Yet another one........

Users who are viewing this thread

I like the ruleset.

Erk said:
Now, to all the map makers out there. PLEASE MAKE SMALLER MAPS, much smaller. Maps should feel populated and currently there is no map at all that accomplishes that. Reduce the size, seriously.

No  :razz:

If you play on Normandy at 80-100players it feels very populated. Bigger maps are also nicer because you can make your own small faction without a bunch of idiots joining.
I personally dislike any map with less than 4 main castles.

This rule set I think is perfect for PW ^^^. Also on the day of question, ask TA Ryzen, I did not insult anybody,

EDIT

I have also been thinking about the state of Richfield Village. For some reason, it attracts huge amounts of randomers which I saw yesterday when I was lord of it, and no matter what the Lord does, it is impossible to stop it. So I thought of the idea of making it slightly different. Firstly, you put an Iron door on the place to join it, open able only by someone with keys. Secondly, you make it so than any faction can raid it, considering they have admin approval and an appropriate RP reason for it. This would make it a lot weaker. Lastly, I would try and make it more organised, so it is in a way, a form of town watch, but without the name.

Av3ng3r said:
I like the ruleset.

Erk said:
Now, to all the map makers out there. PLEASE MAKE SMALLER MAPS, much smaller. Maps should feel populated and currently there is no map at all that accomplishes that. Reduce the size, seriously.

No  :razz:

If you play on Normandy at 80-100players it feels very populated. Bigger maps are also nicer because you can make your own small faction without a bunch of idiots joining.
I personally dislike any map with less than 4 main castles.

Yes the rule set is currently perfect on EU_Union or is it.

The map size needs to stay large with the player base mainly over 80 plus. There needs to be a large number of factions and castles to allow  everyone to do their own thing.

Metagaming is so hard to control...I'd rather drop it altogether. Metagaming happens all the time over TS anyway.

Note that I would also delete the requirement to RP robberies. A lot of the times it ends up being annoying, since a lot of people claim that they have been poorly robbed just to get away with it. Creates more trouble than anything, you cannot force anyone to RP.

Once it is guaranteed that you won't be randomly killed by the common troll or that the guy you robbed doesn't keep coming back with a GS, good luck players. Together with the automated banking, this should free a lot of time for admins.

Better to provide a few rules and actually enforce them than to have a damn long ruleset and let everyone play around it.

Erk said:
Metagaming is so hard to control...I'd rather drop it altogether. Metagaming happens all the time over TS anyway.

you cannot force anyone to RP.
Better to provide a few rules and actually enforce them than to have a damn long ruleset and let everyone play around it.

That would actually be possible [dream] if there were many willing and hardworking admins.[/dream] Sadly not.

No, "roleplay or die" doesn't work. No amount of admin enforcement is going to make people "roleplay". It's an illusion that the server admins have been pressing in peoples heads for years in order to increase their own power.

Overgaul said:
Erk said:

you cannot force anyone to RP.

That would actually be possible [dream] if there were many willing and hardworking admins.[/dream] Sadly not.

Are you an admin or have you been an admin?
I haven't yet I have observed a syndrome I will call admin fatigue. Quite simply, to start the admins are on often, keen, working hard. Then they get pissed off at people raging at them. Then, some of them break, and go on mass banning sprees, or just hand out the pass.
I know im not the one to really comment on this, I have a rather colourful history when it comes to raging and being a bit of a twat, but I definitely know this happens.

It's not fatigue. It's going on a power trip.

These people want attention. They have no intention to help players or improve servers or the mod. They want power. Control. Recognition. That's why they applied.

Can't you people see this?

I have to agree with Splintert. a lot of admins do want power and attention for the sake of it (this applies to server owners as well). Now out of this material, how do we make the most. For me, administrative titles keep people interested in the admin job hence serve a purpose.

If everyone was so mature and balanced that the carrot of administrative titles wasn't necessary, there wouldn't be rule breaking and and then there is no need for admins.

Having said that, I go back to my suggested rules. Keep it simple, let players do the rest. Emphasis should be placed on scene/ map making.

Also, punish harshly.  Few rules, but ban the randomers. By now, the player base understands the concept of randoming very well. Focus on keeping randoming under control and the rest players can manage very well.

Splintert is being the "serious man" by point out the obvious, bleak truth, but that's not all there is to it.

Yes, people enjoy being in positions of fame and power, buuuuuuuuuuut, it's not that simple.

There are people who enjoy being in positions of power, because they want to use that power for what they consider just or fair.
There are people who enjoy being in power and being famous, but aren't bad at it because of that.

Just because someone does something for selfish reasons, doesn't mean they are completely without morals.
And yes, I do believe there is such a thing as fatigue, it's very common in other RP platforms, and
destructive trolling is very common there as well.

Splintert said:
No, "roleplay or die" doesn't work. No amount of admin enforcement is going to make people "roleplay". It's an illusion that the server admins have been pressing in peoples heads for years in order to increase their own power.

Unless they take the word "roleplay" as "type four lines of text in order to buy food from a merchant*, keeping a minimum level shouldn´t be hard for anyone, even for those whose english is barely english.
If only the 1k or die thingy would be replaced for "Halt peasant, 1000 denars or your life* and so on. But in fact I´ve not played this mod in a very long time so things may have changed, I am not trying to set a serious arguement right here.

Overgaul said:
Splintert said:

Unless they take the word "roleplay" as "type four lines of text in order to buy food from a merchant*, keeping a minimum level shouldn´t be hard for anyone, even for those whose english is barely english.
If only the 1k or die thingy would be replaced for "Halt peasant, 1000 denars or your life* and so on. But in fact I´ve not played this mod in a very long time so things may have changed, I am not trying to set a serious arguement right here.

The rules tell them to "type four lines of text in order to buy food from a merchant". The admins tell them that is roleplay. It's not, and never should be remotely considered to be.

Serann said:
Splintert is being the "serious man" by point out the obvious, bleak truth, but that's not all there is to it.

Yes, people enjoy being in positions of fame and power, buuuuuuuuuuut, it's not that simple.

There are people who enjoy being in positions of power, because they want to use that power for what they consider just or fair.
There are people who enjoy being in power and being famous, but aren't bad at it because of that.

Just because someone does something for selfish reasons, doesn't mean they are completely without morals.
And yes, I do believe there is such a thing as fatigue, it's very common in other RP platforms, and

The White Knight argument is largely pointless, as the ratio of White to Black knights is so overwhelmingly small.

If I were to run a server with admin applications, those applications would be signing up to be on the list of players who aren't going to be admins. Seeking power is the definition of bad admin. Unfortunately every single server for the past 2 years has used this horrifying system. Strangely, a majority of all PW-related problems (rules, economy, unfair punishment, server betrayals, and whatnot) are all directly related to admins. Look at the mass of complaint threads on the first 2 pages of this board. "**** admins here, bad admins here, horrible unfair admins here" is a theme.

Splintert said:
Overgaul said:
Splintert said:

The rules tell them to "type four lines of text in order to buy food from a merchant". The admins tell them that is roleplay. It's not, and never should be remotely considered to be.

Serann said:

The White Knight argument is largely pointless, as the ratio of White to Black knights is so overwhelmingly small.

If I were to run a server with admin applications, those applications would be signing up to be on the list of players who aren't going to be admins. Seeking power is the definition of bad admin. Unfortunately every single server for the past 2 years has used this horrifying system. Strangely, a majority of all PW-related problems (rules, economy, unfair punishment, server betrayals, and whatnot) are all directly related to admins.

lol?

our rules state nothing about typing 4 lines of text to buy bread. tha fudge you smoking?

also the promotion system for admins is essential. We run our team just as we run our regiment. good work etc is rewarded. bad work is punished. whether through demotion or through removal from the team. Its very well saying that you would only ever let the "good" guys be admins for you and those that you trust etc. but when you need a team larger then your 4 friends you trust you MUST put in place a system where the community that you don't know so well are given opportunities to gain your trust and to prove themselves. Without this your server is over-run and the RDM rates go through the roof due to, too few admins and too many complaints.

Furthermore about your comment that it isn't fatigue and that all admins are power hungry crazies. A simple "lol" is all i say, if you had ever been an admin in one of the top or most populated servers such as RCC in the past or union now you would know that being an admin is not easy, that it IS tiring and that you are constantly overworked and understaffed.

Any idea that is contrary to this speaks of someone who not only hasn't been an admin but clearly has never tried to speak to an admin during "rush hour" or when they are trying to bank or deal with a complaint. Its not easy lol i suggest you try and apply for admin with revolution as they are getting medium player counts. perhaps the experience will "enlighten" you to the actual and very real stress of admining.

17th_Bern said:
lol?

our rules state nothing about typing 4 lines of text to buy bread. tha fudge you smoking?

also the promotion system for admins is essential. We run our team just as we run our regiment. good work etc is rewarded. bad work is punished. whether through demotion or through removal from the team. Its very well saying that you would only ever let the "good" guys be admins for you and those that you trust etc. but when you need a team larger then your 4 friends you trust you MUST put in place a system where the community that you don't know so well are given opportunities to gain your trust and to prove themselves. Without this your server is over-run and the RDM rates go through the roof due to, too few admins and too many complaints.

Furthermore about your comment that it isn't fatigue and that all admins are power hungry crazies. A simple "lol" is all i say, if you had ever been an admin in one of the top or most populated servers such as RCC in the past or union now you would know that being an admin is not easy, that it IS tiring and that you are constantly overworked and understaffed.

Any idea that is contrary to this speaks of someone who not only hasn't been an admin but clearly has never tried to speak to an admin during "rush hour" or when they are trying to bank or deal with a complaint. Its not easy lol i suggest you try and apply for admin with revolution as they are getting medium player counts. perhaps the experience will "enlighten" you to the actual and very real stress of admining.

Alright dude I don't usually like to flaunt who I am but you have no idea what you're talking about at all in this situation.

First, the 4 lines of text was an exaggeration.

Second, a regiment is a group of people designed to line up and shoot enemies. Admins aren't lining up, they aren't shooting people, and they sure as hell aren't organized.

Third, I was an admin on every single main PW server before this year, ending with JaXm's East server. That includes original RCC, NAPW, EU_A, United, and East. Don't even try to tell me I'm inexperienced or don't know what I'm talking about, because I know more about being an admin than you could ever hope to know.

On that note, I'm not trying to say I'm better than you or anyone else. I've been around basically since the mod came out 2 and a half years ago. I've seen everything. However, during the times when I was an admin, not once did I become "overworked" or "stressed" or any other bull**** like that. I didn't expect people to treat me like a god, so I didn't have to yell at them for not bowing down and worshiping me like most admins seem to demand today. I spent more time standing around doing nothing than dealing with complaints, and not because I was being lazy. It is not a hard job, and anyone who complains that it is a hard job is a whiny idiot who shouldn't be a volunteer admin.

17th_Bern said:
you MUST put in place a system where the community that you don't know so well are given opportunities to gain your trust and to prove themselves. Without this your server is over-run and the RDM rates go through the roof due to, too few admins and too many complaints.

A single bad administrator can throw a server in the garbage can. And even if the server manages to get out of the garbage can, it will continue to stink like junk.

Edit:

Added the quote, it was looking like a response to Splintert's post before.

Splintert indeed has been an administratior on many servers, a strict ***** dastardly bashing, but with justice. Also he's the only one that manages to make sense right now.. People like me just sit back spinning their head around while sniffing on their own socks or smoking them and pretending to be a bird, i also like garbage cans, they taste good

Splintert said:
17th_Bern said:
lol?

Alright dude I don't usually like to flaunt who I am but you have no idea what you're talking about at all in this situation.

First, the 4 lines of text was an exaggeration.

Second, a regiment is a group of people designed to line up and shoot enemies. Admins aren't lining up, they aren't shooting people, and they sure as hell aren't organized.

Third, I was an admin on every single main PW server before this year, ending with JaXm's East server. That includes original RCC, NAPW, EU_A, United, and East. Don't even try to tell me I'm inexperienced or don't know what I'm talking about, because I know more about being an admin than you could ever hope to know.

On that note, I'm not trying to say I'm better than you or anyone else. I've been around basically since the mod came out 2 and a half years ago. I've seen everything. However, during the times when I was an admin, not once did I become "overworked" or "stressed" or any other bull**** like that. I didn't expect people to treat me like a god, so I didn't have to yell at them for not bowing down and worshiping me like most admins seem to demand today. I spent more time standing around doing nothing than dealing with complaints, and not because I was being lazy. It is not a hard job, and anyone who complains that it is a hard job is a whiny idiot who shouldn't be a volunteer admin.

Its funny how you assume that you know me as well. the fact that you believe you know more about being an admin then i could "ever hope to know" is very funny. You don't know for a second how many communities i have run over the years in what games. Successful communities that are still alive under the watchful eyes of others. so lets not get out the "holier then thou" attitude shall we?

we're not saying that our admins should like up and shoot people however discipline works lol we run our admins with the same disciplines and expectations that we do our regiment. Anything less would lead to the very things you are describing that happened on other servers.

you may have been part of teams that weren't organized in the past but that is the poor work of the leaderships. not the admins faults. OUR servers admins are organized. we have a clear chain of command and we have a clear system for doing things. That has improved the quality of our admins.

you may have had an easy admining experience however you are in the few. talk to any current admins on a populated server and ask them if they consider admining to be easy, fun and that they have never been stressed or overworked. lol

Your lucky if you didn't but therefore not only assuming that everyone is having it as you did but then going on to say that if they are showing signs of that, that "It's not fatigue. It's going on a power trip.

These people want attention. They have no intention to help players or improve servers or the mod. They want power. Control. Recognition. That's why they applied.

Can't you people see this?"

is completely out of line, to assume that your experiences that seem to be highly lucky and very rare are standard and how things are is Hillarious.

personally ive been admining for communities online since vanilla WoW. I've been admin in many different games and in all of them i have seen individuals get stressed due to workload etc. managing these things is not easy. personally i work my ass off running union, whether its the normal stuff such as log bans, unbans, staff management, recruitment, server admining, cleaning forums, server box control, managing rules and systems, meeting with players, dealing with complaints or the out of the ordinary stuff such as website design, youtube videos for new maps, events creation or ofc advising other communities in running or starting up a new community and running a team. There is much to do and too few to do it even with simple admining let alone the behind the scenes stuff. These days the RDM rates and the rates of meta gaming are through the roof the bulk of the community doesn't care about RP anymore, all they want to do is log in and kill ****. They dont care about metagaming and they dont care about RP'ing before a kill.

This means that the problems admins have to deal with have changed just as the community has.

whilst i respect your point of view, its not accurate to the majority of admins, if the other admins are saying that they are tired and stressed and your in the minority that doesnt dont you therefore assume that it is different because of your situations? and not that infact all the other admins aren't doing it right? lol

Back
Top Bottom