Will there be religion in bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

Can someone explain me the "Thanks God there is none" ? You're against something that could potentially bring incredible depth to the gameplay and to the lore ?

Can someone explain me the "Thanks God there is none" ? You're against something that could potentially bring incredible depth to the gameplay and to the lore ?
It would likely just mean constant war bewteen certain factions, which would be severely annoying

It would destroy the lore. It wouldnt add anything besides some real world nonsense. Religion takes away the player freedom and makes a fantasy game too much like real life and destroys the fantasy appeal. I wouldnt want to see a Vlandian crusader army trying to take "Holy City" counterpart of Calradia.

It would likely just mean constant war bewteen certain factions, which would be severely annoying
Uuuh, no ? You know that during medieval times, countries with different religions weren't constantly at war, right ?

It would destroy the lore.
Care to tell me why ?

It wouldnt add anything besides some real world nonsense.
It wouldn't add anything ? Wtf ? It could litterally add tens of new game mechanics related to conquests, diplomacy, conversion, etc, and a whole new depth to the lore + the gameplay. + Every faction in Bannerlord are heavily based on real world civilizations in their culture, aesthetic, gear, towns, etc... What the hell are you talking bout ? (At this point I'm seriously wondering if you're serious or just trolling btw)

Religion takes away the player freedom and makes a fantasy game too much like real life
There is literally zero fantasy in M&B mate. This is not a magical world. It's litterally "I take real world civilizations with just a bit of anachronism and give them different names". + "Take away the player freedom" ? What ? Wait a second... You know that religion is present in almost all fantasy settings in books, movies, videogames, etc, right ?

I wouldnt want to see a Vlandian crusader army trying to take "Holy City" counterpart of Calradia.
Yeah, because religion is just "take Jerusalem back". *sigh* Yeah, either you're trolling me from the beginning or perhaps you lack a lot of culture on the topic. Go play Crusader Kings II if you want to see what religion can add to a game in terms of gameplay and depth.

me and boys pretending we care about religion

18.png
Me and the girls installing religion mod in order to set up the first flying spaggheti monster cult in the land of Calradia
5be58d949c31d934c1584fbb7e992be4.jpg

"Uuuh, no ? You know that during medieval times, countries with different religions weren't constantly at war, right ?" There were countless wars of religion in Europe and out of Europe during the middelages, but Warband/Bannerlord Arent really realistic in many ways. The issue i have is game mechanics one. If two nations of a different religion has a higher chance of going to war, it will happen at some point, when they go to war, fiefs are taken adding more reason for war, relations are worsened adding more reason for war, you put in an entire factor more that leads to war, that will skew the relations of nations of different religions in the long run, its not a factor we need. Also on another note it will just bring more strife between players aswell, since real life comparisons are bound to happen and people and religions are stupid like that. It is lore breaking in the way that Calradia 300 years later (in Warband) had no major religions.

Care to tell me why ?

M&B didnt have religion before. Not in Warband and not in previous versions, if they were to add religion all of a sudden whole lore would have to be changed and it wouldn't make sense with Warband at all. Bannerlord takes place in 11th~ century while warband takes place in 13th century. We dont have a single indication of religion in warband so what, after the collapse of Calradic empire everyone went ateist? It wouldnt make sense and would destroy the lore.

It wouldn't add anything ? Wtf ? It could litterally add tens of new game mechanics related to conquests, diplomacy, conversion, etc, and a whole new depth to the lore + the gameplay. + Every faction in Bannerlord are heavily based on real world civilizations in their culture, aesthetic, gear, towns, etc... What the hell are you talking bout ? (At this point I'm seriously wondering if you're serious or just trolling btw)

Your way of talking annoys me no need to be rude, dont answer unless you understand my point. What im saying is religion wouldnt add anything "new". We still have enough diplomatic matters and gameplay elements. Having a religion would only complicate things unnecessarily. I dont want an npc religious leader to play a role in my diplomatic schemes. Just because this game is about medieval times doesnt necessarily mean there should be religion. This game is about Warfare and Politics, not beliefs.

There is literally zero fantasy in M&B mate. This is not a magical world. It's litterally "I take real world civilizations with just a bit of anachronism and give them different names". + "Take away the player freedom" ? What ? Wait a second... You know that religion is present in almost all fantasy settings in books, movies, videogames, etc, right ?

