Wow, Multiplayer auto-blocker

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's pretty hopeful thinking. 

i can't think of many people within the australian community that will result to using this -- at least existing players.  i can safely say that this thing hasn't been used up until a few days ago here in australia.  however, i do imagine that the knowledge of this will give people a good excuse to complain about them being woeful.

we may just be lucky that our game's community is so small, for once.

Kitten-mew! said:
I don't think that "still get owned" factor will be there in duels, though. Holding down right mouse click will literally have you react and block anything, even through graphical models, and if you stay out of kick range there is no way to touch you.

I think it would take much longer if they stuck solely to duels, but they're still going to get owned by people who can read openings or chamber-block (they still have to rely on their reaction time).

Well, let's just say that this person wants to be a huge trollface *******. All they do is hold down the right mouse button and make some footwork. There are strategies to lower the odds of being chamberblocked or to defeat it for the most part, but let's just assume this person is being a dickface and has decent footwork. All they do is hold down right mouse button and block everything. Granted, this source of fun will run out quickly if you just duel someone else...

MadocComadrin said:
Kitten-mew! said:
I don't think that "still get owned" factor will be there in duels, though. Holding down right mouse click will literally have you react and block anything, even through graphical models, and if you stay out of kick range there is no way to touch you.

I think it would take much longer if they stuck solely to duels, but they're still going to get owned by people who can read openings or chamber-block (they still have to rely on their reaction time).
it's really, really ridiculous man.  you need to have someone try it out against you.  it cancels animations perfectly.  didn't get to try how it corresponds with feinting when being used, but basically it's impenetrable in block/swing/feint exchanges (not considering kicking, outranging, and other means to get kills).

When holding down the button, it will react to all feints as real attacks and follow every single one at lightspeed. That is, there /is/ no opening to take advantage of unless you're behind them (decent footwork obviates this), you've kicked them (decent footwork, again), or they let go of the button and try to attack (circumvented with some practice). It's that dumb.

Kitten-mew! said:
When holding down the button, it will react to all feints as real attacks and follow every single one at lightspeed. That is, there /is/ no opening to take advantage of unless you're behind them (decent footwork obviates this), you've kicked them (decent footwork, again), or they let go of the button and try to attack (circumvented with some practice). It's that dumb.
i meant the guy running the autoblock trying to feint with his own weapon.  i'm not sure how it'll work with that.  i imagine it's a little bit dodgy. 

we had one guy just sit there as he blocked every single feint from the 'best' feinters in australia.  it's clear how futile trying to feint against the thing is.  but it was pretty obvious that he was using it.  with a bit of practice, you could certainly mask the thing pretty well though.

can only hope that this is addressed in one way or another soon.  the fact that it's so publicly known about now makes it even worse.

The most effective way of using it, AFAIK, is to hit the block button at the last second and make it look legitimate while in truth covering any angle you wouldn't have. That way it raises the accuracy of the blocker (as if it needed that...) and decreases the chance of being noticed. Man, I hate this thing. Consider my tournament postponed until we find a way to cripple this horribly.

Kitten-mew! said:
The most effective way of using it, AFAIK, is to hit the block button at the last second and make it look legitimate while in truth covering any angle you wouldn't have. That way it raises the accuracy of the blocker (as if it needed that...) and decreases the chance of being noticed. Man, I hate this thing. Consider my tournament postponed until we find a way to cripple this horribly.

I think we'd be able to tell, honestly.

I came across two people using this on a battle server last night.  I knew they were cheating because other than blocking like pros, they were terrible.  They didn't know how to move or attack properly, they just were extremely hard to kill.  Luckily they sucked enough that I was able to circle around behind them and hit their backs (although they were still blocking side attacks from behind?!), or hit them when they mistimed attacking me.

I really hate this kind of stuff in games.  I went to a DM server afterwards and had a ridiculously high KDR thanks to all the new players that were on.  I actually started feeling a little guilty waiting for someone to accuse me of hacking.  :evil:

Kitten-mew! said:
Personally, I want to trust every single last community member. We're a tight-knit (no matter how you /don't/ want it to be) community where pretty much everyone knows everyone and it's hard to cast suspicion on anyone except a select few for whom we've been harboring our worries this whole time. However, I do want to assure everyone of the fairest level of competition possible; the flaws with this autoblocker I mentioned are not glaring and maybe a ten-minute check before each match would be a tedious but useful solution. I want more of the community's thoughts.

AGAIN. I REPEAT. This was tested in a controlled environment between myself and two people I know and treat like family. Don't test this in public. Form your own conclusions with some friends, delete it, and remain scrupulous. TKC was not involved in this. In fact, because the place is called TKC Community we are already considering changing our tag.

MODIFY: Uh. I have a dysfunctional family, so what I mean is like a good family. >.>

Secondly, I was under the impression you had to close out and reload to set this up. This can be used at any time and in any place, so... ten minute check wouldn't do squat.

MLP? :razz:
Which in spanish means "me la pelas" which that translates to... use google :wink:

My Little Pony. TKC is the original MLP. All those PRT people you see running around are a bunch of copycats. B)

I've only encountered one person doing this and I've been around since beta. I would tell people not to panic or start accusing every good manual blocker of hacking. Like it or not there are people who have played this game for over a year and have done so at a high level play and they are very skilled blockers. It takes repeated behavior and a very good understanding of what is possible in the combat system to accurately accuse someone of hacking, and, unless you have played this game extensively, I would say the majority of people are woefully illequipped to distinguish an expert manual blocker from a hacker.

I apologize for the condescending tone of this post, but rumors and baseless accusations should be headed off as soon as possible for the good of the community.

LordHasek said:
I've only encountered one person doing this and I've been around since beta. I would tell people not to panic or start accusing every good manual blocker of hacking. Like it or not there are people who have played this game for over a year and have done so at a high level play and they are very skilled blockers. It takes repeated behavior and a very good understanding of what is possible in the combat system to accurately accuse someone of hacking, and, unless you have played this game extensively, I would say the majority of people are woefully illequipped to distinguish an expert manual blocker from a hacker.

I apologize for the condescending tone of this post, but rumors and baseless accusations should be headed off as soon as possible for the good of the community.
support.  man speaks chronic amounts of sense.

LordHasek said:

I'm going to assume this was directed at me.  If not, I apologize.

I'm not one of the top players in this game, but I'm good enough to judge whether someone has skill after fighting them for about 5 seconds.  Not to mention the NA community isn't that large and I've come to recognize the really good players.   

Someone that can block a dozen of my attacks in a row despite all sorts of feinting and general slipperiness, and yet can barely manage to land a strike on my shield because their timing is so bad is certainly suspect.  Especially if there are two of them, they both have generic names like Bill and Tom, and they manage to die despite their matrix like reflexes because they can't prevent me from getting behind them.

I've played other online games that went entirely to **** because of cheaters.  Whether or not you've only seen one cheater since beta is irrelevant.  The hack is out now, I actually heard about it on the Steam forum first.  More people are going to use this, because a lot of people are assholes.  Until someone manages to counter it, it's going to be a serious detriment to the game.

Helz said:
LordHasek said:

I'm going to assume this was directed at me.  If not, I apologize.

I'm not one of the top players in this game, but I'm good enough to judge whether someone has skill after fighting them for about 5 seconds.  Not to mention the NA community isn't that large and I've come to recognize the really good players.   

Someone that can block a dozen of my attacks in a row despite all sorts of feinting and general slipperiness, and yet can barely manage to land a strike on my shield because their timing is so bad is certainly suspect.  Especially if there are two of them, they both have generic names like Bill and Tom, and they manage to die despite their matrix like reflexes because they can't prevent me from getting behind them.

I've played other online games that went entirely to **** because of cheaters.  Whether or not you've only seen one cheater since beta is irrelevant.  The hack is out now, I actually heard about it on the Steam forum first.  More people are going to use this, because a lot of people are assholes.  Until someone manages to counter it, it's going to be a serious detriment to the game.

Its not directed specifically at you, but you're mentioning this in your initial post with little but your own word to back it up probably is a good enough reminder that we should try to keep our panic level down as much as possible. That means you Kitten! No panicking!

After reading this entire thread I'm kind of sad.

I knew this was gonna happen at one point.

There have been "aimbots" for warband at one point, but thats all I knew.

There's only one person I'd actually accuse of using this right now, and I have a feeling it's the same person Hasek and Rhade have in mind. I don't see the point in beating around this particular bush since the name has already been posted (including by me) but I'm going on the assumption most of you are too lazy/don't care enough to check and I'm willing to play along because if I don't a couple of trolls are going to start plying their trade in this thread.

For those of you who have played with me, you know I spew a lot of bull**** in vent at times while I play M&B, but most of it's just that: bull****. My mouth runs a mile a minute while I'm playing. Don't take this post the same way, because I mean what I say. I also agree entirely with Hasek: that we should be careful not to turn this into the Salem witch trials.

The hack doesn't circumvent bans, but as the longest-running server admin from the community I'd advise you to warn first, kick second, ban third. Some players might just be trying it out in a less-than-ideal venue to satisfy their own curiosity, and others might not want to be banned from their favorite server for something like this. If they disable it there's no real harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom