World War II Online

Users who are viewing this thread

Vulkan said:
How are the flight mechanics compared to, say, Aces High 2?

Not that it really matters I guess, since I wouldn't be able to play until I move and get a better connection.

not really i managed with my 375 kbs on a labtop...it was kinda laggy on hugeeeee ingagements like when my Squad has to take a French key city...we took it and the British *mumbles* took it back and pushed us out freaking stop helping them brits leave them to die!

Polcherrr said:
Vulkan said:

Not that it really matters I guess, since I wouldn't be able to play until I move and get a better connection.

not really i managed with my 375 kbs on a labtop...it was kinda laggy on hugeeeee ingagements like when my Squad has to take a French key city...we took it and the British *mumbles* took it back and pushed us out freaking stop helping them brits leave them to die!

There is a rather large difference between a 375 kbps connection and a 31.2 kbps connection.  :razz:

Swadius said:
How are the tanks in this game? Are they effective when in numbers with competent AA, or are they sitting ducks to anti-tank artillery and planes?

I played the free trial a long time ago. From what I remember, spotting tanks from a plane is difficult. anti tank guns are very inconvienent to deploy, requiring a buddy to tow you any considerable distance. From what I remember, a moveing tank is a dead tank. It was always best to sit and wait, because your engine could be heard from a long ways off. The hedgerows made seeing very far difficult, so sound was your most important sense.

As far as tactics go, grouping tanks together seemed wise for when they are mobilizing. Rogue tanks and ATguns get one shot before alerting the others. when your solo, that means your dead. When your grouped, it means just one is dead, which usually allows a chance for counter fire.

Polcherrr said:
holy **** go get that fixed.. i thought my internet was ****ty..

Where I live at the moment, getting a better connection seems to be nigh impossible.

Anyway, enough with the off-topic, can anybody answer my question:

Vulkan said:

Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience with Aces High 2 to speak about the flight model to any great extent. However, I am going to go on a little bit of an assumption here and say it is probably like comparing them both to IL2. They are all fairly realistic flight models, with a couple of differences that people either like or dislike. I.e I have heard people criticise the flying characteristics of IL2 saying it "feels like flying on rails," though I cannot really see this.

The only thing I can recall was some pilot instructor(or so he claimed) who posted stating that he felt WWIIOL had the best flight model for actually representing prop planes from the era. Still, I am sure there are those who say the same for both IL2 and AH2.

Honestly, I know plenty of people who enjoy both, so I don't think there is much of a problem transitioning in between the two.

Regarding tanks, they are a sitting duck to air if you have no support, see air quake. However, as long as you have some good AA and some CAP then its not bad. Mutual support and teamwork is the key to any good attack and defense ingame.

However, what they are famous for regarding tanks is the penetration system, wherein there the game calcualtes the actual trajectory of rounds and how it will effect what it hits, so it is possible to say hit a tank but have the round pass through the entire tank without hitting anything vital, in which case no cigar.

Best attacks are really when you have Tanks with infantry to cap the city and to protect the tank along with CAS(Close Air Support) and CAP(Close Air Support) to both strafe/bomb the enemy and keep the enemy air force busy.

Also, AT guns are a slight pain to move but once in a good position they are deadly, which is a nice balance imho.

Spawning location depends on where the mission originates and what type. I.e. planes spawn on the airfield. Tanks and Inf usually spawn in Army depots, forward bases or such.

Below is a link to the manual/wiki, so if you are wondering about something or want a brief idea you can check it out:
http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Main_Page

Pretty plane, yes?:
Ac_de_fw190_a4.jpg

Adding some fun youtoube clips of ingame action(though perhaps a patch or two old):

A) Axis column, courtesy of someone random person:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZoqJQYaTA

I was trying to find some nice KGW pwnage, but I could not be arsed to search too much.

B) Allied Armor column courtesy of the 23rd Squad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlFQwrkFKk&feature=related

C)KGW, rolling, as per the usual turn of events.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTWLSUAXrYM

D) Allied Bomber Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op3Q3nDNqAY

Old(see ancient video, but shows a nice mix of flying fighters/bombing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZdwWFgLwWQ

You spawn at:

Mobile & destructible spawns, which are set up by another person in your Brigade. These are trucks and can be unmanned.
Armybases, giving you the full supply of the town.
Depots. Depots in enemy towns can only give you so many weapons, but allied depots in allied towns have slightly more. They are still less than the Armybase. You can only spawn in depots if you hold that town or the second town in the name. (i.e. if you are Allies and Revin is allied, and Rocroi is Axis, should you attack Rocroi, Rocroi-Revin Depot is spawnable should you want to spawn there. If, say, Jodoigne (I know Jodo is rather far away from Rocry, but ignore it) is Axis controlled, you cannot spawn in Rocroi-Jodo depot if you capture it.
Forward bases should be the same as armybases but can be sapped.

Tanks can be vulnerable to AA or AT, if they get ambushed or a sapper flanks them, light & mediums vs AT rifles. I think AT rifles can take out the heavy tank tracks, but it's a bit risky considering that AT rifles are rather loud and slow. The Bofors is a good all-rounder, good versus inf, medium versus light armour, excellent versus trucks. Often, Axis attacks are co-ordinated enough to smash allies back to our AB, where we just run to the bunker and hope Paratroop or Armoured support will come. It hardly does, or in small numbers.

Oh and Polcherrr: I dislike Allied command, because they favour the French SO MUCH, even the British 1st Airborne is running out of supplies! And that's practically the only Airborne div we use because it has Tommys instead of the random French Cheese & Crackers. Perhaps it's because of the French Shermans.....

Venitius said:
Oh and Polcherrr: I dislike Allied command, because they favour the French SO MUCH, even the British 1st Airborne is running out of supplies! And that's practically the only Airborne div we use because it has Tommys instead of the random French Cheese & Crackers. Perhaps it's because of the French Shermans.....
Not to mention the silly French paratrooper uniforms.  :wink:

Úlfheðinn said:
Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience with Aces High 2 to speak about the flight model to any great extent. However, I am going to go on a little bit of an assumption here and say it is probably like comparing them both to IL2. They are all fairly realistic flight models, with a couple of differences that people either like or dislike. I.e I have heard people criticise the flying characteristics of IL2 saying it "feels like flying on rails," though I cannot really see this.

The only thing I can recall was some pilot instructor(or so he claimed) who posted stating that he felt WWIIOL had the best flight model for actually representing prop planes from the era. Still, I am sure there are those who say the same for both IL2 and AH2.

Honestly, I know plenty of people who enjoy both, so I don't think there is much of a problem transitioning in between the two.

Thanks for the info, and videos.

germans are usually a bunch of newb are a bunch of pros...mostly pros...i love the fact that i will be in a town and all of a sudden a stuka blows up a snipers post in a french ocupied building pinning us down just love that team work....it is really hard to get infantry kills...as a rifle man i got 7 kills the whole 14 weeks i had it...it is really hard b/c most people have all the good classes unlocked so they own u up the butt from over 500 yards..

Polcherrr said:
germans are usually a bunch of newb are a bunch of pros...mostly pros...i love the fact that i will be in a town and all of a sudden a stuka blows up a snipers post in a french ocupied building pinning us down just love that team work....it is really hard to get infantry kills...as a rifle man i got 7 kills the whole 14 weeks i had it...it is really hard b/c most people have all the good classes unlocked so they own u up the butt from over 500 yards..

I am not quite certain as to what you are trying to say(the bolded part). I am assuming you meant they are either newbs or pros(however that is often the case with both sides).

Rifleman is a very good kit once you learn how to use it, Hathcock(a rather good inf player) is known for being ridiculously good with a rifle. Still, with the rather steep learning curve it can take a while to get used to things. Inf wise, you need to learn your weapons but equally important is having good situational awareness(though this applies to all of the units/equipment).

However, you are definitely correct on the teamwork part, the teamwork involved in a good combined arms attack is what truly makes the game shine.

I'm still an LCP, but that's because that since 80 days ago, my computer had problems or I could only log on a few hours on a few days per week. Still, I have a fun squad, just rushed Champ-Mont and Roch- St Hub FB last night with sappers, on the last one some 20 sappers decided to come.

This game looks so cool. I just wish it was a single payment game or free. And not so french... But I can play as the Germans.

its hard not to...just its almost impossible to fly a plane without a controller...or joystick...

and the stuka is even equiped the stuka siren when you dive bomb!

i like the fact if your talking to your teammates and a allied soldier is near you it jumbles up the letters so you can't tell what there saying...

Back
Top Bottom