Yarn of insignificant questions

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't even know what Monty is talking about here. I don't understand what the above mentioned transphobic assumptions really mean.

But I am sure you know that, and you are just trying to flame (why tho).
They're not transphobic. Monty regularly says a lot of things that are plain wrong and will (tacitly) lie when confronted. At this point I'm starting to believe that he's a compulsive liar. I'm not joking.

I'm mad because I make a habit of trying to understand people, not just argue with them, and he's always abused that when we've talked. He'll signal extreme confidence about his knowledge on a topic but turn out to be wrong when you fact check him. He's regurgitated conservative propaganda on at least 3 occasions because it was a convient dunk against liberals in the past. It leaves me extremely confused and uncomfortable when I'm lied to in a conversation. I will concede to superior positions in light of new data, but if you concede something and it turns out to be plain wrong when you fact check afterwards, you will feel very uncomfortable and deceived. Which is why it's really important to call out the dishonesty for what it is.

He'll also alway try to have the last word because he knows people read the last thing in a discussion as a concluding remark to a discussion. I told him that. The last thing that you read is the thing witnesses usually remember about a discussion, irregardless of the substance. It's essentially a rhetorical trick that the abuses.

I can't fact check every thing people say. I'm limited to how much time and effort I can put into that, especially now that I've tried to rewire my brain from ARGUE mode to UNDERSTAND mode. My default capacities should preferably go into understanding people. Meaning I really have to emphasize when someone lies to not let him get away with tailoring a false narrative.

Don't know if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Does it? This is the first result I hit looking that up from google.

And anyone who has talked to me more than once in the offtopic section knows that this is not from my search history :smile:

(and to be fair, that is probably a good result, this sure looks like a good compendium of transphobic theories. I don't think it's what Monty had in mind tho)
For me that's the 3rd link.
First: https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0102-71822020000100230&script=sci_arttext
Second: https://lgbt.libdems.org.uk/en/page/debunking-transphobic-talking-points-longer-version

Not that it matters - skimming over the first two sites of results seem to give sufficient viable links to further investigate the subject, if someone's actually interested in it. I just mentioned it since the 'discussion' seems to have completely ignored the possibility of actually googling some keywords even remotely associated with the subject, instead of doing whatever the last pages are about (Edit: and it seems to still go on that way).

For me that's the 3rd link.
First: https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0102-71822020000100230&script=sci_arttext
Second: https://lgbt.libdems.org.uk/en/page/debunking-transphobic-talking-points-longer-version

Not that it matters - skimming over the first two sites of results seem to give sufficient viable links to further investigate the subject, if someone's actually interested in it. I just mentioned it since the 'discussion' seems to have completely ignored the possibility of actually googling some keywords even remotely associated with the subject, instead of doing whatever the last pages are about (Edit: and it seems to still go on that way).
Right, but if you are not knowledgeable on the topic and don't already have an opinion on it it's also easy to fall into a rabbit hole of misinformation. I know enough of heritage.org to completely disregard anything they say. If I didn't, I might be willing to entertain what they wrote, and if the presentation is good enough (and honestly, it is, because that's what they do for a living) I might end up more ignorant (or I guess the proper term is misinformed) than I was before the search.

I would also like to point out that the first source you link is about why people are transphobic. It doesn't really debunk any transphobic theory, so it's not related to what we were talking about. The second does, but anyone who hasn't already taken a stance on this topic won't even read something coming from lgbt.libdems.org. They will skim it and jump right into the heritage.org website.

And look, I am not trying to pick fights. The bottom line is, this was the request:

Any credible sources that these explanations were in fact debunked? I'd like to see the arguments for myself.

Seems like a reasonable question to me, I don't see the confrontation in it, as far as I can tell it doesn't even come from the person who was flaming Monty about this (that would be @Nega-Brutus and my man, it sounds like you and Monty have a history, I don't know it and honestly that's between the two of you, but I don't think that you flaming is helping anyone. It never does :smile: ). But even if the question was asked in spite, I still think that one should provide their sources if they have them. The people who get confrontational on this kind of thing are often those that need knowledge the most. If they disregard the sources, well that's on them now isn't it. I find that often when I just share my sources without trying to get confrontational about what we are talking about, people actually read them and they might end up learning something new.

Then of course no one has to share anything if they don't want to. I do think it's the wrong attitude though.

He's likely already looked and found nothing
when i said i wouldn't make any effort for your or vader's bad faith bull****, that's what i meant. so no, sorry to disappoint, there was no "looking and finding nothing". i'm not the greatest fan of trawling through academic journals at the best of times, let alone doing so at the behest of the likes of you.

Monty also made some wierd trans exclusionary remarks.
i very much have not, and it would be strange for me to do so, given that i am not cis.

I would actually like to see those myself.
oh, that's no problem. i suggest you start with the references to this reasonably current review of literature supporting a primarily biological (as opposed to social/psychological) origin of transgender identities. plenty to read in those.
(of personal interest: a couple of them make a point of discussing the non-binary aspect of brain development and gender identity as a spectrum, which is quite neat)
you might also check pubmed under dysphoria/etiology, i'm sure you'll find other current research there if you feel like doing some digging.

a couple highlights:
10.1016/j.yfrne.2011.02.007
There is no evidence that one's postnatal social environment plays a crucial role in gender identity or sexual orientation.
10.1016/j.ecl.2019.01.002
Although mechanisms have not been demonstrated, gender identity seems a durable, biologic phenomenon that is not shaped by external forces. No environmental influence on gender identity has been identified to date.
10.1300/J485v09n01_04
In sum, gender identity, whether consistentor inconsistent with other sex characteristics,may be understood to be “much less a matterof choice and much more a matter of biology”
which, yaknow, fundamentally rule out both things ("not cut out for expectations [...] of men" and "wanting to feel pretty and express femininty") that were bizarrely suggested as causes of the perceived "'excess' dysphoric men", as vader so inelegantly put it.

Seems like a reasonable question to me, I don't see the confrontation in it, as far as I can tell it doesn't even come from the person who was flaming Monty about this
i don't like sealioning edgelords. vader has a history.

They're not transphobic
when suggested as causes of dysphoria or as explanations of "'excess' dysphoric men", as you did, they are, in fact, transphobic. if you did not intend to suggest them as causes of dysphoria or as explanations of "'excess' dysphoric men", then the issue lies with your inadequately expressing yourself or perhaps misunderstanding the posed question.

Monty regularly says a lot of things that are plain wrong and will (tacitly) lie when confronted. At this point I'm starting to believe that he's a compulsive liar. I'm not joking.

I'm mad because I make a habit of trying to understand people, not just argue with them and he's always abused that when we've talked.
genuinely cackling. your constant personal attacks are a fantastically ingenious way of expressing "a habit of trying to understand people".
9mjnM.png

The excerpts you posted aren't contradictory to anything I've said. Another demonstration of how obsolutely clueless you are.

The screens taken out of context are 1000% justified and I will defend every single instance of me getting mad as completely justified.

EDIT: I genuinely appreciate the substance oriented response for the record, and I'm gonna add something.

when i said i wouldn't make any effort for your or vader's bad faith bull****, that's what i meant. so no, sorry to disappoint, there was no "looking and finding nothing". i'm not the greatest fan of trawling through academic journals at the best of times, let alone doing so at the behest of the likes of you.
You missed my good faith then, obvious from my careful posting. I genuinely want to know what's the truth.
I'll look at the links you provided to show even more good faith.
i don't like sealioning edgelords. vader has a history.
Whatever happened years ago is clearly still relevant in your mind. Or it's just an excuse to bash people.
I would take people at face value and judge them by their recent posting history. Or if people behave the same as you, they will remember that you once lied and will call you a liar forever. That's poor judgment.

I have lost alot of interest in gaming and now days it's more of a thing to past time or do something with my friends. I have picked up digital art any good guides, how to make 3d models ? I will probably use blender but there is so many tutorials on youtube I have no clue where to start.

their recent posting history
yes. you also have a recent history of being a sealioning edgelord. if somehow the 1:1 overlap between your regular trolling and the way you approached this particular conversation was a complete coincidence, you have my sincerest apologies.

The excerpts you posted aren't contradictory to anything I've said. Another demonstration of how obsolutely clueless you are.
man, i wonder if anyone is buying this charade.

take your genuine apprecation and go to hell with it.

oh, that's no problem. i suggest you start with the references to this reasonably current review of literature supporting a primarily biological (as opposed to social/psychological) origin of transgender identities. plenty to read in those.
(of personal interest: a couple of them make a point of discussing the non-binary aspect of brain development and gender identity as a spectrum, which is quite neat)
you might also check pubmed under dysphoria/etiology, i'm sure you'll find other current research there if you feel like doing some digging.

a couple highlights:

which, yaknow, fundamentally rule out both things ("not cut out for expectations [...] of men" and "wanting to feel pretty and express femininty") that were bizarrely suggested as causes of the perceived "'excess' dysphoric men", as vader so inelegantly put it.

Thank you!

yes. you also have a recent history of being a sealioning edgelord. if somehow the 1:1 overlap between your regular trolling and the way you approached this particular conversation was a complete coincidence, you have my sincerest apologies.

man, i wonder if anyone is buying this charade.

take your genuine apprecation and go to hell with it.

I’m gonna go forward trying to be good faith. I will clearly signal where I have gaps in my understanding of things and where I’m not sure about things. I will concede where you demonstrate a more nuanced, in-depth understanding of things, of course, and I’m gonna get pissy where it’s obvious you’re exaggerating, deflecting, omitting or relying on fallacies wrt important points. I need you to hold me to the same standard if we care about mutual understanding. If something I say is unclear or sounds obfuscating, it’s perfectly possible that I’ve simply articulated it poorly. Let me know when this happens and where I need to elaborate. I’ll do the same for you.

1. Gender expression
I think that you misunderstood what is meant with gender expression. Gender expression does not imply that one arbitrarily chooses a set of expressions.

Gender expression merely suggests that your gender manifests in some type of set of behaviour, mannerisms, interests, and appearance. Your expression can manifest due to intrinsic, biological, psychological or social reasons. It Occam's razors/circumvents any discussion about WHY an expression occurs. It merely looks at the effects, the actual manifestation of the preferred expression.

This is important because it legitimizes transgender people whatever the reasons for the transitioning may be. To suggest otherwise is to centre the legitimacy of transgender people around biology/psychology/sociology or whatever may be the current discussion it surrounds atm. Slightly related but important to note I think is that it’s also very, very, very important to understand that biology does not exist separately from psychology. You shouldn’t make that distinction if you want a holistic understanding of things.

This is the most inclusive, correct way of talking about transgender people. To say that transitions occur due to purely biological reasons is to exclude transgender people that have transitioned due to non-biology-driven reasons. You would be denying them their preferred gender. From your own source: ‘’Many transgender individuals suffer no dysphoria but still require medical and/or surgical interventions to align their bodies with their gender identities.’’ To suggest that one needs to feel dysphoric to be truly trans is transmedicalism. Which is notoriously trans-exclusionary, afaik.

2. Gender identity
To clarify, I never suggested that your ‘’intrinsically-driven’’ (ie biological/psychological) gender identity was formed purely due to social factors. What I said was that you can have a certain gender identity that does not conform to expectations. Still, society IMPOSES expectation from your at-birth-assigned gender arbitrarily, which does not necessarily conform to your gender identity/expression. You may feel like you like to dress up (due to biological/psychological etc. reasons) but society still expects you to wear suits and not act in certain ways. This is what triggers dysphoria. The inability to express oneself according to their gender in identity/expression, which is in part a manifestation of a biological/psychological mismatch.

Relevant excerpts:

‘’The specific causes of gender dysphoria remain unknown, and treatments targeting the etiology or pathogenesis of gender dysphoria do not exist.’’ – Wiki Gender Dysphoria

‘’Compelling studies have demonstrated that “gender identity”—a person's inner sense of self as male, female, or occasionally a category other than male or female—is not simply a psychosocial construct, but likely reflects a complex interplay of biological, environmental, and cultural factors.’’ - https://academic-oup-com.proxy.library.uu.nl/jcem/article/99/12/4379/2833862

‘’What causes gender dysphoria? The exact cause of gender dysphoria is unclear. Gender development is complex and there are still things that are not known or fully understood…’’ - https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/gender-dysphoria/overview/

3. Gender dysphoria
Your gender is not binary. It’s a spectrum like you said. Likewise, gender dysphoria (GD) is most likely not binary either. You are in truth not either-or dysphoric or a-dysphoric. Like with autism, we’re all somewhere on a spectrum because no one is MAN or WOMAN. It’s helpful to not look at autism or GD as some kind of condition or wrong that needs to be corrected. It’s something that needs to be treated IF it affects the quality of your life severely enough. It’s not some kind of weird irregularity. And it’s perfectly fine to hypothesize that your dysphoria can be alleviated the better you can express your gender-related characteristics. The more you feel comfortable with yourself, the less likely your dysphoria is going to bother you, the less likely you’ll need to transition. If we can look at my gender in my brain and the body separately and conclude that I’m actually ‘’female’’ in the head but my body is ‘’male’’, BUT I don’t care because I barely feel dysphoric, then I don’t have to transition. I don’t even have to identify as a ‘’female’’, if I don’t want to. These people exist and have normal, peaceful good lives. Acknowledging their existence (which is what I did) is not transphobic.

There’s no stigma attached to it for me personally and I will talk about it in a confident way because everything follows logically that transwomen are women through whatever prism you’re looking at it. There’s no need to be afraid to confront transphobic remarks when people are open to being corrected because everything in the literature, be it scientific, liberal/ideological-driven, or philosophical logically concludes that transwomen are women. To deny it is most likely to be irrational.

4. Relevant
‘’People who are transgender may pursue multiple domains of gender affirmation, including social affirmation (e.g., changing one’s name and pronouns), legal affirmation (e.g., changing gender markers on one’s government-issued documents), medical affirmation (e.g., pubertal suppression or gender-affirming hormones), and/or surgical affirmation (e.g., vaginoplasty, facial feminization surgery, breast augmentation, masculine chest reconstruction, etc.). Of note, not all people who are transgender will desire all domains of gender affirmation, as these are highly personal and individual decisions.

It is important to note that gender identity is different from gender expression. Whereas gender identity refers to one’s psychological sense of their gender, gender expression refers to the way in which one presents to the world in a gendered way. For example, in much of the U.S., wearing a dress is considered a “feminine” gender expression, and wearing a tuxedo is considered a “masculine” gender expression. Such expectations are culturally defined and vary across time and culture. One’s gender expression does not necessarily align with their gender identity. Diverse gender expressions, much like diverse gender identities, are not indications of a mental disorder.’’

- https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gender-dysphoria/what-is-gender-dysphoria

Taking studies in support of BODILY dysphoria being biology-driven to suggest that the mainstream literature (which is what I have continuously referred to) is transphobic somehow is NOT how to engage with the subject, for the record.

Is there any room for a little bit of DEESCALATE or perhaps even LET GO modes? :xf-smile:
o7

EDIT:

5. Explaining the charitable approach to MadVader's kinda transphobic comment
This will sound very head-up-my-ass but what I've learned is that if you ever want to convince someone of something, you absolutely have to acknowledge where they are touching on some kind of truth. You have to empower people, make them feel confident in their ability to deal with subjects in order to have them genuinely investigate things and acknowledge where you are correct in kind. You should not try to shut them up and make them resent you and your ideas. I acknowledge what MadVader said as being transphobic, at the same time I prioritize that he'd genuinely engage with the subject if he displays openness. What I tried to do is tell him that what he said was poorly formulated but at the same time, I tried to acknowledge where he might have been touching on a kennel of truth, instead of antagonizing him. Not saying this method is flawless or that I know **** because I'm super flawed and uninformed on plenty he knows very well, obviously. But this is generally my approach to subjects I feel comfortable talking about.

Last edited:
I think that you misunderstood what is meant with gender expression.
you think wrongly.
To say that transitions occur due to purely biological reasons is to exclude transgender people that have transitioned due to non-biology-driven reasons.
To suggest that one needs to feel dysphoric to be truly trans is transmedicalism. Which is notoriously trans-exclusionary, afaik.
it is fortunate, then, that i did not suggest this.

i have no major issue with the rest of that post. it's more or less in line with what i think and have read, some specifics aside.

maybe i expect the worst of you based on the extreme hostility you always display to me. i am pleased to find i misread your intent in this instance, at least in terms of the actual subject.

i would like to explain how i got there:
men want to be women
dysphoric men
are escaping the traditional responsibilities assigned to males by the society. Maybe they got the impression that women have it easier during their childhood, while males are trashed if they are failed providers.
->
It's perfectly possible that some men aren't cut to operate according to the expectations that we've constructed as a society of men.
Some men want to feel pretty or express themselves along feminine lines.
vader was asking specifically about "men [who] want to be women", "dysphoric men". ie trans women.
at its most basic, the transphobic part of those comments is that they are referring to people who are not men as men. you know, misgendering.
i would offer the constructive criticism here that even when referring to trans women before their transition it is in fact not correct to refer to them as men.
(pointing out that this is transphobic is not sabotage of any kind.)

given that you came into the thread to immediately snipe at me after seemingly essentially replying to "why are there so many trans women" with "because they couldn't hack it as men and want to be pretty", while continuing to misgender them, you will have to forgive me for interpreting this as transphobic.

to say "some men want to be pretty (etc)", specifically in response to a question about trans women, to me could only be read as either a) a random non-sequitur about some non-trans men and their gender expression, b) a (misgendering) dismissal of the deeper causes of dysphoria in trans women, or c) blanchard style agp nonsense.

this in combination with "some men aren't cut out (etc)" this lead me to entirely the opposite of what appears to have been your intended message.
i must say i'm still not sold on that line, but since you're actually making a reasonable effort at the good faith thing i'll just ask you to reword that entire section.

you may understand now why from my perspective it seemed you were repeating claims along the lines of blanchard and cohorts while actively misgendering people, since it sounded to me like you were repeating that classic 50s-80s kind of bull****. that in turn may help explain to you what angle i was coming from to emphasise the more recent research into the primarily biological aspects of gender identity, since that is what superseded and debunked said older crap.

we appear to have been talking past each other. alas, the deleterious side effects of verbal abuse.

I wanted both to talk about it in good faith with MadVader and simultaneously take a malicious shot at you because I didn't like the way you approached it, but I understand that your frustration with him is equally justified. That's not something I considered, meaning I thought you were just taking an opportunity to dunk.

Maybe you just have a more keen eye as to what was technically said, but I just felt that his overall attitude was open, hence an opportunity to level with each other. The problem for me is that if I compromise and give him ground to acknowledge him, that I'm actually taking ground away from the pro-trans camp. Or at least it will seem that way to people that aren't in my head and understand my intentions.

Wrt misgendering: I don't think it's wrong to say someone used to be a man. There's nothing gross about that someone used to be a man. I adhere to the ''I'm colourblind'' thing except for genders. I don't discriminate who I bang, for example. If we have chemistry and I'm sexually attracted I'm not gonna limit myself by labels. There's a reason why you transition to female. Because you're, by your own standard, a man before you transition. That's how I understand it.

vader was asking specifically about "men [who] want to be women", "dysphoric men". ie trans women.
at its most basic, the transphobic part of those comments is that they are referring to people who are not men as men. you know, misgendering.
i would offer the constructive criticism here that even when referring to trans women before their transition it is in fact not correct to refer to them as men.
(pointing out that this is transphobic is not sabotage of any kind.)

given that you came into the thread to immediately snipe at me after seemingly essentially replying to "why are there so many trans women" with "because they couldn't hack it as men and want to be pretty", while continuing to misgender them, you will have to forgive me for interpreting this as transphobic.
Yes, I have trouble "gendering" men who want to be women, as women. That makes me transphobic I guess and I can accept that, since I keep running into misgendering stories on my liberal news feed and know the liberal standard that's expected.
However, in an informal setting like an off-topic game forum, I do expect to be given some leeway. I think my offense is very minor and not personally directed, so I don't deserve to be insulted with the same label as people who actually hate or hurt transsexuals.
I believe discussion is more important that name-calling, because you learn something from it (and I did when I posted that from the HELPFUL people who didn't rush to label me).

:???: Are you sure? The first result I got doesn't seem to be enlightening...at least not on the subject being 'discussed'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/2u2qdw/how_do_you_have_nasal_sex/

I have lost alot of interest in gaming and now days it's more of a thing to past time or do something with my friends. I have picked up digital art any good guides, how to make 3d models ? I will probably use blender but there is so many tutorials on youtube I have no clue where to start.

I wouldn't know myself Doctor, but we have an art thread where folk might be able to give you help: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/the-official-art-thread.2329/

Blender Guru's Donut Tutorial is solid.
I feel like everybody did it at some point, but for good reason.

I did my donut in version 2.79 but I am sure the new one for Blender 2.8 and forward is also pretty good.

I'd recommend you to follow through from start to finish if you really want to learn thr basics of Blender.

Back
Top Bottom