Will there be information-gathering dialogue in future versions due to the new Fog of war for the encyclopedia or is this the famous BL "vision"?

Users who are viewing this thread

vito397

Sergeant Knight
Now, in 1.1.0 there will be fog of war for the encyclopaedia. That means no info about ANYONE. No age, no stats, not even looks. The solution? Go meet them. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, what the game needs now is arduous labouring to meet anyone. Not dialogue, not diplomacy, not even weather. No, we will actively REMOVE information from players, yes.

Now, this would still be immersive if we got features to back it up. Messengers, maybe? Maybe go up to a lord and ask him, "tell me about your clan?", which reveals details about his family, just maybe unlocks them in the encyclopedia. You got a marriage offer? Well good luck having any idea who the person is.

Is this the "vision"? The "design"???

Now, this would still be immersive if we got features to back it up. Messengers, maybe? Maybe go up to a lord and ask him, "tell me about your clan?", which reveals details about his family, just maybe unlocks them in the encyclopedia.
I can't recall there being a dialog option to ask people where other lords are, so I guess you just have to wander aimlessly or sit in a faction leader's town & wait for them to show up so you can offer yourself as a vassal. The encyclopedia was the only way to get location information for lords AFAIK.

How exciting.

People asked for it, and Taleworlds gave it to them.

I mean, I think what people were really asking for was a more immersive way of learning this information than just looking it up in the encyclopedia, but that would be asking for too much

I'm still on the side of having it implemented - and as they said they would do months back. But why they didn't consult or ask in what form the players could possibly want it, who knows. Same reason all the other features that came always had very 'questionable' implementations; only to be left underdeveloped with no depth/QoL improvements to it..

A simple dialogue path with an encountered noble to reveal their clan members is fine; maybe even only for those that have a threshold + relations with you (I'm not going to tell you my clan if I don't know or like you) or dependent on your clan tier/renown for some added depth.

Marriage proposals? Those should've been automatic with the proposal (still needs an option to read their profile before you accidentally click the button too).

Any battles/army fights should auto-populate both the allies and enemies participating in it.

Messenger system absent being a deliberate decision from TW.

Now, in 1.1.0 there will be fog of war for the encyclopaedia. That means no info about ANYONE. No age, no stats, not even looks. The solution? Go meet them. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, what the game needs now is arduous labouring to meet anyone. Not dialogue, not diplomacy, not even weather. No, we will actively REMOVE information from players, yes.
I'm not going to put this one on TW.

People around here actually asked for this garbage.

I can't recall there being a dialog option to ask people where other lords are, so I guess you just have to wander aimlessly or sit in a faction leader's town & wait for them to show up so you can offer yourself as a vassal. The encyclopedia was the only way to get location information for lords AFAIK.

How exciting.
Last seen location is still available even if you haven't met a character.

Messengers, maybe? Maybe go up to a lord and ask him, "tell me about your clan?", which reveals details about his family, just maybe unlocks them in the encyclopedia. You got a marriage offer? Well good luck having any idea who the person is.
Warband had the ability to talk to bards in taverns, who for a small fee would tell you about the eligible lords/ladies in the realm, and their personalities. Bannerlord should recreate that.

And yes, messengers would be excellent.

Just give us a console command or option to remove that fog of war thing so we all leave this nonsense behind and move on
Axing stuff is not the solution! Just add more ways to learn about things: the innkeeper tells you of a lord that died in battle; or a companion got mugged; the commoner talks about the noble of the faction dying; any noble on the road will talk about near-past battle and who died; anyone can tell you about companion X who is renown for having high trade/martial/engineering/whatever.

There are so many things that can be done with this

I simply dont understand why just asking other Lords where Lord SO and SO is got removed?
I feel like anyone in a clan should know where clan members are and probably where the head of another clan is, but they shouldn't be able to tell you where someone from another faction is. I feel like kings should know where other kings are. We really need a messenger system if there's no way to figure out where a lord is besides roaming the forest like Hansel and Gretel.

I feel like anyone in a clan should know where clan members are and probably where the head of another clan is, but they shouldn't be able to tell you where someone from another faction is. I feel like kings should know where other kings are. We really need a messenger system if there's no way to figure out where a lord is besides roaming the forest like Hansel and Gretel.

But what was TW's reasoning for removing this is what Im after? It simply seems like they downgraded from making NPC's slightly interesting to just use an Encyclopedia. That idea seems like it came from a bunch of stoners who thought it was pretty clever at the time...

I'm not going to put this one on TW.

People around here actually asked for this garbage.
No, I think we asked for a less omniscient encyclopedia that is way too unrealistic - you know, just like how TW doesn't want messengers because that's unrealistic (yet we can instant vote). It's current form is not ideal and needs QoL, which in fairness is why it's in beta format.
But whether they make any actionable QoL/depth to elements some of us had assumed they would've considered with the 'FoW' when making the change instead of just bugfixing before pushing as official, that's on them.

Now, this would still be immersive if we got features to back it up. Messengers, maybe? Maybe go up to a lord and ask him, "tell me about your clan?", which reveals details about his family, just maybe unlocks them in the encyclopedia. You got a marriage offer? Well good luck having any idea who the person is.

Is this the "vision"? The "design"???

Hol up, the fog of war isn't counteracted with new features? I was under the assumption that extra questions would be added in order to "fill" the encyclopedia.

Now, I'm just gonna throw it out there... If we had feasts..

But what was TW's reasoning for removing this is what Im after? It simply seems like they downgraded from making NPC's slightly interesting to just use an Encyclopedia. That idea seems like it came from a bunch of stoners who thought it was pretty clever at the time...
Who knows, they make a change like this without explanation. They don't have any way for players to get info except run around the map. You'd think that a company that has been making games for 10+ years would be able to figure out something better but here we are. I love the M&B series but Taleworlds are just bad at actually developing game mechanics.

I think the current FoW can be made salvageable rather easily if they changed it so that we could see character trait(s) and age (or an approximation such as saying that this person is in their mid 30s instead of 36 y.o.) by default, and had the ability to ask villagers/townspeople about their ruling clan to reveal all info about one person (and the bartender to learn all information about the wanderer they're talking about) , as well as asking lords about their clan members and other clan leaders' location and information. We should also instantly learn everything when a lord/merc we summoned arrives at our army (or lords/mercs in an army we join).

All these would make the FoW better and much more immersive than the previous omniscient iteration of the encyclopaedia. It would also give the player a small reason to visit locations and talk to npcs. Also, I don't know if this is already the case, the emissaries that we leave in a town should also gather information about all lords and wanderers that visit said town (maybe even a village bound to the town in the case of lords).

Last edited:
I think the current FoW can be made salvageable rather easily if they changed it so that we could see character trait(s) and age (or an approximation such as saying that this person is in their mid 30s instead of 36 y.o.) by default, and had the ability to ask villagers/townspeople about their ruling clan to reveal all info about one person (and the bartender to learn all information about the wanderer they're talking about) , as well as asking lords about their clan members and other clan leaders' location and information. We should also instantly learn everything when a lord/merc we summoned arrives at our army (or lords/mercs in an army we join).
Maybe we can finally toss a coin to those beggars and they give us the rumors?

Back
Top Bottom