Worried for this games future

Is gameplay an overall improvement to Warband?

• Yes, period.

Votes: 90 22.8%
  • Yes, but some things need adjusting.

Votes: 197 50.0%
  • Its a mixed bag.

Votes: 71 18.0%
  • Despite better graphics / more features I'm having a bad time too.

Votes: 36 9.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

So I finally got to play the game I was waiting for eight years and honestly I think its one step forward two steps back from Warband.

Firstly I want to get out of the way that I'm experiencing massive performance issues.
My computer is a potatoe I'm well aware of that. But It can run Witcher3 on highest settings and even Kingdom Come Deliverance runs
reasonably on medium. I didn't expect it to be able to do 200+ size battles in Bannerlord but instead it gets already curbstomped when
more then five people are in a scene.
I will have to buy a new computer anyways but optimization as of now is horrible with this game.

I wanted to get that out of the way first because some of the below may be partially caused by my bad performance.

The combat feels odd. Not odd in just different as I played six hours now and couldn't get used to it but just odd.
Fighting with a lance from horseback in Warband was (rightfully) the easiest thing ever. Now peasants with their
clubs will outreach my lance and hit me or my horse. Hitting anything with that lance is more difficult then ever too.
One cheese I found to counter this was to gitter the mouse a bit while stabbing. But that can't be seriously the solution
to that. Also I can't seem to get used to the new shield blocking. I have an easier time doing directional blocks with the
weapon than the shield. Often that leads to me ending up as a pincushion for all the archers around. Timing is also odd.
Maybe some of that has to do with my low level character or low framerate though.

And last but probably most importantly:

The game feels like a chore to play.
M&B has always been a slow game but Bannerlord pushes this to the limit of my patience.
-You start more underleveled than ever. -Combat Leveling is slower than in Warband. -Map movement speed is slower than in Warband.
-The Map is bigger and full of Mountains and Lakes you have to circumnavigate and Forests you have to crawl through.
-Bandits are outrunning your party as you reach party sizes large enough to fight them properly.
-Shops in towns are pretty much empty. Finding items you need is extremely difficult.
-You are locked out from entering lords halls even if you are a noble.
-Loading times are long and menus are unnecessarily cumbersome.

I simply couldn't bring myself to have fun with this. And I don't think I would have had much fun even if the performance was good.
Combat and overall gameplay feels like a downgrade from Warband (At least in terms of fun). And alot of the highly anticipated new features seem tacked on and
not well thought through.

If this was three years into development and the devs decided to go EA because of money restraints then I wouldn't be worried.
But it has been eight years and not even the basic features that made Warband good are satisfyingly done?
I don't know where this game is headed.

What do you think about gameplay? I seem to be the minority since 80% of reviews on Steam are positive.

Combat is wierd, I agree. Hopefully its something to get used to.

And not being able to chase down looters is so god damn frustrating atm.
Yes my army is only footmen but come on, spending half a day to catch looters?

Having to re-enter loadingscreens again and again when talking to more then 1 people (through the shortcut) in towns is just plain dumb.

I do feel the game is a bit grindy and they didnt change the game in many ways. BUT I also feel they didnt need to improve on the game much. Warband is one of my all time favorite games and all they needed to do was make it look better and add in mass combat. Upgrade your potato. I have had zero performance issues. i5-8400k, 16 gigs ram, 1070, running on an ultrawide 100hz monitor. Not a top of the line computer and the game runs flawless.

I do feel the game is a bit grindy and they didnt change the game in many ways. BUT I also feel they didnt need to improve on the game much. Warband is one of my all time favorite games and all they needed to do was make it look better and add in mass combat. Upgrade your potato. I have had zero performance issues. i5-8400k, 16 gigs ram, 1070, running on an ultrawide 100hz monitor. Not a top of the line computer and the game runs flawless.
It's not the fps it's the stuttering and crashes.

Have you tried a siege? I think thats probably my favorite improvement of the game. Even if you aren't there in single player, try it out on multiplayer, its totally awesome.

Hi, apologies for your bad experience because of the performance. Can you post or send your specs to me so that I can pinpoint the issue for us to fix in the future patches? Also, with those information, I may be able to give some quick tips so that you can start enjoying the game as soon possible.

I tend not to get involved in forum discussions and have just made an account to reply to this thread.

It has not event been 12 hours since release. I have been playing 8 or 9 hours. I have hundreds and thousands of hours on warband. And I can only say to you that I disagree with you on every point.

This game is the game warband wants to be in my opinion. It takes everything to the next level. The warband we all know and love had years and years of post release development and tweaking. What this team have achieved for an EARLY ACCESS title is outstanding and I truly am excited to see what happens.

The game play is slow but honestly it should be. With some skill and good luck you can get to be a noble within a couple of hours. Especially if you just cheese it.
If it is too hard for you then lower the difficulty. But do not come onto the forums trashing years of hard work by a very loyal and dedicated team. You know what you're signing up for in an early access title. There has been very little testing done on the campaign map. Thats what this is for. In one single hour of early access they will have had more testing done on the campaign map than they would have done privately in house.

This is part of the balancing process.

Also upgrade your potato. No issues here.

I share all of your worries, I must confess and also have some of my own to add to that. The direction the devs have chosen to take regarding the PRG element of the game have put me off from buying it at all and now, watching gameplay videos, I see that the problems warband had seem to have been made worse instead of better... it's truly kinda sad

Hi Murat Türe. Thanks for answering. My computer is absolutely underpowered and as I already said, I didn't expect to get good performance or even be able to play big battles even with good optimization.

But here you go:
AMD A10-6700APU with Radeon(tim) HD Graphics 3.70 GHz
10GB Ram
AMD Radeon R7 240 Graphics Card

Even if my words about the game seem a bit harsh you guys are still my favorite dev team.
Thank you for sticking with us!

Hi,

I have the same issue regarding the performance
I tend not to get involved in forum discussions and have just made an account to reply to this thread.

It has not event been 12 hours since release. I have been playing 8 or 9 hours. I have hundreds and thousands of hours on warband. And I can only say to you that I disagree with you on every point.

This game is the game warband wants to be in my opinion. It takes everything to the next level. The warband we all know and love had years and years of post release development and tweaking. What this team have achieved for an EARLY ACCESS title is outstanding and I truly am excited to see what happens.

The game play is slow but honestly it should be. With some skill and good luck you can get to be a noble within a couple of hours. Especially if you just cheese it.
If it is too hard for you then lower the difficulty. But do not come onto the forums trashing years of hard work by a very loyal and dedicated team. You know what you're signing up for in an early access title. There has been very little testing done on the campaign map. Thats what this is for. In one single hour of early access they will have had more testing done on the campaign map than they would have done privately in house.

Hi,

I also created my forums account not even an hour ago, simply to make my own topic to get some feedback on my performance issues.
But i have to fully disagree with you on this matter.

Yes it has been 12 hours, and yes it IS early acces, but they have been working on this game for 8 years...
Taleworlds is not EA, we are all aware it's a smaller group, but we are talking about basics here, we've been waiting so long, we could all wait 6 more months just to get the basics nailed down and the performance issues prevented.

Im sure in due time all these issues are going to be fixed, but this is a minor letdown.

Hi Googlesearch,

i don't complain about my computer not being able to run the game but about bad optimization in general. A problem which multiple people seem to have.
Apart from that I have 500 hours of Warband under my belt and probably one or two hundret of M&B. Bannerlord is different and wether these changes are positive is subjective.

There are also a lot of features I like in Bannerlord which I think are improvements. But I take issue with the core gameplay being slower und less rounded then in Warband. Also as I already mentioned I wouldn't be worried if this was just another early access. But this game has been in development for eight years. Not having base features nailed down which worked perfectly in previous titles is a bit worrysome.

And yes, I will upgrade my potatoe.

I must admit it's pretty damn grindy, everyone else has much better stats than you where it's pretty unrealistic. I even checked my dead 50 year old parents stats and they were 10000x better than mine, it's really tricky to level up I've already had near 20 battles and I'm still level 3.

I agree with the optimization. I was able to run 500 man battles on big mods on warband with my intel i3 integrated graphics and 8 gb ram. But with that pc I cannot even play bannerlord at all. It won't get past the loading screen. I had to build an entirely new pc for it.

I don't think UI is bad, it's just that we were so used to warband it's just hard to readjust, I keep making mistakes of pressing wrong buttons because it was how I did it in warband, but once I figure it out, it's actually just as intuitive, just takes time.
Also, game being slow and grindy is adjustable, if enough of people will find it not fun, this is why it's in early access, so you can contribute to making this game fun, just voice your opinions in proper manner and you will be heard.

My complaint so far is, unfortunately, solely with the campaign performance.

Every interaction I have takes longer than it feels like it should to load, every battle I’ve had- even if it’s just fending off 6 forest bandits with my 20 men- is too laggy for me to take part in. I have to just command my troops as I get stuttering as soon as I engage my character.

It’s quite odd. Every dialogue screen, fief, or scene takes noticeably long to load. It may be because I installed to an HDD instead of an SSD but I won’t be able to confirm that until I can get my hands on an SSD.

The weirdest part of the performance issues is that I can make a custom battle of 800 people and it runs smooth enough that I can take part in the battle. But as soon as I get into campaign the game becomes almost unplayable performance wise.

My specs are below. I figure I ought to get more RAM and an SSD but I don’t think that explains the HUGE difference in performance between a custom battle and a campaign battle.

Ryzen 5 1600
Radeon RX580 4gb
8GB DDR4 RAM

Back
Top Bottom