Documentation World Map World-mapping for Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

What map sizes have people managed so far?

If i try and create anything bigger than the native map it causes the client to crash.

I can create a map using:
16 x 16
256 x 256

This results in a map twice the size of the native map but at half the detail. Trying to do anything else results in crashes. For instance, changing it to 512 x 512 results in a crash.

What map sizes have people managed so far?

If i try and create anything bigger than the native map it causes the client to crash.

I can create a map using:
16 x 16
256 x 256

This results in a map twice the size of the native map but at half the detail. Trying to do anything else results in crashes. For instance, changing it to 512 x 512 results in a crash.
The node size makes little difference to the editor. Being slow on the uptake one of my earlier maps was 16x16, 832, 256x256. Hardly, suitable for sculpting any detail.
My current map is 16x16, 74, 256x256. To check if it was a resolution problem when my terrain didn't show enough erosion channelling from a World Machine heightmap, I knocked up an alternative version at 16x16, 74, 512x512 without any crashes. It showed enough to suggest that I need a vista normalmap rather than increased vertex resolution.
The most frequent source of editor crashes I had early on was with over use of the undo functions. That suggests memory usage may be cumulative or leaky. I suspect Taleworlds employees used the editor on consoles to a far more powerful server and that, on a pc, the editor crashes when it runs out of available memory.
Hopefully, once a worldmap is built, the optimised tile streaming used by the game will overcome any editor-bound crashes and our problems on bigger maps will be making the ai adapt to them.
PS the Ice & Fire map is a long rectangle. Early on, I had problems getting Vista textures to work properly on anything other than square maps. Hopefully, it's only an editor bug.

Last edited:
Wow, with a node size of 832, that map must have been pretty massive heheh.
I was trying to replicate the size from your guide which was 16x16, 106, 512x512, but as mentioned above could not. 16x16, 74, 512x512 still crashes for me too.
If however a generate new terrain from scratch - when not using the native Main_map, i can create a size of 16x16, 106, 512x512.

I may have a play at my original size at 16x16, 106, 256x256 and see if the detail will be sufficient.

My pc is also not too bad, with a 8700k, 32gb Ram and 1080Ti. So i'm not sure if that's the cause of the crashes or an editor fault.

Wow, with a node size of 832, that map must have been pretty massive heheh.
I was trying to replicate the size from your guide which was 16x16, 106, 512x512, but as mentioned above could not. 16x16, 74, 512x512 still crashes for me too.
If however a generate new terrain from scratch - when not using the native Main_map, i can create a size of 16x16, 106, 512x512.

I may have a play at my original size at 16x16, 106, 256x256 and see if the detail will be sufficient.

My pc is also not too bad, with a 8700k, 32gb Ram and 1080Ti. So i'm not sure if that's the cause of the crashes or an editor fault.
That's a good build. Mine's a Ryzen 7 3700X, 32gb RAM and 8GB GeForce RTX 2070 Super Turing. I still suspect they used the editor on a network as they've used it internally for years, which would have resulted in more complaints, if it crashed too often.
How are you going to jam the oblong shape of Ice & Fire into a 16x16 grid?

More water i guess, hence why i wanted a larger map. As i suspect the top and the bottom of the map are going to be mostly ocean due to having to keep its ratio correct.

I noticed in your guide it was mentioned that rendering of a large map probably wouldnt be an issue, though the campaign ai could suffer. I am hoping with the majority being water, none of those should be an issue as the land mass may not be too much bigger anyway, or at least bigger than expected. I still fully expect the landmass to be 2x the size of native, which is what i would like to aim for. Which is why the 512x512 map would have been ideal.

I will probably remove the outer mesh too as they wont really be needed.

More water i guess, hence why i wanted a larger map. As i suspect the top and the bottom of the map are going to be mostly ocean due to having to keep its ratio correct.

I noticed in your guide it was mentioned that rendering of a large map probably wouldnt be an issue, though the campaign ai could suffer. I am hoping with the majority being water, none of those should be an issue as the land mass may not be too much bigger anyway, or at least bigger than expected. I still fully expect the landmass to be 2x the size of native, which is what i would like to aim for. Which is why the 512x512 map would have been ideal.

I will probably remove the outer mesh too as they wont really be needed.
The Taleworlds documentation points out that we can change the resolution of nodes after terrain generation in the Terrain Property Browser > Node Properties > Resolutions mainly they say for downscaling unused parts of the map - underwater etc.

As a test, I created a 16x16, 100, 16 x16 map. Then using control click selected every node in the centre to make a 10x16 node grid. With them selected I changed their node resolutions to 1024x1024. This also upgraded the first neighbouring borders to 256x256 (to allow vertex connections), the next pair to 64x64, leaving the outside top and bottom borders at 16x16.

rD-i0.jpg

You might be able to try something similar to get to your target 512x512 in the central section. It wouldn't require a full 16x16, 100, 512x512 to start with and therefore might circumvent your crash problem.

If you try it, let me know how it works out.

Last edited:
So I opened the main_map scene and all of the terrain is under water, but the map icons seem to be at their proper elevation.

I lowered the water level and the entire terrain is completely flat. Like a picture.
Thanks for any advice or help!

Edit: turns out I had my folders messed up and the terrain wasn't loading. All good and working now.

Last edited:
Very useful guide, thanks!

It worked pretty well making a new world map (just testing at the moment), and I haven't encountered any huge problems - except for the fact that my new character spawns below the map, rather than on it - for some reason, the Training Field and all NPC's spawn below the map - and they run around below the map, except for when trying to run over a bridge. The only thing I've done is generate a new terrain, edit the Vista texture change the water level and elevation a bit. I've attached two pictures that show the problem.

Is this because I missed a step?

I've been having a bit of trouble figuring out where to upload the Vista texture I want to use. For testing purposes, I've just been using a random texture already in the game files, but I'd like to add my own map - just like you used a europe outline in your documentation.

Can you tell me where to add it, and whether it's enough to just upload it as a PNG, or whether it needs to be imported somehow?

I've been having a bit of trouble figuring out where to upload the Vista texture I want to use. For testing purposes, I've just been using a random texture already in the game files, but I'd like to add my own map - just like you used a europe outline in your documentation.

Can you tell me where to add it, and whether it's enough to just upload it as a PNG, or whether it needs to be imported somehow?
Sorry for the late reply, I've been absent recently. I just import vista textures in pgn format into the assets folder of my mod. Once imported they can be selected from the texture drop down list in the terrain property_browser (vista textures section).

Hey man, I just started modding M&B and making a world map rn
I can only use the paint tool on normal scenes, but when i try to use it for Calradia scene or my custom one (Made out of calradia so i can use the settlements)
I didnt know where to ask this so yea lol

Hey man, I just started modding M&B and making a world map rn
I can only use the paint tool on normal scenes, but when i try to use it for Calradia scene or my custom one (Made out of calradia so i can use the settlements)
I didnt know where to ask this so yea lol
I'm not sure that I understand your question. The editor's paint tool is just as important for world maps as it is for normal scenes. It's crucial for painting detailed normals on your terrain to bring it to life. It's also the optimal means of adding flora (in paint layers) while maximising player fps. It's just too crude to provide diffuse colours. The paint tool paints in crude mesh triangles. Normal scenes are on a different scale, allowing blending and carpets of flora to paper over its cracks. On a world map, performance won't allow as much flora - no breeze driven grass to hide crude and repetitive textures. World maps rely on 16,384 x 16,384 vista textures for ground colour. Even at this high resolution, we're only getting 1k resolution per node in a 16 x 16 map. So, the vista needs paint layers that add detailed normals to the vista normal and area or splatting textures to the diffuse vista.
Unfortunately, at the moment the game engine is heavily locked on tilesets. A custom world map at the moment will have washed out colours in game and only the first layer's normals are blended with the vista normal. Hopefully, TW with respond to bug reports posted on this problem and correct this and other campaign map issues.

Post in thread 'Custom main maps have had severe issues for several updates now'

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I understand your question. The editor's paint tool is just as important for world maps as it is for normal scenes. It's crucial for painting detailed normals on your terrain to bring it to life. It's also the optimal means of adding flora (in paint layers) while maximising player fps. It's just too crude to provide diffuse colours. The paint tool paints in crude mesh triangles. Normal scenes are on a different scale, allowing blending and carpets of flora to paper over its cracks. On a world map, performance won't allow as much flora - no breeze driven grass to hide crude and repetitive textures. World maps rely on 16,384 x 16,384 vista textures for ground colour. Even at this high resolution, we're only getting 1k resolution per node in a 16 x 16 map. So, the vista needs paint layers that add detailed normals to the vista normal and area or splatting textures to the diffuse vista.
Unfortunately, at the moment the game engine is heavily locked on tilesets. A custom world map at the moment will have washed out colours in game and only the first layer's normals are blended with the vista normal. Hopefully, TW with respond to bug reports posted on this problem and correct this and other campaign map issues.

Post in thread 'Custom main maps have had severe issues for several updates now'
I know that it is important. I am trying to paint a desert area (everyting else also doesnt work with painting) I have seen some reddit posts and youtube videos that say it is different painting a world map than painting a normal scene. My quistion is; how to paint on a world map

Doing flora and raising terain and stuff i know how to do and it works

Last edited:
I know that it is important. I am trying to paint a desert area (everyting else also doesnt work with painting) I have seen some reddit posts and youtube videos that say it is different painting a world map than painting a normal scene. My quistion is; how to paint on a world map

Doing flora and raising terain and stuff i know how to do and it works
You need to create a separate 16k vista texture to colour your world map. You will need to create this in an external image editor and import it into your module using the editor's resource browser. Then you need to load this as a vista texture with a plain_white albedo in the property tab of the editor's terrain browser. Look at main_map_area the old vista texture used by Calradia before TW converted to tilesets.
Painting adds normal detail, not colour in world maps.

You need to create a separate 16k vista texture to colour your world map. You will need to create this in an external image editor and import it into your module using the editor's resource browser. Then you need to load this as a vista texture with a plain_white albedo in the property tab of the editor's terrain browser. Look at main_map_area the old vista texture used by Calradia before TW converted to tilesets.
Painting adds normal detail, not colour in world maps.
Thanks man ill give it a go

I didn't get how to import a new vista texture, I downloaded the example world map and I converted it to png before putting into the assets folder but it doesn't show up when I browse for a vista texture in the editor

I didn't get how to import a new vista texture, I downloaded the example world map and I converted it to png before putting into the assets folder but it doesn't show up when I browse for a vista texture in the editor
You need to create your own mod (option in file tab of the editor - needs a restart before you can tick in the launcher for use). Then in the resource browser window of the editor, select your assets folder. Then, in that empty window right click, which brings a pop up window. Choose Import new asset and select your pgn file (wherever it's located).
The resource browser will copy the pgn file into your asset sources folder and compile and save a *_tex.tpac file in your assets folder. The vista texture will only be selectable in the terrain property browser, if it has been imported by the resource browser to create a tpac file, which the game uses.

As stated in it, my world-mapping document assumes familiarity with the scene editor and Taleworlds Documentation.

Last edited:
You need to create your own mod (option in file tab of the editor - needs a restart before you can tick in the launcher for use). Then in the resource browser window of the editor, select your assets folder. Then, in that empty window right click, which brings a pop up window. Choose Import new asset and select your pgn file (wherever it's located).
The resource browser will copy the pgn file into your asset sources folder and compile and save a *_tex.tpac file in your assets folder. The vista texture will only be selectable in the terrain property browser, if it has been imported by the resource browser to create a tpac file, which the game uses.

As stated in it, my world-mapping document assumes familiarity with the scene editor and Taleworlds Documentation.
The resource browser only shows the native module

Back
Top Bottom