Mythological Creatures

Users who are viewing this thread

Liathbeanna

Section Moderator
One of the populer culture's most important figures are dragons. They take place in almost every fantastic books, films, games etc. But what about their origins? In which mythologies the dragons take place and what was their importance?

EDIT: The subject seems to be extending with the griffons and all, so I've changed the title.

Mosin Nagant said:
In which mythologies the dragons take place and what was their importance?
Norse mythology comes to mind. Nidhogg/Níðhöggr was a dragon who sat in the underworld (iirc) and chewed on the roots of the great tree, Yggdrasil, which supported the realms of Asgard (heaven) Midgard (earth), the realm of the dwarves, and other worlds which I can't recall the names of. IIRC it was believed that he would finish his chewing and then come out of his underworld lair on the day of Ragnarok (basically Armageddon, the end of the world(s)).

I may have made mistakes in there. I haven't read up on Norse myths in ages. :oops: 

9781780967301.JPG

Cadmus and the Dragon. According to Herodotus, the battle between Cadmus and the
dragon occurred several generations before the fall of Troy. This artwork depicts Cadmus in
this time period, using weapons and armour appropriate to a warrior of the Aegean Bronze
Age.

SCHXm2t.jpg

Sigurd slaying Fáfnir. While most modern depictions of Sigurd/Sigfried show the hero
wearing primitive skins, this artwork presents him in the dress and armour appropriate to a
Germanic warrior of the sixth century.

P3D0ECF.jpg

Beowulf and the Fire Drake. The Beowulf dragon is the first example in European mythology
of a fire-breathing dragon. Previously, most dragons had poisonous breath. This might be an
early indication of Christianity creeping into the tale, using fire to connect the dragon to
Satan, or, just as likely, it highlights the danger of fire at a time when nearly everything was
constructed of wood.

41prvFI.jpg

The Historical St. George. This artwork is an attempt to depict a ‘historical’ encounter
between St. George and the dragon. St. George is shown fighting in a manner appropriate to a
Roman cavalryman of the 3rd or 4th century. The ‘dragon’ is a very large crocodile.

ZceUybH.jpg

The Redcrosse Knight. In 1590 the English poet, Edmund Spenser, released the first part of
his epic poem, The Faerie Queene. The hero of book one is The Redcrosse Knight, who is
later revealed to be St. George. In the poem, St. George kills a dragon after an epic battle.
This artwork illustrates this battle, one of the last major fights between a hero and a dragon in
English literature before the works of J. R. R. Tolkien.

rVukMPb.jpg

The Lambton Worm. By the medieval period, most European dragons were depicted as
having four limbs; however, in most English folktales, dragons continued to appear as giant
serpents.

SWUg9sd.jpg

Dobrynya Nikitich and Zmey Gorynych. In most Russian tales, and indeed most Slavic
folklore, dragons are multi-headed creatures. While Eastern Europe contains a wealth of
dragonslayer stories, they are only slowly being made available in English.

J5kMrwr.jpg

Kharille said:
Dinosaurs?  Somehow I get that impression they originate in the middle east and the far east.  Best check wiki.
spinosaurus.gif

giant-predators-art-txt-new.png

spinosaurus-serenob.jpg

Human-spinosaurus_size_comparison.png~original

aqua-spinosaurus-skel.jpg

spinosaurus_aegyptiacus.jpg

12dino-1-master1050.jpg

12dino-1-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

002_spinosaurus_ngm_102014__superjaws_111%2Bto%2B114.jpg

Spinosaurus.jpg

:grin: I guess we can easily classify dragon origins into the following, basic categories...

Ancient lore: based on misinterpretation of reptilian fossils as dragon bones

pterprime.jpg
Old-Iguanodon.jpg

58066-4277-cw5df-a.jpg

dragon_bones2.jpg

800px-Gorgosaurus_skeleton_AMNH_5428.jpg

Hongkong+2014+Glow+in+Dark+effect+-+dinosaur+2.jpg

DXt8bzb.jpg

Traveler tales: exaggerated accounts of large herptiles,
crocodiles, snakes, lizards and salamanders from distant lands

Douris_cup_Jason_Vatican_crop.jpg

japanischer-riesensalamander.JPG

691px-Hanagami_Danjo_no_jo_Arakage_fighting_a_giant_salamander.jpg

719px-Sidney_Hall_-_Urania%27s_Mirror_-_Draco_and_Ursa_Minor.jpg

Praeneste_-_Nile_Mosaic_-_Section_1a_-_Detail.jpg

20090220143729_reticulated_python_wiki.jpg

847px-St._George_and_the_Dragon_-_Briton_Riviere.jpg

1012px-Crocodile_in_Kachikali_kevinzim.jpg

100885070.jpg

Crocodilia_collage.jpg

1024px-Komodo_dragon_at_Mini_Hollywood.jpg

Chimerical imagination: creativity and artistic talent,
or just simple cut & past artwork or even rogue taxidermy!

Scagryn0013.jpg

Jersey_Devil_Philadelphia_Post_1909.jpg

FFA1CF19DF.jpg

57109681768c58d673bf8b8cd311fd23.jpg

Monster-Python-Mercurius-as-three-headed-dragon..jpg

015.jpg

01%20Lost%20World%20Spainish%20Poster%2001%202-24-13.jpg
cthulhu.jpg

1280px-Sirrush.jpg

Iconic & Religious Symbology: dragons symbolized danger, devils & daemons,
knightly quests, obstacles and much more...

560px-Plastic_legend_crop.jpg

651px-BambergApocalypseFolio033vHornedBeast.JPG

673px-Britain_Needs_You_at_Once_-_WWI_recruitment_poster_-_Parliamentary_Recruiting_Committee_Poster_No._108.jpg

Michael_Pacher_004.jpg

Bodleian-Douce-366-f128r2.jpg

Day_of_Saint_George.jpg

Book_of_Revelation_Chapter_12-1_%28Bible_Illustrations_by_Sweet_Media%29.jpg

jehovahs-witness-revelation-dragon.jpg

img205.jpg

4nZzrbD.jpg

Off topic but: was the any ancient people who actually woshiped Cthulu of is it all made up?

mcwiggum said:
PinCushion said:
Off topic but: was the any ancient people who actually woshiped Cthulu of is it all made up?
Cuthulu is a creation of H.G. Wells I beleive.

EDIT: After googling it appears to be HP lovecraft.

I knew it. allthough he might be based on one or several historical dieties.

matmohair1 said:
mcwiggum said:
I feel this is turning into a more mythology thread.
Nice pics btw.  :smile:
:mrgreen: ok, back to reality then... :arrow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_%28genus%29

TprjE7K.jpg

6KTmq0i.jpg

28772_draco-lizard_mawkrnnofdejaaqpr4bxrhk5ihncurxrbvj6lwuht2ya6mzmafma_950x712.jpg

1021px-Draco_taeniopterus_flying_and_Draco_volans_skeleton.jpg

Draco_spilonotus.JPG

flying-dragon.jpg

And let's not forget the Comodo dragon, far cry 3 anyone?

Now I wonder, there must be a lot of non humanoid creatures created for warband.  I think they have elephants and some big creatures in light and darkness and perisno right?

Back
Top Bottom