Why wouldn't developers officially integrate mods like Diplomacy, Fourberie etc. into the base game?

Users who are viewing this thread

There's no legitimate answer to this question which wouldn't immediately descend into conspiratorial speculation on why the developers generally can't / don't bring out a good game out of Bannerlord.

There's no legitimate answer to this question which wouldn't immediately descend into conspiratorial speculation on why the developers generally can't / don't bring out a good game out of Bannerlord.
TW official answer on this is wanting to keep a certain level of 'code integrity' and a not wanting to introduce 'foreign code structures' when the game is still unfinished... and is still a work in progress. This is a pretty standard reason why most companies don't integrate mods. Certainly not before official 'full release' date anyway.

I understand why devs wouldn't answer to that question. What I sincerely expect from them is at least considering the option I suggested. Because this game lacks core gameplay elements which should've exist already. The most important and urgent element this game lacking is diplomatic actions in my opinion.

If Taleworlds is planning to implement diplomatic actions like non-aggression pacts, alliances, alliances trough marriages, war reasons/justifications, trade deals etc. before the release by themselves, I'm totally okay with that. But If they're not planning to develop this issue and think current system is enough for this game, then I suggest that they should implement Diplomacy mod instead. Because this game should not be considered "done" until diplomatic relations, which is the core element of campaign gameplay, gets properly implemented to the game.

I think doing so might be less straightforward than it seems, especially if they already have their own plans for those areas of the game.

Personally I think making the game as open to modding as possible and as stable and optimized as possible is much more important than integrating modded features into the game. I don't mind playing the game with a bunch of mods if updates stop breaking them.

Core systemic features like ai behaviour, physics, pathfinding and so forth are the things that must be polished and advanced because those things aren't easy to mod. Those are also the things that are currently causing the most problems imo. I want them to put the priorities on those aspects if there is any question of resource priorities involved.

Balancing is also important I think, because even if that's easy to mod bad vanilla balance means modders don't have a good baseline to start from, and it also leads to a situation where multiplayer and singleplayer combat feels too different which isn't good. So I think looking at vanilla balance, especially missiles and armour, and getting those right before release should also be more important than features that mods can fulfill anyways.

Also other mod friendly games don't do this either, for example you don't see rimworld taking in the vanilla expanded mods as official even though many people consider them direct upgrades to the game. There is probably a reason for that even if I don't know exactly what it is.

I would say overall TW has worked with modders more than most devs, even if there are lots of issues. Just looking at the mod based versions of warband VQ and so forth is a pretty unusual thing to happen in game development.

If they don't have some kind of official diplomacy or at least messaging system for running your kingdom then this game will be dead on arrival. It's absurd having to try and track down a random person somewhere in calradia just so you can have a personal talk with him, while your holdings are being taken over back at home. Utterly idiotic and makes the lategame unplayabhle.

Good question. When would you add new (but kind of core) features better than in early access?

However I'm not sure I'd wish TW to implement such stuff, speaking for example from my experience with the ingenious new battle group slider feature. As strange as it sounds in the first place, often modders who have a high internal interest to make something they like better and who putd a huge amount of their precious and mostly unpaid for time into it, may be better suited for some improvement than paid people in their limited worktime. Take for example the mod Divide et Impera for Rome II Total War, changing a kind of crappy game into the best what CA had to offer. I presume the time invested in the mod would be hardly payable by a commercial enterprise. TW should make as many things as possible moddable and the wall of hard coded stuff modders bump against often as small as possible.

1. They have their own list of planned features.
2. Needs to be compatible with consoles.
3. Must not cause performance issues.
4. Must not be foreign code, so they must reimplement everything from the start.
5. Must not "add micromanagement".
6. Must not be confusing for mainstream audiance.
7. Must be tested to be compatible with every new code refactor.
8. Must not waste time from doing a code refactor grindset.

Last edited:
Then pay them like Bohemia Interactive does
Can they realistically do that? How much is a mod worth? They tend to be labors of love that take quite a bit of time. Paying a fair price would be pretty close to hiring a bunch of subcontractors. Offering peanuts would be insulting.

I mean, I'm not opposed to the idea, but is it workable?

Can they realistically do that? How much is a mod worth? They tend to be labors of love that take quite a bit of time. Paying a fair price would be pretty close to hiring a bunch of subcontractors. Offering peanuts would be insulting.

I mean, I'm not opposed to the idea, but is it workable?

Bohemia after realizing how much money mods can make them (selling over 2 million copies after DayZ mod released) - offered up a multi prized contest for prizes of up to $200,000 for major mods like RHS (who won) and $100,000 for great missions -3 winners. After that they now run a strictly mod makers DLC policy for the last 6 years and that works as well. They've also been known to subcontract out or outright hire talented scripters.

What a stupid question. You may disagree but they obviously don't want those features ingame. It's not like those mods come with some revolutionary genius feature, it's deliberaty design choises made to not include such features mostly to leave the game be a bit simpler and also because some of those are simply things the devs don't want in the game because it doesn't fit their view of what the game should be.

That's because they hate the concept of actually controlling your character and his/her acts. They run away from immersion, aka "micromanagement" word they made up to cover their incompetence.

In other words, they want this Fortnite brat who can't comprehend anything other than fast paced action games to buy the game too so that's why developers deliberately avoid everything that made Warband a legend
Haha either you've never played Bannerlord or never played Warband. They've added everything Warband had except useless stuff like feasts (yeah, fan favorite I know) or quest like "deliver a message"

Maybe the fact that they never ever tell us what are they working on currently and the best we can get (if we're VERY lucky) is "No patch this week, no ETA"?
They literally have a post about what they are working on/will work on implementing.

1. They have their own list of planned features.
2. Needs to be compatible with consoles.
3. Must not cause performance issues.
4. Must not be foreign code, so they must reimplement everything from the start.
5. Must not "add micromanagement".
6. Must not be confusing for mainstream audiance.
7. Must be tested to be compatible with every new code refactor.
8. Must not waste time from doing a code refactor grindset.

True words.

Haha either you've never played Bannerlord or never played Warband. They've added everything Warband had except useless stuff like feasts (yeah, fan favorite I know) or quest like "deliver a message"
Really? Well i have been playing Bannerlord since last year and i yet to see sending ambassadors, lord shenanigans, lady stuff you mess until marriage, diplomatic missions, village upgrades, personal relationship scores for each noble apart from their faction, all those immersive dialogs with nobles and literally a bucket list of features which would take an essay to list all of them

Your comment about features that enhance immersion such as feasts is screaming how kitschy you are by the way, target audience of Taleworlds. People like you are the ultimate reason why this game sucks the moment you leave the battle and look at the other aspects of game.

Really? Well i have been playing Bannerlord since last year and i yet to see sending ambassadors, lord shenanigans, lady stuff you mess until marriage, diplomatic missions, village upgrades, personal relationship scores for each noble apart from their faction, all those immersive dialogs with nobles and literally a bucket list of features which would take an essay to list all of them

Your comment about features that enhance immersion such as feasts is screaming how kitschy you are by the way, target audience of Taleworlds. People like you are the ultimate reason why this game sucks the moment you leave the battle and look at the other aspects of game.
battle sucks too tbh

Back
Top Bottom