Wow the Battle AI is painfully bad :(

Users who are viewing this thread

cnconrad

Recruit
One has to wonder if they have two sets of AI one for the computer when you fight them and one for your troops when you get taken out on the battlefield.

I just had a battle 550 vs 600 i was more than holding my own they were down to around 400 and I had not lost more than 30 men. I got a little overzealous with my couched lance and got taken out by a single sword swing. I then watched my beautiful shield wall of legionaries and mass spread of Sargent crossbowmen that had been destroying the enemy collectively lose their mind. They took the few 20ish Cav I had suicide straight into the mass enemy blob to buy time for my legionaries and crossbowmen form a single blob completely stop shooting and begin dribbling troops a few at a time into the rushing enemy ranks.

I do not know if the computer AI is this terrible, I know they will follow my character around and ignore my army for the most part but I havent ever seen a superior force lose it's mind and Just blob in one spot.

Heck if my troops would have just froze in place or all out charged F3 style they would have done better. How can the AI be worse than standing still or straight up charging the nearest enemy zombie style?

Are there any plans to make another AI pass to get rid of these brain dead cases?

Combat Missions

• Performance
    • AI performance optimizations
    • Formation system performance optimizations
    • Memory management improvements
  • AI
    • Battle formation AI and tactics overhaul
    • Siege tower and ladder usage fixes for AI
    • Additional fixes on siege battles
    • Agent AI combat enhancements

Please keep in mind that these priorities are neither all-encompassing nor set in stone. We will adjust them if the need arises.

Yes

I don't remember it being this bad before. Sometimes they can can do quite well. Lately though they are terrible, especially when you fall.
One minute they can be destroying them then the next you are like "where are my men?". They are running away.
Your cavalry are making suicide runs into the enemy. Meanwhile your infantry are slow walking away from the enemy, then they will walk towards them, then away again. All while getting lit the **** up by the enemy. Your archers are as far away from the enemy as possible hoping they can hit the enemy from there.
If they are not doing that they are having a staring competition with the enemy.

While I'm not exactly arguing for perfect historical accuracy in this regard, it does fit real historical context that when the general or king died on the battlefield armies often went to **** and broke. Not many armies survived the loss of their leader and still fought a coherent and successful battle.

While I'm not exactly arguing for perfect historical accuracy in this regard, it does fit real historical context that when the general or king died on the battlefield armies often went to **** and broke. Not many armies survived the loss of their leader and still fought a coherent and successful battle.

If they fled and died i would have been a bit sad but I could have bought it. But just randomly blobbing just was maddening. A purposeful bad AI decision is ok. If I can understand it.

I almost wrote a similar post, because my nerves were not holding out against the onslaught of after-death AI. For example one time I was about to win a battle, it was mostly cleaning up, got wrecked somehow, and what does the ai do? Literally just puts all of my infantry right in front of the last remaining group of Battanian noble archers, just standing there, while my own archers stood behind the infantry, blocked, so they couldn't fire, and the distance was so close, that they couldn't arc over the heads. Cavalry was spread out and got taken out one by one running into the noble archers, the infantry got picked off by point blank longbow fire, and the archers fled, and that was it! They took out all of my army like that LOL.

That was probably the most ridiculous and infuriating one, but there were so many more.

Just add an option "charge everyone if commander dies", like every mod in WB has.

When you go down are they supposed to be in command mode or are they just charging? Lately I feel like they just charge but I though before they would do their AI maneuvers. Troops need their hands help and their pants pulled up. We need better AI but we need functioning armor too so we don't drop if we make eye contact with an enemy.

Infantry moving in slow motion is due to Shield Wall and It is also giving problems to the AI. For some reason, if units are in shield wall when reinforcements arrive, infantry units get bugged.

Infantry moving in slow motion is due to Shield Wall and It is also giving problems to the AI. For some reason, if units are in shield wall when reinforcements arrive, infantry units get bugged.
maybe thats the reason AI commanders never use shield wall in a field battle. i hope they fix it soon.

maybe thats the reason AI commanders never use shield wall in a field battle. i hope they fix it soon.

It looks like they use it and this is the reason because units move so slow. When this happens for your own infantry units, just F3, F1 to form a like again and your units should start moving normally again.

To be honest I believe the AI got worse, both in 1vs1 situations and in battles, as a result of the performance "fixes"

Yes, not sure if It has been due to performance fixes but I also find the AI worse in general except in sieges where I think It is a bit better now.

To be honest I believe the AI got worse, both in 1vs1 situations and in battles, as a result of the performance "fixes"
No. They could do a perfect AI in a 1 v1 situation without or any performance cost. Probably its just because they changed the way the AI works and they are now working on balance over it.

Back
Top Bottom