• Yes.

Votes: 254 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 289 42.6%
  • Wrong answer

Votes: 135 19.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Do you guys have any good stories of automotive memories? I am quite young, (22) so I can't speak about ye olden days, even if I had a great deal of fun with my first car. (Opel Astra 1995 2.0, bought it for 6000 SEK/ approx 600€ in 2016, sold it summer 2019) Including believing that I blew the trans on a number of occasions, that feeling of shame and knowing you ****ed up. Despite its horrid trans, the engine was actually quite able at 140-150hp, especially when you send it on windy country roads of a huge empty plain.

I gave my first car to my brother, and I still own the car I bought after that. So any memories I have are still with vehicles that are in the family still. Other than that we've bought and sold several forgettable cars.

First vehicle I remember my dad driving. 1935 Ford Model A pickup.
dWxtO.jpg

Do tractors count? My dad's owned a few of his tractors since long before I was born. I drove one like this yesterday:
d8625050737af4a8beb505dc657eaf9b.jpg

Ours doesn't look quite that immaculate, but it's in good shape. It's got decent power, but the gear shift can be... uncooperative. I'm not sure if I just haven't gotten the knack of it yet, or if it's just the way it was made. We've got a 4620, too, which is very similar except it's got more power, and I found myself at a dead stop in the middle of the road last fall when it refused to go into gear when I tried to shift it. I was not amused.

Yeah, they count.

Most fun car I've driven was an Alfa 147 2.0 ts. My best friend's to be precise, I was so scared of breaking it knowing of alfa's poor reputation, but it was a great exciting ride.
Current: 2008 Volvo S80 2.0 Turbodiesel.

Volvo 740
Volvo S70 5-cylinder 2.5
Saab 9000
Saab 9-5
Alfa 147 2004
Mazda 6 1st gen 3.0 V6
Toyota CRV 2018
Peugeot 508 1.8 CRDI 2015
Opel Astra 2.0 1995
Volkswagen Passat Alltrack 2013?
Volkswagen Caddy
Volkswagen Beetle 2011-ish
Hyundai i40 2.0 CRDI

Might get a second car when I finish my studies, Audi 80/100 project?

Last edited:
Do tractors count? My dad's owned a few of his tractors since long before I was born. I drove one like this yesterday:
d8625050737af4a8beb505dc657eaf9b.jpg

Ours doesn't look quite that immaculate, but it's in good shape. It's got decent power, but the gear shift can be... uncooperative. I'm not sure if I just haven't gotten the knack of it yet, or if it's just the way it was made. We've got a 4620, too, which is very similar except it's got more power, and I found myself at a dead stop in the middle of the road last fall when it refused to go into gear when I tried to shift it. I was not amused.
I doesn't have synchronized gears.

Sorry Seff for editing my post, I was confused as to what you meant by the model A coupe when I was talking about a car that began production one year before I was born. :lol:

Ford sold the Cougar (original unedited post adressed wanting a cheap coupe as a second car, potential candidates were Ford Cougar, Volvo C70 and Hyundai Tiburon) under the Mercury nameplate in the us, because Ford.™ They sold very few despite being rather adequate in the corners and definitely beating their rivals in design. The Volvo C70 is allegedly just like driving an 850/V70 so definitely a no to that. Good luck to myself finding a Hyundai that hasn't been revved to death by some 18-year old. It's just like the Alfa 75

Sorry for double post.
Might get a second car when I finish my studies, Audi 80/100 project?
Just found an Audi 100 1.8E from 1987 making 89hp, estate in red colour with sunroof. Free of rust (Gotland is dry, it's like Houston for Americans) for 550 EUR. The only negatives seems to be a broken cabin heater and the clear coat on the front passenger door. Might be able to get the price down to 430-480. Not sure how far I am willing to push the engine for additional horsepower, I know close to nothing on how to fix a forced induction setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contemplating saving up for a car of my own, so I hereby revive the thread as I am looking for suggestions.

Basically, my main aim is to get a used car that is fun, practicality is only a second hand consideration. Intended also as a kind-of-a-daily, but I work and study in the same city I live in so I don't drive daily, since public transport is an option. Price up to 25k E. Basically, I seek a car to buy before I sort of settle down and have a family because then it will be very difficult to push through a purchase of a somewhat unpractical car and I don't want to wait for a mid-life crisis and/or a divorce to by another car :grin: I have my licence for 12 years now, driving fairly often. Not sure how many kms a year. My driving experience concerning cars is so far more or less limited to 77 kw 1.9TDI 2nd gen Škoda Octavia and 107kw 2nd gen Mazda MX-5. With these, I did quite a lot of driving. Some limited experience with other cars but all are pretty comparable to the Octavia (except for VW Transporter :grin: ). I know only a little about cars in general.

I am looking for a (somewhat) sporty car that is fun to drive and looks good. Yeah, very useful, I know. Looks are actually quite important in that I specifically don't want a car that would stand out that much and I am not a fan of too aggressive looking cars. I want a car that I would find beautiful without it conveying overly "look, I have a very cool car" vibes. As silly as it may sound, I was contemplating 6th gen Celica as I think it looks great (unlike the 7th, good God!), but it is a little too dated vehicle at this point, I think. I don't really look for engine power or speed per se and more about the feel of being sporty. As written above, I drove MX-5 quite a lot and I love that car in that it is fun even at perfectly legal speeds and with a weak engine, so looking for something comparable, but a tid more practical. Looking preferably for a three-door car and can do both hardtop and cabrio. Would love RWD just for memes, but can do FWD also. Should be able to accommodate two people on a trip, but I don't want a family car. I am not on a tight budget in that servicing costs or fuel economy would be that important but I don't want money-sink either. Looking to keep the car for a while. The purchase is planned for around Dec 2022 - Mar 2023. Can be a bit earlier but I would like to pay up front preferably instead of taking a loan for a car.

So far, I think I got a closest match in a Toyota GT86 (still need to see it and feel in person, though) so looking for alternatives. GT86 is incredibly beautiful with sleek curves but not too fancy, it's a RWD which is a plus and the reviews say it is a great little car to drive. It also has two rear seats that are more of additional baggage space, so that's a plus.

Some further guidelines to spice things up :grin:

No BMWs - in my country, they are driven either by late 40s to 50s business people (new shiny BMWs) or early 20s teenagers wishing to have a cool car (disintegrating rusty old BMWs held together only by the sheer will of German engineering). I don't belong into either of these groups and have a slight disdain for the brand.
No Audis - only assholes and upper class women drive these. Sorry, TT :sad:
No Porsches - some used technically go below 25k, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in one
No MX-5s - I am too tall to comfortably drive these

Preferably no hatchbacks (willing to take a suggestion, though, if any is really fitting) - I don't really like the shape, especially if they are more boxy around the back.

Thanks for your patience :grin:

Maybe something like a used Lexus GS or SC or an Infiniti G35/37 would fit the bill (if they're available in your country that is). The GT86 is supposed to be a great car overall though, a Subaru drivetrain in a Toyota chassis. The only complaint you hear about them is from car guys who are disappointed that the 0-60 isn't really competitive with other sports cars, but that doesn't really sound like something you're too worried about.

If there is a car that has a reputation of attracting overzealous amateur racers and kings of highway passing lanes, RSs are strong contenders for the first place. Secondly, it looks too similar to, well, all other Škodas. And Škodas in Czechia are like owls in Athens.

Krik, thanks for mentioning Infiniti, haven't thought (or heard of, even) before. Will take a look at it. And yes, were the AE86 not unobtanium here, I would definitely get that one (for the soundtrack, of course :razz: ).

Back
Top Bottom