Wow, weapons&shield on first person view is terrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Ichon

Sergeant at Arms
I accidently hit some button and suddenly in first person view my shield and bow are taking up half the screen. That is some BS.

I have an archery range near me that I go to regularly and when you are sighting down the bow it is nothing like the game shows it.

Not as sure about shields- only lightly particpated in some re-enactments but I find it hard to imagine a shield would block 50-75% of a persons view, you hold it up and look around the edge or hold it down and peer over the top.

It is the most annoying feature I've ever come across in Bannerlord, especially as now I can't figure out which keybinding makes that change.

Yeah, I feel your pain. In Warband I used to always play in 1st person. All the time. But the way it has been done here in Bannerlord is like an after thought.

Like so many other things done by this bunch of utter incompetents.

Last edited:
The main issue for me is there is no center of screen indicator. Bow is offset a bit from the arrow tip to the right and down, crossbow is super low. Throwing weapons you're basically hurling things on intuition lol.

I play in first person since I have a very strong preference for first person over third person - there are many games where lack of first person is a dealbreaker for me even - but it could definitely use improvements.

Riding into a cavalry melee is just praying to hit something. At least on foot I can move sideway and sort of know where I am aiming.

I did notice the bow and throwing weapons were off center, for close and medium range shots it is an easy adjustment but for longer shots the arrow drops extremely quickly.

BTW- I was playing since I came back in first person view but without the weapons blocking the view, just the arrows showing direction and the aiming reticule- anyone know the keybinding to switch between that and weapons?

I actually like having the horses head in first person view, it is a bit large but at least I know which direction I am going at all times. I've hit a lot of trees and other horses when you are turning to aim and then can't quite tell which direction is front.

The weapon sizes are truly terrible though.

I don't have any problems with first person.
There is first person which gives a full screen view and there is first person which puts the weapon, shield, etc onto the screen and moving the aiming reticule off center.

The result is 25-50% of the screen is covered by the shield/weapon and you have to learn to adjust your aim, it also seems to affect distance drop of arrows where out of weapon first person view I can 90% of shots calculate the drop so even if I miss to the side, the arrow is the right height but when weapons are shown the arrows seems to drop hugely faster so that long distance shots become almost impossible.

For now I've switched to 3rd person because I simply can't play in 1st person with the bow that useless and fighting vs cavalry with a shield that blocks 50% of the screen is super annoying when cavalry constantly weave to the left into the area the shield blocks from view. .

There is first person which gives a full screen view and there is first person which puts the weapon, shield, etc onto the screen and moving the aiming reticule off center.

The result is 25-50% of the screen is covered by the shield/weapon and you have to learn to adjust your aim, it also seems to affect distance drop of arrows where out of weapon first person view I can 90% of shots calculate the drop so even if I miss to the side, the arrow is the right height but when weapons are shown the arrows seems to drop hugely faster so that long distance shots become almost impossible.

For now I've switched to 3rd person because I simply can't play in 1st person with the bow that useless and fighting vs cavalry with a shield that blocks 50% of the screen is super annoying when cavalry constantly weave to the left into the area the shield blocks from view. .

Yeah it sounds like a FoV problem.

Does having a polearm on your back still block the reticle when using your bow in first person?

it also seems to affect distance drop of arrows where out of weapon first person view I can 90% of shots calculate the drop so even if I miss to the side, the arrow is the right height but when weapons are shown the arrows seems to drop hugely faster so that long distance shots become almost impossible.
This is actually a separate setting for parallax compensation while in third person. What happens is that in third person--because your camera floats above your character and is angled slightly down--with this setting enabled your bow shots are automatically adjusted upwards to compensate for the offset camera perspective. The result is that at very close ranges and steep camera angles, your arrows can hit above the center of your crosshair, and at typical camera angles your crosshair is "zeroed" at a greater range (i.e. your arrows hit the center of the crosshair further away). In first person there is no need for perspective correction, so it seems like your arrows fall faster when in fact they simply don't have automatic compensation applied to them.

This was always the case in Warband (there was no setting to toggle it off), and the majority seemed to prefer third person because it made long-distance shooting easier. Very few players in MP that I know of used first person.

I did notice the bow and throwing weapons were off center, for close and medium range shots it is an easy adjustment but for longer shots the arrow drops extremely quickly.
If you play without the reticle, it'll just be a hand-eye/muscle memory adjustment! But yes, the models could be somewhat better tuned but I also don't expect a bow to work like a rifle in terms of accuracy.
Throwing weapons are somewhat worse in terms of alignment, it's off-centered to the right and slightly delayed with the right arm motion too.

Back
Top Bottom