• Yes.

Votes: 254 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 289 42.6%
  • Wrong answer

Votes: 135 19.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

If you don't want a Skoda, because it's too common, then you're beginning to look for something more rare than sensible. At that point you might as well go for the cool factor, practicality be damned.

Like I did with my Cutlass.

I don't care about practicality, I just want it not to be as impractical as MX-5 because you really can't transport anything above a single backpack or a bag. I drove Alfa Romeo Mito for a while and as a benchmark, that is much more practicality than I need with this one. More rare than sensible is, quite frankly, the idea. Heck, I was even looking at old TransAms :lol: But they won't be the most reliable pieces of hardware out there.

Well, he has to get a Škoda or he'll lose his Czech citizenship.
I make for it by my beer consumption, my citizenship is safe.

Old cars being unreliable comes down to two factors.

a) They need continual maintenance, which is often underestimated, neglected, or done wrong. Most often people push parts beyond their intended service life.
b) Almost no old car has been properly maintained. So even if you manage to do everything to maintain your new old car, it'll have been compromised by lackluster maintenance, at some point in its life.

So, if you shell out the big bucks to completely restore that Trans Am back to factory new, you'll have a completely reliable car - if you observe the maintenance schedule rigorously. I, for example, have to grease the front control arms bushings, and steering ball joints, every four months. Not very many of people manage to service their car every four months...

I can add that I had a 2000 (with 200k on the odometer) Opel Zafira that burned oil, just fixed a burned valve on my 2011 Skoda Fabia because it burned oil (177k), and have driven (110k) in my ridiculous Cutlass with its poor 70s technology, without a mechanical engine failure. :lol: The big lazy carbureted, NA V8 just keeps going. I've had fatigued frame bolts snap, though, and a poorly made aftermarket lower control arm, electrics and body rust - but the heart won't quit.

This looking for a fitting car on the internet and doing research is such a bull****. Now I so much want the upcoming Toyota GR86 which, unsurprisingly, is a little over my intended budget and I would have to secure financing :grin:

But I mean, they fixed the GT86's engine and most of the little quirks!

Kill me, please :facepalm: :lol:

I drive a 2nd generation mini r56 and keep to 5k mile oil changes, and I make sure to check the oil frequently 2 years of ownership so far and a year and half with no problems.

I bought a new (to me) car recently. A 1993 Nissan 300zx, it's the naturally aspirated model and not the twin turbo which hurts the car guy part of my soul but is probably for the best since I plan on daily driving the thing, and I really don't want to deal with the lack of reliability that forced induction brings. It's not an insanely remarkable car (the thing they're most well known for is that Lamborghini bought a bunch of the same headlights to put into the Diablo), but I've always loved the old Datsun/Nissan Z cars, and the seats are comfy. I have a decent bit of work to do to it before it's ready to daily, but the drivetrain is totally solid so nothing too bad.
nsPRf.jpg
P2oXV.jpg

Oh, that is a cool car. I'm glad you went with that color, too. I think I've only seen a couple Subaru BRZ's or Toyota 86s up close. I'd love one if it didn't seem so impractical for me to own one.

Yup, manual. In an economic practical car, I would probably go for an automatic but in a lower powered sports car, there is no point in it. Funny thing is that pre-facelift Toyobarus are now very hard to come by in Czechia, but there is one in automatic available for quite some time and noone wants it :cry:

Oh, that is a cool car. I'm glad you went with that color, too. I think I've only seen a couple Subaru BRZ's or Toyota 86s up close. I'd love one if it didn't seem so impractical for me to own one.
Thanks! I wouldn't say it is that impractical, as long as you don't have a family. It can reasonably well accomodate 2 passengers, provided they are not both tall. My mum and girlfriend fit okay :grin:

Yup, manual. In an economic practical car, I would probably go for an automatic but in a lower powered sports car, there is no point in it. Funny thing is that pre-facelift Toyobarus are now very hard to come by in Czechia, but there is one in automatic available for quite some time and noone wants it :cry:

Could just have something to do with the general scarcity of used cars these days. Used car market has been wild around here. I could sell my Miata which has 75k miles on it for the same price I got it in 2012 with only 14k miles on it. And people are scooping them up at those high prices! It's crazy.

Did some driving in GR Yaris and man, that car ****s! The way it flies even over very uneven and broken roads is simply amazing, auto rev-matching is straight out cheating, the oputput of the 3 cylinder incredible and it stays glued to the road in curves. Oh, and pss pss turbo.

Also has the worst visibility I have ever experienced, driver's position is not that great and it still, unfortunately, looks like a Yaris.

Back
Top Bottom