Author Topic: New movie trailers  (Read 84903 times)

Antonis

• Marquis
  • Who's your daddy?
    • Steam - robespieros92
    • YouTube - Wilbur Whateley
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • WBWF&SVCNW
Re: New movie trailers
« Reply #735 on: November 07, 2019, 03:29:39 PM »
Well, according to Herodotus(who isn't exactly a trustworthy source), pretty much everyone was Greek, descended from Greeks or sort-of Greek(the Ionians were Greek colonizers, at the beach of Minor Asia and he mentions that the Etruscans might be from there for one reason or the other). Nothing new here. Still, we are talking with modern tags about history of 3000 years ago. Medians and Persians were not 'Iranians', Romans were not 'Italians', Palmyrans were not 'Syrians' and such. There was no 'Euro-nationalism', because there was no unified 'Europe'. Those were just mythical being names and place names, if anything. Greeks couldn't care less for Gauls or Germanic people, those few that were aware of their existence, that is.

Herodotus was, indeed, very interested in pointing out how much better and superior were Greeks(especially Athenians, because they were his 'sponsors', despite himself being from Halicarnassus). But don't go talking to, say, a Lacedaimonian or Boeotian of the 5th century BC about a common Greek origin and common Greek national goals, if you value your life. Their nation was their city, and that was not so only in Greece. There was no concept of nation as it exists today.

Plus, I won't really trust a site named 'Turkic World' as a source for ethnic and national roots.  :P

ancalimon

• A theist
  • Baron
    • Steam - /ancalimonungol/
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWBNWWF&S
« Reply #736 on: November 08, 2019, 01:15:20 AM »
Well, according to Herodotus(who isn't exactly a trustworthy source), pretty much everyone was Greek, descended from Greeks or sort-of Greek(the Ionians were Greek colonizers, at the beach of Minor Asia and he mentions that the Etruscans might be from there for one reason or the other). Nothing new here. Still, we are talking with modern tags about history of 3000 years ago. Medians and Persians were not 'Iranians', Romans were not 'Italians', Palmyrans were not 'Syrians' and such. There was no 'Euro-nationalism', because there was no unified 'Europe'. Those were just mythical being names and place names, if anything. Greeks couldn't care less for Gauls or Germanic people, those few that were aware of their existence, that is.

Herodotus was, indeed, very interested in pointing out how much better and superior were Greeks(especially Athenians, because they were his 'sponsors', despite himself being from Halicarnassus). But don't go talking to, say, a Lacedaimonian or Boeotian of the 5th century BC about a common Greek origin and common Greek national goals, if you value your life. Their nation was their city, and that was not so only in Greece. There was no concept of nation as it exists today.

Plus, I won't really trust a site named 'Turkic World' as a source for ethnic and national roots.  :razz:

It talks about how Scythians were identified as Indo-European speaking. It is based on a few words that can theoretically be traced back to PIE. But they can also be traced back to Proto-Turkic using the same way.

The Iranian/Ossetian Scythian theory has all the traits of a politically correct theory. It is built on a thinnest foundation of an obscure language, and is not supported by the evidence and foresight connected with what is usually called a scientific theory. The cultural heritage, traceable for millennia among other peoples of the world, has not been shown to display links between the Ossetian, Pashtu, or other Iranian speaking peoples, and the details of the Scythian life described by the ancient writers. No traces, specific to the Scythian nomadism of the historical period, found their parallels in the historically documented Indo-European societies. It is well shown in the work of a prominent export on nomadism A. Khazanov

Bromden

• Archduke
  • Got shroom.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #737 on: November 08, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
Aaand here you go. I **** new that you didn't actually get better along the years.
Brombem, i see you are stubborn like a goat!!!
Answer the questions bromen.

ancalimon

• A theist
  • Baron
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNWWF&S
« Reply #738 on: November 08, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »
Aaand here you go. I **** new that you didn't actually get better along the years.

and you still fail to see my point of view. The same evidence can point to Turkic speaking origin. Apart from that there is much more evidence linking them to Turks if we take continuity into account. There is no single Indo-Iranian speaking person on Earth that has any cultural similarity to Scythians. But many Turkic speaking nations that have clothing, food, art, theater, etc very similar to Scyhtians.

Moose!

• poorly-drawn
  • Duke
  • I'm an alligator.
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Enthusiastic_Moose
« Reply #739 on: November 08, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »
That's because the Turks are descended from Proto-Scythians.
Come check out my new BoP!

Antonis

• Marquis
  • Who's your daddy?
    • Steam - robespieros92
    • View Profile
  • WBWF&SVCNW
« Reply #740 on: November 08, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
Yes, but you didn't explain where the Proto-Scythians come from.

Moose!

• poorly-drawn
  • Duke
  • I'm an alligator.
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Enthusiastic_Moose
« Reply #741 on: November 08, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
Space, obviously.  :roll:
Come check out my new BoP!

Antonis

• Marquis
  • Who's your daddy?
    • Steam - robespieros92
    • View Profile
  • WBWF&SVCNW
« Reply #742 on: November 08, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
Ah, yes, I forgot the origins of our great Space-turk ancestors. Please, forgive me.

ancalimon

• A theist
  • Baron
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNWWF&S
« Reply #743 on: November 09, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:28:03 PM by ancalimon »

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

• Dancing to electro-pop like a robot since 1984
  • Archduke
  • Moonstruck Fool
    • Steam - amontadillo
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNWWF&SVC
« Reply #744 on: November 09, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
that's very nice, sweety, you can go back to huffing paint now.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

ancalimon

• A theist
  • Baron
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNWWF&S
« Reply #745 on: November 09, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
Clam thyself. I was just messing around. Herodotus believed that Scythians spoke the scythian language(σκυθιστὶ - in the Scythian manner). In book 4, I think. In those days, there was very little realization of nation and nationalistic concepts as we know them today.

3A tribe of wandering Scythians separated itself from the rest, and escaped into Median territory. This was then ruled by Cyaxares, son of Phraortes, son of Deioces. Cyaxares at first treated the Scythians kindly, as suppliants for his mercy; and, as he had a high regard for them, he entrusted boys to their tutelage to be taught their language and the skill of archery.
http://perseus.uchicago.edu/perseus-cgi/citequery3.pl?dbname=GreekTexts&getid=1&query=Hdt.%201.74.2

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature02029?message=remove&lang=en
Languages, like genes, provide vital clues about human history1,2. The origin of the Indo-European language family is “the most intensively studied, yet still most recalcitrant, problem of historical linguistics”3. Numerous genetic studies of Indo-European origins have also produced inconclusive results4,5,6.

Phylogenetic tree of Indo-Iranian languages shows that all those dialects were united at that time.

"The Turks living east of Tanais formerly called massagetae" "Theophanes byzantinus, frag. Hist. IV. page: 270"

It does not make sense that Cyaxares asks Scythians to teach their language to Medes because according to above information and currently accepted hypothesis, Medes should be speaking the same language as Scythians.

Nope I am not convinced. The only relation between Scythians and Indo-Iranians is... well merely Homo-Sapienic as far as we can see. And they both had access to gold. Not to forget that many of their descendants played Prince of Persia at once point in their life.  Indo European speakers even in Iran are a minority. They are a small established nation with high culture. The Scythians were  part of a huge confederation consisting of even Germanic and Slavic people which was part of second Turk Khaganate.

that's very nice, sweety, you can go back to huffing paint now.

? I knew you were a believer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 02:31:07 AM by ancalimon »

Adorno

• Bedroom Assassin
  • External Developer
  • I am not an animal!
    • YouTube - Adorno1
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Adorno
  • WBNWM&BVC
« Reply #746 on: November 23, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »
Might be a run-of-the-mill action thriller. But could also be an entertaining flick.
The director is a skilled cinematographer.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:21:08 AM by Adorno »

Arvenski

• Count
  • A fool who dreams too much
    • Steam - arvondor
    • YouTube - UCvUcSygxUX37c6fekGtqLEA
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • M&BWB
« Reply #747 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:30 PM »

Bond is back. Hopefully it'll be better than Spectre, though who knows. I'll be glad to see Léa Seydoux in another Bond movie, though.
Cold, the air and water flowing
Hard, the land we call our home
Push to keep the dark from coming
Feel the weight of what we owe
  This, the song of sons and daughters
  Hide the heart of who we are
  Making peace to build a future
  Strong united, working 'til we fall
  And we all lift
  And we're all adrift together, together
  Through the coldness
  'Til we're lifeless together, together