Documentation World Map World-mapping for Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm sure we'd all love to see as many, if not more, full conversion mods for Bannerlord as there were for Warband/WFas/M&B. To that end, I hope this Basic World-mapping Documentation will help anyone learning to make a new game world with Bannerlord's Modding Tools.

Please post any errors, corrections or new insights to this thread. I will try to correct my mistakes and include additional information as this becomes available.

EDIT - important notes re 1.6.5 https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/world-mapping-for-bannerlord.432974/post-9759243

Last edited:
Great work guys, thanks for this. I hope to start to see soon some mods with new world maps, or some that make adjustments to the Bannerlord native map (which indeed needs a lot)

Hey @NPC99 I was working through your guide, and I got stuck on the part of importing a new world map texture. I downloaded the world map texture that you linked. However, I am not sure the best way to convert this to .png? I tried to do it with paint, but then I got a size error in the mod tools. If I resize it with paint I'm sure it'll ruin it. What app do you recommend for converting the world map? The error I got said the size needed to be a power of 2. Is there a better size to remake the texture into?

Hey @NPC99 I was working through your guide, and I got stuck on the part of importing a new world map texture. I downloaded the world map texture that you linked. However, I am not sure the best way to convert this to .png? I tried to do it with paint, but then I got a size error in the mod tools. If I resize it with paint I'm sure it'll ruin it. What app do you recommend for converting the world map? The error I got said the size needed to be a power of 2. Is there a better size to remake the texture into?
You can use Gimp as it's free. Personally, I find its interface annoying. I'm using Serif Affinity Photo because I can't get my obsolete favourite Serif Photoplus anymore. Photoshop is probably slightly better, but more expensive.
Vista textures need to be power of 2 so: 4096 x 4096, 8192x8192 or 16384x16384. 16k's best if your rig can cope with them. For the texture I linked, load it up as it comes, paste say an 8k square texture in as a layer on top. Make that mask 50% transparent and move it till it covers the part of the world you want. Cut that bit out from the original map and then scale it up to 16k.

PS remember, it's only a helper, you'll need to edit it a lot or replace it for your final Vista texture to match your materialmaps (erosion channels etc.)

Last edited:
A wonderful documentation of an overwhelming utility. Very good work. :party:

PlushScrawnyConch-max-1mb.gif

You can use Gimp as it's free. Personally, I find its interface annoying. I'm using Serif Affinity Photo because I can't get my obsolete favourite Serif Photoplus anymore. Photoshop is probably slightly better, but more expensive.
Vista textures need to be power of 2 so: 4096 x 4096, 8192x8192 or 16384x16384. 16k's best if your rig can cope with them. For the texture I linked, load it up as it comes, paste say an 8k square texture in as a layer on top. Make that mask 50% transparent and move it till it covers the part of the world you want. Cut that bit out from the original map and then scale it up to 16k.

PS remember, it's only a helper, you'll need to edit it a lot or replace it for your final Vista texture to match your materialmaps (erosion channels etc.)
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. This will help me to figure it out.

I'm sure we'd all love to see as many, if not more, full conversion mods for Bannerlord as there were for Warband/WFas/M&B. To that end, I hope this Basic World-mapping Documentation will help anyone learning to make a new game world with Bannerlord's Modding Tools.

Please post any errors, corrections or new insights to this thread. I will try to correct my mistakes and include additional information as this becomes available.

This guy is THE MAN.

He's answered ALL of my questions...

Screenshot-24.png

Is there a way to mask the sea level?

Say I want a sea around the island my town is on....
but, I want to implement a "pit of death" within my town, but I don't want the water to be visible within the pit?

Currently I have just scaled 2 rivers, to appear as a sea, that don't run through my pit.

Seems that, ideally, I would want to use the sea level, and just mask my pit.

**Edited - this is the picture of my pit of death. I'm going to add either stone or wood walls in the pit, I haven't decided.
But, you can see the sea level water there in the pit... I don't want to kick people into the pool... I want to kick them into the pit of death..

Last edited:
@nsg3 If you use the sea-level system, it will be a flat plane that is only masked by higher terrain or higher meshes. So, either have your castle on a high hill on your island and put a mesh floor in your pit above sea level or drop the sea level to -100 and substitute a waterplane with a hole in the middle where your pit is.

Screenshot-25.png

Ok, thanks. This is my work in progress(still a lot to do), and this was what I initially did to accomplish it. The sea level is at -100. I have two different river prefabs that I scaled. One is very large giving the appearance of the sea. The other is scaled to fit my two ponds I'm working on.

I really envisioned a super city surrounded partly by mountains and sea, kind of in a bowl, rather than sitting on top of a hill.

Anybody foresee any performance issues using the 2 river prefabs?

Screenshot-25.png

Ok, thanks. This is my work in progress(still a lot to do), and this was what I initially did to accomplish it. The sea level is at -100. I have two different river prefabs that I scaled. One is very large giving the appearance of the sea. The other is scaled to fit my two ponds I'm working on.

I really envisioned a super city surrounded partly by mountains and sea, kind of in a bowl, rather than sitting on top of a hill.

Anybody foresee any performance issues using the 2 river prefabs?

Two river prefabs should be fine. Main_map uses 11 water_planes. They're very low-poly and should be the least of your optimisation worries. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom