• Yes

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Kinda

Votes: 14 18.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Are the 2 handed weapons faster than 1 handed weapons?  Plain and simply... No.  What I know about math is that the further an arc is away from a pivot point, the faster the arc speed will become.  The pivot point being your hands, and the arc point being the tip of a weapon.  Thus stating that, 2 handed weapons only looks fast because it has a lengthy extension from the pivot point.

The reason people think that it is faster than 1 handed weapons is because usually people with 1 handed weapons have a shield as well, the problem is that if you block an attack, you have to go through 1 animation before you can even start an attack.  The first animation is the one where the shield drops, and by that time is up the other person has just started to chamber a second attack.  Then you have to chamber your attack and BOOM! Dead because it takes too long to ready a weapon after lowering a shield, not the speed of the 2 handed weapon.

Another reason that people think they are faster is the good ole' back pedaling and turning into your swings, it is much more effective with a lengthy weapon.

Thanks for the exposure of such a impertinent issue.

( Weapon speeds by number are best tested riding, with a standing horse and measuring the swing. Being afoot it's more fast because of the mouse turn movement. )

No, jesse, the reason people think they're faster is because you can exploit the length by turning/spinning, and in effect make it land much quicker than a regular forward-aimed one-handed sword strike.

okiN said:
No, jesse, the reason people think they're faster is that by spinning, you can exploit the length by turning/spinning, and in effect make it land much faster than a regular forward-aimed sword strike.
Yea, however this option is still available to the sword and board.
EDIT:  That is the second reason that people think it is faster.

okiN said:
No, jesse, the reason people think they're faster is that, you can exploit the length by turning/spinning, and in effect make it land much faster than a regular forward-aimed sword strike.
Thus making the longer weapons faster in the game which means 1handed weapon users are not totally delirious.

okiN said:
Kleidophoros said:
Thus making the longer weapons faster in the game which means 1handed weapon users are not totally delirious.

Exactly so.
Thank you good sire for you have saved my sanity.

okiN said:
By adding proper sweet spots to the swing arc, which is something I've been screaming for at every possible juncture.
Please God let the devs have the enlightenment to add this to the game. amen.

Rolfcopter!

Kleidophoros said:
okiN said:
Kleidophoros said:

Exactly so.
Thank you good sire for you have saved my sanity.

okiN said:
By adding proper sweet spots to the swing arc, which is something I've been screaming for at every possible juncture.
Please God let the devs have the enlightenment to add this to the game. amen.

Rolfcopter!
Agreed.

Sure, but with sweet spots, they wouldn't do full damage if they spun. On the other hand, right now a great long axe that literally starts its swing right next to the enemy's face, with a backswing of about 4cm, will do 2/3 damage out of full hp if neither of the two is moving. If both were moving, then speed bonus might actually make it a one-hit kill.

Don't know if its pertinent here, but I've been noticing in my duels a big difference between two-handed, bastard, and the plain ol "sword" as I play. Without a doubt the 'sword' that is 1h and shorter, but much faster, can inside cut even a bastard sword with a readied swing if your position and timing are right.

In general you have to turn take in a fight, but every once in a while, due to position, stun, or psychology, you can land 2 in a row. Generally when a new player hates the speed of a 2h weapon they have mistaken the fact that it is longer, and they will have to block 2 or 3 times to get in close. Long weapons in the hand of someone good who is trying to stay away can make you feel helpless when you have a shorter weapon trying to close.

But at the end of the day (not sure with a shield) if someone has readied a 2h weapon or even a bastard sword, a fast weapon, from nuetral to a good position that'll hit on the front end of the swing, will be able to beat that person's swing. But if the other person is using a fast 1 hander, you can't really beat them unless they just react slow.

I think weapon speeds are fine, and I honestly can't think of a 2h weapon that beats a 1h weapon without a shield. If you ARE using a shield...people have to realize they won't be able to swing the weapon as fast as it could be going.

Back
Top Bottom