Internet disconnects every 30 minutes for a few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir Prince

Formerly Reformed Spammer
Count
So a couple of weeks or so ago my internet started disconnection for a second at 6:3PM. I'm not sure how often this happened since it only lasts a few seconds and I only noticed it when playing NW for Warband, but it seemed to only really happen at 6:31 PM once or twice a week. Last Friday that changed to ever 30 minutes, starting at 6:31 PM. The exact second is different each time, but it is always at #:01, and #:31.

I am running Windows 7 and am directly wired in with a cat6 ethernet cable. My PC is the only one in the house affected, the servers, other PCs, laptops and smartphones are not affected.

I have tried a number of things:
- Flushing DNS, setting DNS to google servers.
- Some other CMD stuff.
- Switching which port I plug my Ethernet cable into the router, also stuck it directly into the modem.
- Uninstalling & reinstalling Network card drivers.
- Disabling IPV6.
- Some other stuff I forget.
- Going through recently installed programs. I haven't deleted all of them yet, as they are mostly just games on Steam.
- Checked for anyone else on the network set to do some major task or update at that time, found nothing.

The only thing showing up in event logs is this:
Name resolution for the name spade.twitch.tv timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

The website address is different each time (and sometimes is fake) and only one warning shows up each time.

If I am loading a website when my net goes down for a few seconds it stops loading it properly as I seem to lost internet for a few seconds. The internet icon on my task bar does not change though, and some programs don't show any effect or sometimes don't show an effect (Teamspeak usually disconnects, but has remained connected two or three times). Streaming like Twitch stops and reloads the video, MP games boot me off the server (MInecraft, M&B NW, Insurgency), and Steam seems to remain unaffected unless I am downloading something which is affected briefly. Even Trillian's IM chat is sometimes affected, showing me disconnecting and reconnecting.

I did a fresh install of windows on an SSD in November or December, but I had no such problem until recently. Only other hardware change has been replacing my GTXX 260 with a GTX 470 just after New Years.

Any and all ideas welcomed, this is incredibly frustrating as it makes MP gaming kind of difficult.

J said:
Taking a look in Task Scheduler and seeing the active tasks for any set for 6:30-ish wouldn't hurt.
Nothing in there seems to be set to go off every 30 minutes or at 6:31.

michi said:
Probably your internet company gies you  new dynamic ip everyday at 6:30.
Seeing how it happens every 30 minutes and no longer at just 6:31 PM seems a bit odd, I did check that though but didn't find any evidence for it.

It has started affecting one of the other PCs in the house now though, also wired into the router.

Do you still have the old router of the same make? Or the same router from a friend or cousin, or a new brand of router entirely.

Use this in conjunction with a virgin comp that hasn't connected to the router before.

If this setup is still giving you the same symptoms, then the real issue is beyond your locale.

I had a bit similar problem. My nemesis turn out to be nephews ipad. :smile:  When it connects to cloud internet stop working for everyone else for a few minutes. After closing cloud update problem solved.

But he did something to ipad later now he cant connect to internet from ipad but when he tries we cant either :grin:    Prob. our router has some hate for ipads....

Swadius 2.0 said:
Do you still have the old router of the same make? Or the same router from a friend or cousin, or a new brand of router entirely.

Use this in conjunction with a virgin comp that hasn't connected to the router before.

If this setup is still giving you the same symptoms, then the real issue is beyond your locale.
Pretty sure there are a couple of old routers, not the same ones though. However, it does still happen even when directly plugged into the cable modem so I dunno. The only thing showing up in the router logs is apparently "Port 5 disconnected" "Port 5 connected" whenever it happens, so it is only showing it for the port my ehternet cable was plugged into. We also tried moving them around but it still stuck with my computer (and now, a few times, the PC in the living room).

We don't have a 'virgin' computer to try, although I think one roommate just ordered parts for a new HTPC so we'll see if that has the same problem or not whenever the gets the parts and has it set up. I am going to try moving my PC to another cable.

EDIT: I kind of hope it's not an issue with my ISP, but SHAW cable has been having a lot of issues with their infrastructure lately.

Back
Top Bottom