Zip programs, or other other sofware that can write an .exe file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello!

I am currently having an issue with modifying an installer.
I need to implement a file into it, after the actual .exe has been created. (The compiler has a bug where it skips a necessary file because of the filetype)

It works somewhat like a zip, and 7zip is capable of opening it, it is however not capable of to write, I.E modifying or creating a new .exe.
Winrar doesn't seem to care for it at all.

Does anyone know a program that might be able to write in an exising installer?

Graylord said:
Hi. :3
Graylord said:
I am currently having an issue with modifying an installer.
I need to implement a file into it, after the actual .exe has been created. (The compiler has a bug where it skips a necessary file because of the filetype)

It works somewhat like a zip, and 7zip is capable of opening it, it is however not capable of to write, I.E modifying or creating a new .exe.
Winrar doesn't seem to care for it at all.

Does anyone know a program that might be able to write in an exising installer?
jZip, what I use, seems to be able to do it. At least, it opened the Hunt mod .exe for me.

Edit: Ah, it'll open, but I can't add a text file into it. :sad:

I was actually thinking of  suitable conversion for the file, but that's obviously not doable with a .dll.

So does the installer skip all .dll's?

No, only in the particular folder it needs to be in.
There's a text file that defines what files to include and exclude in the installer, but there's nothing there that tells it to skip anything in that folder, so I suspect it's hardcoded.

If you're using an NSIS installer, I believe it's possible to program it to move items around during the install, and even take them from other folders. So have your dll file packed in a folder where it'll be included, then after that file is extracted, have it move it over to your final destination folder.

It's a custom installer, I'm afraid.

Edit: To clarify, I am not looking to modify how the .exe is created, but modifying an existing one.

Back
Top Bottom