World of Tankcraft

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm really just asking because I had a particularly interesting case yesterday, where literally every tank on the team went to the east on Southern Coast

Since most of us were slow, lumbering Russian KV-1s and their immediate sequels, I pretty much said 'No' to our SU-152 yelling "Beach!" on the grounds of "Too late, we're in it now," and practically ordered a charge. Chi-Nu-Kai on our team took up the order, added a "don't stop for anything" to it, and overtook me just before contact, sadly, and died for his effort, but I came over second, fired a penetrating 107 shell at an ARL44, broke through a house, and rammed a weakened Stug G, both facing at the first intruder, to death.
1-1, for us.
ARL proceeds to eat our backup's shells while I maneuver around the German husk, and start to advance at a T-150 and KV-85 who failed to get on the hill before our assault. The base is being held at the first chokepoint by our 152 and an SU-100 with the 122 gun (Good lads, those two). Also, one of our numerous KV-1 tanks managed to get back to the base, but we lost two to flanking fire before they managed to crest the hill. Given their position and time of death, I'm fairly certain they had stopped.
As the enemy ARL voiced his surprise in chat, we continued on the offensive, and I fired a shot at the enemy 150, while charging past him and their 85, also assisted by our own KV-85(100, I think). Both are made short work of, but at this point there's maybe three of our tanks left of our ill-devised assault, of at least eight initially.
Me and the 85 proceed to advance to the northern base, but were slowed down by a Hellcat in a prime position for their S-51(only VII on their team) to fire at our rear, and, after the 85 moved into the base to try and fix that problem, I got stuck trying to aim down a Hellcat in good cover while their Cromwell came up behind our advance. So, after a few more mostly failed snap shots, I go down.
At this point, the enemy have three artillery, a soft TD, a soft, fast medium, and a heavy that advanced from the beach. The SU-152 makes a mistake and dies, but then the heavy eats 122mm of armour penetrating soviet fury.
Somewhere along the line, the hellcat and crommie ate it, so now there's three arty, against a TD and three arty, one of which is a badly damaged, FV-304 with a crippled gun, already moving towards their base. Their arty stays mostly in place, allowing our survivors to regroup, and attack their base, removing their S-51 and AMX 13 F3 and cap out their last remaining arty, a Hummel, off the beach. Though, at the moment I'm not exactly sure if he died or not, and I can't play the replay from the same computer as I'm posting this either.

All in all; Lemming? Yep. Bad idea to be avoided? Hell yep! But it probably snatched a stalemate from the jaws of defeat, at least, so as far as damage control goes, it seemed to have worked for as long as we kept up the pace. Shouldn't have spent time ****ing with that cat, though.
Thoughts?

Also: Sold my VK 28.01, bought the Scout Panther, retrained the crew, but didn't have time to gather up enough cash for premium ammo before taking it for a spin. Meet the VK 45.02P. Shots fired: 17.

Well it's taken me a while but I've finally got one of my most favourite tanks, the Sherman firefly, and all it took me was a few somewhat decent games in the stuarts, a rather enjoyable free exp'd grant and a load of fun with the Sherman III 105mm with 60 games played. Now all I have to do is put up with dying really really easily and only being able to use a 76mm gun as I'm quite drained on credits (only have 650k left) and don't have enough exp to unlock the turret or even the suspension, but hey ho at least I got it  :smile:.

I don't really care about battle ratings or performance, now I only collect the tanks that I like and play them for fun. I lost all interest in playing world of tanks seriously and I've started treating it as a more arcadey version of war thunder's arcade mode, even going so far as to completely remove my aiming reticule (aside from the one that shows you where your gun is pointing) and simply relying on me timing when to shoot and when my gun is reloaded, watching where my shots go and using a historical sight mod when in sniper view.

I wouldn't mind the Firefly, but I really don't want to have to grind through another effing set of Stuarts and the infamous Lee/Grant (I've never played the US Lee, but I know its reputation) to get there, especially after recently having to do the Stuart grind to get the Chaffee. 

In other news, the Bulldog with the autoloader is awesome. :grin:

Note: Neither of the Stuarts is a scout, and, quite frankly, I'm getting the second one back some time. That thing with the .50 was a joy in city maps.
Also, the Grant is pretty good with the M3 and if you spent any time at all with the British tanks, you'll already have the alternate six pounder to get to it. Still leaves you with that beatiful profile, but at least you can reach out and touch someone for 100+ damage across sand river.

Personally, I didn't like either the M2 or the Stuart. The Grant however is actually pretty decent, all things considered, and is much better than the Lee.

I did find the Grant rather enjoyable, especially with the 6 pdr. It still wasn't enjoyable enough though for me to play it all the way through as I free xp'd past it to get the Sherman III.

I think I kinda sorta got through most of the Grant on my own. Preferred the M3 on it, though. Seemed to have a derpy "Reach out, and touch somebody," effect.
Good thing I did, though. Snapped and researched the suspension and turret on the scout Panther. Don't have the conical gun, but after a progressively less horrible day with the 10.5, I'm only a few thousand short of it, assuming I don't research the engines first. Cost me about 14-16 thousand in free XP, but at least I'm not trying to fight with a 5cm prickler anymore.
Also, I elited my Sherman III, in my project of finishing up my half-researched vehicles...a few hours later, I torched a decent chunk of my remaining free XP to jump myself to, and buy, the B1. I schmot!

You know how its top gun is on the preceding tank? The one I notably skipped through?
Also, I cut the German heavies loose because the ****ers are effin slow. The first fight in the B1 was on Abbey, and I, hoping to actually see action, charged up the central hill. Only to find out, before I even got to turn towards the courtyard, that the enemy team just plain decided to charge through the pass. By the time I saw any enemy, I only got to kill off a 25hp cruiser III and take it down the engine deck from a Sfl.IV I was never going to reach before the team. Also, I can bounce off the side of a Chi-Nu-Kai turret at the moment! Génial.

Not that I'm bitter over the vehicle's performance, much, but just that I opened up another tank line before closing the current ones, and that I bombed my supply of free experience in the process.

Sidescraping really isn't that hard, I learnt how to do it in my Churchill I and that earned me a mastery badge with it just from doing that a lot. Generally what you want to do in the B1 is slightly turn your tank to the right at a 45 degree angle, that way your howitzer is covered by your tracks (the tracks can and will eat shots without damaging your tank) and your sides are at a decent enough angle to bounce most shots (depending on the tank, doing that will bounce most 45mm guns relatively well). All you really need to concern yourself with is wiggling your turret every now and then and watching for flanking maneuvers once you get the B1 at a good enough angle.

Captured Joe said:
That thing is made for reverse-backscraping!
Too bad I am terrible at that though, so I just charge in and turn 90 grades as soon as I see a somewhat threatening gun pointing my way.
So you charge in and present your entire side to them?.

Volkonski said:
Sidescraping really isn't that hard, I learnt how to do it in my Churchill I and that earned me a mastery badge with it just from doing that a lot.

Yeah, but we're both talking about the reversed sidescraping. Specialty on long tanks with a frontally mounted turret. TOG, B1, probably a few other, though the Tiger P probably need not apply, as it's side armour isn't good enough and it's too short to pull it off without exposing itself as a result. I think you can also do it with either an IS-4, or an ST-I.
It's not any harder to pull off, but on the one time I did try it, it turned out to be kind of disorienting. The fact that we were ****ing around in a Stronghold with togs also made the fight rather fast-paced.

Back
Top Bottom