Your personal Viking Conquest rating (X out of 10)

Users who are viewing this thread

2/10

- Still has the occasional crash even after the hotfix
- Campaign map is laggy and so are battles
- Game gets stuck when starting up a new game (The menu with the options to choose realism, autosave, armor pentalty etc.)
- Odin's Cave = Cancer (I've played all from scratch 3 times to try and finish that f-ing quest - still stuck in the conversation with Bodo without the option to just leave and continue playing)
- Music seems weird as both Native and VC music are being played.
- Horses are missing textures (In inventory)
- Seems to be missing a lot of armors and weapons
- I fell through the boat on several occasions when learning how to use it after meeting Brunhilde

I would have rated it 5/10 even in it's current state 'cause I think it CAN become great. But the developers saying that they didnt experience any of these bugs during the "supposed testing" is horse****. Either that or everyone they had testing was too fanboy to give proper reports about the game.

I feel cheated and Im in my every damn right to feel so. I appreciate the developers/mods responding to the reports but I can't ****ing stand getting told just to "chill, it will get fixed... eventually" by some bellend blinded by his own fanboyism.

0/10 is too harsh and 10/10 is just ****ing stupid.

7/10 for the single player campaign. 9/10 once all the annoying bugs are fixed.

+ great story/quest full of hard decision
+ great atmosphere/immersion
+ historical accurate
+ beautiful UI

- some balance issues in SP
- very bad performance

And please stop comparing this DLC with a "mod". Mod are usually based on free stuff and private licenses (if at all) not allowed for commercial usage and of course on your own risk! Please keep in mind not every M&B player use mods and played Brytenwalda.

For a DLC the developers take the risk on their own and hope for some positive results.

Haithabas said:
And please stop comparing this DLC with a "mod". Mod are usually based on free stuff and private licenses (if at all) not allowed for commercial usage and of course on your own risk! Please keep in mind not every M&B player use mods and played Brytenwalda.

For a DLC the developers take the risk on their own and hope for some positive results.
What exactly is your point then?

TheGG said:
Haithabas said:

What exactly is your point then?
They certainly didn't get what they hoped for then.

I don't exactly regret the purchase but I can't recommend it to my friends either.

I spoke to many friends of that DLC and happily nobody have bought it :neutral:

4,5/10

Design: 6 cultures 20 faction: look all the same.
Variety of armors is poor and too much things missing, leather armors, leather scales armors, 2h axe, leather helmets, no viking helmet with mail covering the face.
Hulk syndrome.
Not much differences between buildings as for the factions, a viking town looks like a british town. Monks and monasteries just look ugly.
Features: so much features that are in all mods now are not here, no diplomacy panel.
Battle: should be the best part of the DLC as Brytenwalda as one of the best tactical battle system but it is totally buggy and AI sucks, soldiers runing too fast, no shieldbash.
Too much non senses viking fight slavers, viking lords doesn't raid british islands, etc...

good points: storyline
The naval fights are awesome, and boats very nice.
The design sucks but the graphical improvement is here.

4/10

Sadly I had great hopes for this DLC, however after some 5 hours of single player and 5 of multi I have got to say this is worse than many many mods I have played so far. I'am giving up on single player for good now, will stick around multiplier just for clan fun.

I am willing to forgive the crappy textures and overall worse graphics if it allows for bigger battles, and this seems to be the case for me, on vanilla I can get up to 150 in VC I run 400 with decent fps, so thats a huge +, like 3,5 points out of 4 that I gave comes from that fact. What else is good..... ummm period is cool, naval battles or at least the concept of owning ships and fighting in them. And I think this is all, sadly......

So, The renown system.... just how stupid is this? it creates a hilarious loop, u cant have more than 40+ soldiers cose u dont have renown, u cant get more renown because u don't fight big battles, u cant fight big battles because u have little troops....... idiotic. So I find my self stuck with 40 spearmans or whatever (everything looks and feels the same) hunting thieves down and sneak looting villages... so exciting.  Lords don't go into war, in my game only in Britain lords wage some wars but always alone, never assemble other lords to create 500+ parties, overseas nations seem not to be able to go on ships and ride coasts, not even once I seen Frisian lords go anywhere even though they have wars and even gathered parties a few times, to run around the beach I guess..
This alone kills the single player experience for me, nothing happens, no epic wars no epic battles, no diplomacy no strategy, nothing. Just random lords fighting here and there somewhere in Britain. For me the experience looks like  this so far: struggle to get soldiers ( game is stupidly difficult at the begging because u are almost unable to recruit anyone), fight some thieves, get 40 ppl in party, fight some more thieves, explore Wessex, loot villages, fight some thieves again, repeat.
Can't challenge any other lords in battle cose I cant get pass this stupid renown party limit (maxing out lvl gives u jack ****) and my Frisian ally sit in frisia cose they apparently cant sail. At that point I was like, **** it, cant get renown, cant increase party, my lords do nothing, cant get into huge battles, war between nations dont excite me cose they mean nothing, map is dead, nothing changes.
And the items..... comon wtf, few linen shirts some axes few swords and some javelins and spears?? almost same for every nation?? I get the idea I think they are going for, that to have a chainmail was something, but comon guys, that doesnt mean everything must be same ****ty linen shirt, even though these were dark ages there was still a diversity in armor and weapon....
Chainmails weren't all the same, some where decorated some where longer, some were shorter.. and what about lamellar armor?? there is at least 4 types archaeologically proven, leather armor?? there should be tons of it, ring armor?
Regarding weapons, 2h axes, there were tens of different spear heads of different length, u could add some ceremony weaponry that looked wicked ( I know it wasnt used for fighting, but it would add nice visual diversity), decorated axes and swords weren't that rare too, I mean, use ur sources and imagination..... it just seems that either devs were lazy or rushed.
And the AI is crap, it either just stands there or charges, and thats it. My guys on the other hand.... they just don't listen, I say hold, they charge, tactical map just doenst work and no one in my party seems to know how the shield wall looks not to mention how to create one.

Summarizing, if I was to put all above in one sentence: I can think out off the top of my head at least 10 mods that I didn't pay for, and were way better than this DLC.

EDIT: I read that people point out story mode as a big plus, and frankly that makes me feel even more disappointed, I say, stay with what u know best TaleWorlds, that is sandbox. If I wanted to play something with a story I would play Dragon age or the Witcher. I feel like they focused on story mode to much and sandbox lost cose of that a great deal. For me, Sandbox mode is the essence of M&B, it is what makes this game so good for me and the reason I picked it up years ago, it saddens me when I hear they commit resources and time into some story modes and neglect its true form which is sandbox. I wish there was no story mode and one good sandbox.

first i gave it a 2/10 on release and now after playing for a bit and after the first patch i'd say its a solid 5/10

still too many many bugs biggest problem

ugly clothes

and not enough variety in enemies/different factions

i know and can appreciate the historically accurate part, and i'm no expert in 800 AD viking life, but i'm willing to bet money they had more than one kind of spear, two kinds of swords and two or three kinds of body armor  :roll:

2/10

the amount of bugs, there is no way in hell that all of that got by the QA (is there even one?) and dev team

I honestly do not mind crappy textures and all but these are just plain bad... and what the hell is with the hulk like bodies of everyone but tiny heads? seriously kills immersion and the list can go on...

this imo is a downgrade from Brytenwalda but it has a few really amazing game mechanics that i'd kill for to have in Brytenwalda like for example the buying of, customizing of boats.

The story is a nice change of pace, sometimes I feel like there is just too much sandbox. I'd like to see the story fixed and expanded and or other stories that involve a series of questing.

Will adjust rating as the patches roll out....

Radix said:
4/10

EDIT: I read that people point out story mode as a big plus, and frankly that makes me feel even more disappointed, I say, stay with what u know best TaleWorlds, that is sandbox. If I wanted to play something with a story I would play Dragon age or the Witcher. I feel like they focused on story mode to much and sandbox lost cose of that a great deal. For me, Sandbox mode is the essence of M&B, it is what makes this game so good for me and the reason I picked it up years ago, it saddens me when I hear they commit resources and time into some story modes and neglect its true form which is sandbox. I wish there was no story mode and one good sandbox.

tale worlds didnt make it. it is basically a mod you pay for.

I'd say 2.5 out of 10 being realistic. It isn't a 0/10 because hey, you can pass the start screen :smile: at least they got that right. There are textures, so you can see stuff, and there are sounds. However that's pretty much all they got cuz it crashes after 1 or 2 fights. or leaving a town.

With bugs: 5/10. It was annoying to play but at least you could play by saving everytime.

Without bugs: 8/10. Story mode, visual enhancement, features (naval battles, maps, commerce, seasons, etc.) and the setting (what drew me to this DLC in the first place) make this a game I'll play for a long time.

In the current state I can give it 7.5/10 only because of some technical and logical problems with the game itself.
With a possible 10/10 if the devs could fix everything in a reasonable time frame.

BlazingPhoenix said:
weapons and armor being stupidly **** and not historically accurate at all. That is why I put it at 1/10.
I'm sorry? 90% of warriors in that period would have been wearing cloth, using simple spears and round shields. The lack of Dane axes is a disappointment to be sure, and swords seem overly prevalent, but from what I've seen most of the gear selection in MP is reasonably accurate. My biggest complaint about the gear selection is that there's no way to distinguish visually between friend and foe. Even something as simple as different colored shirts. The game has forced me to play with DX9 (crashes on startup if loaded with DX7), leaving everything incredibly low-res, and the banners over my allies almost invisible.

Personally, my game refuses to even begin the SP campaign, but MP seems in need of some real balancing and bugfixing.
4/10, would have been 6/10 if I didn't feel lied to by the devs.

+ boat system and combat is great
+ very interesting storyline with GoT-like treachery and non-predictable twists
+ Pendor-like stuff like settling disputes, this stuff is gold because it makes you feel like a real medieval lord
+ all the stuff added to sieges including many events etc
- alpha-stage release with broken storyline (at several points) and basic bugs like missing textures
- 80% of Boringblanda was removed because MUH REALISM, because realism = 1 armor set and 2 weapons in the whole game, zero replayability
- devs punish you for picking certain sides in the story; Reginald was a piece of **** for backstabbing me during the ******** Assembly of all things, he deserved to die, so stop shoving your extreme-left oversensitive PC ideologies down my throat thanks

4/10, nice boats, storytelling and immersion but the rest is worse than Boringblanda

8/10 as it stands now, likely higher when optimized. I don't play MP, so my experience comes entirely from SP.

+ Realism. While horned helmets and double-headed axes in fantasy games are good fun, it's refreshing to see an actual viking era game for once. The fact that you can do well even in only cloth pleases me greatly
+ The Story Mode. It's immersive, you have a stake in your future, you face choices that can vary radically with different characters (you can replay the game as a ruthless marauder if you opted for the nice guy on the first playthrough, or vice versa), and the characters you encounter have believeable personalities (most of them anyway). Snake-in-Eye is one mean and intimidating bastard. 
+ Beards. Finally!
+ Longships. I can roam the seas as trader and raider. And the satisfaction of starting with a snekkja, trade and raid my way to buying larger and better ships alone is worth the 11? Euroes i paid. I squeeled like a princess who got new shoes when I managed to buy an oaken Busse named Ormur Langi. I guess Mr. Tryggvason will have to find another ship, mnehehehe.
+ Trading & raiding. Great fun, even more so than in Brytenwalda. Trading from a Longship just has a better feel to it than peddling silver from Wales to Mercia.
+ Naval combat. Hands down the best naval combat since Corsairs Gold. There is nothing like besting a superiour force through clever manouvers and seamanship.

- There are still some bugs that needs to be squashed, AI that needs improvement and graphics to be optimized.
- Some more features could be included. For instance it would be awesome if enemy ships could be captured through naval combat (in damaged condition and not too frequently to avoid financial imbalances of course). Trading could also need some tweaking, and a greater variety in equipment appearence would add much to the experience. An expanded 'Pimp My Boat' feature would be neat too.

In all a great DLC despite a botched release. I hope work on it will continue, as it has the potential for a truly epic experience.

Back
Top Bottom