win10 and warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi guyz,

I have a problem about win10. When i try to play warband  in win10 the game is crashing and i cant alt+tab. If i do it i cant return the game and after that game is crushing again. But when i using win 8 there was no problem like that. So is there a fix about it?

Hi Metehannica,

Sounds like your warband isn't compatible with windows 10. The following might work:

• Goto C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband, Right click mb_warband.exe, Properties, Compatibility tab
  • Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mod for:" and select windows 8 or 7

If it fails, in the same Compatibility tab check the "Run as administrator".

Ok, lets go down in the dirty details!

Please provide a screenshot of the crash and the error. If nothing shows up perhaps a small GIF or alike so I can help you out with the situation a little better.
Mind you I won't reply every day so this process will take a while, but that is better then nothing right?  :wink:

Hi Metehannica,

Good news! Your screenie determined what the problem is so I'll try to explain and then we find a solution.

The error you are getting is a message saying that your Direct 3D is not compatible with warband. This can be either:
[list type=decimal]
[*]DirectX being outdated
[*]Your motherboard being outdated and therefor not supporting alien Microsoft changes
[*]Your graphics card is as old as my grandma. Therefor when the intro video starts it makes a burst of usage which triggers the error.
[/list]

Now I'm just gonna go on a hunch and say the first one is most likely the scenario, so I'll suggest you the shortcut that saves both our time:
Uninstall DirectX. Run a windows update as this is the best way to get a legit direct install of DirectX.
Reboot, launch warband.
Let us know how it went!

Hi Metehannica,

Reinstalling drivers and your OS and stuff is false info at this point, we have already established that the problem is DirectX. So no need to drive yourself crazy on other things.
The installation of DirectX goes automaticly through windows updates sinse the release of Windows Vista. Therefor there are no legitimate links to installs for DirectX. Risk the virus yourself if you want :razz:

I'm gonna be away from the forum untill monday so I'm gonna drop a last bomb untill then that hopefully will solve the case:

Removing binkplay.exe

Goto C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband.
Make a copy of binkplay.exe and then remove the original.
Start warband, click Configure, goto Video Tab, Change to DirectX 7 from dropdown, launch the game.

Works? Great! Now try changing it to DirectX 9.

Questions:
I looked a bit closer at the screenshot you posted and I noticed you are running 2 warband clients? That will clash if you try.
Also have a look at this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MountBlade Warband\DirectX.
Do the following 9 items appear in it?
  • APR2007_xinput_x86.cab
  • Aug2009_D3DCompiler_42_x86.cab
  • Aug2009_d3dx9_42_x86.cab
  • DSETUP.dll
  • dsetup32.dll
  • dxdllreg_x86.cab
  • DXSETUP.exe
  • dxupdate.cab
  • Mar2009_d3dx9_41_x86.cab

If not then feel free to download a copy of my folder. Just override and launch the game!
If you wanna try this anway, then make sure to make a backup before overriding!!

Good luck and hope to read a [SOLVED] when I come back :smile:

it can't be :/ im using windows 10 too and when i was the same problem i do the single threading thing and it works again,hm.. you tried going to steam mount&blade/see local files and right click on mb_warband.exe and run it as admin?

@Froi
A lot of people know me from streaming, but my main battleground has always been the town watch.
I use to struggle with games myself for the longest time untill I became a proffesional IT guy academicly and by proffesion now.
I'm just sharing knowledge to the best I can, just as my videos :smile:

@Metehannica
Hi :grin:

It makes a lot of sense that steam would be the problem. What your suggesting for me to do is a little something called hacking steam... so lets do it :wink:
I would wanna ask you to make a new topic post though as this isn't related to the topicname. (i link other people to my older solution threads)

To get me on a trail of thoughts you need to describe your question a little better to me though. Are you:
- Wanting a steam achievement tracker while ingame?
- Wanting a steam overlay for friends while ingame?
- Steam overlay for achievement tracking?

First thing I'm gonna do is check how DirectX is handled by steam though, maybe the solution is not as difficult as we think.

Hi again,

So after doing a little reading I came to the following conclusion.

Steam achievements require a steamversion to be run. However you can run the game offline and this might make the conflicts you have disapear.
Achievements offline only count if you don have other mods running, and not cheating. Doing it once, even for a sec, will stop tracking your achievements and youll have to start everything over again.
To be able to gain the achievements on your steam profile you will need to make steam go online for synchronization. This can be done at any time after playing or during.

I haven't checked out how steam handles DirectX yet, and will not be able to for the upcomming week(s).
So to be straight out, unless someone else picks up the trails; This topic will remain unanswered for a long time.

I'm having exactly this very same problem, Windows 10 too. It worries me because two days ago it didn't happen, and this is a fresh, legit Windows 10 install. Without Steam overlay, I can alt+enter (I need to minimize/turn windowed mode lots of time) only if steam overlay is not activated, else it crashes. Problem is, I really, really need to make Steam screenshots while I'm playing.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom