• Please note that we've updated the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord save file system which requires you to take certain steps in order for your save files to be compatible with e1.7.1 and any later updates. You can find the instructions here.

Worst ally in World War II.

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
Nah, the Russians clearly take the cake, which is why I went off on the OP.

Let's look at the Russians' "glorious" record, shall we:

1.  Refusing, over and over again, to stand with Great Britain and France during the Abyssinian Crisis, Austria, Czechoslovakia and the Ruhr, even though if they'd at any time stated their firm intention to form a tripartite Alliance against the Fascists, it would have almost certainly avoided the war.
2.  Invasion of Finland, a neutral country, after making a deal with Hitler.
3.  Invasion of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia, all neutrals, after making a deal with Hitler.
4.  Participating in the partitioning of Poland, with connivance with Bulgaria and Hitler.
5.  Did nothing to secure the neutrality or even an alliance of convenience with the Bulgarians and Hungarians.
6.  Hitler invades; Russia is horribly ill-prepared and has ignored all of the clear signals given to it by Great Britain, the United States and others that their respective intelligence services have detected Hitler's massive build-up of forces positioned in a way that suggests invasion is imminent.
7.  Russia loses significant amounts of its territory and a large proportion of its military forces, and is largely saved by the Russian winter.
8.  Spends next two years complaining bitterly that the Allies whose values it had recently betrayed aren't helping it enough, while begging for the Second Front that would have been possible if it had stood up to Hitler at the same time Great Britain and France had, instead of carving up Eastern Europe.
9.  Ends the war with the most colossal betrayal of an Ally in all recorded history, by using every possible excuse to invade and control all of Europe up to the borders of West Germany, then sits on that territory for more than 60 years, using military force and every possible harsh measure to ensure that they could keep their totalitarian dictatorship intact and keep their economy up by enslaving millions and shipping their products to Russia.

And that's not the complete list. 

We're not even talking about the mass-shootings in Polish territory, the story behind the liberation of Warsaw, the horrific things the Russian army did to prisoners or the way they shot their own people who'd been captured because their Commissars thought they might be "infected" with alien ideas, etc., etc., etc. 

There is plenty to be proud of, in the Russian people's determination to defeat the Germans and the sacrifices they made.  There is almost nothing to be proud of, however, in how the Russians fought the war or what their leaders ordered their people to do, or the Russian people's unwillingness to demand that their leaders actually adhere to the things they agreed to, not once but over and over again, with the democracies they fought beside.

So, eh... those Italians... yeah.  I'll take weak and inept ally over the Russian record any day of the week.
 

Captured Joe

Marquis
There is almost nothing to be proud of, however, in how the Russians fought the war or what their leaders ordered their people to do, or the Russian people's unwillingness to demand that their leaders actually adhere to the things they agreed to, not once but over and over again, with the democracies they fought beside.
Now you say that, I remember reading about a big conspiracy in the Russian army, with several high generals involved, which aimed at bringing down Stalin's regime with German help; But the Germans slaughtering Russians considering them as Untermenschen forced the Russians to fight them in order to surfive. Besides, the same book speaks of German generals who confirm that most Russians greeted them as liberators, until the Nazi-guys brought their rece-theories into practise and started killing off the Russian people.
 

wrc

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&S
xenoargh said:
Nah, the Russians clearly take the cake, which is why I went off on the OP.

Let's look at the Russians' "glorious" record, shall we:

1.  Refusing, over and over again, to stand with Great Britain and France during the Abyssinian Crisis, Austria, Czechoslovakia and the Ruhr, even though if they'd at any time stated their firm intention to form a tripartite Alliance against the Fascists, it would have almost certainly avoided the war.
2.  Invasion of Finland, a neutral country, after making a deal with Hitler.
3.  Invasion of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia, all neutrals, after making a deal with Hitler.
4.  Participating in the partitioning of Poland, with connivance with Bulgaria and Hitler.
5.  Did nothing to secure the neutrality or even an alliance of convenience with the Bulgarians and Hungarians.
6.  Hitler invades; Russia is horribly ill-prepared and has ignored all of the clear signals given to it by Great Britain, the United States and others that their respective intelligence services have detected Hitler's massive build-up of forces positioned in a way that suggests invasion is imminent.
7.  Russia loses significant amounts of its territory and a large proportion of its military forces, and is largely saved by the Russian winter.
8.  Spends next two years complaining bitterly that the Allies whose values it had recently betrayed aren't helping it enough, while begging for the Second Front that would have been possible if it had stood up to Hitler at the same time Great Britain and France had, instead of carving up Eastern Europe.
9.  Ends the war with the most colossal betrayal of an Ally in all recorded history, by using every possible excuse to invade and control all of Europe up to the borders of West Germany, then sits on that territory for more than 60 years, using military force and every possible harsh measure to ensure that they could keep their totalitarian dictatorship intact and keep their economy up by enslaving millions and shipping their products to Russia.

And that's not the complete list. 

We're not even talking about the mass-shootings in Polish territory, the story behind the liberation of Warsaw, the horrific things the Russian army did to prisoners or the way they shot their own people who'd been captured because their Commissars thought they might be "infected" with alien ideas, etc., etc., etc. 

There is plenty to be proud of, in the Russian people's determination to defeat the Germans and the sacrifices they made.  There is almost nothing to be proud of, however, in how the Russians fought the war or what their leaders ordered their people to do, or the Russian people's unwillingness to demand that their leaders actually adhere to the things they agreed to, not once but over and over again, with the democracies they fought beside.

So, eh... those Italians... yeah.  I'll take weak and inept ally over the Russian record any day of the week.
Nicely written indeed, but let's try to get bigger picture.
Many of great powers weren't prepared for the massive attacks by Germans, so wasn't Russia. France was overrun in less than two months, same destiny was awaiting the UK but they at least had some aid from the US in materiel and other stuff very important for war, not to mention ships and aircrafts.
So, it seems quite logical that Russia lost a vast territory in the beginning of the German offensive, since their preparation took some time.
I totally agree with most of your post but it seems that it's quite easy to look and judge some things from grater distance, but when you belong to small country and you are in situation when almost all your neighbors are joined Hitler, Russia comes as your very best friend since their troops are your only hope.
And I really don't have doubt which is lesser evil, commies or nazies.

 

Ule

Veteran
Workaholic said:
Nicely written indeed, but let's try to get bigger picture.
Many of great powers weren't prepared for the massive attacks by Germans, so wasn't Russia. France was overrun in less than two months, same destiny was awaiting the UK but they at least had some aid from the US in materiel and other stuff very important for war, not to mention ships and aircrafts.
So, it seems quite logical that Russia lost a vast territory in the beginning of the German offensive, since their preparation took some time.
I totally agree with most of your post but it seems that it's quite easy to look and judge some things from grater distance, but when you belong to small country and you are in situation when almost all your neighbors are joined Hitler, Russia comes as your very best friend since their troops are your only hope.
And I really don't have doubt which is lesser evil, commies or nazies.

Britian had no lend lease from the US in 1940, sorry buddy but for once no matter what hollywood says the battle of britian was fought by britian, the commonwealth and a handfull of polish pilots. if anything nature saved britian from the "blitzkrieg" the english chanel being in the way a little bit.

as for the OP, britian being the worse ally? haha! to quote "butthurt much?".

russia in 1941 was so ill prepaired its funny, the nice "cleansing" of the officer corp helped to **** the russian military more than ought else and if anything the fightback of 42/43 wouldnt off been possible without lend lease, aid and warmaterials from britian and america. which by the way was mostly imported by artic convoys using the british merchant fleet, of which many died to help.

and lets see russia fought the finns, on thier doorstep and the axis after the invasion of thier own lands, britian went to france and declared war because the polsih invasion. poland not sharing any borders with britian so the invasion didnt impact british life much, yet they went to war because of that. they fought in africa and the middle east to protect other countires, and to denie the oil fields from the axis war machine. which in the world of material helped saved russia becuase of the fuel shortage the axis suffered.

so lets see we have, lend lease, artic convoys, protection of other countries, denile of material plus other fronts to take up the attention of the axis war machine. yet russia did nought to aid anybody but themselves only after they were attacked, and your calling britian a bad ally becuase Dday werent launched early? even though in 43 a small Dday type invasion did go ahead and it was crushed with many losses.

**** you dickhead, go read some history instead of wanking all the time.

ps: and by helped the fight back of 42/43. what i mean was lendlease materials helped allow the russians to at least fight back and protect certain manufacting areas, which allowed the russians to increase production of thier own war materials while still being able to give the axis a bloody nose a few times.

 

havoc

Marquis
M&BWB
It was kind of sucky of America to join late, piss off Japan then act like they won the entire thing.
 

Kormin

Master Knight
Havoc said:
It was kind of sucky of America to join late, piss off Japan then act like they won the entire thing.

wait...didn't we? We had big bomb, it go boom. We won war cuz we killed everyone with phallic objects cuz we needed to show that we had big........ what isn't that how i'm supposed to act? being a american and all?

Russia was the worst Ally, not really for the Allied forces. the German soldiers surrendered to Americans because they were afraid of what the Red Bear would do to them...wait we aren't talking about Allies who took a devious pleasure in destroying the Germans? to bad, I am.
 

Gazz1

Knight
Kormin said:
Havoc said:
It was kind of sucky of America to join late, piss off Japan then act like they won the entire thing.

wait...didn't we? We had big bomb, it go boom. We won war cuz we killed everyone with phallic objects cuz we needed to show that we had big........ what isn't that how i'm supposed to act? being a american and all?

Russia was the worst Ally, not really for the Allied forces. the German soldiers surrendered to Americans because they were afraid of what the Red Bear would do to them...wait we aren't talking about Allies who took a devious pleasure in destroying the Germans? to bad, I am.
If there would be no war between Germany and USSR, you think you guys would have won the war?
Russia pretty much won the war, they destroyed most of the German army.
All you guys did was bombing cities, goddamnit.
 

Suspicous Pilgrim

Grandmaster Knight
The "Russian winter saves the day" cliche is retarded. Durr hurr, German tank fuel gets frozen. Well guess what, so does that of the Russians. Urr burr, Germans had no supplies for the Russian winter. Well ****, aren't you guys saying that the Russian military was ill prepared? The fact is, Hitler was throwing troops to go die in Russia that could be better used elsewhere. Had Hitler not concentrated on the Eastern Front as much and positioned more troops in France, WW2 would of dragged on for quite a while.
 

Seltus

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWB
I will give the worst ally award of 1941-1945 to the honourable and prestigious nation of Tannu Tuva.
 

jepekula

Count
M&BWB
Suspicious Pilgrim said:
The "Russian winter saves the day" cliche is retarded. Durr hurr, German tank fuel gets frozen. Well guess what, so does that of the Russians. Urr burr, Germans had no supplies for the Russian winter. Well ****, aren't you guys saying that the Russian military was ill prepared? The fact is, Hitler was throwing troops to go die in Russia that could be better used elsewhere. Had Hitler not concentrated on the Eastern Front as much and positioned more troops in France, WW2 would of dragged on for quite a while.
Well, where they should have been used better?
 

Baron Conrad

Sergeant Knight
NW
I'd say the USSR was the worst ally because they conquered all the countries that the war was started to protect...
 
I doubt there was some country in WW2 which could have been called a "good ally". Everyone did everything only for their own profit. If USSR had superior technology in the start of the war, GB and USA would support Germany, just like their old tradition tells them to - always help the weakest side in a conflict to get as many people as possible slaughtered.
 

Pixel

Archduke
Considering just how many nations were in the Allies, I'd say defining which is the 'worst' is fairly difficult. I mean, you got pretty much every country in the Americas in a 'hemispheral' unision against Germany (except for the Peru-Ecuadorian War), most of which pretty much just sat around and used the phony war as an excuse for various mundane things. Mexico and Brazil are the only ones I can recall right now that actually did anything (Brazil sent troops to Europe AFAIK, and Mexico had planes in the Pacific War). Panama might've also been useful considering the canal. The rest, though...

So, therefore, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Cuba, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Ecuador, Guatamala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, and Bolivia are the worst allies of the hundred or so allied countries.

Oh wait, do you mean major allies?
Well if you only wish to discuss major allies, I want to say Italy (as they did switch sides, I believe). When they were invading Ethiopia, the Ethiopians met Italy with around 300,000 troops with spears and outdated rifles, against a force with tanks, planes, ships, etc. It took Italy 8 months to conquer Ethiopia, while Germany took a small fraction of that time to roflstomp France into submission. The invasion of Greece went very poorly and the Germans had to pull down South to help Mussolini in his land grab, possibly delaying Hitler's invasion of Russia enough for the winter to come around.

It doesn't help that most Italian troops were rather pissed off. Most of them had family living in France, UK, or the USA... and not only that, they were being sent to fight these highly industrialized powers when most of them didn't even have shoes. And I assume most of this was still the case when they ended up switching.


 

Skot the Sanguine

Sergeant Knight
WBNW
Fooshie said:
All discussion is irrelevant; Italy is the worst ally in World War 2. World War 1 as well.

Italy is a ****ty ally.

Absolute truth there...what other nation switched its alliances in not only one but two world wars?  Exactly.
 
Top Bottom