Will smithing ever be fixed or at least rebalanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

I've found that power-leveling smithing too early in the game can hurt your progress later on. You can gain so many levels so quickly that it makes all your other skills slower to level, even with the extra focus points you got by smithing. Now I just reserve it for companions
Yeah that's what I would do too. Also it's so easy to powerlevel smithing that it makes sense to save it for when you're growth is already very slow on MC, IF you wanted to. What I don't like too is that all the 100s of "crafted 2 handed sword " and "crafted javelin" types seems to make the .sav bigger and bigger and it felt like it slowed the whole game down a bit.

As it stands right now, smithing is pretty much broken: even if you aren't trying to use exploits, crafting javelins with naturally stronger metal parts will results in insane prices, which is hard not to sell. Meanwhile, some two-handed sword with insane secondary damage is still less than a bunch of wooden sticks with slightly sharpened metal parts attached to them, just because those wooden sticks have more kick to their first damage type. Plus pretty much any character can take up on this: you could be the dumbest person with the worst physical state, but you are still be able to learn smithing pretty fast.

In Warband, the money-making were toned down to a level where it was more balanced: while dyeworks gave you the most amount of money, it's cost was pretty high and was just a side business to keep your army afloat. While there was another method of making money (which could be compared to smithing), which is stealing cattle from a village, slaughtering them, then selling their meat. It might have been considered broken in early game, it became pretty much obsolete later. Plus it decreased your relations with the affected villages.

This has been a problem since release, and this, in my opinion pretty much invalidates/makes any other money-making methods pitifully bad by comparison.

There is so much in the game that just doesn't work and isn't balanced. I think they need to make smithing a zero sum game but leave the function of it in as follows-

#1 Get rid of all the ores and wood in the game as trade goods. Just eliminate it because they can't ever balance anything and they already have so many trade goods that aren't balanced well. Simplify it. If it's too much trouble leave iron ore and wood in the game but remove them from smithing process. Make smithing not use materials of any kind. It is a cool idea but the game is already so far behind and broken in so many areas. The devs of this game need to realize that they are not managed well as a team or talented enough individually to have the game do half of the things they are trying to do. Smithing can stay in if they remove the complication. End of story.

#2 Smithing now allows you to make any weapon you have the design for or to scrap weapons for money. Scrapping regular weapons gives you 10% less gold return than selling in the store but levels your smithing and gives you new designs. Smithing allows you to make any weapon you can imagine with a set cost. These weapons can not be sold to the regular stores, instead they can only be scrapped at a 10% gold loss.

Leveling smithing gives you access to better designs but it costs gold over time. The more you smith the more leveling and designs you get. You keep all the options to smith whatever you want like it is now. They could add more designs or armor etc. later if ever they fix all the other broken stuff which probalby never happens in 50 years but it would be less problematic by removing materials and refining et.c etc. from it and simplifying mechanics (and balancing much better).....

Also they should remove stamina but instead have time pass as you smith and scrap. the stamina perks that deal with smithing stamina could instead just speed up or slow down the time it takes. Let's say 30 minutes to scrap and 1 hour to smith. In reality smithing an item can take up to a couple days but lets face it, in the current model you can have your party whip out like 50 javelins in a split second so it's already super unrealistic....

They could have a queue where you set up a bunch of things to be scrapped and smithed and then it takes a few days and those items are finished but let's face it they don't have the competence to code something like that so they should just forget it....

To make the game realistic guys running around fighitng and trading and so on don't have time to smith in medieval tech levels. Smithing weapons is a full-time skill intensive job that requires a lot of specialized equipment and materials. You can't just walk into some town and barge into the local blacksmith's shop and whip out a few dozen weapons then leave the next day.. COMPLETELY KILLS ANY SENSE OF IMMERSION OR REALITY.

In reality you would be very unlikely to be welcome in someone else's shop unless you were their lord and in order to efficiently make weapons you would need weeks to months of day-in and day-out training and whatever specialized stuff you were trying to make you'd need time and preparation to put it all together before just spitting out your weapons. You'd need to time to get the right tools and materials etc.....

anyway this smithing thing is beyond the competence and resources of current devs to balance and make realistic. It should be just simplified. Less is more.

I don't know if they get any multiplier or not. It seems like any weapon that does over 100d or so skyrockets the price, but only the first listed weapon mode counts. So most polearms that are 1H/2H with the 1H listed first get priced very cheaply. It doesn't even look at the other weapon modes. But if you make a 2H-only polearm with 100+ damage it sells for obscene money too.

Not a polearm, but a 2-hander with over 100 damage, 10K denars.
TUrqnqY.png

(The Western Hooked Axe above at 16K is slightly less damage, shorter reach and slightly faster, so it isn't just raw damage contributing the bulk or else that thing would be equal or less than the Executioner's Axe. It is still over 100 damage though.)

Thrown weapons get some bizarre multiplier thrown in for some reason though. Even mediocre ones sell for a fat five digits.

yeah they still have a lot of price balancing to do at the market

hold your horses its def being worked on and we can see changes developing due time. Ex now at least it saves your smith setting while you can do other stuff in between like melting and stuff so that was a good add on.
But i can understand since ive been here myself at times ^^

I love smithing but it needs some work in balance for sure and some tweaks around the different weapon types. However its not as grindy as people say, but my guess they dont like to work for stuff either :wink: And smithing should be a hard days work, just saying.
Also maybe you could mix in silver as needed for more advance and pimped out weapons. I mean the ores are in the game :smile:
Smithing my own silver sword? Why does that sound so familiar?

Smithing my own silver sword? Why does that sound so familiar?
Did you also took an arrow to the knee ? :wink: no but it got to me while seeing the other ores in game thinking why not using em for those decorated weapons later because now they are just trading goods

Did you also took an arrow to the knee ? :wink: no but it got to me while seeing the other ores in game thinking why not using em for those decorated weapons later because now they are just trading goods
OH NO, what if they're not fixing smithing prices because somebody on the team said "This is just like the enchanted daggers in skyrim" and they all took it as a complement! Is there an invisible chest too?

Not a polearm, but a 2-hander with over 100 damage, 10K denars.
TUrqnqY.png

(The Western Hooked Axe above at 16K is slightly less damage, shorter reach and slightly faster, so it isn't just raw damage contributing the bulk or else that thing would be equal or less than the Executioner's Axe. It is still over 100 damage though.)

Thrown weapons get some bizarre multiplier thrown in for some reason though. Even mediocre ones sell for a fat five digits.
You're right. I forgot all about the axes. They always get priced lower for some reason, probably the slower speed and handling. On the other hand, swinging 2H-only polearms are super slow and they get priced at the maximum. The formulas are pretty weird

There is so much in the game that just doesn't work and isn't balanced. I think they need to make smithing a zero sum game but leave the function of it in as follows-

#1 Get rid of all the ores and wood in the game as trade goods. Just eliminate it because they can't ever balance anything and they already have so many trade goods that aren't balanced well. Simplify it. If it's too much trouble leave iron ore and wood in the game but remove them from smithing process. Make smithing not use materials of any kind. It is a cool idea but the game is already so far behind and broken in so many areas. The devs of this game need to realize that they are not managed well as a team or talented enough individually to have the game do half of the things they are trying to do. Smithing can stay in if they remove the complication. End of story.

#2 Smithing now allows you to make any weapon you have the design for or to scrap weapons for money. Scrapping regular weapons gives you 10% less gold return than selling in the store but levels your smithing and gives you new designs. Smithing allows you to make any weapon you can imagine with a set cost. These weapons can not be sold to the regular stores, instead they can only be scrapped at a 10% gold loss.

Leveling smithing gives you access to better designs but it costs gold over time. The more you smith the more leveling and designs you get. You keep all the options to smith whatever you want like it is now. They could add more designs or armor etc. later if ever they fix all the other broken stuff which probalby never happens in 50 years but it would be less problematic by removing materials and refining et.c etc. from it and simplifying mechanics (and balancing much better).....

Also they should remove stamina but instead have time pass as you smith and scrap. the stamina perks that deal with smithing stamina could instead just speed up or slow down the time it takes. Let's say 30 minutes to scrap and 1 hour to smith. In reality smithing an item can take up to a couple days but lets face it, in the current model you can have your party whip out like 50 javelins in a split second so it's already super unrealistic....

They could have a queue where you set up a bunch of things to be scrapped and smithed and then it takes a few days and those items are finished but let's face it they don't have the competence to code something like that so they should just forget it....

To make the game realistic guys running around fighitng and trading and so on don't have time to smith in medieval tech levels. Smithing weapons is a full-time skill intensive job that requires a lot of specialized equipment and materials. You can't just walk into some town and barge into the local blacksmith's shop and whip out a few dozen weapons then leave the next day.. COMPLETELY KILLS ANY SENSE OF IMMERSION OR REALITY.

In reality you would be very unlikely to be welcome in someone else's shop unless you were their lord and in order to efficiently make weapons you would need weeks to months of day-in and day-out training and whatever specialized stuff you were trying to make you'd need time and preparation to put it all together before just spitting out your weapons. You'd need to time to get the right tools and materials etc.....

anyway this smithing thing is beyond the competence and resources of current devs to balance and make realistic. It should be just simplified. Less is more.

I really like your suggestions. Especially the part about smithing being a FULLTIME HIGH SKILL PROFESSION. If this is my own game I would just delete the smithing skill and have commission from shop instead - Create a design then pay a NPC to make it for you.

I agree that simplifying is the way to go. And add Commission for both custom-designed weapons and high-level armors. That's how kings and nobles obtains their gears historically, they paid or ordered some artisans to make stuffs for them. It will also serve as gold sinks, just make top-tier armors and fancy weapons exclusive from artisans, with an obscene price tag. That is way more immersive than whatever they are trying to do.

I think they dont fix smithing cause the economy is so bad. How long would it take for people to complain when the best income source gets deleted?
How long would it take for them to realize they can make a not-:poop: party and beat up lords and get money easily and actually enjoy the games main feature and not sit around waiting for stamina and peddling javlins from town to town forever?

The value of smithed weapons explode in a exponential way. Exponential prices are a good thing
Sorry, but no. Exponential is nearly never a good thing, it leads to runaway growth and ridiculous numbers that break everything. In fact, yet another aspect that is broken by smithing (leveling up characters) is due to exponential growth (in xp required to level up).

The way to fix smithing is twofolds :
- Remove the exponential pricing. Make pricing much, much more linear.
- Increase the time and effort needed to make better products.

I don't think smithing is THAT broken. I think it's just about turning the number knobs to land it into "acceptable" territory.

I think they dont fix smithing cause the economy is so bad. How long would it take for people to complain when the best income source gets deleted?

Yeah nobody wants to talk about that. The game is already pretty boring and tedious. Imagine if you couldn't smith and had to ride around the map trading, killing looters/mountain bandits for the first 2-3 hrs (if playing on realistic) just to get enough gold for your first Caravan/workshop.

I also think most of these guys who worship the game, use cheats on every new playthrough to skip the tedious bits. That's just my speculation though.

I also think most of these guys who worship the game, use cheats on every new playthrough to skip the tedious bits. That's just my speculation though.

That's honestly the best explanation I've heard, because there is no other way any real person could play 400 hours of this (assuming theyre not lying for clout) and still say theyre enjoying the game. I had very low expectations and was ready to turn my brain off and run around killing people, but even then there was too much wrong with bannerlord for me to get in more than a handful of hours.

Almost nobody uses cheats, because everyone was reporting the death cam bug and it took weeks before someone pointed out that the death cam worked fine with cheat mode enabled.

Yeah nobody wants to talk about that. The game is already pretty boring and tedious. Imagine if you couldn't smith and had to ride around the map trading, killing looters/mountain bandits for the first 2-3 hrs (if playing on realistic) just to get enough gold for your first Caravan/workshop.

That's a bit too much don't you think? we can complain about unbalanced/broken things to help them be improved while also enjoying what's there currently no? to me atleast the tedious bit comes late game where it's less fleshed out currently, the early/mid game are the best parts and i'm always starting new saves to replay them again in different scenarios (even more so with the bugs and constant updates of EA, not going to commit to a full blown playthrough only to lose it later in an update or something for now)

Never smithed and definitely don't cheat. Also you should run around and do tournaments to get money at first for you caravan/workshop. At clan level 0 you can basically double your money at tournaments. I highly suggest just hoping from town to town until you have a full set of gear and at least enough money to get your first caravan going. You don't even need troops because your so fast solo no one can catch you if you aren't just autopathing. With the AI so easy to beat, this is not difficult even on realistic(with the exception of Battanian 2-hd tournaments, **** you caladog and your crush through one shots).

I typically do this until clan tier 1 and then I start recruiting and questing as well to build relations with village notables that I want. After clan tier 1 tournaments lose their profitability, so that's when you should either start being a mercenary or join up as a vassal.

If all you do is fight bandit and looters, you simply don't know how to play.

Last edited:
Never smithed and definitely don't cheat. Also you should run around and do tournaments to get money at first for you caravan/workshop. At clan level 0 you can basically double your money at tournaments. I highly suggest just hoping from town to town until you have a full set of gear and at least enough money to get your first caravan going. You don't even need troops because your so fast solo no one can catch you if you aren't just autopathing. With the AI so easy to beat, this is not difficult even on realistic(with the exception of Battanian 2-hd tournaments, **** you caladog and your crush through one shots).

I typically do this until clan tier 1 and then I start recruiting and questing as well to build relations with village notables that I want. After clan tier 1 tournaments lose their profitability, so that's when you should either start being a mercenary or join up as a vassal.

If all you do is fight bandit and looters, you simply don't know how to play.

First of all, doing tournaments is simply another example of exploiting bad AI and design, it may not be as ridiculous as Smithing, but its similar. You can win in tournaments with no gear, and no skills, right off the bat - so you're just exploiting really, its just not as egregious as Smithing.

Secondly, no one said just kill bandits and looters, trading was also considered. Trading is essentially the primary way to getting money early on without exploiting tournaments or Smithing, and also working on the main questline. You can make lots of money trading in 2 hrs, if you know what to do, its just tedious after the 3rd or 4th time - much like most of the game currently.

I call bull**** on all of you who claim to have never cheated. We can't demonstrate our positions, so their is no point arguing over it, i'm just stating that I think your full of it. Its just seems like total bull**** to me, especially you special folks with over 300hrs, haven't skipped a head a little bit, when really all your doing is saving time, not really missing out on anything new or different because the game is literally the same every time. (bye bye Sturgia and Empire, hello Khuzaits)

Lastly, this game is not complicated, there is nothing complex or interesting to do, don't act like their is a "knowing how to play". There isn't, unless your talking about knowing how to exploit the AI and piss poor design.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom