Workshops what happen when

Users who are viewing this thread

I fail to understand what's the purpose of having shops and warehouses in the first place unless they fix the obscene amount of money that you can get easily by warmongering (which happens all the time anyway) and smithing (don't know if it was fixed now as I don't bother to that either since money is never a problem, but I remember it used to be massively broken).

It's so easy and quick to get way more money than you'll never need, that it completely eliminates the need for an extra tiny source of money on the side. I mean just like many other bare bones mechanics like the alleys, I suppose that if they were to be fleshed out and expanded upon, they could provide alternative playstyles, but the way they are, I can't see the entertaining factor or the benefit of using them.

Maybe dumb question, but I recently returned to the game, and i'm playing the 1.2 beta, but workshops just don't give any money ... half of the time its negative, and then a war happens and if its in a enemy fief I just lose it (even after the war it's gone) ? This "feature" seems like a money drain right now... unless i'm doing something wrong.... #please help ?

I am also playing the beta, and have noticed this. My perspective is as a more casual player. It isn't fun. It isn't obvious. The concept of a warehouse is kinda neat though.

I was able to get, on the very first beta patch iteration, one profitable workshop. But I owned that town; I was at it frequently, and more importantly it was geographically a heavy traffic town. So, the goods moved.

This recent save, started on the recent patch, I cannot get a workshop to not stop producing within 2 days. The town is good prosperity, has no nearby competitor workshops, and had two tied villages where the workshop for that item was not in use! So, wool in an Aserai town, 2 days with plenty of wool in the warehouse and it shut down. I even had my own caravan running out of the town. Goods didn't move. But you have no control over your caravan anyway. So, fine, I tried the other good that had tied input and no workshop, paid my change over fee. Dropped items in warehouse. I think it lasted 4 days.

It isn't just that is doesn't make money. Its not fun and its not obvious or intuitive. This is at a time in the save where my clan is mid tier 3 and as yet not affiliated (merc or vassal). I have only my party reliably, I CAN"T babysit a workshop. Ironically, the more so because I am raising trading to fund my clan. I have to be out there ... trading. But insert whatever else, and I need to be out there doing that at this stage. So regardless, semi-unattended is the only way it is feasible at this stage. I can't even get across the map fast enough to buy the outputs before it shuts down.

So what do I do? Match resources, did that. Have a caravan run out of the town, did that. And it doesn't work at all like you think it will intuitively. Give it more resources even though it has plenty, did that. Buy its output, can't do it fast enough, and would not be fun. Have it dump all output to warehouse and hope it works long enough I can get across the map? Maybe? Not intuitive, doesn't sound fun. And I play factory games for fun! Perhaps I am not supposed to have a workshop yet? That isn't intuitive. And as I have explained at the start of expanding in mid tier 3 clan stage, levelling main character trading gameplay needs are counter to babysitting workshop needs. Which is outright counter-intuitive.

Other things that you'd think might help (that I know won't): Having good relationship with town, having good relationship with other notables running caravans out of that town or nearby.

The when? what? where? and how? of workshops are even less clear on test right now that they are on live. They still weren't very intuitive on live, but I could at least get one mildly profitable before.

tl;dr I have had profitable workshops on the live branch. But either something here isn't working as intended, or it is, and it isn't fun or intuitive for casual players. I'm not even talking running a profit, I'm talking avoiding outright closure withing days. Unmodded, fresh start on test branch.

Workshops are not that bad, and it is still possible to get 300-500 daily gold from them without the player’s help. They do not worth in early game though, and you are going to mostly get money from them in towns with high prosperity and high demand (there are more variables though).

Maybe giving the player more visibility about how much the workshop is going to give before buying it could help. Something like in Warband where you could get a estimation about the workshop production before buying it.

Workshops are not that bad, and it is still possible to get 300-500 daily gold from them without the player’s help. They do not worth in early game though, and you are going to mostly get money from them in towns with high prosperity and high demand (there are more variables though).

Maybe giving the player more visibility about how much the workshop is going to give before buying it could help. Something like in Warband where you could get a estimation about the workshop production before buying it.
Are you referring to current live (where I agree), or current test? My feedback is specific to the test branch.

I am talking about the current beta. In my first playthrough in 1.2.1, I owned Seonon and got 3 workshops there, Linen Weavery, Winary, and Wood Workshop. I was getting 1500 daily from these workshops (900 or so from Winary). I was getting that money when Seonon reached +8K prosperity.

In my current 1.2.3 playthrough, I own a Brewery in Dunglanys. At the beginning , time to time I had to buy all the Beers and sell them in other towns to be able to get 150-200 daily. Once the town reached +5K prosperity, I am gettin 150 daily without any action from my side.

Workshops do not worth in early game, but after some years, they start making some good money, and they are possible the best and safer passive income source aside from settlements.

I think one of the issues (besides wool being broken on this build) is that the economy seems to be settling more slowly than it did in prior patches. I notice it in the prices as I'm going all over trading. 1.2.0 was not too bad, I had profitable workshops. My current 1.2.3 I'm seeing this though. Did you start a brand new save on 1.2.3 or load a prior save into 1.2.3?

I think one of the issues (besides wool being broken on this build) is that the economy seems to be settling more slowly than it did in prior patches. I notice it in the prices as I'm going all over trading. 1.2.0 was not too bad, I had profitable workshops. My current 1.2.3 I'm seeing this though. Did you start a brand new save on 1.2.3 or load a prior save into 1.2.3?
New campaigns.

Here you can find a screen for workshops I have got in Ostican, which currently has 6K Prosperity:

Ostican is not really a great place for getting workshops, I just got workshops there because it is currently the higher prosperity Vlandian Town. The campaign was started in Beta 1.2.3.

I'm wondering if some of this can be save specific. As in, the assignment of workshops to towns, is randomized (I did check for nearby competitors ofc). And then after that (AI) caravan setup and routes are randomized. That would be save specific. So which goods congest, and where, will be very save specific. It may work out in the later game, or not. This save isn't into what I'd call late game economics.

Prosperity and foot traffic feature heavily. But, so do wars. I think something is still off, perhaps in the larger balance of goods (and again, my perspective is map wide trading runs sampling all trade goods in the years just after prices should have settled). The AI choices on when to make war, how long, for what and when to sue for peace have been tweaked. This also is causing changes to demand.

So here is what I can suss out in my save after more testing, in general economic balance. With less wars, overall food prices start high (as all prices do), then settle, then generally start crashing map wide. Spot profits can be made, but more spot-based than before. Grain seems to crash first (great news for breweries?), since it is more map wide, but eventually the others do too. Luxury demand seems in line with past saves (wine, beer, linen, jewelry, etc). Other "gear" shops lack sufficient consumers. With "equipable gear", the prices seem set, so that isn't noticeable, but demand seems lacking. Wool workshops produce no output (verified by sending 100% to warehouse). However, the price of tools also crashes quickly after the economy stabilizes.

My feedback though that sorting this out isn't "fun" stands. I play random rolled characters for the fun of just a different life path. My 1.2.3 save is a no smithing trader. I'm not here to paint the map. The information is just too obfuscated in the UI (the why) even though the what is nicer. I do like the UI changes, this is gameplay. And with no control over your own caravan routes, or your second party it feels like the player lacks agency unless they are 100% babysitting that town and workshop. Warehouses do seem helpful here. It works, but again, my issue is "fun". And I usually like this type of run, and from prior runs I have a feel of how prices usually settle out once the "burn in" period is over.

However, I think there are other economy changes in 1.2.3 that need to bubble through perhaps a few saves. Have you checked overall map wide prices?

Yeah, lacking information is for sure one of the biggest issues. I am far to be an expert on how Bannerlord economy works. All I can say is that after day 600-700 in all my three campaigns I have played in Beta 1.2, I can get very profitable workshops in towns with high prosperity, which I know would be really hard to be attacked. Battania towns are usually very vulnerable, but if the player is helping a kingdom, you can make it very strong and safe. Workshops are awful in early game though, and not recommended at all.

On the other hand, Wine Press is probably my best workshop in all my campaigns, and in Seonon you can get +1000 denars daily if the town has high prosperity and you protect/increase the village’s hearths.

Right. And building the hearths in the associated villages is a help. That goes back to the babysitting. You (with your main party) need to be there to solve the issues. I did try that for a while in my existing save to see how much it helped, but the needs were constant (even with that town at peace). And if I'm a trader I need to be on the road, since I can't raise my main character's trade skill while babysitting villages. So it is conflicting. This can't be solved with your second party, as they can not be directed. And if I am playing as a trader, it is also to my benefit to not involve myself in the feuds of the land. :wink:

Perhaps design is that you don't buy a workshop until you have "settled"? There is no mechanic to indicate this (like: can't buy if not vassal, need X trade skill to buy, need X relationship with local lord, or local notable). Clan tier isn't a good gate, as if playing as a trader you may get a higher clan without being allied or having "settled".

My issues are with the design, as this is clear as mud, and as I have explained, the tasks that game mechanics push you toward in a trading run are counter-intuitive or not helpful when combined current workshop direction on test. I have such high hopes for warehouses too!

Back
Top Bottom