Yarn of insignificant questions

Users who are viewing this thread

If you type with one hand, it's understandable. But what are you doing with your left hand while typing? Do we even want to know?
I prefer to stick to the original but I always had this question as an insignificant thing in the back of my head. So what do you guys think?
You are right, Mexxico would be correcter. Or you could type "mexxico"[sic] to remind Mexxico it's lame not to capitalize. Put some pressure on the anarchists, they have lost all decency.

i'll follow a style guide when i have to and at no other point will i waste time on it
(didn't see your post earlier)
Honestly though, you've given me the explanation earlier that some people just aren't worth proper punctuation, and while I can sort of understand the impetus behind that I just don't get it. I strive to keep my writing as clean and legible as I possibly can in every medium I use, not necessarily for other people so much as myself. Do you take so little pride in your own words and in what you have to say?

Honestly though, you've given me the explanation earlier that some people just aren't worth proper punctuation, and while I can sort of understand the impetus behind that I just don't get it. I strive to keep my writing as clean and legible as I possibly can in every medium I use, not necessarily for other people so much as myself. Do you take so little pride in your own words and in what you have to say?
less people, more situations
words are words. if they are understood, they have functioned
there is nothing inherently more legible or more clean or more pretty or more prideworthy about using capitalisation or punctuation one way over another, as long as you are understood you're good

Since you wrote that, I want to ask an insignificant question about a capital letter. I always try to follow the rules I know of when writing something but some people here have forum names not starting with a capital letter. Like, mexxico who was a developer or stevepine, a forum user.

So how do you approach this when writing their names? I mean, when you want to mention mexxico in a post, do you write his name with a capital letter like Mexxico or you stick to the original and write mexxico.

I prefer to stick to the original but I always had this question as an insignificant thing in the back of my head. So what do you guys think?
For usernames or any other kind of nickname, company name etc. I always go with the original, capital or small case. I don't think grammar rules apply here, and NPC99 is correct, since the person chose this name, however he spelt it, it would be silly to alter it, to give a semblance of following the rules.
An exception would be Monty, because I could never really remember the exact spelling of his name, Amontadillo or what not (I always assumed it was from Poe's story, but paraphrased), I "learned" him as Monty, and I can't be arsed to write the full new username. :razz:

This is why changing your forum name is a forum feature. To erase the stigma of being an illiterate barbarian and start anew, armed with civilized knowledge about spelling rules that you got from all the forum taunting you rightly received.
Even forum NPCs can be useful as training tools, despite their precanned responses to every situation and generally mediocre writing and lack of depth.

You know those little circuit boards you can install in your PC to let it connect to wi-fi? What do you call them, wi-fi adapters? Is it possible for them to fail? I've been having internet connection problems with my gaming desktop for a while. It hasn't been losing connection lately, but half the time webpages are slow as **** to load, if they'll load at all. I haven't even bothered with online gaming in the last few weeks because it was just unplayable. At first I just blamed my wi-fi, which I still think is at least partly to blame, but I've been noticing that my tablet doesn't seem to have nearly as much trouble as the desktop, so I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue. I might just buy a new wi-fi board and try it out, but before I spent any money (and then found out that it didn't do any good) I thought it would be worth asking.

Get some hard numbers first and measure the actual download/upload speed using some free app, both on your PC and your tablet.
Here are two random theories: someone else is hogging your internet when you are using your PC or there's a virus on your PC who is busy doing something sinister and hogging the PC connection.
You can also go to your Task Manager and see which tasks are using the internet the most in realtime, and what is its speed.

I thought it would be worth asking.
Technically, I do not know much. I can only provide what I am experiencing while using wi-fi adapters. My father using the oldest desktop in our house and I bought wi-fi adapter for it, may be seven years ago. He is only using pc for reading the news. But every now and then, he calls to me that he can not connect to internet. When I go to check it out, every time either I have to unplug and plug the wi-fi adapter or I have to open its software and reset some stuff.

This summer, my older sister used that pc for watching long videos. Every 30 minutes or so, the internet connection lost and again it was the wi-fi adapter. So is there no way for you to use ethernet cable for internet?

Back in around 2013-17, I had sporadic issues with wifi on my tablet (and not my phone) cutting out for hours at a time, or becoming weak and unusable for months at a time. It seemed to move around the house like an evil spirit. I think it was interference from other devices because when my neighbours moved out temporarily it stopped.

If it's possible, try moving the computer to a room near the router and see if the wifi gets any better.

30 years ago I played a game on Amiga that featured a galaxy map with bright colored pixel stars and some kind of a story and possibly space combat and exploration. I'm pretty sure it was not Star Control 2 (an obvious contemporary with a very similar galaxy map). But what game was it?? It looked interesting and mysterious and I can't get over not knowing what did I miss.
Please help.

Last edited:
30 years ago I played a game on Amiga that featured a galaxy map with bright colored pixel stars and some kind of a story and possibly space combat and exploration. I'm pretty sure it was not Star Control 2 (an obvious contemporary with a very similar galaxy map). But what game was it?? It looked interesting and mysterious and I can't get over not knowing what did I miss.
Please help.
Star Command? https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3351

Yikes at the ugly text menus. But it could be it.
I'll find it and play it to see if it rings any bells, but I'm in your debt in any case.
As a way to say thank you, I'll follow you around the forum for a day and praise all your posts beyond reason, at the date of your choosing.
No need. I still have fond feelings for Lords of Midnight that I played on a ZX Spectrum. https://www.gog.com/game/the_lords_of_midnight

Back
Top Bottom