Workshop Madness

Users who are viewing this thread

SpearDane

Recruit
Ok, I've been watching videos and searching the forum. I found a few things but I followed them and I am still perplexed. Many of the tutorials/videos said to buy shops in cities that are supported by towns that supply the necessary inputs. Also the next suggestion was making sure you were the only shop of the kind in said city so you had no competition. And lastly they said to give it about ten to fifteen days before seeing results.

Well, I followed these steps. I even gave the cities extra supplies. But still the shops keep showing 0. Now, here is the weird thing - I just became a mercenary, literally just started. And my daily cost for my men is about 330 or so. Now even though my shops show 0 it says my income is 300? Any ideas why? I tried waiting a few more days. Then logged in and out to see if it was a glitch...but still the same issue. Do you think I am doing something wrong or is should I kick this over to the tech support forum? Thanks.

The workshop meta changes every now and then. It used to be all about wool weaveries, but right now wineries, silversmiths, velvet weavies seem to make the most overall. It's always somewhat location dependent but there are some that rarely make much profit and others than overperform.

Having villages with related inputs helps but it's not the main or only thing, since caravans supply towns too and if you're reasonably close to a source of the input you'll likely be fine, and you can even occasionally stop by and sell some there yourself, as well as buy up the output which will make them sell it for more. Town prosperity and the health of input villages also matters. For the most part the biggest impact though, is just whether you pick one of the better overall performing ones, or not.

If you're a mercenary, you get income from anything that would give you influence. It also gives you 5 influence initially. So your income is probably from your merc contract.

I currently have a brewery in Omor and a blacksmith in Balgard. Both have towns that supply the necessary inputs. Both locations at the moment are in good health and prosperity. No raiding, no war, pretty good right now. I'm going to try buying out the product, selling it at a different town. See if that jogs it like you recommended. And thanks for clearing up the mercenary pay. I was a little confused because it initially said 150 Denars for every enemy I vanquish or something akin to that.

The shops really confuse me...in my sandbox game I was tinkering with, I had four shops and three were chugging along perfectly (brewery, tannery, and blacksmith) they were all out of either Jaculan, Sargot, or Ocs Hall. But my fourth shop, which I followed the same format (making sure it was supplied etc.) just wouldn't produce. After months in game time, I tried switching it several times but it just seemed like it was destined to be a burden because no matter what shop I tried and no matter how much I supplied it still sat on 0!

So needless to say my experience with shops has been a tad aggravating. I'll keep plugging along and try the suggestions! Thank you.

Workshops buy inputs from the local market and sell their outputs back to the local market. If the inputs are available and cheap on the local market and the outputs are scarce and expensive on the local market, the workshop will make lots of money. If the inputs are not present or expensive, the shop will not run. If the outputs are present in too large a quantity and thus cheap on the local market, the shop will not make money.

As was said, exactly which types of shops are best in certain locations varies a bit based on what other shops are in the city and also in other cities nearby. This is because the other shops nearby will make more of the same output which will either be sold directly to the local market if the shop is in the same city or can be imported by caravan if nearby. However, the basic principles remain the same regardless of what type of shop you have.

As far as inputs, choosing a shop that uses inputs from the bound villages is a good starting point, but not strictly required. Caravans might import the inputs if they are made in nearby villages. Also, the total number of hearths that a village has affects the rate at which it creates goods. Theoretically, you can also import the inputs yourself and dump them on the local market. This is especially good if you manage to find them cheap somewhere else.

In regards to keeping the price of outputs high, there are at least 3 things to consider. First, caravans may buy the outputs and export them somewhere else. This will keep the local supply low and the price higher. However, you usually can't count on this because the caravans will generally only buy things when they start to get cheap in the first place.

Second, you can buy the outputs yourself. Just going to the town where your brewery is and buying all of the beer will have an immediate effect on the price of beer and should make your shop become more profitable relatively quickly. Now you have to go somewhere else and sell the beer, hopefully at a profit. (Also, your men will drink some of the beer along the way. That will help morale and potentially give your quartermaster extra steward skill). Keep in mind that the conditions that caused too much beer on the local market probably still exist so you will periodically have to return and buy up the beer again in order to keep your brewery profitable.

The final way for goods to be consumed is for the town itself to consume them. Basically, the local population does buy beer from the market. However, the rate at which the local population buys beer is related to the prosperity of the city. Prosperous cities drink more beer (and use more of pretty much everything in general). For this reason, it's generally better to have workshops in cities with high prosperity. The Sturgian cities all start with comparatively low prosperity. Thus, you should probably plan on returning regularly to Omor and Balgard to buy the beer and tools. If they (the cities) are kept safe for several years (don't get conquered), the prosperity in these cities will gradually rise and they may become more able to consume the outputs of your shops and keep the prices high enough to be profitable without intervention. There is a prosperity level where luxury consumption is triggered and shops become much more profitable because there is a step change in the local consumption (I believe this is at 5000 prosperity if I remember correctly).

The final thing to keep in mind is that shops have their own bank account (their capital). They try to keep the amount in their bank account to be around their "starting capital" which is usually 10,000. The amount in the account can be seen by going to the clan workshop screen and clicking on the workshop. If the amount is under the starting capital, the workshop will not pay you any of the profits even if the shop is profitable. Instead, the shop will keep the money in its own bank account in order to ride out future lulls in the local market. If the amount is above the starting capital it will pay you out some money each day. If the amount is significantly above the starting capital, it will pay you out more each day. Basically, you don't get the profit or loss from the shop every day. The profit or loss goes into the shops local capital account. Then, the shop pays you based on how much its local capital account is above the starting capital. This makes the profits from the shops a little more stable, but also means you need to pay closer attention to the shop since even after it starts having problems it might keep paying you some profits for some time (assuming it was profitable in the past).

Thanks Sanya. I went back to my Omor brewery. Grain, which was in abundance (over 300), was selling for 8 while the beer produced was selling for 38 and had about 25 in stock. The shop was sitting at 0 still. So I bought out the beer, bought some input as well, and the shop after a day generated +19.

I did the same thing at Balgrad with tools and some lower tier weapons. That jumped up to +100 or so. But then, after a few days both went back to 0. I'm going to try starting some caravans in both those cities see if that jogs it a little. Following your and Anodd's advice, I think I at least seeing the mechanics behind it which will help me get the best results.

SanyaBeli has all the important points you need to look at for a successful workshop.
One correction I have is that Luxury Demand kicks in at 3000 Prosperity. The higher the prosperity is over 3000 the better, since the difference is a multiplier for that demand.

If you are on The beta you can drop supplies in your warehouse. If you fill it up your workshop will turn decent profit and your outputs will be on the market for stupid cheap, you can buy really lower and sell really high.

Back
Top Bottom