Skirmish Xauna

Users who are viewing this thread

Since Xauna is enbaled again. I am sharing the map overview here:
471399F84E91020EC5CC258EC25C9229B9C527F7

I am open for suggestions about the call-outs.

Edit: Fixed the flag positions

Last edited:
Since Xauna is enbaled again. I am sharing the map overview here:
8E71535448743DE3A17D4EA58CB806F3EA1F0F23

I am open for suggestions about the call-outs.

Definitively the best map in Skirmish mode. This map enforces the use of infantry classes. Cav spam and too many archers arent the way to go, since its a pretty tight map. Skirmish maps should all be tight, thats why its only a 6v6. Why else would a commander send only 6 units to fights other than the fighting spot being very small ? Xauna is in my opinion the essence of skirmish and should serve as a guideline for upcoming maps. Tradepost should be the exact opposite, it is way too open and it makes 0 sense that a commander would send only 6 units in that map. Theres enough room for like 200 units in there, that is not a Skirmish. Please consider making all the skirmish maps "scaled" like Xauna in the future, for it is my favorite map, and i've heard MANY people say the same.

It's an alright map; my cav gets hung up on all kinds of physics jank, though. Still, it's good for in and they deserve a good for inf maps. Don't ax good for cav/archer maps, however.

Definitively the best map in Skirmish mode. This map enforces the use of infantry classes. Cav spam and too many archers arent the way to go, since its a pretty tight map. Skirmish maps should all be tight, thats why its only a 6v6. Why else would a commander send only 6 units to fights other than the fighting spot being very small ? Xauna is in my opinion the essence of skirmish and should serve as a guideline for upcoming maps. Tradepost should be the exact opposite, it is way too open and it makes 0 sense that a commander would send only 6 units in that map. Theres enough room for like 200 units in there, that is not a Skirmish. Please consider making all the skirmish maps "scaled" like Xauna in the future, for it is my favorite map, and i've heard MANY people say the same.

I am glad you like it. We are working on more maps, some of them are going into a similar direction, so I hope you'll enjoy them too!

It's an alright map; my cav gets hung up on all kinds of physics jank, though. Still, it's good for in and they deserve a good for inf maps. Don't ax good for cav/archer maps, however.

Around where does it happen? I know this map is really tight, so its hard for cav sometimes, but I also tried to keep the walls and clutter smooth so you dont get stuck too much. So if there are place you get stuck a lot at, I would love to work on them.

So; I tried to hit several things that had stopped me dead previously; but either I avoided them today or had a day of poor luck previously because the only area that stopped me dead recently (and consistently) was the underground going from flag A to red spawn; right where it starts to upturn again. Should any of the others happen again, I'll make sure to SS them.

xVNHcxA.jpg

Well going full speed in there will probably always make you bounce. The angle seems to be a bit to crazy though, so Ill smooth it out. Thank you!

Came roughly from the direction the arrow is; and got caught on the circled rocks; I think. I hit E pretty fast on reflex because there were some enemy inf nearby. It's not the first time, but it's pretty rare. It's going from red spawn to the ramp, using the terminology from the map in the thread.

pJLy2yZ.jpg

Fixed that spot and some other minor ones too. If you find any more just post them here!

Will probably be coming in with the patch after the next one.

I'm not sure which of the circled things stopped me, but they stopped my cav dead in it's tracks. Spear guy came later, when i circled back around to take SS. I mashed E to get moving again, because it's second nature in this game. If I run into any more; I'll SS and post.

l35hTko.jpg

Hey, I wanted to share some work in progress for Xauna with you, please excuse the editor screenshots!

Just like with Echerion I attempted a new detail pass and adjusted basically every part of the map detail, flora and physics wise.

Trhmy.png

New details and more defined paths

Xauna's gampelay will stay the the same mostly except for one change to the view to “B” from the pond, making it more obvious where to shoot/ expect archer fire from. Also the gaps in the fence around the pit is now finally “shoot throughable” like you would expect it.
ea63y.png

Moved some object at the smithy to make the window to B more obvious from the pond
VqNl7.png

Fence around the pit, that now lets you shoot through its gaps

Other than that there are loads of new details and an overhaul to the paths and stones coming. Keep in mind these changes are at least one beta version away! Hope you'll enjoy it and thanks to all the community contributors whose feedback lead to nearly 100 physics improvements to this map and Echerion.

hjQYk.png

New road texture and blending of objects with the ground mud

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Hey,
Not much happened on Xauna, there has been some quite big changes to Echerion though.

Still I got one exciting thing that I changed. It has become quite obvious that the approach for Team 2 to C has been quite a bit more open than the one for Team 1. They were lacking cover mainly from cav. So I added a new wall structure right in front of the big (arena) gate. Also I removed the ramp leading up to the gate and made it ground level. Debatetly this was a very useful spot for archers, right next to the other very useful archer spot on the small wall leading to C. So now this approach has one less archer spot but more cover from cav, helping out inf on both sides hopefully.
ismZA.png

New wall at C

jqCxU.png

Different angle of the new wall

Also I went over the lighting of the map in many places and dsiabled hundreds of unused probes and out of bounds flora, hopefully helping with fps a little bit more. On top of that small details have been added and the soundscape has been adjusted.

7QQfb.png

And just so you guys know, I made the fences around the pit shootable again. They actually already are in the live version, but the physics might deviate from the visual appearance of the fences a bit. With the new adjustments here this should get a lot better.
Other than that, there was only 1 report about physics issues with the ramp leading down to A from the spawn path of team one. If you find any physics issues please let me know here, preferably with a video or a description of what happened and the location. I am very happy to fix those!

You can expect these changes in the next couple of updates.

Winter version of the map has been added with todays hotfix. Have fun with it and happy holidays if you celebrate it!

Beware of the icy winds streaming through the scene, slightly concealing enemy movement!

SoPTN.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom