WPL2? Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Fietta said:
To be honest donating $10,000 for a tournament in Warband is a waste... Donate it to charity or something. People would only spend their share on **** mercs gold...

You could say the same of any sport or esport. People can spend their money how they like, both in terms of the donors choosing where to give their money and of the players deciding what to use their prize money for.

Those games were made for competitive, this isn't. The competitive scene is solely community based with maybe taleworlds flipping out 2 servers. Warband isn't an ESport and adding a 10k prize pool won't change that. I also believe that getting 30 teams is a total joke. Many low tier and mid tier EU teams may join, all have 120ping and get dominated. Stick with the 2k. Also how it as put in the announcement, it seemed more of NA asking for more money. I don't think the donator would be like 'hey, If you get 30 teams here's another 8k'.

People still are brainwashed, no tournament will be big, Warband isn't big.

I'd rather have bigger sponsor's etc than a dudes money.

People still arguing over it being hosted in NA or EU?

Let me reiterate it again:
It's a NA based tournament. Make your own EU tournament with your own donors if you want it to be EU.

Seriously, stop arguing over this

Also there's nothing wrong with wanting 30 teams. It's a big tournament with a nice prize pool after all

Calamity said:
Fietta said:

What do you think attracts these "bigger sponsors"?

$ $ $

Commitment, if you say that some dude falking out 10k is going to give you a good sponsor then think again. ECS2 with Razer as a sponsor was amazing. This is why people are saying to wait till bannerlord, warband will never get any better sponsor than Razer and that was probably a one off. Bannerlord will have more players, more teams, more sponsors (hopefully) and more competitive. Why are people so impatient, just **** wait for **** sake. Why is all this being rushed into warband?

Benefits of having it in warband:
- New Tournament to play sometime soon
- ?
- ?

Benefits of having it in Bannerlord:
- More players
- More teams
- More sponsors
- More dosh????? £$£$£$
- MAYBE ESPORT???? £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$

Impatient children.

Personally, if we do this, I like the regional idea then a clash of teams in a championship, but would we put sanctions on EUs wanting to play for an NA team? There are many issues that come with that format, but I think it is a lot more realistic for the NA scene to get 12-15 teams(The number of teams in UNAC 6, reasonable to assume with the money incentive we could get 3-6 more teams) and then the EUs getting 12-15 of their own, wasn't ECS 16 teams? If too many teams sign up, specifically EU we could have some qualifying invitationals in place, kind of like a WWC, something short to determine the best teams for overflow. If not enough NA teams sign up, we could just expand the EU division and distribute prize money accordingly.

Those are just my thoughts on a way to make this tourney fair and fun for all :grin:

@OGL The home-away system is a system that should never be used in warband, at least not for a serious tournament that isn't for **** n giggles. While yes, it artificially could "potentially" make matches a bit fairer, it also makes for very **** matches and makes teams play the game a way it wasn't intended to be played for half its duration. On top of that, you are adding so many more random factors like which map is going to be played home or away for a given team that may be weaker or stronger depending on the map. The whole idea of playing with a big advantage for half the match, and a big disadvantage the other half, and seeing who manages to win the most at a disadvantage is a pretty bad approach to a competitive match.

A team should win because they actually won, not because the game crapped out and allowed someone to teleport behind your best inf player and kill him to win the round when he could do nothing about it.

A team full of 10 pingers vs a team full of 80 pingers is still a very playable match because everyone can still play the game just fine. A team full of 80 pingers vs a team full of 130 pingers on the other hand, would be quite a problem, even though the avg ping difference is smaller. That's where your system hits a problem. You are trying to artificially equalize pings, when what you should be doing is trying to make the entire match as playable as possible throughout its entire duration. No one should be playing a match with over 130+ ping, especially not in a finals match, if a tournament allows for that, then it's a pretty bad tournament.

It would be a lot better if everyone could just play with the same ping throughout the entire match, rather than going from 20 to 120 immediately without being able to adjust to it.

On top of that, with so many NA and EU teams, the scheduling would be an absolute mess throughout the entire tournament, everyone would be playing at odd times every other week, something else that separating NA and EU into qualifiers would solve.

Basically... don't try running a serious (and fair) international tournament when you don't have the means to do it AKA LAN EVENT. If you do it any other way, you greatly lower the quality of every individual match that needs to go through this less than ideal system. As far as I know, this is meant to be an NA based tournament, allowing EU teams to play as well, and already being charitable enough to give them Eastern severs to play on.

Snazzelicious said:
They've only said it a million times
no. arys didnt state if the same guy donated the 8k and what he wants to enforce with that money (except the 30 teams thing). things could change, you dont know, maybe arys doesnt know yet but pls stfu about things you have no clue about

Snazzelicious said:

It's a NA based tournament. Make your own EU tournament with your own donors if you want it to be EU.

Also there's nothing wrong with wanting 30 teams. It's a big tournament with a nice prize pool after all
Didn't realise you were the one who donated the 10k.

OurGloriousLeader said:
Teams consisting of west coast americans or east-Europe would play vs each other on NY or possibly UK, make that an admin decision.

This is a match that should never happen without a LAN event, not sure how else I can put it for you. There is nothing else that would provide a proper match between these teams. A tournament that allows this possibility can't be serious and shouldn't be made.

It would be tragic if this situation ended up being the finals match, or any important match leading up to the finals.

I can just see scheduling being a massive mess with the prize pool getting higher because no one here is a full time Warband player and people have schedules. Teams would be too determined to be playing at certain times and days and never make an exception without an admin ruling which to be honest is not always fair. For example we had a team in scramble league that was offering to play 6 days of the week while the other team only offered 2 days. The admin team almost gave the forfeit to the team offering more days until we made a ruling forcing them to play. Turns out they were lying about the number of days they could play just so they got the forfeit from the admins. Things like this would commonly happen I imagine when money is on the line. When you add more money every rule is going to be harder to enforce because people care all that much more.

In my opinion it is an NA based tournament and the EU scene has always gone out of the way to make their tournaments difficult for NA teams so I don't see a point going out of the way for this. In Nations Cup the USA team has always gotten shafted with servers and forced to play teams solely in Europe. Some of the best EU teams primarily consist of UK players so just let them play on the East Coast. It is NA people putting the money up, not Europeans.

Fidel Lagstro said:
OurGloriousLeader said:
Teams consisting of west coast americans or east-Europe would play vs each other on NY or possibly UK, make that an admin decision.

This is a match that should never happen without a LAN event, not sure how else I can put it for you. There is nothing else that would provide a proper match between these teams. A tournament that allows this possibility can't be serious and shouldn't be made.

It would be tragic if this situation ended up being the finals match, or any important match leading up to the finals.

I mean that it would only be played on one server, whichever had the fairer pings. The only home-away system I am advocating is for eastcoast vs WEU, where it would 20 ping vs 90 ping swapped. As you say yourself, both of these are playable.

Roberta_Baratheon said:
In my opinion it is an NA based tournament and the EU scene has always gone out of the way to make their tournaments difficult for NA teams so I don't see a point going out of the way for this. In Nations Cup the USA team has always gotten shafted with servers and forced to play teams solely in Europe. Some of the best EU teams primarily consist of UK players so just let them play on the East Coast. It is NA people putting the money up, not Europeans.

The reason this is an issue is because the money has basically said this needs to be a majority EU tournament, because realistically you're not going to populate it with 30 real teams majority NA. You can state again and again it's an NA tournament and you get to pick the rules, which nobody disagrees with, but it doesn't change the point that the whole point of this tournament being competitive is to have EU and NA playing to make a large and competitive tournament under as fair conditions as possible, and there's better ways to do it.

The reason EU shafted NA in tournaments is because we don't need you.

Viktor said:
Snazzelicious said:

Didn't realise you were the one who donated the 10k.

I'm not, but I'm tired of seeing EUs throw fits about this not being an EU based tournament. Too bad, the donors are NA so it's gonna be a NA tournament

It's like you coming over to a stranger's house and demanding stuff from them when you're the guest

OurGloriousLeader said:
The only home-away system I am advocating is for eastcoast vs WEU, where it would 20 ping vs 90 ping swapped. As you say yourself, both of these are playable.

So basically only when you play against tK? I don't believe there are any other predominantly east coast teams.

Fietta said:
Calamity said:
Fietta said:

What do you think attracts these "bigger sponsors"?

$ $ $

Commitment, if you say that some dude falking out 10k is going to give you a good sponsor then think again. ECS2 with Razer as a sponsor was amazing. This is why people are saying to wait till bannerlord, warband will never get any better sponsor than Razer and that was probably a one off.

I've gotten sponsors for my tournaments with 8 teams and no prize pool, mate. You think I can't get a big sponsors for a $10,000 tournament with over 30 teams participating? Please.

Thunderbeu said:
Not that I really care to much but why does the donor wanr 30 teams?

^

Just to clarify on this, because a lot of people have this question. The donor doesn't necessarily want "30" teams, that was just an arbitrary number we agreed on. He just wants a high number of teams because if there are more teams we become more attractive to sponsors, and if more teams participate the viewer count on streams will most likely be higher. I can go on, but to just sum it up, it's all about numbers man, it all goes hand-in-hand.

yourNotAlone said:
Is the donation from NA and if so, does the donor want this to be an NA based tournament?

All of the pledged prize pool money is from NA players. The donors that contributed to the $2000 clearly stated to me that they'd like for the tournament to be NA-based. However, the new donor, the one who may contribute $8,000 hasn't specified where he wants it based, I don't think he really cares, he just wants a big tournament. But I'll find out today.

Fidel Lagstro said:
The only other alternative I can come up with that could be fair for both scenes would be to break up the 10K prize pool. 4K for the NA side, 4K for the EU side, and 2K for the cross Atlantic finals between them. They would essentially play the role of regional qualifiers, except that since we can't actually get a LAN event, most of the prize pool would go to the winners of their respective regions. And then the final 2K can be won in the **** cross Atlantic finals. And of course, that would mean that a team/players could only sign up for one of the qualifiers. It still begs the question though... what do the donors actually want?

This is actually a really interesting, what do people think about this?

I know I just asked for your guys opinion on a ping-related topic. But before you do that, can you just post if your team is interested in playing in the tournament, you can add stipulations to your post like "Blabla will play, but only if it's EU-based" or "Albalba will play regardless of where it's hosted".

Back
Top Bottom