Molasses March, or, Why Does the Time Pass So Slowly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doughnut189

Recruit
I decided to join a Sayazn army after booting up a fresh game and creating a character, who dreamt of one day restoring the greatness of Egypt to Qara-Shajan, and immediately my least favorite part of this well-made mod washed over me:

Walking alone across the farmlands of the provinces I moved at a speed of around 3.4, and once I'd joined an army that plummeted down to a mere 1.3. 
It's not the slow movement speed of armies across the map that bothers me, really, but the seemingly slower progression of time than I'm used to in other mods coupled with it.

Playing a game of Warband has, let's face it, a lot of waiting around to it, and immersion is all well and good, but I don't think that I should have to crack open In Search of Lost Time in order for my term of conscription in the army to be bearable.

Does this bother anyone else, is this a creative decision on the part of the developer(s), or is there something wrong with my installation?

Its completely intended. In earlier versions, Invasion armys would arive in less then 1 day and role over the enemy realm. Also it makes the map feel bigger and ads a bit of realism.
It seems anoying at the start, but you will get used to it quickly

Yep, it's intended. Originally I had a problem with kingdoms dying by day 30 because of how quickly they could attack and counterattack. I had reduced garrison sizes (nobody likes sieges and large garrisons cause bugs) and the map was quite crowded. So instead of making the map larger (and increasing lag and that feeling of emptiness), i made movement about half as fast.

I guess I could make map icons smaller, but the text would be the same size and I can't change that.

If you hold CTRL+Spacebar this "fast forwards" the game, which saves a lot of time on long marches where you don't need to maneuver.

jacobhinds said:
Yep, it's intended. Originally I had a problem with kingdoms dying by day 30 because of how quickly they could attack and counterattack. I had reduced garrison sizes (nobody likes sieges and large garrisons cause bugs) and the map was quite crowded. So instead of making the map larger (and increasing lag and that feeling of emptiness), i made movement about half as fast.

I guess I could make map icons smaller, but the text would be the same size and I can't change that.
Hey Jacob, I was wondering exactly that. For those with faster computers could you just make the map bigger while keeping the standard time/speed? My problem with the movement speed is that a week will go by quicker than I will have a chance to accumulate money from trades, battles, and raiding. It often ends up with me with little or no money at the end of the week. If it's not too much problem to add it in as an option or additional download I would be ecstatic.

jacobhinds said:
If it's not too much problem to add it in as an option or additional download I would be ecstatic.

Done. In the upcoming build it will be an option to choose from the start menu.
**** yeah! Thanks man, by your estimates how much bigger will the map be to compensate for the time dilation?

I am really torn on the speed. As is its near impossible to keep up with money and food when you have a decent sized army and its dragging out the pace of the game. Trying to play a merchant, forget it. it takes forever to go from one city to the next and makes the game feel like a simulator.

Is it possible to perhaps increase the size of weaker nations via larger and cheaper armies so they are not steam rolled so fast while at the same time making modern armies a little more expensive and smaller sized? This would allow you to increase the travel speeds a little at least as well has perhaps easing the money/food issues as well.

Dont know if its possible, but was worth mentioning. This mod has so much potential and looks great BTW. Really love the idea of nations advancing technology.

Maybe you could reduce the power of the Sayaznid by giving them fewer lords.
They're supposed to be overextended in the lore or something I think maybe, so this would simulate that well, and also make their armies take forever to respond to enemy threats, and even if they band together and gobble one tiny empire all of the other ones will be free to ravage their border towns while they're busy with that.

Back
Top Bottom