**2 web sites 2** Obscure and Rare Handguns on Civil War

Users who are viewing this thread

Nocturno

Squire
In case you missed these,

1)  Obscure and Rare Handguns by Kerry Barlow.
A list with nice pictures in it, and sometimes an info
about production, caliber, faction...

----> http://civilwarhandgun.com/obscure.htm

Here's the weaps listed:

Adams & Deane
Ansley or Rigdon and Ansley
Bacon pocket revolver .31 cal Excelsior
Belgium copy of the Webly patent of 1860
Beaumont Adams
British made revolver
Clark Sherrard and Co.
T.W.Cofer revolver second model .36 caliber
Columbus Firearms Company Revolver
Dance & Park Brothers Revolver
Freeman .44 caliber
French PinFire
J & F Garret
Griswold and Gunnison
Harpers Ferry Horse pistol
Kerr .44 caliber Revolver
Leech and Rigdon
Manhatten pocket model revolver
Marsten
Massachussetts Arms Company Adams Patent Navy revolver
Palmeto model 1842
C.S.Pettengil Army .44 caliber hammerless
Plant 3rd model
Rogers and Spencer
Root
Savage
Schneider and Glassick
Spiller and Burr
Starr
Tranter Double action revolver
Tucker & Sherrard
William P Uhlinger revolver .32 caliber made 1861-1865 in Philadelphia PA.
Virgina Manufactory first model alteration / flintlock 2nd model
Warner pocket pistol
Webley Double Action
Wesson and Leavitt Dragoon .40 caliber 800 produced army revolver
Whitney percussion revolver .36 caliber originally made in 1861.

Here's some pictures from there, just for the lazy bastards  :razz:

Bacon
bacon.jpg

Freeman
freeman1.jpg

Marsten
marsten.jpg

C.S Pettengil
pettengill.jpg

Root
root.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) A very interesting belgian site on "Revolvers used by Confederate troops during the Civil War"

Check it out.

----> http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20americaine/revolver%20confedere/a%20a%20revolver%20confedere%20gb.htm

revolver%20confedere%20ex%20rev%20perc%20contemporains%20guerre%20secession-01.jpg

Enjoy  :mrgreen:

Yeah, a juicy item indeed, and i can't avoid being myself:

I want the LeMat shoot the smoothbore too !! (maybe very short range 10 or 15 accuracy?)
:mrgreen:

Don't you worry, there is a modern replica of LeMat
you can buy it here ---> http://www.cabelas.com/p-0036661.shtml

p036661hz05.jpg

A bit more on LeMat smooth bore barrel shooting on the replica by Navy Arms:

From American Handgunner, July, 2002 by Mike Cumpston   

"Shotgun Barrel

The Navy Arms literature relates the smooth-bore barrel is designed to fire a patched .63-caliber ball over no more than 25 grs. of FFFG. I tried the Pyrodex equivalent charge with six rounds of 00 buck, the result being an anemic pop with the balls clattering weakly into the target board.

I cautiously raised the powder charge to 60 grs. equivalent and standardized my shot loading at 310 grs. of 00 buck. This approaches a 7/8-oz. load and provides for six 00 buck, 30 lead pellets of BB shot, 60 #2s and 300 #8s. I also loaded seven .31 balls, which weigh a bit more.

The shot barrel shoots well under the sights at any given range, and it is necessary to aim about a foot over the target at appropriate ranges. From 10 feet, all seven .31 balls would land within a 7' circle. At 21 feet, the spread was still tight at 9", and all of the projectiles would have impacted in the chest of a human silhouette. At 30 feet, the balls were still contained on the upper half of a 21"x26" rectangle, and it appeared that one of the balls might narrowly miss a human-sized target.

A charge of #8 shot from 30 feet produced an extremely dense central pattern that would completely saturate any species of small game. Back at 7 yards, I landed enough #2s on a rabbit target to render a real cottontail inedible."

You have no excuse now  :mrgreen:

Yes they do; if these guns were 'obscure and rare' then there's not much chance at all of finding them, and if there's hardly any chance to find it; why add it? :razz:  Some bloody nice guns, though.

FrisianDude said:
Yes they do; if these guns were 'obscure and rare' then there's not much chance at all of finding them, and if there's hardly any chance to find it; why add it? :razz:

ammm what?  :razz:

anyway there was still the last, centerfire version of it, some awesome pics here:

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Lemat-25.htm

which came out in 12mm Perrin or 11 mm Chamelot-Delvigne, with a 24 gauge shot barrel

Lemat-25.jpg

Lemat-25-e.JPG

--------------------------------------------​

The rare Pin Fire version in 12 mm here:

http://www.horstheld.com/0-Lemat-123.htm

Lemat-123.JPG

Lemat-123-e.JPG

But these were way late for 1866 mod :razz:, interesting anyway

ommm, i guess you're right.
An maybe more than 899 to get it into Moldova, in many countries that would go up to,say,
double the price. (if not more)  :shock:

Some more weirdness  :razz:

"Just keep quiet and open the goddamn door, granny.... BBBOOOOMMM"
1308_1_lg.jpg

"Watcha gonna do, boy, I also have a knif... BBBOOOOMMM"
1333_1_lg.jpg

"Ohhh, ppleeezz, a swiss army knife... !  let me open the tuna can... BBBOOOOMMM"
123399_687599.jpg

The Man With No Name said:
Nice guns! Oh, and the 19th century was more stereotypically "steampunk" than I would have thought!  :mrgreen:

That is where the whole concept and idea behind steampunk came from, although were you to live in that time, these obsure handguns are REALLY not typical, you would not have ever seen an outlaw or lawman carrying most of these European branded revolvers, or really even the more exotic designs like pinfires, etc.

Colt, Remington, Springfield, and Sharps really were the guns that won the west, as well as accounting for, I'd say, probably 90% of firearms of the period, there's a reason those brands (with exception of Sharps, but even it is reproduced by many manufacturers), are still around today.

I understand your point but from

"Colt, Remington, Springfield, and Sharps really were the guns that won the west"

and

"you would not have ever seen an outlaw or lawman carrying most of these European branded revolvers,"

is a too wide a chasm to me.

Other weapons filled the gap as well.
Forgot Smith and Wesson, the No.3 and the Stevens shotguns

Here from Schwend Gun Collection

Sheriff G. Cooper Wright's .44 Revolver

Spanish Double Action, .44 Caliber Revolver

SG_Wright_Gun_web.jpg

[size=8pt]G. Cooper Wright, Sheriff of Clay County, Texas from 1889-1895, owned this gun for many years and used it in making countless arrests throughout north Texas.

Cook Outlaw Gang Revolver

Merwin & Hulbert, Single Action, Pocket Army Revolver,
.44-.40 Caliber

SG_MHGun_web.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model #3, Single Action, Second Issue Revolver, .44 Caliber S&W, Nimschke Engraved, Ivory Grips, Manufactured in 1873

SG_Doolin_SW.jpg

Bill Doolin's Derringer

National Arms Company (Later Colt) Model #2
Single Shot Derringer, .41 Caliber RF with rare 2" Barrel

Here is outlaw Bill Doolin's backup firepower.  Doolin carried this little pistol in his boot, just in case he needed an extra shot. The grips are replacements.

SG_Doolin_Derr.jpg

James/Younger Gang .44 Revolver

Smith & Wesson, Single Action, Model 3 Revolver, .44 Caliber

SG_James_Younger_Gan.jpg

Texas Ranger J. M. Britain's Smith & Wesson Revolver

Smith & Wesson Second Model 1871 Single Action Revolver, .38 Caliber, Spur Trigger, 5 Shot, Total Production 108,255

SG_Brittain_Gun_2_web.jpg

But, yes, most were colt winchs and rems, but
dont forget spencers!  :razz:

For those interested btw, there is this book here

"Pistols: an illustrated history of their impact"
by  Jeff Kinard

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=ZVnuHX_6bG0C

With an impressive history on each handgun's brand, model, imports and production numbers, covering civil war, after and before.

Back
Top Bottom