(With Dev Replies) Development Now Feels Slower than Ever ... Do I Detect Another Code Refactor?

Users who are viewing this thread

You are welcome to ask me anything (ideally about the campaign) and I will answer what I can.
Any plans for updates to companion and lord dialogues i.e. getting rid of the whole "I have a quick question -> Never mind" thing?

You asked and I remember a number of users & topics that didn't really understand what refactors are.

The next patch is in its testing phase at the moment. Once it passes that and once we can push the current beta to live, it will be released. Regular patches, in particular, include a range of changes, so it is rare for the bulk of their duration to be dependent on a single issue. There is no smoking gun to point you to - we are fixing the issues discovered in testing while we are concurrently looking into the performance issues that players have reported.

You are welcome to ask me anything (ideally about the campaign) and I will answer what I can.
About the unlimited AI army.

Do you have a plan to let the AI lord play on the same rules as the player or receive a lower bonus?

I mean, there's no point in a player defeating an army.

For a former Floris modder
Floris is love, Floris is life.
@Duh_TaleWorlds I'm curious what is your role in the team and what are you personally working on in the last few weeks? An average forum user has only a few glimpses of what's going on there from Mexxico.
I work in a production role for the campaign side of the game. This concerns the usual keeping track of decisions and tasks but also extends to design discussion and documentation. A lot of time goes towards organizing & attending meetings, taking notes, creating documentation & issues, following up with people and removing blockers.

Beyond that, the last couple of weeks I also dedicated some time to double check a range of localization related issues (and gave the german translation a spin), looked into modding related work with Dejan, worked on extending a number of mechanic overviews with a few of our designers to better inform design decisions as well as started preparing a bit of data collection that I hope we can do soon. I also like to keep track of the forums and other outlets to learn of and convey at least some of the sentiments.

Do you have any updates about the order of battle systems, in particular pre-battle placement and formations, or any related systems being worked on? Also any news related to captains, such as being able to change them in the order of battle screen
This is more strongly related to combat and UI, but, yes, the Order of Battle and its associated mechanics are being worked on.

or having mounted captains stay behind infantry or archer groups during the advance and charge commands?
This wouldn't be related to OOB imo, but rather be a general matter of formation AI. Still we can @Dejan to add it to the community suggestion tracker :smile:

Any plans for updates to companion and lord dialogues i.e. getting rid of the whole "I have a quick question -> Never mind" thing?
We are looking into dialogues and while there is no final decision yet, I personally think that for players that option has little to offer over "Something to discuss" (aka anything that would be added to it might as well be added to the latter which already holds some functionality).

About the unlimited AI army.

Do you have a plan to let the AI lord play on the same rules as the player or receive a lower bonus?
There is no specific plan to make the AI follow the exact rules of the player across any particular system. Naturally, the experience can be improved either through balancing or the introduction of additional mechanics like better controls over prisoners.

Afaik mexxico worked on those parts, so he would be able to address the topic in more detail.

I work in a production role for the campaign side of the game. This concerns the usual keeping track of decisions and tasks but also extends to design discussion and documentation. A lot of time goes towards organizing & attending meetings, taking notes, creating documentation & issues, following up with people and removing blockers.

Beyond that, the last couple of weeks I also dedicated some time to double check a range of localization related issues (and gave the german translation a spin), looked into modding related work with Dejan, worked on extending a number of mechanic overviews with a few of our designers to better inform design decisions as well as started preparing a bit of data collection that I hope we can do soon. I also like to keep track of the forums and other outlets to learn of and convey at least some of the sentiments.

This is more strongly related to combat and UI, but, yes, the Order of Battle and its associated mechanics are being worked on.

This wouldn't be related to OOB imo, but rather be a general matter of formation AI. Still we can @Dejan to add it to the community suggestion tracker :smile:

We are looking into dialogues and while there is no final decision yet, I personally think that for players that option has little to offer over "Something to discuss" (aka anything that would be added to it might as well be added to the latter which already holds some functionality).

There is no specific plan to make the AI follow the exact rules of the player across any particular system. Naturally, the experience can be improved either through balancing or the introduction of additional mechanics like better controls over prisoners.

Afaik mexxico worked on those parts, so he would be able to address the topic in more detail.

Thank you.

Please forgive the frustrated tone of my first post. It's so nice to hear what is being worked on and... beyond that, just to feel in touch with a dev team member is good and much needed.

I know you guys are busy.... but if this type of contact was made here a little more often and more regularly, I think the general mood of the game's community would improve hugely.

Anyway, thanks.

Last edited:

Thank you for your reply. I'll be waiting for a better experience.

I personally think that for players that option has little to offer over "Something to discuss" (aka anything that would be added to it might as well be added to the latter which already holds some functionality).
Can you rephrase this? I'm not understanding it.

OtcIW1.png

I will ask the same question that I asked in another thread to mexxico
Did this ever exist before in Bannerlord? If yes, why all of these removed?
If no, are they still holding in TW's "We somewhat promised but we won't add it into the game but we won't publicly deny that it's not taken out either" list?
Subject video:

@mexxico since you are still active and have the energy to be in the forum - I want to ask, did this feature ever existed in Bannerlord before? Or it was just Lust's random PR strategy?
Starts around 27:30 and Lust gives a lot of information about things that are not in the current game in continuing two minutes - including things JustinTime49 mentioned, Marshal role within factions, revolt system based on villages/AI Taxes etc
Things JustinTime49 mentioned on that thread
At 27:50 minute mark, does anyone remember Lust's responses to defeating even SINGLE lords. Nothing as natural or strategical as his explanation in-game really exists. If a clan has one village raided, it really doesn't matter because they can (and WILL) just travel to the next village and recruit troops, you know, without consequence. Would the clan of that village not be upset that another clan is relying on THEIR men, which could cause quarrels within the kingd... why do I even bother.

or having mounted captains stay behind infantry or archer groups during the advance and charge commands?
So this is basically confirmation that TW doesn't look at these forums very often. How many times I have seen this issue brought up, and that was BEFORE companions could die in battle. This issue is now just being addressed?

Can you rephrase this? I'm not understanding it.
I think at the moment the quick question option may hold some internal debug options, but I don't think it serves a purpose for players. Seeing that there is a very similar option along the lines of "I have something I would like to discuss", there is little reason to keep the "Quick question" option accessible to player in regular play - IMO.

I think at the moment the quick question option may hold some internal debug options, but I don't think it serves a purpose for players. Seeing that there is a very similar option along the lines of "I have something I would like to discuss", there is little reason to keep the "Quick question" option accessible to player in regular play - IMO.
That answers the specific question of that line, but I think a large part of this community would like to know if there would be some more immersive things to discuss with lords. Their position on other lords, their stance on the recent/future castle vote and influencing it, and other mechanics present in previous games and not this current one. Currently talking to lords is mostly useless, there is absolutely no RP value in doing so (among many other things)

That answers the specific question of that line, but I think a large part of this community would like to know if there would be some more immersive things to discuss with lords. Their position on other lords, their stance on the recent/future castle vote and influencing it, and other mechanics present in previous games and not this current one. Currently talking to lords is mostly useless, there is absolutely no RP value in doing so (among many other things)
Yeah I think we've focused too much on the example I gave (given because it's a rather "iconic" example of the larger problem) and not enough on the larger problem itself. "We are looking into dialogues and while there is no final decision yet" is sort of an answer and honestly an alarming one because it leaves in the possibility that there *won't* be any more work on dialogues, and that lord and companions will be left as the carboard cutouts with no discernable personalities that they currently are. I *strongly* hope that this is not the case and that I'm simply misunderstanding that part of the response.

Their position on other lords, their stance on the recent/future castle vote and influencing it, and other mechanics present in previous games and not this current one.
As far as I know, some lords have dialogues about their political opinion and maybe that can be expanded to cover more of them (albeit the most viable options would be generic dialogues based on their character traits due to the sheer volume of lords). Questions about policies sound interesting but may be quite misleading as they are subject to (possibly rapid) change. It may be better to communicate that as a lord makes a proposal instead.

that there *won't* be any more work on dialogues, and that lord and companions will be left as the carboard cutouts with no discernable personalities that they currently are
I find it more likely that companions will see additional work in this regard than lords. Edith - to clarify, both may of course, see some work. I just mean that imo companions would be more viable in terms of achieving greater discernability/uniqueness since their numbers are notably lower.

Still no final decision yet made about the player's ability to use his companions to take over the control over the alleys in towns?
No.

I find it more likely that companions will see additional work in this regard than lords. Edith - to clarify, both may of course, see some work. I just mean that imo companions would be more viable in terms of achieving greater discernability/uniqueness since their numbers are notably lower.
Thank you for answering. I understand now :smile:

As far as I know, some lords have dialogues about their political opinion and maybe that can be expanded to cover more of them (albeit the most viable options would be generic dialogues based on their character traits due to the sheer volume of lords). Questions about policies sound interesting but may be quite misleading as they are subject to (possibly rapid) change. It may be better to communicate that as a lord makes a proposal instead.

I hear what you say about companions getting a lot more personality work since there are fewer of them and that makes sense, but it would be really nice to be able to get the political opinions of other lords and their thoughts on other characters. There's a lot of random background information about characters in the comments to the xml files that make the world seem way more flavorful than it currently is in-game. Character personalities, backstories, their gripes and frustrations with other lords -- all this would make the lords far more interesting and far less generic and interchangeable as they are now.

Right now there are only a handful of lords -- mostly clan leaders but not always -- who have these. But even beyond just asking for their general political opinions, would be nice to get their opinions on other leaders and such as well. Things that right now are basically just background info that may or may not even represent current game design (since they are comments after all, and ideas change).

That's a pity. I'd like to ask what chances do we have to see the function eventually, but I suppose it is not the priority ATM, so it would be hard to answer that.

By the way, speaking of something that has already been announced and with the 100% certainty will be seen (i hope) soon - we already know about the progress with the new battle terrain system, thanks to Dejan, but what is the progress with the keep battles? It has been announced at least a month ago and no news ever since... Have you ran into some trouble or do level designers need time to finish the scenes?

Yes I am reffering entirely to the trait-based dialogue templates. I also see that writing specific opinions would be unviable as there are far too many lords as you've said, and all die after a period of time. If there could be work on deepening that trait based interaction with the player through dialogue (over menu-based), most of the community would be very happy. Thank you for your time and answers

It has been announced at least a month ago and no news ever since... Have you ran into some trouble or do level designers need time to finish the scenes?
I had shared this in another thread, but basically we are working on the combat ai behavior in close quarters (and in general ofc). Some scene adjustments (spawns mostly) may also be made, but that's not really a blocker at this point.

Oh, I thought it was already being worked on, if we must @Dejan I should elaborate: Players want to have thier captains mounted (for protection) and have them lead groups who are on foot (to give them perk bonuses) and to stay behind these groups during advance and charge. Currently the mounted captain will charge or advance alone, ahead of the group and be put in great risk of being defeated (or killed). This has been a common complaint for a long time, I though it was already being worked on.

Back
Top Bottom