Need More Info General Xml files not working correctly for some people

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main

Lonewarrior

Sergeant
This is going to sound impossible and if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes I would also think it was impossible.

Let’s say I make a new map, when the map saves it auto changes the settlements file.
Someone then installs my mod, they start a new game and the settlements appears as vanilla game settlements.

In response to this I ask them to delete the basic settlements file and launch the game, the game then crashes because it can’t find the settlements file.
Then I get them to place the settlements file in the location of the original settlements file and open it.

At this point the vanilla game files no longer exist for settlements and the name changes etc are showing in the file as edited versions that I’ve done.

They launch the game and the settlements still appear as vanilla settlements despite the file no longer existing, and in my file (the one the game is reading it from) the settlements have different names.

This doesn’t just apply to settlements, other files such as spclans, spkingdoms and heroes and lords files have also done this.
It makes no difference where the file is (either in my module or overwriting the base game file which was only done as a last resort), this still happens.

Like I say it’s reading my file and then displaying vanilla settlements, but removing that file causes the game to crash.
This doesn’t happen for everyone, but more and more people are reporting it.

I know replacing base game files is not recommended but even that doesn’t help them and it’s a last resort to help them, it’s like some settings are in place to stop them modding their game folders.

Is there anything that would block the game folders from working or reading mods?

I have also witnessed this in other mods on their bugs section.

Last edited:
Thanks for your report. At this stage of development, we may have some xml files that are not modifiable yet. For the ones that can be modifiable, we have a "Create Module" button in the File menu of the editor. This functionality creates one sample xml per supported type and registers them in the created SubModule.xml file. If you still experience an issue with those xmls, there may be a bug and we can check the exact xml if you inform us. Thanks again. Happy modding.

Thanks for your report. At this stage of development, we may have some xml files that are not modifiable yet. For the ones that can be modifiable, we have a "Create Module" button in the File menu of the editor. This functionality creates one sample xml per supported type and registers them in the created SubModule.xml file. If you still experience an issue with those xmls, there may be a bug and we can check the exact xml if you inform us. Thanks again. Happy modding.

Thanks for the reply, I do believe it is because they are not supposed to be modable yet.
The main part I’m confused about is why 95% of people have no problem but some people have this problem and their files can’t be modded but other people can, is there some kind of code that sets theirs to read only or whatever?

I’ve seen these files in real time over discord screen share and the files (as you say) appear unmodable to them but the other 95% of people it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom