Will the Battanians get Commoner Archers

Users who are viewing this thread

If I recall, this was a result of TW choosing a simple solution for a complex problem.

In the beginning, Battanians were absolutely hammered because the autocalc (which all AI uses) gives the advantage to cavalry and they had none.

So, rather than improving the autocalc, which by all accounts is very basic and not at all what you'd expect it to be at the min, i.e. actually resembling the results of a fight that would have occurred had you joined and simply delegate immediately; it seems they've preferred to give every faction more cavalry.

At the rate we're going, perhaps it will not be too long before Sturgians get horse archers. That ought to stop the Kuzait steamroller!
Eh, I noticed their larger than usual quantity of cavalry even before the changes happened. I also did not notice Battania being absolutely steamrolled- the opposite really. To me, they were always one of the factions with the potential to build momentum.

And eh, perhaps. TW has changed Sturgia's troops before. Don't see why they wouldn't try again now.

Last edited:
Eh, I noticed their larger than usual quantity of cavalry even before the changes happened. I also did not notice Battania being absolutely steamrolled- the opposite really. To me, they were always one of the factions with the potential to build momentum.

And eh, perhaps. TW has changed Sturgia's troops before. Don't see why they wouldn't try again now.

Pre 1.5.x, I'm pretty sure Battanians didn't field so many horses.

On 1.5.6 and 1.5.7, in my games at least, Battania gets steamrolled by Vladians in the first year and totally without my input.

Read Battania's faction description when you pick them as a faction. Nothing about bows, it actually says they use two-handed swords and great axes.

I still don't understand where people are getting the idea from that Battania was ever "meant" to have regular archers. Fians already cover the angle of being ranged elites. But Battania's overall specialty is actually meant to be two-hander shock infantry charges.

Read Battania's faction description when you pick them as a faction. Nothing about bows, it actually says they use two-handed swords and great axes.

I still don't understand where people are getting the idea from that Battania was ever "meant" to have regular archers. Fians already cover the angle of being ranged elites. But Battania's overall specialty is actually meant to be two-hander shock infantry charges.
Based on that description alone, the "admissable" Battanian units are:
  1. Fian line
  2. Falxmen
Not even veteran falxmen, since the warrazor is a polearm. Every other Battanian unit uses something that's not a two-handed sword or great axe. Actually, not a single Battanian unit uses a great axe.
Upon closer reading, that description specifically says their noblemen fight with the aforementioned weapons. So overall I would not give it a lot of weight in this discussion.

Based on that description alone, the "admissable" Battanian units are:
  1. Fian line
  2. Falxmen
Not even veteran falxmen, since the warrazor is a polearm. Every other Battanian unit uses something that's not a two-handed sword or great axe. Actually, not a single Battanian unit uses a great axe.
Which I think is an excellent reason to give them a unit branch that uses a great axe at T5, replacing the melee cavalry unit. After all, this discussion is about whether to give them a new unit. There's no reason in the game for giving them a regular archer, but there is a reason in the game for giving them a shock infantry troop with a great axe.
Upon closer reading, that description specifically says their noblemen fight with the aforementioned weapons. So overall I would not give it a lot of weight in this discussion.
It says "EVEN their noblemen". The way that language is being used means that Battanians tend to fight using shock infantry tactics and the nobles are no exception, despite it not being usual for the noblemen -- which makes sense, considering the Fian Champions carry two-handed swords.

The strength of the Batannians is their skirmishers. They are some of the best in the game. If you pair them with oathsworn and Falxmen, you have a very powerful and flexible infantry.

they don’t get commoner archers because of this which is perfectly fine. They are meant to be close up, throwing weapons with powerful shock troops. You have their cavalry for harassment and again, another skirmisher

they are not the English
Of course they aren’t English, but that doesn’t mean they can’t have archers. As they are primarily focused on the Celtic peoples of Britain and Ireland, I think Classical Celts shouldn’t have such a significant impact as they aren’t medieval. The Welsh- which during this time refers to all the Britons (which represents at least at least a third of the inspiration pie if you will) had good archers, brilliant archers in South Wales. The Picts and later Scots (representing another third) also had very decent archers. The Irish also eventually started to use bows after the vikings came about (and would be using them by the year 1000ad). Also archers are iconic in people mind when it comes to woodland warfare- possibly due to Tolkien’s elves. The English, who made insignificant use of archery (except in rare occasions) only became an archer power because of the Welsh- in a similar way the Sturgians becoming the Vaegiers can be like the English taking up archery in that respect. We aren’t asking for open field archer tactics for the battanians (although I know the battle of a Crug Mawr saw the welsh do this against the Normans with around 2000 longbow men)https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofWales/The-Battle-of-Crug-Mawr/ what I will say is that having noble archers is bizarre without there being a strong archery tradition. If you don’t want common archers, what sense does keeping noble archers make- especially for a Celtic faction who often see their nobles and kings lead from the front as either horsemen or infantry. Archer nobles would be viewed as cowards, unless the common people join them in doing so. When it comes to the Celts, you must focus primarily on the nobles. As I’ve said in a different forum, the Battanians should be the ambush faction and although javelins are good for this- archers are better and would allow shock infantry to be as effective as they can be- still keep javelins to combine with the bows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom