Witcher netflix series

Users who are viewing this thread

Funny, the first time I watched the trailer, I was reminded a bit of The Last Kingdom, and that made me worried. I didn't get that feeling when I watched it again just now, so now I feel more optimistic that this is gonna be good.

I like that the characters seem to be on point. I'll refrain from expressing my opinions as a HEMA prectitioner on the swordmanship displayed.

I loved the part where he slashes at men wearing full plate with absolutely no attempt to strike an exposed area. And then they just drop down. Because his steel sword is actually a friggen lightsaber

Two songs from the show are out:

https://soundcloud.com/giona_ostinelli/geralt-of-rivia/s-qpWP8

https://soundcloud.com/giona_ostinelli/toss-a-coin-to-your-witcher

After first episode:
They can't get costumes right. Everyone wears tinfoil plate armour that gets slashed through by swords, Nilfgaardians wear absolute trash ballsack plate, and the rest look like they just came off set of a cheap generic fantasy movie. There's not a touch of originality. It looks like same crapsack world like GoT and every other fantasy that came off Hollywood in last 20 years. The original is based on medieval eastern Europe, the visuals could and should have reflected that. They do not.
They can't get battle right. Just a bit of melee chaos. We don't see a decent commoner infantry that should have been there. No ranged weapons, short of Cahir who's apparently a good crossbowman-it is implied that he put a bolt through Eist's eye (hey, that visored helmet you had in the beginning had reason), and he shot Lazlo moving on horse at night lit only by torches. Don't remember him being such a good shot in books, but whatever.
They can't get fights right. In books, the Blaviken fight was well written, those guys were more than generic thugs, they worked together but were just a bit too slow for angry witcher. Here, they come at him one by one like goons in a cheap movie.
And they can't get the storytelling right. They butchered the Blaviken story. Rushed it, didn't give the exposition it required, and rushed the ending to the point that it felt forced. Goddammit, I'd expect a writer to be be able to pick out and preserve the motif of the story that she's adapting. Instead, it is disjointed crap.

Tell me if it improves, but right now I don't feel like watching the rest.

Sarin said:
After first episode:
They can't get costumes right. Everyone wears tinfoil plate armour that gets slashed through by swords, Nilfgaardians wear absolute trash ballsack plate, and the rest look like they just came off set of a cheap generic fantasy movie. There's not a touch of originality. It looks like same crapsack world like GoT and every other fantasy that came off Hollywood in last 20 years. The original is based on medieval eastern Europe, the visuals could and should have reflected that. They do not.
They can't get battle right. Just a bit of melee chaos. We don't see a decent commoner infantry that should have been there. No ranged weapons, short of Cahir who's apparently a good crossbowman-it is implied that he put a bolt through Eist's eye (hey, that visored helmet you had in the beginning had reason), and he shot Lazlo moving on horse at night lit only by torches. Don't remember him being such a good shot in books, but whatever.
They can't get fights right. In books, the Blaviken fight was well written, those guys were more than generic thugs, they worked together but were just a bit too slow for angry witcher. Here, they come at him one by one like goons in a cheap movie.
And they can't get the storytelling right. They butchered the Blaviken story. Rushed it, didn't give the exposition it required, and rushed the ending to the point that it felt forced. Goddammit, I'd expect a writer to be be able to pick out and preserve the motif of the story that she's adapting. Instead, it is disjointed crap.

Someone's pissy. :razz:

I was actually quite surprised at Cavill's Geralt. It didn't feel too forced or out of place, if not a tad young for him. It wasn't great but I hope there's room for improvement. Really wish they took time with the storyline though, not rush it all.

Jock said:
Sarin said:
After first episode:

Someone's pissy. :razz:

I was actually quite surprised at Cavill's Geralt. It didn't feel too forced or out of place, if not a tad young for him. It wasn't great but I hope there's room for improvement. Really wish they took time with the storyline though, not rush it all.

Yeah, I needed to blow off some steam, because the series is turning out exactly how I predicted, which is bad.

Finished all 8 episodes.

Bloody hell, better than what i expected by miles. Thought it was amazing through and through. Battle of Sodden wasnt that great, and the nilfgaardian costumes were terrible as expected.

All the actors though, did amazing job imo, specially anya, henry, jaskier and calanthe's actress. And great comedic timing, laughed my ass off a few times.

CGI was great as well except one single monster, of the ten or so.
the spider thing that goes after yennefer, that was rather cringy

Thankfully, they already changed the costume designer for season 2, so im sure it will improve on that aspect.

That Yen and Geralt chemistry.... best thing of the first season for me, and the last wish episode is probably gonna be my favorite after i rewatch the season a couple of times.

Moose! said:
Wulfburk said:
CGI was great as well except one single monster, of the ten or so.

Is it, like, a different monster per episode? Because that would be my jam.

I think a monster appears in every episode, however some are witcher contracts, but most of them are just intertwined with Geralt's and yennefer's plots, being not the focus of it.

Wulfburk said:
Finished all 8 episodes.
VuWsv.gif

Is that even posssible? It was released today. I'm watching episode 1 right now.

It was released 5 am over here. Woke up at 8 am, binged 4 episodes. Went out to grab lunch at 12:00 pm, got my dog to the vet for a bath, bought some stuff, binged another 4 episodes from 12:30pm to 5pm  :grin:

Plan on rewatching one episode per day from tomorrow onwards too.

This show is cheesy as hell, and I'm kind of loving it.

The costume work is absolutely awful.

I like how they cast dwarf actors as Dwarves.

The sets look cheap.

The exposition is on the nose and/or all over the place. But, at least they're willing to poke fun of that fact.

I liked most of it. It could be better, but overall a solid show, and faithful enough adaptation from the books. The monster were gorgeous (except for one) and the cast was stellar and pretty much everyone nailed their characters, though I'm still a bit upset that Triss wasn't a redhead (at least dye her hair).

I question the wisdom of structuring the show like this, though. How anyone who hasn't read the book can keep up with the story is beyond me.

The middle part of the season is the strongest one, specially the last wish and the dragon episode. They were great short stories and were very well adapted. But damn, that was an ugly dragon. Really, an oversized golden chicken.

I wasn't sure about them skipping Ciri's childhood, but it worked, and we have a good arc for the character when I thought the first season would barely introduce her. The only thing I think they got wrong was the Brokillon visit. They really should have followed the book here and have Geralt meet her there before the attack. Their lack of a prior relationship robs the last scene of the season of a lot of emotional punch.

The Sodden Hill battle was also a bit of a letdown, but I suppose that was more to do with the budget than creative choice, so understandable. But still, I wanted to see a big battle with lots of magic flying around. Speaking of magic, what was up with all those weird restrictions they came up with?

I'm withholding judgement on Viggelfortz character for now, but as it is, they need to do a lot of development on him for the next few seasons.

Back
Top Bottom