Will there be information-gathering dialogue in future versions due to the new Fog of war for the encyclopedia or is this the famous BL "vision"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maybe we can finally toss a coin to those beggars and they give us the rumors?
This is really good. I was also thinking about how town/village npcs take you to a notable. Maybe only beggars and street urchins/orphans should take you to meet gang leader notables (and maybe we shouldn't be able to accept quests from gang leaders otherwise, though I'm apprehensive this part since most people wouldn't find this out by themselves probably).

Last edited:
Hahahhahahahahah do you guys seriously expect some immersive content out of this pointles fog of war feature? Seriously?

I stopped playing because of this fog of war. Marriages are half the game planning and those pure lottery now for family members.
Waiting for a mod to remove it.

And you got it. gj guys definitely making the game better.

It's current form sucks and I haven't seen anything saying it is "beta."
Man, it's really easy for you to make his argument look bad by just cutting out all the context in his post, isn't it?

Man, it's really easy for you to make his argument look bad by just cutting out all the context in his post, isn't it?
His argument was bad even before he made that post ("we were asking for something else entirely! honest!"). It was a crap suggestion to start with and remains a crap suggestion and I pointed out specifically why it was crap when it was made over a year ago:
Almost none of this should be the case.

The only reason any of it is this way in the first place is because someone out there thought it would be cool and interesting to wander around the map and it isn't, at least not after the first time. But thanks to that special TW magic, whatever happens once has to be repeated at least nine more times before they give the player any benefit. And that includes wandering the map in search of someone. I wonder where they got the idea this would be fun for players? Probably from the same sort of people who write that they wish the encyclopedia locator were removed because it is too good.

That's about the only thing about BL I'm defending in this thread*: the encyclopedia being useful. If the game is going to make me chase people down (which I also hate), then making me run down a notable just to obsessively ask them where someone else is going isn't "immersion." It is just annoying and putting more steps between dubiously necessary grind and having fun.

Of course, being made with that special TW magic, I'll be doing it literally dozens or hundreds of times in a playthrough for minuscule +2 and +5 bonuses.

A+, top-notch, definitely feel like I'm a character in a living world.
Oh no, wait, make that over two years ago:
But going back to messed up character locator won't actually add any of that, it will just make Neretzes' Folly even worse than it already it.

How could I have foreseen this? What form of witchcraft is being practiced here? I must be Nostradamus or something.

His argument was bad even before he made that post ("we were asking for something else entirely! honest!")
Oh, you're still misrepresenting his argument. Do you do this because you really, really need to create a scenario where you get to yell "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!1"? (Doesn't feel so good when it happens to you, does it?)

Oh, you're still misrepresenting his argument.
I'm not. There is no reason for the thing he got and the things he wanted to be connected: players could happily just not use the encyclopedia if they had the QoL features.

There was (and is) zero reason to assume TW was going to expand upon the system. The devs never said they were. Almost every single feature they've added since release in 2020 has been to check a box and only three of them have been iterated on in a way you'd be able to tell without cracking open dnSpy to go digging through code. And two of those were because of game world balancing concerns, not adding any more content (the one exception being expanded messages).

It is a silly deflection from asking for something that made the game worse instead of just owning their terrible idea.

Like, do you guys really think it will be fun to go around loading up the town screen 50+ times per playthrough just to figure out who has best spouse on offer?

I'm not. There is no reason for the thing he got and the things he wanted to be connected: players could happily just not use the encyclopedia if they had the QoL features.

There was (and is) zero reason to assume TW was going to expand upon the system. The devs never said they were. Almost every single feature they've added since release in 2020 has been to check a box and only three of them have been iterated on in a way you'd be able to tell without cracking open dnSpy to go digging through code. And two of those were because of game world balancing concerns, not adding any more content (the one exception being expanded messages).

It is a silly deflection from asking for something that made the game worse instead of just owning their terrible idea.

Like, do you guys really think it will be fun to go around loading up the town screen 50+ times per playthrough just to figure out who has best spouse on offer?
Life lessons. When suggesting any new feature on Taleworlds forum, you first have to consider how that feature will play if Taleworlds adopts only half of it in the laziest, most unimaginative way possible, because that's most likely what you're gonna get

Life lessons. When suggesting any new feature on Taleworlds forum, you first have to consider how that feature will play if Taleworlds adopts only half of it in the laziest, most unimaginative way possible, because that's most likely what you're gonna get
The crazy part is that this isn't even the first time this has happened. Everyone just kinda... forgot... about TW power-nerfing caravans and then not delivering on promised iterations to keep trading a viable playstyle. They certainly went back in and did some tinkering to fix inflation (as if 99% of players do playthroughs long enough to give a damn) but TW saw the problem was fixed, called it good and then dipped to do something else.

It's annoying, especially because the features they decide to implement give the appearance of being effectively random. Like, some guy had the great idea for a matchmaker NPC in a town or towns, who could help curate the list of potential spouses for players, without having to use the encyclopedia itself. TW ignored that in favor of removing the encyclopedia so now I can't even tell how old this chick is unless I run down her ****ing dad. And who is her dad? I dunno -- can't ask and TW removed the feature that gave the information in the first place.

What he said he wanted was for the player to have immersive and convenient ways of gathering information. You are cutting that entire part out of his post and pretending he only ever asked for FoW.
It is a silly deflection from asking for something that made the game worse instead of just owning their terrible idea
When you cut out half of a good idea it can sound terrible, yes. That's what you're doing right now.
When did he say this? You're still misrepresenting people's arguments.

What he said he wanted was for the player to have immersive and convenient ways of gathering information. You are cutting that entire part out of his post and pretending he only ever asked for FoW.
No, I'm not. It was a deflecting from the core stupidity of asking for the encyclopedia to be gutted. JunKeteer was nothing if not totally clear in all those other threads he considered the previous implementation to be bad. If he'd have advocated keeping the encyclopedia but with added in-person requests, I wouldn't have a thing to say against it.
When did he say this? You're still misrepresenting people's arguments.
He didn't say that but that is what the game becomes when you remove most of the encyclopedia functionality, even with the supposed improvements he requested.

And you got it. gj guys definitely making the game better.
I stand by the change; the way it is implemented/QoL/depth aspects need to be adjusted too.
It's current form sucks and I haven't seen anything saying it is "beta."
Afaik, it's literally in their Beta 1.1.0 version, not mainline? Ideally, that means (they probably did min internal QA) pushing out its current undeveloped state for feedback to fix; whether they do make improvements to it before pushing to mainline TBD - based on their current track record.

No, I'm not. It was a deflecting from the core stupidity of asking for the encyclopedia to be gutted. JunKeteer was nothing if not totally clear in all those other threads he considered the previous implementation to be bad. If he'd have advocated keeping the encyclopedia but with added in-person requests, I wouldn't have a thing to say against it.
Keep in mind, I'm not the developer/shot-caller, nor do I even think they heed a single suggestion from myself here or from anyone else for that matter.
You/others probably relied on it heavily, so the current implement from them feels/looks like a straight gut-removal - which it probably is (I'm still on the mainline) atm. That was not what I nor, I believe, anyone that highlighted its issues advocated for.
The only issue is its global omniscience, especially given TW is a hard-no on messenger systems too (being too 'instant'), yet they have this tool in place?

I shouldn't know where Vlandian Lord X is or where he is near if I'm all the way at Tyal - I don't know where their armies are (proximity) so why should I know that then?
He didn't say that but that is what the game becomes when you remove most of the encyclopedia functionality, even with the supposed improvements he requested.
I never asked to just straight out remove or gut its functionality; just implement it in a way into the game to be a part of the 'game'/playthrough. While trying to retain some semblance of 'realism' still to the game.

Back
Top Bottom