Say what you will its a fantasy world called Calradia. And yeah religion takes away the freedom, religious leaders would surely play a role in the game and tell kings/people or player what to do or set objectives. I dont want that. Lets say I've created a character believing in Christianity (or anything different doesnt matter, just an example) my character would only be welcome in Christian factions. So what if I wanted to join another faction believing in another religion? Should I convert my religion? So what if I changed my mind later on and decided to go back to my original faction? Convert again? Or receive relation penalties with lords from other religions? So every time I convert will I take penalty? Meaning I will have to change my army composition every time I change religion otherwise my men who are believing in other religions would hate me and that would lower their morale. This is what Im talking about, It limits the player's choices. I want knights from Vlandia, Legionaries from Empire, Horse Archers from Khuzaits without having to worry about their religion. We already had a mechanic limiting mixed armies to an extent in Warband, no need to complicate things further with religious nonsense.

Yeah, because religion is just "take Jerusalem back". *sigh* Yeah, either you're trolling me from the beginning or perhaps you lack a lot of culture on the topic. Go play Crusader Kings II if you want to see what religion can add to a game in terms of gameplay and depth.

In middle ages Holy Places were important for kings and religious leaders. In a game like this, focusing on warfare and politics only importance of a religious sect would be about holy places and their capture. This is not Crusader Kings II. So what, just because you liked a feature from a "Historical game" you want the same thing for bannerlord which is a semi-fantasy game? Give me a break. So lets say they did add religion to the game but not the Holy city thing. So what role the religion would play in the game? And I'm well aware of the things I'm talking about, it seems you are the one with lack of vision or knowledge. And not everyone who are against your ideas are trolls or ignorant and the fact that you said "it would add tens of new features such as conquests..." shows that you dont even know what you're talking about. As I said I wouldnt want a made up religious leader telling me or my faction leader to "Go on a Crusade" or "Capture a Pagan city" or "kill all the non believers in a village" or "convert the townsmen to xxxx religion". Thats not what M&B is. If you want to be a religious fanatic in a game so bad, wait for the mods. I'm sure there will be plenty "Historical" mods that would add religions. There you can kill the nonbelievers. :smile:

Last edited:
M&B didnt have religion before. Not in Warband and not in previous versions, if they were to add religion all of a sudden whole lore would have to be changed and it wouldn't make sense with Warband at all. Bannerlord takes place in 11th~ century while warband takes place in 13th century. We dont have a single indication of religion in warband so what, after the collapse of Calradic empire everyone went ateist? It wouldnt make sense and would destroy the lore.

Your way of talking annoys me no need to be rude, dont answer unless you understand my point. What im saying is religion wouldnt add anything "new". We still have enough diplomatic matters and gameplay elements. Having a religion would only complicate things unnecessarily. I dont want an npc religious leader to play a role in my diplomatic schemes. Just because this game is about medieval times doesnt necessarily mean there should be religion. This game is about Warfare and Politics, not beliefs.

Say what you will its a fantasy world called Calradia. And yeah religion takes away the freedom, religious leaders would surely play a role in the game and tell kings/people or player what to do or set objectives. I dont want that. Lets say I've created a character believing in Christianity (or anything different doesnt matter, just an example) my character would only be welcome in Christian factions. So what if I wanted to join another faction believing in another religion? Should I convert my religion? So what if I changed my mind later on and decided to go back to my original faction? Convert again? Or receive relation penalties with lords from other religions? So every time I convert will I take penalty? Meaning I will have to change my army composition every time I change religion otherwise my men who are believing in other religions would hate me and that would lower their morale. This is what Im talking about, It limits the player's choices. I want knights from Vlandia, Legionaries from Empire, Horse Archers from Khuzaits without having to worry about their religion. We already had a mechanic limiting mixed armies to an extent in Warband, no need to complicate things further with religious nonsense.

In middle ages Holy Places were important for kings and religious leaders. In a game like this, focusing on warfare and politics only importance of a religious sect would be about holy places and their capture. This is not Crusader Kings II. So what, just because you liked a feature from a "Historical game" you want the same thing for bannerlord which is a semi-fantasy game? Give me a break. So lets say they did add religion to the game but not the Holy city thing. So what role the religion would play in the game? And I'm well aware of the things I'm talking about, it seems you are the one with lack of vision or knowledge. And not everyone who are against your ideas are trolls or ignorant and the fact that you said "it would add tens of new features such as conquests..." shows that you dont even know what you're talking about. As I said I wouldnt want a made up religious leader telling me or my faction leader to "Go on a Crusade" or "Capture a Pagan city" or "kill all the non believers in a village" or "convert the townsmen to xxxx religion". Thats not what M&B is. If you want to be a religious fanatic in a game so bad, wait for the mods. I'm sure there will be plenty "Historical" mods that would add religions. There you can kill the nonbelievers. :smile:

I believe you guys have a really euro-centric and somewhat "modern" understanding of "religion". (Which is weird, I assumed most M&B Fans are history nerds). First we do not need "real life religions". That would definitely break the lore. But religion doesn't go against the fantasy concept. Nearly every fantasy world has religions. The Lord of the Rings has religion, ASOIAF has religion, why should M&B has no religion? Actually it would make every faction in the game a bit more unique. In Warband basically nothing differed between the factions except for architecture, troops and clothing. The whole concept of "culture" is some what "bland" in M&B which is a shame.

Religion is not "apolitical". Believing that religion is primarily and individual believe system, in some sort of "higher entity" is a modern understanding of the term. Religion, in ancient times, was an essential part of the political and social sphere. It WAS the social and political system. There was not just no separation between religion and politics, there was no distinction. Religion would provide laws and political principles and it would legitimize the regime/ruler/government. Beside that (based on the theory of Emile Durkheim) religion would "create" a community. A society can only reflects itself or perceive itself by "acting as a society". It therefore becomes a "community". Religion was therefore a major factor in creating a common, social identity. So saying that "this game is about Warfare and Politics, not beliefs" is just an (sorry to say it) ignorant statement.

It is also a christocentric idea to assume that there is a whole "religious sphere" separated from the political sphere. In your text you're some what implying a "church", where religious leaders would try to influence politics. That's christocentric. The concept of a "church" is pretty much unknown to many religions. The "worldly leader" was also often the head of the state religion. Just think about the Roman Emperor and the Emperor's cult. Or the Muslim Caliph. During the height of English Absolutism the King was also the head of the church (and the Queen still is). According to Thomas Hobbes "Absolutism" is not the separation between the religious sphere and the worldly sphere. Absolutism is when monarchy and church fuse into one.

In history there were multi culture and multi religious armies. Yet it was always difficult to create a common bond in such an army, a common identity. With some charsima perks and state policies one could maybe compensate difficulties with multi religious troops. In my opinion it wouldn't take away freedom, it would make things just a bit more challenging and immersive. And before you ask: I have a B.A. in religious studies and I am currently in my M.A. studies

It would be nice to have religions but I don't think that TW will put anything similar in the game. Though I would like something similar to real religions (excepting the two polemic ones) that ties into the cultures and the history of the factions. Now I could imagine something like: the Imperial factions worshiping the sun\fire (with the Emperor and Higher notables being very important\high into the hierarchy of the cult), Batania and Sturgia something nature related (maybe Druidic), Vlandians close to the Imperial belief but more localized, Kuzaits: celestial horse cult (shamanistic?), Aserai: water, desert (again aristocrats acting as sort of priests).

Religion is a pain in the ass in real life, I do not want the same **** in Bannerlord. There was none in Warband and it was fine.
And it is not because something exist in real life or in other games that it needs to be put in Bannerlord.

It's better with no religion, however, I'd settle for completely made up religions though; it could give more war reasons for like holy wars 'n' all that so there's more depth to diplomacy. Much like how Skyrim has the nine divines.

Empire lore stated that there was a rising cult that was worshiping the late emperor. (Embers of the flame?) So Looks like religion will be a background detail in some aspects of BL. And I prefer that way, mods that I have played with are crusader/jihad centered tend to be a bit boring real quick. So perhaps a certain NPC in a town can offer healing or teaching skills to the payer that is religion connected. Nothing to center on but just a add of spice to the atmosphere.

Leaving religion right out is basically neglecting the opportunity to add to the lore and other game mechanics.
We all know it played a crucial role during medieval times, and if the devs are inspiring on the real world cultures, it makes no sense to omit religion.

Obviously no real world religions,but if they had some of its mechanics implemented we would have a much richer lore, apart from paving way to the modders so that they can emulate religion more realistically in their mods.

Bannerlord does have the concept of 'Culture'. I haven't seen any information about what this entails, gameplay wise, but I have noticed that characters and clans all seem to belong to one or other of the in-game Cultures.
You could infer that each of the cultures represent a shared identity, and that that identity includes religious practices. It may be that characters belonging to a 'foreign' culture are not accepted as readily into a faction's nobility? Perhaps it plays a part in diplomacy or trade as well?

Back
Top Bottom