Resolved Wind-up Skip / Accelerated Attack Bug

Users who are viewing this thread

I wonder if this is the same accelerated attack bug from this old thread: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...cks-bannerlord-animation-movement-bug.389140/ which can be found in @Noudelle's Combat issues and inconsistencies megathread, or if it is something only I can see.

Method To Reproduce:
The specific directional inputs seem to vary from weapon to weapon, though the general process is the same. What I'm doing is holding a block, initiating a held attack while blocking (visually you're just blocking, at this point you're holding right click and left click), and releasing both attack and block at nearly the same time - attack just the briefest of moments later. As I release my block and attack I move my mouse in a direction that depends upon the weapon and desired attack. To give you a sense of the timing - when I was first discovering how to do this I thought it was all about releasing left and right click at the same exact time, but I realized that my successful attempts were when I released left click just barely after right. Below are some videos of this in action, under which i'll try my best to describe which movements result in which strikes. There are probably a lot more combinations of block/hold/swing directions these are just the ones I've messed with so far.

In this video you can see the quick attacks near the end, with me showcasing what normal attacks look like in the first 25 seconds so you can compare:

To do a quick left swing (30s) i'm holding a right block in right stance (left foot forward), starting a left held attack (you see my camera move left, but at this point you're still only seeing a held block), releasing my block and attack buttons, and moving my camera left or right just as I release (you can see both in the video - for this particular swing it's more about the direction you look for your hold attack while blocking)

The quick right swing (28s) is similar but I look to the right for my held attack during the block. It doesn't appear as fast because I'm using a right block so it almost looks like a wind-up while transitioning from the block to the release. If you do a left block into a right quick attack you will notice the missing wind-up.

The quality degraded quite a bit when I uploaded this following video to youtube, but you can still see what's going on well enough:

The beginning of this video also showcases some normal swings to help with comparisons. To do quick left swings with the mace/shield (11s) I'm blocking to the right in right stance (left foot forward), starting a left hold during my block, releasing block and attack, and moving my camera left then right. I'm not sure if the jerky motion is necessary, it's just what seemed to work so I stuck with it. I think this attack is a good display of the missing wind-up.

With the greatsword I show some quick overheads (32s). To do these I block down, start an overhead hold, and look right while releasing block and attack.

The billhook is where you can really see this bug in action. I do quick overheads (48s) by blocking down, starting a held overhead attack, and looking left then right just as I release block and attack. You might notice this is the opposite of the greatsword, where I had to look to the right as I released (for this stance, at least). To do the quick left swing (58s) with the billhook I'm blocking right in right stance, starting a left held attack, and looking left then right just as I release my block and attack.

Something else I noticed about this bug is that my character briefly enters the stance/animation you get after releasing a block during the time in which the wind-up animation should be playing. The thing about these attacks is that I don't think they are really any faster than normal ones, they're just missing the wind-up. Maybe this after block (and possibly the after attack) animation is preventing the wind-up animation from playing? It might also be why the directional inputs to get a "quick swing" vary so much from weapon to weapon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom