WPL2 Friendly Criticism Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

If it's information that the team members that are alive already know, then why don't they communicate it themselves?

The idea behind a mutual restriction on this type of ghosting is to add a desirable trait of realism to the game-play, in which if you are dead... you're dead, and dead men don't speak. The point is to let the people that are still alive win the round through their own means, much like you would have to if this were real, in this particular case, Sota should have communicated that Achilles was shooting, not Vorn.  Now of course, this is a game, so really you can say whatever you want in ts when you are dead, but this is something that the community back then decided was a good addition to the way matches should be played, and mutually agreed to respect this unwritten rule. At least it was a thing that was accepted back then, maybe it's changed now or the newer players were never told, not sure what happened there. Anyway, I suppose now you could just call it an improvised RP element to matches.

Guaccmoleboy said:
When I die to a cav, I'll still call where the cav is regardless if my screen blacked out or not, when I die to an archer, I'll still call out where that archer is regardless if my screen is blacked out or not. It's just plain stupidity to think that making dead teammates unable to see anything will erase all the ghosting problems.
Fidel Lagstro said:
Ghosting in warband = Communicating any extra information other than the one you died with after you died.
Your examples of the things you would say if your screen blacked out already fall in line with the ghosting meta that has been used for over 5 years now. What you would say wouldn't even count as ghosting right now anyway.

Guaccmoleboy said:
Anyways, Vorn's side calling had zero effect on the match besides being really annoying to teammates, honestly. He's just pointing out information that the team already knows whilst yelling over everybody. wK still would have lost even if spec cam was blacked out, sorry.

I agree, in these particular cases, Vorn's calls were rather inconsequential, and wouldn't have really changed the outcome of the match. But what you can't say is that there isn't a potential for these type of calls to actually save a teammate's life, potentially also in a very important situation, that's the bigger picture, and why doing it at all is scummy if a majority of us still subjecting ourselves to the slight disadvantage by respecting this unwritten rule. At this point maybe we should all stop doing it now?

I know from our own scrimming experience that there have been many times where we just watch one of our guys get slaughtered by someone he did not see but we did (while we were dead), and out of respect of this old traditional unwritten rule, we let the game play out without saying it as it should be, and let him die as the warband gods willed it. Ghosting in this way would have prevented quite a few kills actually, especially on archers that use the zoom constantly that cuts out their field of vision that you don't get to see as a spectator. You could potentially be calling out something on the corner of YOUR screen that they weren't seeing themselves because they were zooming in on someone else on THEIR screen. On top of that, viewing someone from a player perspective allows you to control the Y axis fully, so if they are fighting someone under a staircase, you could watch your teammates back for him, informing him on views he isn't actually seeing himself.

Example
85990CAEECE6043A43177F5D7A9CD620868EA666
3fb364f96b15aeb21658ee2178442589.jpg

ba27aa507277b0b06bcefd13782cf137.jpg

You could literally just let him ground feint against someone and just have a dead teammate that is locked onto him inform him of everything happening on the stairs without the help of anyone else alive, potentially calling out an archer shot that he had no way of knowing was going to be directed at him.

Because of these possibilities, I think the argument "It's fine and not ghosting because you can only see what your teammate is seeing" is flawed and untrue. It would be true if Locked to team member's view followed both the x axis and y axis, as well as zooming in whenever your teammate zooms in, otherwise, you have the ability to see things that he isn't actually seeing. Again, this is a problem because of a flawed spectating system that allows it to happen, so the blame cannot be placed entirely on individual players.

Alright now that the explaining is out of the way... given that enforcing a rule against such ghosting would be difficult and tedious, we could all just take the easier route and dismantle the entire ghosting meta and declare an open season for this type of ghosting. If you see anything helpful through your teammate view, you can call it out now, it's absolutely no longer considered ghosting anymore by any means. Be freeeeeeee! Make the Dead Spectator Class Great Again!  :party:

:facepalm: The lack of perspective is real. The answer to your question is literally at the top of the wall of text. Allowing teammates to only call out things while they are alive adds an extra slight touch of realism to the game, one that I don't see detracting much from the actual gameplay, and no, I don't consider calling things out while your dead using a view other than your teammates exact view as a good mechanic. If you want to help, do it while you are alive. Is it a way the game can be played? Yes. Does it have to be played this way? No, clearly.

I think most of us who play competitive warband aren't trying to Larp, we are playing it in the same sense as we play competitive csgo, which is the standard for e-sports team play. csgo professionals see what their teammates see, and can do what they will in the comms. Which is what I think should be the way way we go about it in warband.

But I may be wrong, I don't see more than 2 people making a big deal out of it, but it seems to me most people don't want a new rule.

Tammo said:
I think most of us who play competitive warband aren't trying to Larp, we are playing it in the same sense as we play competitive csgo, which is the standard for e-sports team play. csgo professionals see what their teammates see, and can do what they will in the comms. Which is what I think should be the way way we go about it in warband.

And is how everyone does it, including wk I bet.

OurGloriousLeader said:
Tammo said:

And is how everyone does it, including wk I bet.

Incorrect.

Having merced for wK and played against them, plus watching Lagstro's recording. I can't recall anytime where they have called out something once dead, other than maybe, "I died to x in y" something like that.

MrNevino1 said:
Having merced for wK and played against them, plus watching Lagstro's recording. I can't recall anytime where they have called out something once dead, other than maybe, "I died to x in y" something like that.
As far as Lagstro's concerned, that's Ghosting. Because you're providing your team with information that they otherwise would not know. Such as the location of a sneaky enemy inf etc.

Guacc looks through a wall in fail vs tk which imo is a bigger offence. But neither are bad enough to deserve punishment or anywhere close to the wordcount this issue has in this thread.  :facepalm: I can see lagstro's point though. The annoying thing about something like this is that if you know the other team is doing major calls after death you'll be forced to do it too or else have a noticeable disadvantage. At the same time, locked spec pretty well solves the issue, and what small advantage you could get from the up/down look is insignificant. Although I hate locked spec and wish we could count on teams not to abuse free spec, I think even the most well meaning person would be tempted to "abuse" the trust with even just one important call if enough is at stake.

Tammo said:

But I may be wrong, I don't see more than 2 people making a big deal out of it, but it seems to me most people don't want a new rule.

On CS, when you dead, you shut-up. Atleast at professional level or semi professional one, because your teammates are supposed to be good enough so you don't have to tell them what to do, nor give them info they can already see. But yeah, Warband being something which isn't professional, I understand it's more complicated.

While I disagree with lagstros/wk's definition of "Ghosting" I do agree that the limited movement on the y-axis, while its not particularly useful, can be used in certain situations to gain an advantage like lagstro and I have shown. I dont know if we can change the fact that we are not locked in one position but if its possible there should be no movement on the y axis just as there is no movement on the x axis. In fact it would seem easy if you locked it to team view first person only. That would solve it but I am not a fan of that solution.

Roberta_Baratheon said:
Oodle said:
Roberta_Baratheon said:
Oodle said:
o suck it the **** up like legit salty af

YOU LOST
Zgcxdlm.jpg
killing afks *screens it*

*ahem* I believe Guacc can testify this was inf training and you all got schooled by the listmaster.
I can confirm this

Just voicing my opinion on the matter here:

The info is readily available to the alive teammates. Pointing it out from the dead/locked spec isn't really giving an unfair advantage because once again, that info was available to them.
Now in the case that a teammate is zoomed in as an archer, (or for some godawful reason playing in first person) then yeah sure, it's info that they wouldn't have, but how would you be able to distinguish between the two.

I think CSGO would be a good comparison here. Teammates often to communicate info to each other from locked spec. If a dead player sees something from spec that was on an alive player's screen, they will most likely call it out (this is ofc assuming that the alive player didn't see it/call it out). There is nothing wrong with this because it was on his screen. The info was there. Now of course this is a different game, but it is arguably the most competitive team based memE-sport out. I've played CSGO with wK_Cradoc himself and he has made such calls.

TL;DR... There is nothing wrong with calling out info that a LIVE player sees because the info is there.

Just to touch on Lag's original post, you cannot hear Matt's voice in his videos so some of those calls might have actually been made by him.

Depends, calling things from free spec is much different from locked spec. That's why we have locked spec in the first place. So let's continue forcing that and no one *****ing. As a side note, I call from dead for alive players in CSGO cause most of you guys are terrible at calling it while being alive.

XeleonPrime said:
Just to touch on Lag's original post, you cannot hear Matt's voice in his videos so some of those calls might have actually been made by him.

In the first one Matt was also dead and speccing Dangle, if he was saying anything,he would have been ghosting just like Vorn. I know this would have been considered ghosting without a doubt years ago, but maybe not so much now. But having played some WBMM on Vorn's team, I've heard him ghosting even while using free spec :razz: Vorn ghosts because he wants to win, plain and simple. I never accused Vorn of breaking a tournament rule (since there is none) or came anywhere close to asking for a punishment, I was just shaming him for breaking the ancient ghosting code, nothing more, nothing less. Check the thread I posted it in. It was never meant to be a serious accusation  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom