X-Com returns! As a FPS. And there was much crying.

Users who are viewing this thread

I would say if they did an X-COM fps RIGHT, then it might be good. As in, instead of this crap, you actually go on missions as a typical soldier and have to complete objectives. You'd fight in both UFO interceptions and crash sites and also terror missions and base assaults from the point of view of the soldier. Its still not X-COM, but if you're trying to make it into an FPS, that's about the best thing you can do.

All I want is a remake of the original X-COM, everything the same, with some improved graphics, bugfixes, a very good tutorial, and maybe better balancing of the weapons. Then it'd be damned awesome.

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
All I want is a remake of the original X-COM, everything the same, with some improved graphics, bugfixes, a very good tutorial, and maybe better balancing of the weapons. Then it'd be damned awesome.

**** that. I already bought the original twice.

UFO:AI
UFO:ET
Xenonauts

Plus, playing the old one with X-Com Util that fixes some bugs, IIRC. There's your options.

the main feature of the combat was that it modelled flight ballistics
And now 1.13 has added "true" suppressive fire so that currently the game is close enough to a real firefight - for gaming purposes. Okay, I can't give JA2 extrapoints because modders years later added features but I think it's telling that the modders are fiddling with JA2. Or maybe I'm ignorant about the other games since I'm probably biased for JA2.

just stacked the guys with enough TU's for reaction fire pointing in their direction.
While that sounds perfectly feasible written down like that, it really wasn't an option - not all the time. Terrain and  manpower were always limiting factors and it was very possible that one/some/many/all of your guys failed their reaction rolls.

X-com. It was one of the first games I played on the playsation  :grin:

so now its a shooter? anyone know anything about it?

They are hard at work pissing on my childhood gaming-memories it seems; I could also see an FPS-remake of Syndicate on the link above. Sad times.

Candidly, it just wasn't "XCOM" enough for the hardcore fans of the original games at 2K Marin, who serve as our creative conscience. So over the past year, we've made some pretty aggressive design changes, in pursuit of the feelings that we experienced when we played the original games.

Well, that's something.

EDIT: Hokay, looks like a mission based FPS with linear levels, scripted sequences and light RPG and tactical elements. Kinda reminded me of Brothers in Arms. Not huge on the style, though. Original Xcoms military approach > this thing's detective agency & basement scifi nerd gimmick lovestory.

Wellenbrecher said:
Yeah, read the OP. Also this.
The twenty minutes of gameplay might be of interest to you.

thanks  :smile:

its gameplay reminds me of mass effect 2, with squad powers and improvements done through research. tries to be xcom with the time units tacked onto it

Back
Top Bottom