helped him and climb down with the large bag over his neck. He quickly put it into the cask, nod to the old man who walk on the opposite direction with bloodied dress and axe and went toward the temple.

The ceremony was nearly at its end when something heavy hit the door and it swing open. A scared laborer wearing some cask enters and walks toward the altar. The knights and the guards gathered around the chanting priests stood on his way.
“Begone, peasant!” One of them hissed with low voice. “This is a sacred moment. Come back tomorrow!”
The laborer respond with rough voice.
“Get out of my way, ser Gistak.”
“Do I know you, peasant? Were you a servant of mine?”
“You left me for dead after that fight with the Vanskerry raiders near Odasan village. They bind me like a pig for slaughter and sold me for slave!”
The knight stares at him in shocked recognition.
“Ser Tregan! I thought that you are dead!”
“Is that so? And you didn`t know that your brother refused to purchase my freedom from the slavers? Yeah, that`s right! Now get out of my way!”

Tregan pushes his way toward the altar. The priests around it didn`t stopped their chanting. The high priest, knelt next to the altar continues to lead the prayers.
“… pray for your guidance, oh Astraea. Goddess of Justice hears our plea! Lead us through the time of Darkness that fell upon this land! Save us from the Evil that grows in our midst and defend us from …”
“… the temptation bla-bla-bla.” Tregan left the cask to fell on the beautifully painted floor.
The high priest didn`t move a muscle.
“Protect us in our moments of weakness. Illuminate our path with your Divine Light and we shall serve you forever…”
“Yeah, yeah, blab forever as usually. But the best sanctification came from the blood of the enemy!”
Speaking the last words Tregan open the bag and drop the bloodied demon head right over the altar. Collective shout of surprise came from all the knights. Tregan turn his back and walk away.

Shortly after he left the temple the chanting came to its critical moment. The most important prayer was performed flawlessly and the soacked in sweat priests remain on their knees fully exhausted. The guards who barricaded the door gathered again around them, additing their prayers toward those of the knights and their squires. Finally it was over. The temple was sanctified.
The high priest raises first and spoke to his fold.
“Great difficulties expect us, but with strong fate and our Goddess guidance we will work together to prevail any obstackle in Her way. We went together through a lot. We …”
Ser Ralad Baluent stopped when fade light appears over the altar between him and the other priest. Weak female voice spoke:
“I HEARD YOUR PRAYER!”

No Such Thing as Destiny, Part I: Arrival

Alabard Reango did not like traveling by sea.

When he was a young child in Barclay, his father often made him get on one of his merchant vessels and travel to various places. But unfortunately, Alabard quickly discovered that he was prone to seasickness, and vomited practically the entire duration of each and every voyage. His arrogant father simply brushed his youngest child's sickness off, saying that he would simply "grow out of it".

And now, as Alabard slowly stumbled his way off of the passenger ship he had been on, he thought about his long dead father and all the hell he had put him through during his childhood. "Damn that bastard," he muttered under his breath as he carefully walked across the pier and towards the city of Janos.

- - -​

Alabard didn't know much about Pendor, only that it was a continent vary far away from his homeland. Hopefully, he figured, it was far enough away that those despicable assassins couldn't possibly find him here. But with his luck, it was likely that they had found where he was going months ago and were sailing their way to Pendor at that very moment.

But he quickly reassured himself that he had nothing to worry about. Currently, he was at an inn, laying on a comfortable bed and quickly falling asleep for the for the first time in seven months.

The last thing Alabard thought about before going to bed that night was what he was going to do now that he had arrived in Pendor. Earlier, he had thought about trying to make a name for himself and work as a merchant again, but that was before he remembered how much he hated it back in Barclay. Maybe this time, he could do something that he actually felt happy doing. He had only taught about how to be a merchant his entire life, just like his father, as well as his father before him.

It's fine, Alabard thought to himself.

I'll figure it out eventually...

This is probably going to cover an entire campaign, from arrival (as shown above) to the unification of Pendor.

To shape the future

“DEAD!” Qaggoth-Jeag roars deafening and her court cowers before her. “A Baatetsu Lord, killed in his own manor and you know NOTHING for that! Useless vermins! Good-for-nothing insects! Fat worms!”
She continues to rave for some time before she was able to think more clearly.
“I want his assassin to be found alive and brought to me! IS THAT CLEAR?”
The court left in haste and she turn toward her newest slave, who kept remarkable calm posture all the time, while mighty demons tremble in fear.
“Did you kill him?”
“Who?”
She felt again the overwhelming desire to tear him apart but instead she roars in his face.
“Asterbaath-Nalkaadst!”
Any Tenari and most Baatetsu would have knelt, begging for mercy in her feet, but the lesser creature only wrinkles.
“I`ve killed many, mistress. How does he look like?”

Blood-black veil covered her vision. She put a nail, sharp as a dagger under his left eye.
“Do not dare to play with me, slave! I was told, that you`ve met him at the palace`s gate! You brought him some drink!”
“The fat cuckold?” The small creature didn`t tremble, only raises his shoulders with indifference. “I`ve met him on my way to the armory. I took pity on him and brough him a goblet of shookt from the kitchen. Then he went outside and I continued with my work.”
Qaggoth-Jeag gaped from futy from such disrespect.
“You dare to insult a Baatetsu Lord?”
“How can I possibly knew who he is? Most Baatetsu looks the same to us.”
Most humans also looked the same for her and Qaggoth-Jeag was inclined to believe him. Still she asks with suspiciouness in her voice.
“Did you poisoned him?”
Hazzlit-Ilaar spoke with low voice behind her.

“I`ve met them myself. He was looking strange and accused it for assault, but there was no one around but us. Then he accused him for attempt to poison him, but I tried the alcohol myself before he drink it. It was strong, but if there was some poison I would have been affected as well. He acted … quite strange all the time.”
The princess thought about it before to try one more time.
“And where did you go after you met him?”
“After I inspected the armory I went to oversee the new plans of Ksantgrumtskal, the engineer. He wants to destroy the whole town before to build an entirely new one, more appropriate for your kind, mistress. We argued about it up to very late.”

It could hardly be a lie, so Qaggoth-Yeag sighed deeply and return to her bench, spreading the robe around her by old habit. She make a gesture toward the slave to get out.
“Begone!”
“As you wish, mistress.” The small creature bow deeply. “You are looking so beautiful when you are so full with … emotions!”
Her teeth creacked nerviously. Yet there was no law or custom, preventing the slaves to praise their masters. She actually thought to issue such a verdict, yet her advisors dissuade her with the argument, that it would be more that just a strange a beautiful female to issue order not to be called beautiful. Which means, however, that the disgusting, irritating, annoying liitle creature uses every opportunity to stare at her and compliment her many talents, abilities and features. She wanted to scream in fury, yet the shot piece of scum literally had no fear of death and refused to be intimidated of her clear disapproval about his … advances … no, his … intimations. All his compliments sound so polite and respectful, yet she knew exactly what the little creature had in mind. She felt herself physically dirty every time she felt his eyes upon her.
“I said “GET OUT, SLAVE!” She roars with anger.

“Mistress, are you all right?”
Hazzlit-Ilaar`s voice, full with tension and concern surprised her, and Qaggoth-Jeag turn toward her.
“Yes. I suppose. Why?”
Hazzlit-Ilaar look at the reddened, flushed and sweated face of her mistress – all of it clear signs of physical arousing. “What she could possibly think … she and that slave?” She tried to push away such dishonorable thought out of her mind.
“Well … the slave left almost half-candle time ago, my mistress.”

Later the same night Qaggoth-Jeag was awaken from Hazzlit-Ilaar. Wearing only her thin night robe she went into the living room and sat upon the bench with regal pose. Several guards dragged an old Fierdsvain male with badly broken limbs. The little creature was quite wrinkled, his skin was thin as old parchment. “Probably this happens with their kind when they get a bit older.” The thought came quickly and went away even faster, when the nearest guard showed to her heavy axe still with several black spots over it. She sniffs deeply and immediately recognizes the smell of Baatetsu blood.
Hazzlit-Ilaar bows to her and reported.
This creature tried to sell the axe to one blacksmith near the eastern town gate, Mistress. The smith hold him and sent one of his servants to call us. The guards also found badly washed pair of clothes still with spots of blood over it. This is our assassin.
Qaggoth-Jeag waive a hand and the lesser creature screamed in pain.
“Why did you do it?”

“WHY?” The lesser creature shouted furiously, with blood streaking down from his mouth. “You took our country! You forced me to watch while you ate my whole family in front of me! My anscient noble family died in a day! My whole noble lineage, hundreds of years of nobility died from your demonic forces! You took me for slave and you asking me why? How dare to …”
Another gesture and the little creature flied right toward her and Qaggoth-Jeag torn half of its head with a single bite.
“YOU MUST KNOW YOUR PLACE, LESSER CREATURE! YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS UNTIL I DECIDE OTHERWISE!”
She throws the body toward the nearest guards.
“Dismember the body and hang the parts at the town`s main square for three days. Let the other lesser creature to see it and to learn their lesson!”
All bowed to her.
“AS YOU COMMAND, MISTRESS!”

“A Hauptmann from “Forlorn Hope” asks for a private meeting, master.”
Tamresh Verdan put aside the newly finished Arbalest on the nearest table with the rest from the last batch, cleaned himself a bit with the nearest bucket with cold water and went toward the inner room. His personal bodyguards stood alert and tensioned around the three visitors. The first of them, done in Masterwork Forlorn Hope heavy armor was clearly the leader, while the other two, done in long scale mails and helmets had to be his bodyguards.
“I believe, that I know all “Forlorn Hope” officers within the Hauptmann rank. What is your name, ser?”
The guest remove his heavy helm, revealing vaguely familiar face. Hard features, broken nose and deep wrinkles around the mouth, that pointed to him that this man wasn`t inclined to smile often. But it was hardly a surprise.
“I didn`t expected from you to fogot me, master Tamresh. You shouted your support for me from the first row of seats when I won the title “First sword” amongs my brothers.”
The clear grey eyes hold his own for a time, and then the man smiles.
“If you forgot my face, perhaps you will recall the armor, you alone forge for my victory. It is said, that you can recognize every piece of armor forged by your own hands.”

The master smith look upon the armor with experienced eyes, pretending to look for its quality, while hidden amongst the pauldron`s engraving he saw the name of its wearer.
“Forkanor Telaritis!” Tamresh exclaimed with uncovered surprise in his voice. “I thought that you are dead, ser! Your expedition sent back no reports and all who went with your were declared for dead a decade or more ago."

As the commanders murmured amongst themselves, Hatakir stood up and opened a chest at the corner of his tent. He tossed a thick book bound by heavy leather on the table, dropping a mask of silence amongst his commanders. They considered him, as he held the cover for all to see the title written in gold, "This, my comrades, is the Hexa Codexa, Lethaldiran confronted me about." He let them look at its contents. Each showed the other and finally Sinclair laughed before saying, "Captain, you jest! How can these numbers guide you with anything, let alone make a remedy for our Sergeants?" Ansen who had taken an interest on a certain page, shouted out, "The.Ashenborne!" Hatakir was amazed and amused as he took the book from Ansen. "Now, now, let us not call those who are hiding. Let them bide their time."

The book was back in its chest and Hatakir picked up the Noldor noble armours. "Sinclair, for your outstanding devastation you lay on the battlefield, it is an honour to present with this and you, Frederick, the men speak of your valor." Sinclair took his armour as he removed his old one. The commanders objected but Sara whistled and eyed his naked body. The armour was a bit tight but he remarked on its lightness. He was a sight to see with the armour filled by his huge frame and a Bearclaw helm.

The scent of burning wood filled the air as the men prepared their evening meal. The camp was awash with the scent of roast chicken and sounds of ale barrels opening. A hawk circled above the camp before swooping in the Captain's tent. "That poacher's chicken shall find itself roasting on a fire one day,"
shrieked for it flew above her head landing on its perch. "If you dare touch Lofri, I assure you a slow death," Leslie glared at Adonja who scoffed at her threat. "Enough!" Hatakir bellowed as he took and read a small note. "Diev sends word of Jatu nearby as he moves to Valorshield." "Jatu, Yatu, tis all loot," Kassim remarked. They laughed, as food was set before them.

“Well, I`m truly glad that you are back and well, even after so much time. What happened to you?”
The heavy build man respond slowly while his eyes look in the past.
“Shipwreck and then ambush. I was the sole survivor. I joined a mercenary warband and fought in Pendor for all that time. We won in the end, at least I hope so.”
He tried to smile but instead an ugly grimace twisted his hard face.
“We heard rumors that someone invented a new fast-firing crowssbow. When we finally got a sample of that weapon I thought that I`ve seen such kind of craftsmanship somewhere. I spoke with my warlord and he sent me here. I see that my suspiciouness weren`t for nothing. It was you.”
Something in the man`s voice sound like a threat and Tamresh Verdan casually lowered his hands under his desk where another small crossbow was hidden.
“Yes, I invented that beauty. And I named it “Arbalest”. “The best crossbow” on our language - isn`t it a good name, eh? Do you want to buy it?”

“No.” The man`s face darkened considerably. “I do want to pay you not to sell that kind of weapon to anyone. I want you to destroy all produced ones and to ensure that no one will be able to put his hands on such weapon ever again.”
Tamresh Verdan laugh high and loud.
“My, oh my! You`ve become such a comedian, ser!”
He stike a fist over his desk.
“I am the master smith who invented such a crossbow, that is possible to release FOUR bolts for barely twenty heartbeats and you dare to ask me to stop! NO WAY, dear ser!”
“I will pay you in gold for all produced number and a considerable sum every year after that not to reveal your secret to anyone.”
Forkanor saw the stubborn grimace and tried harder.
“Please, ser, I beg you to reconsider! Your weapon is way too powerful for any battlefield! When all combatants armed themselves with it the war will be truly a terrible event. The  armies will be no longer from true warriors but from mere peasants armed with your crossbow! Tens of times more people will die compare to the current state of events. Do you want to put that over your consciousness? I do not believe so, ser!”

Tamresh Verdan jump on his feet with weapon in hand and his guards pointed their weapons at his visitors too. He shouted enraged.
“You understand nothing! For all your years on the battlefield you are just a soldier and nothing more! MYWEAPON will made the war such a terrible event that no one will ever dare to wage war if everybody are armed with it! There will be peace, at last! And all thanks to my hard work.!”
Forkanor shook his head with regret to the foolish man`s blindness.
“I fought one battle after another my whole life, ser. Let me tell you something from experience, not from dusty scrolls or bard`s songs. There is no weapon that will make the war impossible. It will just kill more people. And nothing more. I`ll offer you 20 000 gold pieces to stop this madness.”
“You are an old soldier who is afraid that your famous prowes will become obsolete. Yes, old man, you and your way of fighting is outdated! The progress can not be stopped from wishful thinking.” He looks at the old warrior with some measure of pity. “Just buy yourself a nice home to live your last days in comfort. You can`t pay for my secrets anyway. When the lords of the lands hear about my masterpiece, they will pay me dozens … no, hundreds of times more than some pathetic 20 000 gold pieces!”

Forkanor tried one last time.
“I beg you to reconsider, ser. Please, listen my plea. Think for all those who will lose their lifes unnecessary! With your weapons the soldiers will have no chance to defend themselves, their skills and abilities will no longer matters. Only the sheer number will prevail in any war. Do you truly want this?”
“I don`t care what may or may not happen after my death, you fool. I am a merchant. I work for profit. Everything I did, everything I`m doing, everything I WILL DO is for profit. MY PROFIT! Your imaginary future may never happen anyway. I`m tired of you. BEGONE! And never bother me again with your imaginable future, ok?”
Forkanor bows to him. The weight of defeat was heavy over his shoulders. He felt himself overburdened and it was crearly visible at his face.
“As you wish, ser. With your permission, I will take my leave.”

At the sunsetTamresh Verdan close the door after the last member of the Smith`s Guild and gather his guards to go home. The meeting went well, even better than he expected. The eight Masters of the Guild immediately recognized the unlimited potential for profit and were eager to ensure him for their support. They could almost smell the mountain of gold awaiting them. And who could have blame them? They were privateers. Their first and only duty was to themselves.
Two of his house guards standing at the gates opened the two wings for their master and he went inside the big house with only four guards. The rest went toward the stables.
He opened the house gate and went toward the dining room. The guards, done in full armor were on their places but there were no servants in the corridors and he felt a spark of unease. He sent one guard to check the kitchen and another toward the armory. Alone with the other two guards only he push the door toward the dining room.
Sitting at the head of the long lacquered table on his own usual spot, along with his whole large family, with one armed person standing next to each one of them, Forkanor Telaritis hold Tamresh`s youngest grandchild, a girl, four years old, spoke calm.
“I`m so glad that you`ll join us.”
Tamresh stares at him for a brief moment and then his reflexes activated and he throw himself back. Someone kick him from behind and he fell forward toward the table.

Hidden from the inner side of the dining room`s gate assassins step forward and sliced the throaths of his guards while they still trying to draw their swords. Everything happens so fast that it took barely five or six heartbeats from the moment he saw the intruder and the next moment he was on the floor and someone`s boot press heavily on his neck. Tamresh screamed for help as loud as he could. His granddaughter began to cry.
“You will frighten the child, master Tamresh.”
“I have thirty house guards! Surrender and I may …”
“They are already dead. I lost four of my own men, but no one will come to your help, master. So, please, join us. Perhaps you would like to … reconsider your position a bit?”
“No! Release them immediately! I demand …”
Thin blade pierced the right side of his arse and his last word turn to piercing scream. Well build woman with long light-brown hair falling low under her shoulders smiles.

“What a noisy fella. At least this house have very thick walls.”
She pushes the master smith forward with the blade, still buried deep inside his flesh. Tamresh`s wife, Handa, spoke with trembling voice.
“Husband, I …”
The armored person standing next to her casually put his sabre deep inside her stomach.
“You were told to stay silent.”
Handa`s screms become louder when the person twisted the blade and slowly began to push up toward her chest. Tamresh tried to throw forward, but the woman hit some nerve center and he was unable to move at all. She carefully let him to fell on his knee, holding him carefully in position to see everything. Finally, after that seemed a whole eternity she gave some signal and the assassin carefully press the blade up, reaching the heart.
“You will tell me everything about the production of the weapons, where they are stored and who else knew about their creation. Speak.”

Tamresh open his mouth twice before he found himself capable to speak.
“YOU MURDERER! I WLL …”
Another small stike left him speechless and he saw with terror how Forkanor sigh, put his large hand over the head of his granddaughter and press with strength. The child screamed and then his skull broke, spreading blood, brain and bone parts around.
“Wrong answer.”
The child mother, Lanisia, one of Tamresh`s daughters-in-law screamed in horror. The man, standing next to her put his sabre into her mouth with such strength that the blade jumped out from the back of her chair. Blood and teeth covered the snow-white table cloth and the food over it. He issued a roar.
“STAY SILENT, YOU FOOLS!”
The woman, holding Tamresh, smiles at Forkanor and spoke with gentle, pleasant voice.
“It seems that he will not co-operate, commander.”

Forkanor wrinkles in agreement and cleared his armored gauntlet in the table cloth.
“This mission is of utmost importance, Tanalaresh. Do what you wish, but I must have that information. You came with excellent recommendation from lord Ferenk, his son – ser Alistair also speaks highly of your skills. We have only this night to finish our mission here. I don`t need to tell you again how important that is?”
Tamresh smiles again.
“Thank you kindly, commander. My father seved the good lord Ferenk all his life, as my family served Aloniel`s noble family for eleven generations. We never disappointed our lords. The warlord personally explained the mission`s importance to me and I volunteered to join you with my group. You may count on me, commander! I will not fail you!”
Forkanor stand from his place and bow to her.
“And I`m grateful to you for that, as I`m sure the warlord will be grateful too. I`ll wait in the kithchen.”
Sharaa and Sharak went with him, as silent as his own shadow.

Four candles time later twenty-seven wagons loaded with broad chests stopped at the port`s guardhouse. One heavily armored infantryman step forward with parchment in hand.
When they saw the man`s armor, the six guardsmen stand still and hit their chests with their armored fists. One of them shouted for their senior.
“Sergeants Drentonen, we have a visitor!”
An older sub-officer with long scar over his left cheek came quickly from the guardhouse. Just as the other soldiers, he quickly hit his chest with one armored gauntlet.
“A visit from “Forlorn Hope” representative? We are honored … “ The sergeant`s eyes quickly found the rank marks over the armor and he was fairly impressed. “ … (gulp), Hauptmann! I`m sergeant Drentonen Narvadin. How we may be of service?”
“I purchased some weapons from the Smith`s Guild that I want loaded on my ship before the dawn, sergeant Drentonen. I`ll be grateful for a bit of help. Most of my men are still way behind us and they may be late.”
“Of course, Hauptmann!” Sergeant Drentonen sent two men to call the other guards. “I have a hundred men and we will gladly offer our helpt to any member of Forlorn Hope. At that time we can`t bring the porters in time.”

“I wouldn`t ask you to use your men as porters, sergeant.”
“We are always happy to assist our best, Hauptmann. Please, let us help you.”
“Very well. And I thank you.”
While the cargo was loaded the other groups of assassins began to appear one after another. Several people amongst them were missing, some hide wounds under their cloaks and armors, but all came with success. Meanwhile several thick colums of smoke become visible in the distance. When all was done, sergeant Drentonen came to report. Forkanor look at the impassively face and the casual report of the sergeant. When he finishes, he asks.
“You didn`t asked for the smoke, nor for my wounded men, sergeant. I know that you notice it.”
“I don`t need to ask, Hauptmann.” Drentonen respond without blinking an eye. “I can put such things together. Sometimes “Forlorn Hope” must do something, that need to be done. I fought in three campaigns before to collect enough to return home.”

“That bad, eh? I`ve been away for more than a decade, sergeant. But surely it couldn`t be that bad!”
“The Count and his nobles become richer and richer after each campaign, that is for sure. But the prices always goes up and the commoners barely struggle to survive. And nobody believes that the things will become better, not any more. Many people left Mettenheim with their families and never came back. And I don`t think that you will return home too, Hauptmann.”
Forkanor took a fat purse and offer it to the sergeant.
“I thank you for your help.”
He didn`t reached for it.
“We don`t help the best amongst us for coins, Hauptmann. “Forlorn Hope” means a lot for every soldier here.”
Taking a sudden decision, Forkanor unlock his armor and remove it, remaining wih his leather undergarment. With a single strike he sliced through the rank mark.

“Take my armor and go to our citadel, sergeant Drentonen Narvadin. Tell them that Hauptmann Forkanor Telaridis sent you for initiation.”
The man`s eyes turned round in shock and he made an involuntary step back.
“I can`t do that! That armor alone surely costs more than everything I looted in my life!”
“Take it. We need more men like you. Some things can not be bought with coins.”
The sergeant bows deeply, tears appeared on his wethered face.
“I … I humbly accept your great gift, Hauptmann.” He thought for a moment. “But if I may ask, where you will go, ser?”
“Back in Pendor, to my warlord. Now I have a whole town that I call my own. I must take care for my duties.”
“I … I hope that we may meet again, one day.”
“We may, ser, we may.” Forkanor offers him the pouch again. “If the things are as bad as you say, take every good soldier you know and use that to pay for transport to the port of Windholm in Pendor. With their families. The port guards knows how to find me.”

Back
Top Bottom