OSP Medieval 3D Art Yoman's helmets/coifs for byzantine, cataphracts, and others (OSP)

Currently viewing this thread:

As the title suggests, they are face-covering coifs. Since I am not using them for any mod, I though i would make them OSP.


Just a quick note, this is a package of resources and textures that are used for mods, so it is NOT a mod.

Here are some pics

helmets.png
shelmetsvar.png

decorated seljuk helmet:
seljukhelmet2.png
(Thanks to смертник for allowing me to use his chainmail texture)


And some sleek in-game screens:
helmet5.png
helmet3.png
helmet1.png
helmet2y.png
seljukhelmet3.png



Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5h3qkarvqtq8x

Updated November 7, 2010 (a quick fix in the brf file so it wont give get_object_failed error)


Just remember, give credit if you use this in your mod
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
Hooray! Thanks so much Yoman, these are really some of the most fantastic helmets I've seen for M&B. Great owrk!
 

Outlawed

Sergeant Knight
WB
This is beyond amazing.
And you said you weren't good at modeling! Xd
Awesome stuff. You should try working on some armors!
 
Glad you guys like it.
Al_Mansur said:
helmet2y.png

This coif really looks like an Andalusian mighfar.

Searching for that on google, i ran into this
_kyn0840_1024x768_.jpg
Not sure if that is what you meant, but I might make that some time.


Outlawed said:
This is beyond amazing.
And you said you weren't good at modeling! Xd
Awesome stuff. You should try working on some armors!

Those helmets are actually my third or forth attempt at em  :???: (My first try at them did not work too well). As for armors, I have only manged to fuse some native armors and retexture them (like, shoulder pads of one armor + another armor). I just think rigging will be a pain in the ass.
 

Outlawed

Sergeant Knight
WB
Rigging is the hard bit =p
Well, texturing might be harder because you have to make the texture and etc. lol
 

Sahran

Grandmaster Knight
Yoman Jenkins said:
Searching for that on google, i ran into this
_kyn0840_1024x768_.jpg
Not sure if that is what you meant, but I might make that some time.

I dunno the name of that, but I see it a lot on Seljuk style troops. Would be a welcome addition. If you need concept art for any helmet of any period, I'd be happy to help out.

Those helmets are actually my third or forth attempt at em  :???: (My first try at them did not work too well). As for armors, I have only manged to fuse some native armors and retexture them (like, shoulder pads of one armor + another armor). I just think rigging will be a pain in the ass.

Certainly worth the extra time you put into them, they look great. I checked back on those Russian Helmets you did and I think they looked really good too.

As for native body models, I think for most situations they are generally solid and just need that kind of 'lego bricking' of one feature + another feature. For example, smoothing out the sarranid elite armor (mamluk armor) so that it doesn't have the shoulderpads, boxy chest, boxy forearms and boxy sash would make it a perfect 10th/11th century Mail coat.
 
Sahran said:
Yoman Jenkins said:
Searching for that on google, i ran into this
_kyn0840_1024x768_.jpg
Not sure if that is what you meant, but I might make that some time.

I dunno the name of that, but I see it a lot on Seljuk style troops. Would be a welcome addition. If you need concept art for any helmet of any period, I'd be happy to help out.

Those helmets are actually my third or forth attempt at em  :???: (My first try at them did not work too well). As for armors, I have only manged to fuse some native armors and retexture them (like, shoulder pads of one armor + another armor). I just think rigging will be a pain in the ass.

Certainly worth the extra time you put into them, they look great. I checked back on those Russian Helmets you did and I think they looked really good too.

As for native body models, I think for most situations they are generally solid and just need that kind of 'lego bricking' of one feature + another feature. For example, smoothing out the sarranid elite armor (mamluk armor) so that it doesn't have the shoulderpads, boxy chest, boxy forearms and boxy sash would make it a perfect 10th/11th century Mail coat.


I guess if i am looking for good concept, ill go to u  :grin:. And speaking of the Mamluk mail... I was actually turning it into a mail coat a little while back:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not sure how i will do the "smoothing" though without messing with the rigging
 

iggorbb

Master Knight
You can export armour, smooth in some 3d program, import back and find original item go to edit/copy, select smoothed item and than edit/paste rigging, but I don't know what it will look like.
EDIT: In openBRF, I forgot to mention that.
 

Al_Mansur

Grandmaster Knight
WB
Yoman Jenkins said:
Searching for that on google, i ran into this
_kyn0840_1024x768_.jpg
Not sure if that is what you meant, but I might make that some time.

That's a 12th century Turkish helmet. Mighfar is in fact the Arabic word for mail coif, which was quite used in al-Andalus from the 10th to the 13th century. A little turban, like on your helmet, was often worn over the coif. Here an Osprey picture about it:
13046125626963_the_moors_the_islamic_west_7th15th_centuries_ad_05.jpg
A late 12th century carved stone of a Spanish church:
15796270025019_a_palacio08.jpg
And a late 10th century Mozarab drawing showing an Andalusian horseman wearing the same coif:
18023105409210_mozarab.jpg
 

kuauik

Baron
WB
Yoman Jenkins said:
Glad you guys like it.
Al_Mansur said:
helmet2y.png

This coif really looks like an Andalusian mighfar.

Searching for that on google, i ran into this
_kyn0840_1024x768_.jpg
Not sure if that is what you meant, but I might make that some time.


Outlawed said:
This is beyond amazing.
And you said you weren't good at modeling! Xd
Awesome stuff. You should try working on some armors!
this helmet would be great

Those helmets are actually my third or forth attempt at em  :???: (My first try at them did not work too well). As for armors, I have only manged to fuse some native armors and retexture them (like, shoulder pads of one armor + another armor). I just think rigging will be a pain in the ass.
 
Al_Mansur said:
Yoman Jenkins said:
Searching for that on google, i ran into this
_kyn0840_1024x768_.jpg
Not sure if that is what you meant, but I might make that some time.

That's a 12th century Turkish helmet. Mighfar is in fact the Arabic word for mail coif, which was quite used in al-Andalus from the 10th to the 13th century. A little turban, like on your helmet, was often worn over the coif. Here an Osprey picture about it:
13046125626963_the_moors_the_islamic_west_7th15th_centuries_ad_05.jpg
A late 12th century carved stone of a Spanish church:
15796270025019_a_palacio08.jpg
And a late 10th century Mozarab drawing showing an Andalusian horseman wearing the same coif:
18023105409210_mozarab.jpg

Ill try and make something like that when i get the time.

I've made this however (try and ignore the texture though)
seljukhelmet.png

Maybe its the rushed texture work, but i do not think it will look that great in warband with all those funny colors, i think it will look a little better if it's metal.
 
Top Bottom