Youtube gamers and livestreamers: discussion, recommendations, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

You probably all know what I'm talking about. People like Total Biscuit, The Mighty Jingles, and Sidestrafe. They post gameplay videos and reviews on Youtube, and/or run gaming livestreams on Twitch. I thought we could use a thread to discuss these people and their work, recommend and provide links to good channels some of us might know about, etc. From what I've seen, there are a lot of people who do (or try to do) this sort of thing, but only a handful of them are both good and well known, so this thread could come in handy if someone is looking for good content and doesn't want to have sift through a lot of bull**** on Youtube or Twitch in order to find it.

I might add some more to the OP later, but I want to see how well received the thread is first.

My current favourite is Shenryyr2, since he plays EU IV all the time, and he's really good at it, his joke is mildly entertaining at best, but it lighten up the mood of watching a strategy-focus such as EU IV.
The second is Surrealbeliefs, he spent alot of times researching and talking about history on Rome 2 LP (which I liked) but R2TW is so boring, things might change on the release of EB II or later patches/mods on R2.
Quill18 sometimes do previews of unreleashed games, which is pretty cool, plus he wore horned helm + chain mail to do a LP on CK2 release! He is not very good at playing the game though

Some shactac members are pretty good. Dslyexci posts interesting stuff that I like to watch, most of them pretty long clips of ArmA sessions of the group. ChKilroy and Beaglerush also post ArmA videos, but they tend to be shorter and concentrating more on the funny. Beagle also did the Xcom: Ironman Impossible which is my favourite gaming related youtube thing ever. He quit halfway into the second series of it, which is a shame, but understandable I guess, knowing the amount of filming, scripting and editing those ~10minute videos require.

My favourite youtube video game reviewer has to be LGR aka Lazy Game Reviews. Recently he seems to be concentrating a lot on old curiosities, but I don't mind. He has a very nice voice and handles reviews very well. Random example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MW5SxKMrtE

Scott Manley does Kerbal Space Program, EVE and other kinds of space related stuff, and is some manner of knowledgeable astronomer himself. Also Scottish. Very entertaining.

EpicNameBro did lots of Demon Souls and Dark Souls, now does all manner of weaboo games. Has slowed down a lot since the birth of his child. (Understandably. :razz:)

And I ****ing never will understand why anyone would watch TheMightyJingles anymore. He's an arrogant prick; tries to lecture others and calls people noobs when he absolutely ****ing sucks at everything he plays himself. He also tries much too hard to be like QuickyBaby (who is actually amazing at World of Tanks, and far more enjoyable to watch). Mind you, I used to like Jingles, but I've de-subbed, he's not enjoyable to watch at all anymore.

Surrealbeliefs did a lot of TLD LPs, so props for that, but I've never much cared for his gameplay style.
Togeoff is pretty good, I watched all of his Witcher 1 and 2 LPs.
Also Dodger from PressHeart2Continue, she's on Polaris too, does a podcast with TotalBiscuit and others. (her Dead Space LP with Jesse Cox is meh, but her Sherlock Holmes games are quite entertaining)

Also, DidYouKnowGaming? is a glorious project.

There's a guy called Cryaotic who gets a ton of views on his videos. His voice and style are humorous in themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaoticMonki

I don't really have any favorites etc but I can see why this guy is quite popular.

To be honest, I have a really hard time seeing why people enjoy this sort of content. It's a shame because it's done a lot of good for a lot of great games. Ours being no exceptions.

What I can completely understand is why people make the content. I have a great time playing games and joking with my friends and I can totally see the appeal of broadcasting that.

There are games which I wouldn't ever play, but watching someone else play them and be funny is enjoyable.

Like Spoony for instance. Whenever he's not off his meds and when he doesn't record endless rants about pointless ****, his reviews and let's plays are usually fun.

Samurai Zombie Nation is my all time favourite:

And of course, his LP of Phantasmagoria 2 is pretty legendary. Seriously, that thing has like 5 hours and I've watched it several times.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/phantasmagoria/

Speaking of the ex/TGWTG crowd, I watch Angry Joes's reviews. If you look past the silly costumes and angry ranty schtick, he makes a lot of sense and uses a pretty good rating scale, unlike most gaming magazines.

edit: also, shoutout to the Last Level Press guys. Unknown channel, very few views, but they spent an hour reviewing The Last Days quite professionally. Awesome. :wink:

edit2: When I'm feeling down, I watch ASDFs and their LPs. Retarded? Yes, very. Hysterical though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g1xPf-HxBo

Captain Lust said:
To be honest, I have a really hard time seeing why people enjoy this sort of content. It's a shame because it's done a lot of good for a lot of great games. Ours being no exceptions.

What I can completely understand is why people make the content. I have a great time playing games and joking with my friends and I can totally see the appeal of broadcasting that.

I usually watch LPs of games I have no intention of touching. Like some old game with a good plot or such that I'm kinda interested in, but won't because I know the ancient and cumbersome game mechanics would drive me away.

rejenorst said:
There's a guy called Cryaotic who gets a ton of views on his videos. His voice and style are humorous in themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaoticMonki

I don't really have any favorites etc but I can see why this guy is quite popular.
I've watched his Dreamfall:TLJ videos since I didn't feel like playing that game again but wanted to re-live it. I also watch the VTM:B videos when I feel like it. I know that game inside and out and seeing him experience it is interesting. Cool fella.

Other than Cryaotic, I watch theRadBrad for his console exclusive content. I have no wish to play those games as I neither own nor want to own a console but I want to see what some of the games are like. Heavy Rain and the recent Beyond: Two Souls piqued my interest. And by watching, I also don't have to deal with the stupid QTE's.

Mr.Milker said:
Also Dodger from PressHeart2Continue, she's on Polaris too, does a podcast with TotalBiscuit and others. (her Dead Space LP with Jesse Cox is meh, but her Sherlock Holmes games are quite entertaining)
Since I finished the Testament of Sherlock Holmes, seeing her try to solve the puzzles and take so much time is excruciating. I just can't take it but I also want to see her reaction to the game.  :sad:

As Arvondor mentioned, Jingles' RPG Let's Plays and SideStrafe's tactical play on various games is also quite entertaining.

DOTA
Purge (Twitch and Youtube)
Sheever (Twitch)

League of Legends
SivHD (Twitch)
TSM Dyrus (Twich)

Random
Inquisitor Gunner (Twitch)
Criken (Twitch and Youtube)
Achievement Hunter (Youtube)
Jingles (Youtube)

itmeJP on Twitch and Youtube. Plays games, has talkshows and stuff, and plays in one DnD campaign, hosts another and plays in a WH40K: Dark Heresy campaign.

DjWheat on Twitch and some stuff is uploaded on Youtube. Plays games, has an Esports related talkshow or two, and participates in the aforementioned Rollplay: Dark Heresy campaign. Sometimes does amusing stuff like playing the Pokemon TCG with his son on stream. The stream quality is always perfect, too, since he's Twitch staff.

Eh, the only youtubers I follow are TB and Jesse, that's pretty much all I have time for. Well, and Lindybeige, but that's not gaming related.

Captain Lust said:

Some people don't have friends, so they watch this stuff instead.

I generally watch:

SideStrafe: Great voice, just enough humor to lighten up his videos without making them stupid. Also doesn't spend time cursing or trying to be cool for the mic, which is a tremendous plus. Generally plays multiplayer games, like World of Tanks, War Thunder, and Mechwarrior Online, and occasionally plays other MP games as well. Also has a Twitch channel.

Jingles: Very good voice, keeps the humor and the derping around to an acceptable level, while still making it so you can have a good laugh when watching his videos. However, as Venerable Sheep said, he isn't at all afraid to pass judgement on the masses. Mainly plays World of Tanks and War Thunder.

Rurikhan: Okay voice, can be funny at times, but I can only take so much of him. I only rarely watch his videos. He curses like a sailor throughout out his videos, and does act like he's trying to be cool for the mic sometimes, although that could just be his personality. Generally plays Dark Souls, with a whole bunch of other titles he brings in for first impressions videos, follow-ups, and the occasional playthrough.

Baron von Gamez: Very good voice, can be funny, does act like he's trying to be cool for the mic sometimes though. He seems quite smart, and often talks about how, for example, different vehicles performed in WWII, while playing that vehicle in games like War Thunder or Men of War Assault Squad.

Total Biscuit: I don't think I need describe him. :wink: I follow his channel, but never seem to get around to watching his videos.

Also, if any of you people from the War Thunder thread are looking for WT content on Youtube, avoid Krebs and Entak. I dunno about anyone else, but I can't seem to stand Krebs for more than 5 minutes or so. As for Entak, well, his voice is terrible compared to the people listed above, he spends whole videos trying to be cool and generally sounding retarded, and his videos themselves can really suck a **** at times, too.

Back
Top Bottom