(With Dev Replies) Development Now Feels Slower than Ever ... Do I Detect Another Code Refactor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Was happening in 1.5.10, but I was playing a save that was created on a previous version (early 1.5's, never modded). I'll make a fresh game and see if its still happening for circle formation and provide some proof.
The save game shouldn't affect the way AI behaves in the mission. Do let me know if it's still the case for the circle formation though.
Do you need more examples of siege defense archers not shooting?
@CannonBoe provided a video below (thank you), I think that's sufficient. The comments below that reddit post do lead to another post which explains that this might be due to it being nighttime. I'll inquire about this tomorrow. In either case, I can see why one would consider this bugged behaviour, especially if the attacking archers can shoot while the defenders just stand there.
Also, in the same settlement, one of my lower tier archers kept missing the hole in the wall
Sounds like a collision issue with the scene prop or it might also be connected with the AI. Will relay it.

ty for the info @Dejan

I just recorded this

The first 0 - 1:10 is me riding around a circle formation that has maybe 1 or 2 crossbowmen shooting while the other 98 stand there.
Jump to 2:05 and you'll see that even when my infantry are standing right in front of them they don't shoot en masse.

Sounds like a collision issue with the scene prop or it might also be connected with the AI. Will relay it.
Seems like collisions match the model, none of the arrows hovers in the air. I suspect line of sight is not calculated from the arrowhead, but from archer's head, which makes sense obviously in general, but if TW wants to have stuff like these tight holes, they need to account for arrows being shot from bows rather than spit.

If you can't get this through, please come back to the forum with the reason why it was rejected, so someone will write a polite, well-argued letter with a poll to show player support.
unknown.png

I also would like to know why, as these proposals have tremendous support from the community.

The first 0 - 1:10 is me riding around a circle formation that has maybe 1 or 2 crossbowmen shooting while the other 98 stand there.
Jump to 2:05 and you'll see that even when my infantry are standing right in front of them they don't shoot en masse.
I think it's just another issue with line of sight. Your crossbowmen shoot more in a straight line than archers if they shoot at a close target. On this terrain on the other hand, they can't really see units farther away. I guess there need to be 2 checks:
1) A straight line of sight from their eyes to target (I think they can see through other units, I mean their own infantry)
2) Bolt arch trajectory (which can't go through their own units).
Because of 1) they can't see past hills, because of 2) they can't shoot at small distance in this formation, which makes it pretty useless.

Would need to be checked on much flatter terrain to see if they shoot at higher distances if the bolt trajectory doesn't go through their own units. I think it's rather realistic to be honest, in this 3rd person view the camera is like 1 meter above your head and we can still see only heads of crossbowmen. How do you expect them to be able to hit you and not their own infantry? It's even more problematic with aiming at infantry, cause they're even lower than you on your horse.

It's been busy times, but i still wanted to get back to the questions shared here

@Duh_TaleWorlds - When is Death going to be enabled in AI vs AI battles? Having it only enabled in player battles has been causing objectively bad gameplay (in terms of campaign health) for months now. There's literally no point in playing a long campaign because your faction and the factions you fight lose so many lords over time while the factions you don't fight grow in numbers.
There is an open ticket for it. I suspect it will be part of either 1.6.1 or 1.6.2. Of course, the only true and reliable answer is SoonTM.

Do quests we do for villages give them any bonuses? Say, I bring the headsman drought animals - will it affect somehow the village prosperity for better? Which quests affect the prosperity and which aren't?
The specific effects depend on the quest but the one you mentioned affects village hearths (negative modifier while active, positive bonus when successfully resolved, extra penalty when failed, nothing when cancelled due to world conditions). There may be more effects for the bound center on average, though - since the game in general has more of a focus on them than villages.

Do Community Managers know and/or get briefed on what the devside is doing? The fact that guys who are paid to do community work don't really connect to the community anymore besides uncommented patchnotes is THE terrible flaw in communication here imo. It makes me, and I guess most other people here, wonder what the f... they are doing all day long. As they represent TW to the community, that makes people wonder about the entire company, including the devs.
Yes, but, of course, it can be a challenge to be aware of every detail with a project of this size. Additionally, often inquiries go beyond just asking what is there (and why) and go towards what will come - which we tend to not give casual responses to but have dedicated formats for (statements, blogs, video updates).

In regards to the campaign, are there any plans you can share in regards to intrigues?
No, but if you specify what you have in mind, it can be brought up.

Besides that, do devs consider introducing a court? I find it frustrating that this feature has not been included, because it really gave you an edge as monarch and make you feel like one in Warband. I even used the editor to personalize my own courtroom back in Warband, that was great fun. With the current system, holding fiefs and being a greater Lord doesn't give any feel of accomplishment to me. It's just "oh wow another fief without any personal style whatsoever".
It's a topic of discussion, but nothing specific has been scheduled.

It would be nice if the Prison guard is more polite to his Lord too. "Yea what do you want" is not what I'd expect from one of my men.
Will bring it up.

@Duh_TaleWorlds , among many other things that are missing (in campaign) and that developers already know, I especially miss the quest in which we trained the population of a village to resist an invasion by bandits. We sometimes fought with the villagers (with wooden weapons) before the bandits attacked. This is really cool and immersive in Warband.
A similar idea was discussed recently iirc (training villagers), I will bring this up. It's a good quest.

In BL, you take peasants to battle for getting trained.
If you weren't cheating that's pretty much what you do in WB as well. :razz:

1. The encyclopedia needs to be taken advantage of as a place to describe things like this to the player. Right now its empty and there are so many complicated features going on in the background and almost impossible for the player to know. I'm sure this has been deemed low priority, but it would go really far in clearing up lots of the confusion for players. The tooltips are helpful but more in-depth explanations in the encyclopedia would go much further.
How can we relay all this info to the player on an expanded tutorial? Use images/pictures/videos to make it succint. A good game that makes it easy to learn is FrostPunk, free now on Epic Gamestore.
This is something on the backlog. Just more urgent things in front of it.

I think the rest is already covered by Dejan (and maybe some of the above as well heh).

Since i have catched you here, i have to ask that is there any discussions (did it got brought up?) regarding political/social/bureaucratic structures varying along the faction? Or is it going to stay as it is?

Appreciating the communication effort.

@Duh_TaleWorlds good to know this quest will be back! (I know it will). :smile:

I believe that intrigues refers to "spreading rumors (defaming), romance, sabotage and assassination". More intriguing options with the lords...

Since i have catched you here, i have to ask that is there any discussions (did it got brought up?) regarding political/social/bureaucratic structures varying along the faction? Or is it going to stay as it is?
Depends a bit on what you mean. If you are talking about clans and how they work in principle, then I don't think that there will be differences between cultures. However, if you are talking about culture specific decisions, that's an avenue we might explore.

@Dejan sorry for the delay, thanks for taking the suggestions back, I appreciate you're all over this thread taking stuff up (you too @Duh_TaleWorlds !)

Duh, while we have you here (on your weekend? C'mon man, I'll ship you some crappy American IPAs, take a break) do you happen to have any tangible updates for the potential patch that we will get the "big" stuff: Dynamic Battle Terrain, Keep Battles, Cause for War (Casus Belli?) and Field Order of Battle - I think I saw 1.6.2 for one of those, not sure if they're planned all at once. I imagine Order of Battle and Dynamic Battle Terrain are almost directly dependent on each other.

As an aside, the last mega-thread you partook in, at least I am pretty it was you - there were questions about expanding crafting to ranged weapons and armors and at the time armors were not being looked at due to the lack of "components" similar to how the melee weapons are being made. Given the (great) new changes to Smithing and the planned enhancements and fixes to it, will that be revisited?

Last question: Status on spear bracing for formations being added? I noticed the Pikes you can craft do have Spear Brace options, and it works for the player's character, but no one else. Hoping to see that so I stop getting run over and yeeted by Vlandians.

) do you happen to have any tangible updates for the potential patch that we will get the "big" stuff: Dynamic Battle Terrain, Keep Battles, Cause for War (Casus Belli?) and Field Order of Battle - I think I saw 1.6.2 for one of those, not sure if they're planned all at once. I imagine Order of Battle and Dynamic Battle Terrain are almost directly dependent on each other.
I mean... yes... but nothing that I can share. Currently, we do not make big promises about what will be in a particular patch before it hits. We only share (some of) the topics that are being actively worked on. All of the the aforementioned bits are making progress, though, the amount of work required for them varies rather drastically. OOB and DBT are not dependent on each other to my knowledge.

As an aside, the last mega-thread you partook in, at least I am pretty it was you - there were questions about expanding crafting to ranged weapons and armors and at the time armors were not being looked at due to the lack of "components" similar to how the melee weapons are being made. Given the (great) new changes to Smithing and the planned enhancements and fixes to it, will that be revisited?
The changes to crafting do not change that armors and ranged weapons are a single piece whereas melee weapons have been created from individual parts (aka the crafting pieces). Maybe something can be done with colors and materials but I don't think that's what you had in mind. For now, I think the focus will be with the things laid out here

Future of Crafting
  1. Perks
    We already introduced perk effects which provide relationship gain with each completed order this is not the final improvements coming to the perks.
    Something we were postponing for a while was updating the perk tree of smithing to bring them in line with our other perks (i.e. two effects per perk) and streamline some of the "non-choice" perks so that they become more meaningful again. With the crafting orders completed, this is possible and we are working on updating the perks.
  2. Crafting Pieces and Unlocking
    Another issue we had was the fully randomized part unlocking system and the lack of pieces for certain weapon types. We will try to address these issues together as we make the unlocking system more "controllable" such that the items player crafts and the item pieces they unlock are inline and players can focus on smithing certain weapons to progress faster in the crafting pieces.
    For this reason, we also plan to expand the "piece catalog" of some weapon types. These will be the types in which we currently do not have many parts available (e.g. two-handed maces).

3. Crafting Issues
    The nobles and notables will be able to take advantage of the new order system and we will be able to provide you with smithing-based quests Perhaps you can provide weapons to a local gang or work on the most legendary weapon ever ordered by the Empress herself. Who knows what the future holds?

Last question: Status on spear bracing for formations being added?
Edıth - Spear bracıng in general remains work in progress. I don't know about formations.

Yes, but, of course, it can be a challenge to be aware of every detail with a project of this size.
@Duh_TaleWorlds There's this one issue about order UI not showing up while enemies are fleeing that was reported, but MArdA from community support seemed to totally not understand what people are talking about. It was marked as "resolved" even though he talked about something different - half of the party cheering while enemy is fleeing. This is nothing new. Order UI disabled is a new change and one that no one seems to like, so most people consider it a bug. Can we finally get some proper confirmation if it's intended or if it's a bug?

There's this one issue about order UI not showing up while enemies are fleeing that was reported, but MArdA from community support seemed to totally not understand what people are talking about. It was marked as "resolved" even though he talked about something different - half of the party cheering while enemy is fleeing. This is nothing new. Order UI disabled is a new change and one that no one seems to like, so most people consider it a bug. Can we finally get some proper confirmation if it's intended or if it's a bug?
It will likely see further changes. At least at the last discussion it was deemed not desired as it is.

Back
Top Bottom