World News Today, brought to you by TW

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing is I've been reading articles in technology and economics magazines since the start of the millennium saying that internet "fast lanes" were the next step for providers, glad to see they've been decisively proven wrong, despite the obvious private sector resistance.

"But why do you need a gun? It sounds like you expect something to happen."

Because there are literally terrorists performing door-to-door executions.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/27/us/missouri-deaths/index.html

Austupaio said:
"But why do you need a gun? It sounds like you expect something to happen."

Because there are literally terrorists performing door-to-door executions.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/27/us/missouri-deaths/index.html

It's Missouri. Those could have all been gun battles and no one would have been the wiser. Besides, do you really answer the door carrying a loaded firearm?

If I'm dressed, then there is one on my person, yes. Particularly if I'm not expecting anyone and it's an unusual time.

Mainly though, what I don't do is swing my door open every time someone knocks, I use this thing called a peephole to size up the person if they're a stranger and then answer through the door or only open it partially.

Well, I hope that never bites you in the ass, I do, but I don't put much stock in hope.

I bet some of these families in Missouri casually left their doors unlocked, too.

Urgrevling said:
That's ****ed up. Me and my flatmate don't even lock the door.
:lol:

I trust no one.
My door has double the locks.

I have a ton of knives in my apartment.
If guns were legal in Canada, i'd buy one.

Everyone is shady in my block so i don't trust em.

do you know martial arts or anything so you know how to defend ourself with knives? Or yo just hope that they will save your life if someone tries to rob your house unarmed?

Austupaio said:
Well, I hope that never bites you in the ass, I do, but I don't put much stock in hope.

I bet some of these families in Missouri casually left their doors unlocked, too.

We've started locking the outer door, which is has an automatic lock anyway but you can keep it half-shut. But a lot of people in this country don't actually lock their doors, or they just "symbolically" lock it with a **** lock when they're out. The idea of being armed when you answer the door, or being so suspicious of people in your town you don't open the door right away when someone rings the bell is incredibly disturbing to me. That's what I find so ****ed up about what you're saying, I don't mean to be rude but I am incredibly glad that I don't live where you live.

Bromden said:
You don't "defend yourself" with a knife, you stab some ****er with it. You just need a hand for that, not SEAL training.
This guy gets it.

I always keep the door locked. Not that I expect anything to happen, I just want it locked. Plus I'm in a suburb now  :roll:
Thing is, in this fancy new house of ours, all of the guns are in the cabinet basement, save the .380* upstairs, which is locked in a safe, because God forbid the four year old see it! Point is, I'm going to have to climb those stairs pretty quick and then get the damn safe open in less time than it takes for whoever is at my door to kill me. And if I want to get some real firepower I need to get to the basement, the door to which is on the opposite side of the house.

I'm sure somebody would love to tell me how mediocre a .380 is, but you'd have to take that up with my father who bought it. He mainly just needing something he could carry concealed, and he needed it cheap, IIRC.

Bromden said:
You don't "defend yourself" with a knife, you stab some ****er with it. You just need a hand for that, not SEAL training.
But there must be a secret japanese stabbing in the groin technique? right?

Rebel can't you get a :wink: hunting :wink: rifle?

You need a license to own a firearm over here and even then certain types of firearm are restricted. The licensing process isn't difficult but it does involve background checks and such so many people are unlicensed as a result. Moreover I'd argue the necessity of owning a gun over here largely doesn't exist - Canada doesn't have nearly the same culture of violence that our unfortunate southern neighbours seem to possess. The only people I know who own guns are farmers or hunters. I don't lock my door while I'm home and not once have I ever felt unsafe doing so.

Urgrevling said:
We've started locking the outer door, which is has an automatic lock anyway but you can keep it half-shut. But a lot of people in this country don't actually lock their doors, or they just "symbolically" lock it with a **** lock when they're out. The idea of being armed when you answer the door, or being so suspicious of people in your town you don't open the door right away when someone rings the bell is incredibly disturbing to me. That's what I find so ****ed up about what you're saying, I don't mean to be rude but I am incredibly glad that I don't live where you live
Well, I don't arm myself just to answer the door, unless as I said it's an unusual time, my holster is just part of being dressed, so if I'm dressed, I'm armed.

That said, why would I trust people in my 'town'? I live in a metropolis of around 3.5 million people. :lol:

I'd really like to emigrate to a less crime-ridden, violent nation myself, but it's difficult, especially when so many nations seem to abhor self-defense, finding it disturbing. You see, bad things happen in good places too, just less often. There have been active shooters in Belgium, France and Norway who have killed tons of people, and regular crime still exists.

Czech Republic seems really nice, though. Their laws are restrictive, fine, but self-defense colour of law seems very reasonable.

I don't lock my door while I'm home and not once have I ever felt unsafe doing so.
This is the part I feel people really take for granted, exactly how many people who are assaulted or murdered do you think were expecting it?

Similar to previous years, violent crimes continued to account for about one-fifth (21%) of all police-reported Criminal Code offences in 2013 (excluding Criminal Code traffic violations). In total, police reported about 384,000 violent incidents in 2013, approximately 32,000 fewer than in 2012, resulting in a rate of 1,092 violent violations per 100,000 population (Table 5). Almost all types of violent crimes decreased between 2012 and 2013, with the exception of extortion (+32%), aggravated sexual assault (level 3) (+9%) and sexual violations against children10, 11 (+6%).
From an article on falling crime rates in Canada, which may seem to bely my point but is that not enough individual crimes to justify something as simple as locking a door?

Anecdotal here, but in my experience and from working/speaking with security and police for years almost all burglaries and home invasions happen primarily through an open/unlocked door, followed by open/unlocked window, with a very far running third for broken windows.

Then there's only one solution.

800px-OB_Trap_Swinging_Mace.jpg

Urgrevling said:
Austupaio said:

We've started locking the outer door, which is has an automatic lock anyway but you can keep it half-shut. But a lot of people in this country don't actually lock their doors, or they just "symbolically" lock it with a **** lock when they're out. The idea of being armed when you answer the door, or being so suspicious of people in your town you don't open the door right away when someone rings the bell is incredibly disturbing to me. That's what I find so ****ed up about what you're saying, I don't mean to be rude but I am incredibly glad that I don't live where you live.
Some of the areas I've been moving around in people never lock their doors. If they're not at home, they put a broom on the door so people would know this. Most people also leave their keys in the car in case someone would need to borrow a car. Lately, though, they've had to start locking doors and cars, because of a recent influx of gypsies roaming the area that take stuff.
I think it's really sad. I love that bit of culture.

crodio said:
Bromden said:
But there must be a secret japanese stabbing in the groin technique? right?
Oh, there is. And now I'm sharing it with you.

step 1: grab knife
step 2: stab ****er

Just keep it secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom