Votes: 254 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 289 42.6%
  • Wrong answer

Votes: 135 19.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Doctor Dingleberry said:
Those look like hex wrenches. Hex is six-point. Your controller screw has five points, doesn't it?
They have three points. So far Canadian tires and Honda dealerships has no idea what is that

So my father in law and I have taken the head of the engine off, then I took the sump off and jiggled the crank shaft about and the engine turns now! We took off the pistons and I’m goving them a clean, the tops we’re totally carboned up, I used clutch and break cleaner to get rid of it.

I’ve covered the con rods in gunk engine degreaser and wd40 and hopefully it will loosen up some of the rust on it.
Here’s a few videos of the progress:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyjI4UizL1gxRcNoXnbqkrtnzv3KLTYPu

According to my FIL they’re not too bad. I think the main issue is that the car was stood for years, about 7 or more. From the sounds of it the previous owner bought it, started to take the dash appart and then bought another diesel Land Rover and a long Wheel based and kind of got swamped by the work.

The main problem I think was that the con rods were rusted solid. From lack of use. The engine turns fine once we jiggled the rust out in between them.
Well probably have to take the oil pump out and remove the crankshaft and get it glass bead blasted or something (according to the Land Rover group).

Would you suggest changin bearings and pistons though? Id much rather try cleaning it and then checking for tolerances than dish out for new parts ( they seem to cost a fortune online). But if they’re gonna pose a risk to the engine I’d rather save up for a bit longer and invest.

Depending on how much material they need to remove from the crank to refinish it you may need oversized bearings also. That being said its not exactly a performance engine so I suppose its not as critical as something that's developing 100hp/cylinder

Hahaha good to know, yeah it’ll mainly be used for leisurely driving down country lanes and occasionally on a field, nothing hardcore off-road.

I’m goig to try wire brushing it or dunking it in the gunk over night. If it doesn’t work I’ll start looking for replacements. The trouble is that if I go down that route, I know I’d get the engine rebored and everything. And if I do that I may as well dish out the cash for a new galvanised chassis.

So I either go full restoration or simply get it running again and h it’s life by a few years.

I’d rather save up money, sell this one as a project I’ve it’a running and then upgrade to a Series II instead. That car I’d be willing to pump money into, new chasis new bulkhead restore engine...the lot.

Doctor Dingleberry said:
Those look like hex wrenches. Hex is six-point. Your controller screw has five points, doesn't it?
It does have three points. I'm still looking for screw extractor, maybe advance auto parts have it or European auto.

Given that Dystopian is incapable of using the correct threads, I'll actually bump this with some content.

Yesterday I heard some weird squeaking and grinding from my 2006 Honda Civic's engine, and then about fifty feet later my engine died completely. Got towed to a service station ten minutes after they closed, so didn't find out what had happened until today. Turns out the belt tensioning assembly bolt sheared off, so that sagged and got torn up by the rotating pulley, and the bolt fell into the water pump and totally ****ed it. 500 dollar repair. Fun times.

Yeah, it could've been worse. The rest of the engine is fine, though. I got it serviced in January before driving up, but I'm kind of confused as to how the bolt walked out enough to get shorn off under regular driving. I don't know that they touched that bit last time it was in the shop, though.

I'm in the market for a Mercedes Benz W210 or W211 E-Class

Any known issues beyond rust?

Speaking of timing belts, EVO sounds like it has a loose tensioner. woo.
Skyline has also been out of action due to random electrical faut meaning no power to ecu after car sat for 2 weeks.
Good times...

Jeep ate its clutch on the way home to drive my cousin for his confirmation. Scrounged a used clutch from a buddy and worked 12 hours to get it running for him.

Now it's misfiring. Time to check the points and the plugs.

EDIT: Not mine
e0rQ3gr.png

Back
Top Bottom