Skirmish Xauna

Users who are viewing this thread

Too many glitchable areas used by archers, the main two used are:

The roof of a hut just outside a spawn, the hut placed between B and C, an archer can go to the top and is only accesible by jumping from the side near the spawn.
And some stones above B, where an archer can walk above the stone wall and shoot people from there.

So many simple glitches like getting on roofs, outside the map literally everywhere and weird stuff like that, turn this map into a ****fest. I don't really like this map since it has many areas that indicate they are not usable by cavalry even though you can ride through all of it, even up the slopes and inside the castle.

I’ve also had a few times where I’m riding around as cav on this map (at full speed) and suddenly, on what appears to be flat surface, my horse will come to a sudden stop. I will try to capture footage but the most suspect places are the various cobbled stone ramps, to my recollection.

xauna.png

Please leave all map-related feedback for Xauna in this thread.
Easy bannerlord glitch
Super easy glitch on this map. Surprised no one pays attention to it.

The spawns on this map are quite horrible, the fact they are partly unaccesable and so close to the action just adds a huge random factor. Or is there a logic behind where you spawn ?

This map has severe lighting issues. On higher-graphics, it's too dark on many areas and there is a general depressing tone to the colors. Visibility suffers a lot on all places that have shadows even outside of in-building areas. I believe a lighting overhaul is needed to this map and make it brighter.

So with the newest Beta Patch some major changes to Xauna were introduced. This post is there to list the changes in more detail than we could in the changelog and also give some insight to why they were done and what they hopefully will do gameplay wise.​

1. Overhaul of the middle area (house)

So one of the problems of this map was that the house area caused a lot of problems, not only for the camera when going through it, but also for performance and most importantly for the clarity of the map.​

Now this area is broken up more, the overall layout stays the same, but it should be way easier to navigate for cavalry that spawns inside of it and have less claustrophobic fights happening in there. It also makes it so that the spawn areas are not enterable anymore by having one way drops.​
eA0dC6S.jpg
Overview of the map, facing the former house location.

2. More cover to the two flag areas around the pit

Archers played a huge role in the middle area of the map. That was in part because infantry had very few cover opportunities there. The reason for that was that cavalry on this map was already really limited and with more cover in the middle it means it would be even worse for them.​

So this means with the addition of more cover to the middle area cavalry will have a harder time by default. Still the cover in itself shouldnt disrupt the most obvious cavalry paths and help infantry fight and approach more effectively.​
nDeIHv7.jpg
As you can see here the added cover is not in the way of cavalry paths and slim to not take a way to much playbe space.
NZrBbTF.jpg
3. Changes to the secondary spawns

I already talked about the secondary spawns which used to be in the house above. But also the other secondary spawns have seen some updates. Basically they only have one way out now, through a one way drop. This change although it might seem limiting at first, is made so it's easier to predict where the enemies approach from, making the map more structured. The naming giving X layout of the map is still given with that, but a lot less unpredictable backstabbing should be going on.​

Why are we using one way drops instead of open spawns?

The most obvious reason for that is of course, to restrict spawn camping, which is not only a problem with people getting killed in spawn, but also gives the enemy team a very easy way to block spawn entirely (by standing inside them), so the enemies spawn very far away and might not have an opportunity to reach the last flag. In past iterations of this map, those one way drops however were really easy to abuse for archers, since they had a good view inside an area where a lot of fighting was happening. Now this should be better since the new spawns don't face directly into the middle of the map and new sight blockers have been added.​

However, you can still cover some space from those one way drops, in front of the spawn. This should discourage the enemy team from camping the entrance of those spawns and push the fights back into the main part of the map.​

4. Missing Barriers? Performance + Visual improvements

One main point about this map was that it is too dark. For now I just made the atmosphere brighter, which makes it look a tiny bit more bland but should definitely serve the gameplay.​

Overall, not in small part due to the changes to the big house, the map performance should be a lot better now. This was not only a problem for the player but also the server side. As the next point explains.​

4.1 Why was there such a big lack of barriers in the map?

We got a lot of bug reports for abuse-able spots in the map. It seemed like there were no barriers anywhere and you could basically jump on every building.​

This is actually not right, which is also the reason it took so long to address this problem. There were barriers but they simply didn't work correctly on servers with low fps. This made it really easy to bug through them. So it should happen a lot less often now (with the performance improvements) but until we fix that issue completely, it might keep happening.

Getting to this point and being able what caused it was made possible because of your feedback. So thank you for that. As I mentioned, the reason it took so long to find out, was that it was working fine in our local tests. So I spent most of my time trying to adjust the barriers ever so slightly and redoing them without any sense, cause I thought that was the problem.​

Last edited:
From walking around the map it looks much improved; the added cover on both A and B and the new secondary spawns look great. Thanks for these changes and for the detailed post. Look forward to seeing how it plays.

Eager to check the changes out, it's my favourite map to play on because it focuses more on infantry and archers than cavalry.

This is actually not right, which is also the reason it took so long to address this problem. There were barriers but they simply didn't work correctly on servers with low fps. This made it really easy to bug through them. So it should happen a lot less often now (with the performance improvements) but until we fix that issue completely, it might keep happening.

Getting to this point and being able what caused it was made possible because of your feedback. So thank you for that. As I mentioned, the reason it took so long to find out, was that it was working fine in our local tests. So I spent most of my time trying to adjust the barriers ever so slightly and redoing them without any sense, cause I thought that was the problem.​

Could this be related to a problem I have where I can be galloping at full speed on horseback and then suddenly it's as if I hit a wall and stop? I don't have a powerful machine and play on low settings with a smooth 60fps, and when the above happens I seem to stutter almost.

So with the newest Beta Patch some major changes to Xauna were introduced. This post is there to list the changes in more detail than we could in the changelog and also give some insight to why they were done and what they hopefully will do gameplay wise.​

1. Overhaul of the middle area (house)

So one of the problems of this map was that the house area caused a lot of problems, not only for the camera when going through it, but also for performance and most importantly for the clarity of the map.​

Now this area is broken up more, the overall layout stays the same, but it should be way easier to navigate for cavalry that spawns inside of it and have less claustrophobic fights happening in there. It also makes it so that the spawn areas are not enterable anymore by having one way drops.​
eA0dC6S.jpg
Overview of the map, facing the former house location.

2. More cover to the two flag areas around the pit

Archers played a huge role in the middle area of the map. That was in part because infantry had very few cover opportunities there. The reason for that was that cavalry on this map was already really limited and with more cover in the middle it means it would be even worse for them.​

So this means with the addition of more cover to the middle area cavalry will have a harder time by default. Still the cover in itself shouldnt disrupt the most obvious cavalry paths and help infantry fight and approach more effectively.​
nDeIHv7.jpg
As you can see here the added cover is not in the way of cavalry paths and slim to not take a way to much playbe space.
NZrBbTF.jpg
3. Changes to the secondary spawns

I already talked about the secondary spawns which used to be in the house above. But also the other secondary spawns have seen some updates. Basically they only have one way out now, through a one way drop. This change although it might seem limiting at first, is made so it's easier to predict where the enemies approach from, making the map more structured. The naming giving X layout of the map is still given with that, but a lot less unpredictable backstabbing should be going on.​

Why are we using one way drops instead of open spawns?

The most obvious reason for that is of course, to restrict spawn camping, which is not only a problem with people getting killed in spawn, but also gives the enemy team a very easy way to block spawn entirely (by standing inside them), so the enemies spawn very far away and might not have an opportunity to reach the last flag. In past iterations of this map, those one way drops however were really easy to abuse for archers, since they had a good view inside an area where a lot of fighting was happening. Now this should be better since the new spawns don't face directly into the middle of the map and new sight blockers have been added.​

However, you can still cover some space from those one way drops, in front of the spawn. This should discourage the enemy team from camping the entrance of those spawns and push the fights back into the main part of the map.​

4. Missing Barriers? Performance + Visual improvements

One main point about this map was that it is too dark. For now I just made the atmosphere brighter, which makes it look a tiny bit more bland but should definitely serve the gameplay.​

Overall, not in small part due to the changes to the big house, the map performance should be a lot better now. This was not only a problem for the player but also the server side. As the next point explains.​

4.1 Why was there such a big lack of barriers in the map?

We got a lot of bug reports for abuse-able spots in the map. It seemed like there were no barriers anywhere and you could basically jump on every building.​

Can you get on the main hut in the middle it looks like their is a small bridge going from the glitch hut to the main hut?

I hope not. As I said, the glitch hut should be fixed (as in that you cant get on top of it anymore), but it might still be possible if the barriers fail for some reason.

I hope not. As I said, the glitch hut should be fixed (as in that you cant get on top of it anymore), but it might still be possible if the barriers fail for some reason.
Giving cav super many paths to play just enforces a running around with x. Its extremely stressful for archers and infantry to play vs cav with that many cav paths aswell. In Town outskirts its even more apparent.

Back
Top Bottom