World News Today, brought to you by TW

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was Kender. But they are also naive and cute etc.
27Kk_.png

Untitled. said:
Urgrevling said:
Austupaio said:
Well, I hope that never bites you in the ass, I do, but I don't put much stock in hope.

I bet some of these families in Missouri casually left their doors unlocked, too.

We've started locking the outer door, which is has an automatic lock anyway but you can keep it half-shut. But a lot of people in this country don't actually lock their doors, or they just "symbolically" lock it with a **** lock when they're out. The idea of being armed when you answer the door, or being so suspicious of people in your town you don't open the door right away when someone rings the bell is incredibly disturbing to me. That's what I find so ****ed up about what you're saying, I don't mean to be rude but I am incredibly glad that I don't live where you live.
Some of the areas I've been moving around in people never lock their doors. If they're not at home, they put a broom on the door so people would know this. Most people also leave their keys in the car in case someone would need to borrow a car. Lately, though, they've had to start locking doors and cars, because of a recent influx of gypsies roaming the area that take stuff.
I think it's really sad. I love that bit of culture.
Same problem here. One gypsy even tried to steal a dog, for some reason. And it bit her and ran back to its owner.

Austupaio said:
This is the part I feel people really take for granted, exactly how many people who are assaulted or murdered do you think were expecting it?

Similar to previous years, violent crimes continued to account for about one-fifth (21%) of all police-reported Criminal Code offences in 2013 (excluding Criminal Code traffic violations). In total, police reported about 384,000 violent incidents in 2013, approximately 32,000 fewer than in 2012, resulting in a rate of 1,092 violent violations per 100,000 population (Table 5). Almost all types of violent crimes decreased between 2012 and 2013, with the exception of extortion (+32%), aggravated sexual assault (level 3) (+9%) and sexual violations against children10, 11 (+6%).
From an article on falling crime rates in Canada, which may seem to bely my point but is that not enough individual crimes to justify something as simple as locking a door?

Anecdotal here, but in my experience and from working/speaking with security and police for years almost all burglaries and home invasions happen primarily through an open/unlocked door, followed by open/unlocked window, with a very far running third for broken windows.

I know most people who were assaulted and murdered probably didn't expect it on an immediate level but from what I've seen with the majority of the few home invasion assaults/killings that have occurred around here, it's been for some specific reason in that the victim knew the perpetrator in some way. Random home invasions and killings, to my experience, don't occur here enough (or maybe at all) in order to warrant locking my door while I'm home. And yes I suppose it is a little leap of faith that could easily and horribly be proven wrong one day, but I think it's a leap I'm comfortable making for the time being.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
I know most people who were assaulted and murdered probably didn't expect it on an immediate level but from what I've seen with the majority of the few home invasion assaults/killings that have occurred around here, it's been for some specific reason in that the victim knew the perpetrator in some way. Random home invasions and killings, to my experience, don't occur here enough (or maybe at all) in order to warrant locking my door while I'm home. And yes I suppose it is a little leap of faith that could easily and horribly be proven wrong one day, but I think it's a leap I'm comfortable making for the time being.

Been there, thought that. One day I woke up, went to the toilet and met two men taking a liberty of going through my stuff in the living room. Fun times.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Well, your call, good luck. I'm not going to be one of those people who wishes bad luck on you for having a different opinion.

I just generally feel the need to elaborate when people question my mildly cautious life style. Especially when it's other Americans.

kurczak said:
Been there, thought that. One day I woke up, went to the toilet and met two men taking a liberty of going through my stuff in the living room. Fun times.
Might've **** my pants if I had that, thankfully-ish, none of my personal experiences ever got that far. I have lost three dogs to petty criminals over the years though.

Did they leave when they saw you or... what? If you don't mind elaborating.

Austupaio said:
kurczak said:
Might've **** my pants if I had that, thankfully-ish, none of my personal experiences ever got that far. I have lost three dogs to petty criminals over the years though.

Did they leave when they saw you or... what? If you don't mind elaborating.

Well, they did leave. After they had taken out their knives. And told me to kneel in the corner, pepper-sprayed my whole face thoroughly, put the knife to my neck, threatened to slit my throat if I moved or made a sound. Then they told me to count to 500 and left with my wallet, notebook, jewelry.

The really funny part is that it happened  when I was with the police, and had various various self-defence and perp neutralization trainings under my belt, doing kick-box three times a week and generally at the peek of my physical condition. But that all counts for very little, as I found out, when you are naked, still half asleep and temporarily blind from the surprise pepper spray attack.

Well, I do lock the door now.

Austupaio said:
kurczak said:
Might've **** my pants if I had that,
But...she just went to the toilet.
*new post*
kurczak said:
Well, they did leave. After they had taken out their knives. And told me to kneel in the corner, pepper-sprayed my whole face thoroughly, put the knife to my neck, threatened to slit my throat if I moved or made a sound. Then they told me to count to 500 and left with my wallet, notebook, jewelry.

The really funny part that was when I was with the police, and had various various self-defence and perp neutralization training under my belt, doing kick-box three times a week and generally at the peek of my physical condition. But that all counts for very little, as I found out, when you are naked, still half asleep and temporarily blind from the surprise pepper spray attack.
Well. That's horrifying. Did they find the guys?  :ohdear:

The really funny part that was when I was with the police, and had various various self-defence and perp neutralization training under my belt, doing kick-box three times a week and generally at the peek of my physical condition. But that all counts for very little, as I found out, when you are naked, still half asleep and temporarily blind from the surprise pepper spray attack.
Wow, that sucks. This may sound odd, but at least they were professionals.

Your average burglar in the states would be way too jumpy (and cracked/methed out) to actually take you hostage and leave you largely unmolested.

Well, I do lock the door now.
Can't say I've ever met anyway who thought basic precautions were silly who had been the victim of a crime. My wife sometimes doesn't understand but at least she's logical enough to learn that it doesn't really hurt to take out the insurance.

Vraelomon said:
Did they find the guys?  :ohdear:

Accidentally, they arrested one of them for minor bs (street fight) six months later and the idiot still had my ID in his wallet. Meth addicts don't make for very organized and detail oriented criminals. The name of the other guy he told them didn't check, the guy was verifiable in prison at that time. He was probably trying to drag a rival down with him. So he was tried for assault, burglary and false accusation.

still had my ID in his wallet. Meth addicts don't make for very organized and detail oriented criminals
Maybe professionals was a strong word... slightly less methed out or better educated maybe.

They were high as a kite, but functional. And also pros in a way. Or at least the one they caught served several separate times for burglaries before. He told the judge he would have normally left asap without confronting me, because that's apparently some burglar's honor code :razz: but because I had a punching bag in the living room he thought I might be too dangerous to just run away from, so he went for what he went as a sort of pre-emptive strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom