Working past midnight

Users who are viewing this thread

Not unless you sign a contract lol.
It's mostly semantics I guess. If you are in crunch time 2 weeks before release, with a cruel boss, a big publisher and shareholders in your back, working past midnight is probably not voluntary unless you like risking your job.

But Taleworlds is in a different situation. They have no obligation to work as fast and hard as possible and when they do it's just because they are enthusiastic about the game and enjoy their work. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of pressure and I believe Armagan is a pretty relaxed boss.

On the flip side it means they are probably not as efficient and focused as other studios but I doubt the game would be any better if it was developed by EA or some other company. Maybe they would've released it 4 years ago but it would be so uninspired and generic that people would forget about it 1 year later. I am playing M&B since 10 years and I can't say that about any other game, so I guess they must do at least something right.

I was actually agreeing with what you are saying :smile: they do this because they want to, they are not getting any extra money out of it. Boss pressure could be a thing, sure, but no one will be pressured into doing something like that on a regular basis unless they want to.
Sorry, I read that completely differently.
It was a long day... :wink:

Its so weird to see people turn a a positive point of an observation of overtime into negativity.

Like seriously how screwed up is your life that you need to **** on an objectively positive sacrifice. I'm overly critical but the only way of seeing a man work till midnight, is sacrifice.
Your entitlement is beyond cringe and it oozes of poor character.

I've commented dozens of times of what taleworlds is doing wrong but how ****ed up is your life that you **** on another man working till midnight. Have none of you worked long hours before? Its garbage and if you don't know or understand it then you're privileged or lack understanding.

No ot is worth working that many hours... and i do it every year(forced) and you quickly learn that time and energy isn't worth the money.

not sure if thats not one of their problems, i saw azhak work till way past midnight. There were a lot of screw ups that are caused by this.
It was an internal test at midnight not a coding journey.

Last edited:
People who are hyper critical here have likely never set out to create anything, (be it art, software ect) in their lives, yet sit around on the couch all day and demand others work harder and harder to create complex software. Even when they explain the code needs maintenance (you know, so they can actually continue to work on it, as they've demanded every single day on the forums) people STILL complain. I sincerely hope these people never set out on any creative endeavor, I'd hate for them to run into people like themselves.

Its so weird to see people turn a a positive point of an observation of overtime into negativity.

Like seriously how screwed up is your life that you need to **** on an objectively positive sacrifice. I'm overly critical but the only way of seeing a man work till midnight, is sacrifice.
Your entitlement is beyond cringe and it oozes of poor character.

I've commented dozens of times of what taleworlds is doing wrong but how ****ed up is your life that you **** on another man working till midnight. Have none of you worked long hours before? Its garbage and if you don't know or understand it then you're privileged or lack understanding.

No ot is worth working that many hours... and i do it every year(forced) and you quickly learn that time and energy isn't worth the money.

It was an internal test at midnight not a coding journey.

+1

The last weeks I need to take longer breaks from reading in the "General Discussion" section, because I’m getting sick of those approximately 5-10 guys that jump on nearly every post ranting, mocking the developers or demanding "more communication" and "new features". And if a dev makes a post, the same group attacks them, calls them out, mocks them, twists their statements, etc. It’s obvious those people don't have any development or design experience to give solid argument, but it's also clear: they don't even care about serious discussion or just having a good time trolling.

Sometimes when reading this forum, I wished, that TW would handle those extremely negative post the way EA or Blizzard does. But on the other hand, I’m no fan of censorship either. Kudos to the moderators and TW for making an open discussion possible, not every developer would tolerate this.

Though... In one point I must admit, I'm agreeing with them: the communication could be optimized. Not by laying out a detailed action plan an including users in every design decision, as they demand, but a bit regularly status updates and more complete change logs would be a nice start and would show the progress far better than these shortened changelogs. If you compare the changelogs to the techsupport section on the forum you actually can see quite a different progress than what can be seen in the changelogs . If they additionally take feedback from the users it's great, but we must not forget it is still their vision and their game.

Being a senior developer myself, I have quite the sympathy for devs, that realize that their code is so "bad" that a major refactoring is necessary. This is a huge but vital decision. Many apps and games stall or even fail because the devs hang on to ****ty code. Demands for "fixing" placeholders like the perks or huge new features in such a situation, make just no sense. They must fix the basics first.

If you don't get this, don't have the patience to stick around EA or are not willing to contribute with solid feedback then please: wait for full release or quit. Just don’t spread this negativity here. (Not that a troll would listen to this.)

+1

The last weeks I need to take longer breaks from reading in the "General Discussion" section, because I’m getting sick of those approximately 5-10 guys that jump on nearly every post ranting, mocking the developers or demanding "more communication" and "new features". And if a dev makes a post, the same group attacks them, calls them out, mocks them, twists their statements, etc. It’s obvious those people don't have any development or design experience to give solid argument, but it's also clear: they don't even care about serious discussion or just having a good time trolling.

Sometimes when reading this forum, I wished, that TW would handle those extremely negative post the way EA or Blizzard does. But on the other hand, I’m no fan of censorship either. Kudos to the moderators and TW for making an open discussion possible, not every developer would tolerate this.

Though... In one point I must admit, I'm agreeing with them: the communication could be optimized. Not by laying out a detailed action plan an including users in every design decision, as they demand, but a bit regularly status updates and more complete change logs would be a nice start and would show the progress far better than these shortened changelogs. If you compare the changelogs to the techsupport section on the forum you actually can see quite a different progress than what can be seen in the changelogs . If they additionally take feedback from the users it's great, but we must not forget it is still their vision and their game.

Being a senior developer myself, I have quite the sympathy for devs, that realize that their code is so "bad" that a major refactoring is necessary. This is a huge but vital decision. Many apps and games stall or even fail because the devs hang on to ****ty code. Demands for "fixing" placeholders like the perks or huge new features in such a situation, make just no sense. They must fix the basics first.

If you don't get this, don't have the patience to stick around EA or are not willing to contribute with solid feedback then please: wait for full release or quit. Just don’t spread this negativity here. (Not that a troll would listen to this.)
As soon as I see a thread title that looks positive, I know as soon as I click in I'll see the same disgruntled posters spewing negativity all over it.

I don't get people that can devote so much of their time into something they clearly hate or makes them so mad.

They deserve credit for their work, yes indeed, BUT the problem is we don't know what they are actually working on. I literally just posted this on another thread,

''I think you should put 'Communication' in the polls. This is their biggest problem with the game that they need to fix asap.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, have over 600hrs on it without mods but it's been 1 month since the last big patch and yet you can't find the slightest clue as to why a new patch isn't out, what they are working on, what problems they are facing, or any sort of updates on their forums easily, if there are at all...
They might have replied to some threads with minimal answers but most players probably don't come onto the forums let alone go into each and every thread to look for developers replies.

An early access game doesn't have to be updated often and doesn't have to be amazingly perfect, but the key to keep players interested is communication and letting the players know you are still working and you are still trying to solve issues and what those things are.

Right now, players are left guessing and making rumors. Communicating with us every now and then through their Steam page like the 'Early Access Update (19/06)' or even on pinned threads so we can find it easier when we look for it and tell us what they are working on will bring so much more peace of mind for their dedicated players. It doesn't have to be extremely long but it does need information, the reason why a lot players are angry is because they enjoy the game but they are being left in the dark after spending such a high amount of money on an early access game.

Just like this thread, players are hoping for what the devs will work on next, but we probably won't find out what they are and will work on with their current (lack of) communication style.''

Original thread page:

I certainly don't like the game in its current state (although its been a few weeks since I bothered with single player). Actually, I think it sucks.

But I've been playing since Zendar, and I am 100% behind this crew. I really think this is a passion project, and these guys are doing all they can to make this game great.

But the problem with passion projects is that they sometimes don't clue into realities. Block delay, class system etc. might have looked good on paper, but it's just not working, and I think they are finally realizing it.

We've all seen the extreme drop in players after the first month, but I think most of those players are like me: we believe the game sucks, but we also trust the devs to stay at it and fix it.

And if they don't, modders will fix it once we get customizable servers.

If you are working past midnight it actually is voluntary work.

Just being devil's advocate for a sec, but it's not technically voluntary if you're being paid for it. Also, this could be crunch so we have no idea if it's voluntary or not.

That aside, I recognise it for what it is (hard work) and salute it.

Just being devil's advocate for a sec, but it's not technically voluntary if you're being paid for it. Also, this could be crunch so we have no idea if it's voluntary or not.

That aside, I recognise it for what it is (hard work) and salute it.
Agreed, I already clarified that in another post. :wink:

They deserve credit for their work, yes indeed, BUT the problem is we don't know what they are actually working on. I literally just posted this on another thread,

''I think you should put 'Communication' in the polls. This is their biggest problem with the game that they need to fix asap.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, have over 600hrs on it without mods but it's been 1 month since the last big patch and yet you can't find the slightest clue as to why a new patch isn't out, what they are working on, what problems they are facing, or any sort of updates on their forums easily, if there are at all...
They might have replied to some threads with minimal answers but most players probably don't come onto the forums let alone go into each and every thread to look for developers replies.

An early access game doesn't have to be updated often and doesn't have to be amazingly perfect, but the key to keep players interested is communication and letting the players know you are still working and you are still trying to solve issues and what those things are.

Right now, players are left guessing and making rumors. Communicating with us every now and then through their Steam page like the 'Early Access Update (19/06)' or even on pinned threads so we can find it easier when we look for it and tell us what they are working on will bring so much more peace of mind for their dedicated players. It doesn't have to be extremely long but it does need information, the reason why a lot players are angry is because they enjoy the game but they are being left in the dark after spending such a high amount of money on an early access game.

Just like this thread, players are hoping for what the devs will work on next, but we probably won't find out what they are and will work on with their current (lack of) communication style.''

Original thread page:
Cool, great , thanks, i agree. This thread was about one thing and it wasnt about anything else.

Ive stated much of what you stated but its off topic. This was meant to be a simple short positive thread. Not a thread about communication problems.

Last edited:
As soon as I see a thread title that looks positive, I know as soon as I click in I'll see the same disgruntled posters spewing negativity all over it.

I don't get people that can devote so much of their time into something they clearly hate or makes them so mad.

Maybe everyone already know this, but I found the Ignore button on members' profile page. It has made my visits here oh so much better after I could disregard certain disgruntled persons.

Still, if you messed up real bad, you gotta do what you gotta do, including work past midnight AND on a sunday.

How to avoid it? Do not mess up:smile:
As I said earlier, the reason they are working past midnight is probably because they are enthusiastic about the game and not because their boss (or some random angry forum people) told them so.

As I said earlier, the reason they are working past midnight is probably because they are enthusiastic about the game and not because their boss (or some random angry forum people) told them so.
I guess you are very young or with not much real life experience (not meant offensively):smile:

Back
Top Bottom