Wish M&B had unique troop units, sub-cultures, border-inspired, influenced units

Users who are viewing this thread

PrinceNaga

Veteran
What am I talking about historically, is the presence of the Cossacks and how they were recruited by foreign Ottomans and Muscovites, or the Belgae which were a Celto-Germanic blend of culture, weapons and ideas. Going further, the colonization of Galatians in Asia Minor and the Fayuum, basically unique peoples, unique circumstances. This being when, where, how they adopted new military philosophies and weaponry uncommon to their region, including culture, clothing, the rest. Mount & Blades one detraction is the ethnic homogeneous of the factions within the series. The Rhodoks lore-wise were once recently under Swadian dominion, yet there's no resemblance to their former overlords. Arguably, the only relation they have to each other, is the fact they both have the crossbow in their arsenals.

My point is, I wished M&B had offered and I hope Bannerlord does, maybe in an update/DLC, unique troops amongst the kingdoms that offer us variations of the indicated kingdoms, or bordering kingdoms strengths and weaknesses. Even an entirely ethnically alien subculture (Galatians).

I love examples so for everyone to relate they're Warband, game-wise: "Swado-Nordic" recruits only available in several villages dotting the border-lands between Swadia and Nord. "Settled and civilized" horse-riding farmers, more ethnically Nordic stock, but culturally more Swadian. They're harder to recruit and pay, but their unit-trees offer for Nordic armies the best cavalry they can muster on their side of the border. For Swad armies they offer some of the best in attributes and skills for an infantryman blending Swadian armor and Nordic weaponry.

The Rhodoks. For an area that had Swadia forced upon it for an unknown length of time, its a treasure trove of ideas for cultural-meshing. They resemble the Scottish geographically, what if the Swadian two-handers came from Rhodia? What if the Sarranids made up small exclaves within southern Rhodok, offering recruitment of Sarranid-inspired mercenaries offering great cavalry options within Jelkala? That's what I'm heading towards too.

What do y'all think? Taleworlds is really really interested in historical research of culture, of dress, when developing their skins for these units. Going by Warband, I doubt they'll have some interesting "tidbit" subcultures around, but in the time period Bannerlord is showcasing, its a great area to add some interesting, era-transitioning troops. I hope its tackled one day by them, and not by another modification.

I think it would be cool but at present I think the map is actually small enough that you can probably travel to the desired area and recruit people from that culture straight away.

The map looks pretty big to me, Warbands wasn't small either. I think one or several villages offering unique recruits throughout the map would make things more interesting, and I don't think would detract from the game.

I am saying unique recruits with unit-trees that diverge off on their own, and into the standard ones, and unique recruits in cities that are like mercenaries and foreign establishments.

You can do it already. In your group, you can select a troop and give it a new role. So this way in battle you can order that troop to follow you.

Tiags Luvianne Versorium said:
You can do it already. In your group, you can select a troop and give it a new role. So this way in battle you can order that troop to follow you.

I do this regularly in Warband.  I make a separate group for spears/pikes then a separate group for horse archers.  I set the horse archers to follow me in tight formation then if I get unhorsed I have the spearmen follow.

Indeed if would be interesting maybe you could recruit villagers from another culture and wear them with your gear; recruit borderland soldiers as auxilliaries it would be troops that can speak with you and have some of your weapons and gear, or recruit mercenaries. All this would be fun in term of integrate another culture or just make it disapear ? Like if you put a garrions in borderland village for years the culture could become mixed and you could recruit villagers from the two cultures or even mixed race ? Would be great but i think all this is for Mount&Blade 3: peoples' conqueror !

It'll actually be cool if each faction had its own troop tree for different cultures. You'd have the main troop tree, like the empire troop tree for the empire, and other very small (Probabaly single branch) troop trees for other cultures.

Villages would produce recruits depending on both the current owning faction and culture.

For example if I was a lord of the Empire and I recruited villagers from a Battanian village owned by the Battanians, id still have normal Battanian recruits. However if I conquer that village and then recruit from it, I'd have something like "Empire longbow recruits" instead.

This would make a lot more sense, and make a great auxiliary system in my opinion

peenerz said:
It'll actually be cool if each faction had its own troop tree for different cultures. You'd have the main troop tree, like the empire troop tree for the empire, and other very small (Probabaly single branch) troop trees for other cultures.

Villages would produce recruits depending on both the current owning faction and culture.

For example if I was a lord of the Empire and I recruited villagers from a Battanian village owned by the Battanians, id still have normal Battanian recruits. However if I conquer that village and then recruit from it, I'd have something like "Empire longbow recruits" instead.

This would make a lot more sense, and make a great auxiliary system in my opinion

I really love this idea

Back
Top Bottom